Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Crashes, Injuring Dozens
Nov 16, 2023 5:55 PM CST
Commuter Train Crashes, Injuring Dozens
- A commuter train collided with rail equipment Thursday morning in Chicago, injuring nearly 40 people, some of them critically, fire officials said. The city's Fire Department said the Chicago Transit Authority train crashed into snow-removal equipment just before 10:35am on the North Side near the Howard CTA station....
India Blames Deadly
Train Crash on Signal Error
Jun 4, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
India Blames Deadly Train Crash on Signal Error
Electronic system apparently misfired in derailments that killed more than 300
- The derailment in eastern India that killed more than 300 people and injured hundreds was caused by an error in the electronic signaling system, officials said Sunday. Preliminary investigations revealed that a signal was given to the high-speed Coromandel Express to run on the main track line, but the signal...
Dozens Dead, Hundreds
Trapped as Indian Trains Derail
Jun 2, 2023 2:36 PM CDT
Dozens Dead, Hundreds Trapped as Indian Trains Derail
Accident happened in Odisha state
- Two passenger trains derailed in India on Friday, killing at least 50 people and trapping hundreds of others inside more than a dozen damaged coaches, officials said. About 400 people were injured and taken to hospitals after the accident, which happened nearly 1,000 miles northwest of the capital of...
Latest Train Derailment
Spilled a Lot of Beer
Apr 3, 2023 10:52 AM CDT
Latest Train Derailment Spilled a Lot of Beer
Cars in Montana derailment were reportedly carrying Coors Light, Blue Moon
- About 25 train cars derailed Sunday in northwestern Montana, with no injuries or evacuations reported, reports the AP . The reason for the lack of evacuations, per
USA Today :
The cars were either empty or carrying beer, specifically Coors Light and Blue Moon. The cars derailed near the town of Paradise...
Another Train Flies Off the
Tracks in Fiery Accident
Mar 30, 2023 8:07 AM CDT
Another Train Flies Off the Tracks in Fiery Accident
BNSF train carrying ethanol, corn syrup derails in Raymond, Minnesota; local homes evacuated
- A train hauling ethanol and corn syrup derailed and caught fire in Minnesota early Thursday, and nearby residents were ordered to evacuate their homes, authorities said. The AP reports that a BNSF train derailed in the town of Raymond, roughly 100 miles west of Minneapolis, at about 1am, according to...
Train Driver to
Blow Red Light
Mar 4, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Audio Reveals Directive for Train Driver to Blow Red Light
'Go, go,' urged stationmaster who's since been arrested after Greek train crash that killed 57
- The death toll from Tuesday's train crash in Greece rose to 57 as of Thursday, and Greek rail workers went on strike to protest working conditions and what they say is an outdated rail system. Now, a new development: dispatch audio in which one of the drivers of the...
Greek Rail Workers Strike
After Crash Kills 43
Mar 2, 2023 4:15 AM CST
Greek Rail Workers Strike After Crash Kills 43
They're protesting working conditions, lack of modernization
- Rescuers using cranes and heavy machinery on Thursday searched the wreckage of trains involved in a deadly collision that sent Greece into national mourning and prompted strikes and protests over rail safety. The death toll from Wednesday's head-on crash involving a passenger train and freight train remained at 43...
After Horrific Train Crash,
an Arrest and a Resignation
Mar 1, 2023 10:30 AM CST
After Horrific Train Crash, an Arrest and a Resignation
Station manager charged with manslaughter by negligence
- There's nothing left of the front two carriages of a passenger train that collided with a freight train near Tempe, Greece, on Tuesday. The cars, which caught fire, are "completely destroyed," the BBC reports, adding it's unclear how many people died. The death toll stands at...
29 Dead, 85 Hurt in
Greece Train Disaster
Feb 28, 2023 10:17 PM CST
29 Dead, 85 Hurt in Greece Train Disaster
'This is a terrible night ... It’s hard to describe the scene'
This story has been updated with the most recent death toll.
A passenger train collided with an oncoming freight train in northern Greece early Wednesday, killing 29 people and injuring at least 85, Fire Service officials said. Multiple train cars derailed and at least three caught fire after the crash...
Feb 18, 2023 10:00 AM CST
NTSB Chief Pleads: Stop 'Misleading a Suffering Community'
Jennifer Homendy asks people to stop spreading 'misinformation' on Ohio train derailment
- It's been more than two weeks since a Norfolk Southern freight train derailed in East Palestine, Ohio, and information continues to trickle out on the incident—as well as misinformation, which the head of the National Transportation Safety Board is now trying to stop. In what ABC News calls...
At Ohio Town Hall for Residents,
Train Company Is a No-Show
Feb 16, 2023 9:15 AM CST
At Ohio Town Hall for Residents, Train Company Is a No-Show
Norfolk Southern cited safety issues
- There were shouts and boos in the packed gym of East Palestine High School on Wednesday night after the mayor told residents of the Ohio town that representatives from the company involved in the train derailment earlier this month would not be showing up. Hundreds of people came to the...
Report: Workers on Derailed
Train Thought It Was Too Big
Feb 16, 2023 6:41 AM CST
Report: Workers on Derailed Train Thought It Was Too Big
'If nothing changes, it will happen again,' says rep for one of the Norfolk Southern workers unions
- The chemical-laden freight train that derailed in East Palestine, Ohio, on Feb. 3 was a rather large one: more than 150 cars, stretching for 9,300 feet and weighing 18,000 tons. Now, Norfolk Southern workers are saying they were concerned before the accident about the train's size, and...
He Was an Extra in a
Disaster Movie. Now, It's Real
Feb 13, 2023 8:56 AM CST
He Was an Extra in a Disaster Movie. Now, It's Real
Derailment of train with toxic chemicals in Ohio has locals worried about the long term
- Earlier this month, a freight train carrying chemicals derailed in Ohio , and authorities decided the safest course of action was a controlled burn. The result was a massive plume of toxic smoke . (See this photo from an airplane .) Authorities have given the all-clear for evacuated residents of East Palestine,...
Locals Say Everyone Knew
Amtrak Crash Site Was Unsafe
Jun 28, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Locals Say Everyone Knew Amtrak Crash Site Was Unsafe
Missouri farmer posted video saying that very thing on June 11
- A fourth person has died due to injuries suffered when an Amtrak train traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago struck a dump truck and derailed Monday afternoon in a remote area of Missouri, reports the AP . They are the third passenger to die; the driver of the dump truck was...
After Plane Crash, Cops Rescue
Pilot Seconds Before Train Hit
Jan 10, 2022 9:05 AM CST
After Plane Crash, Cops Rescue Pilot Seconds Before Train Hit
Watch as police pull pilot from small aircraft from tracks right before train smashes into it
- One very lucky pilot in California is alive after surviving not one, but two back-to-back crashes over the weekend. Per the LAPD's Valley Bureau , a small plane lost power and crashed onto the railroad tracks in the Pacoima neighborhood of Los Angeles on Sunday, with ABC7 noting the accident...
The Car Tried to Get Around
the Gate. Then: 'Boom! Boom!'
Dec 31, 2021 10:30 AM CST
The Car Tried to Get Around the Gate. Then: 'Boom! Boom!'
2 are dead in Aventura, Fla., after commuter train hits their car trying to cross tracks
- Two people in Aventura, Fla., died when a higher-speed commuter train hit their car as the driver tried to make it around the crossing gate, police said. The crossing gate's lights were flashing and bells were ringing to signal an approaching train on Thursday morning when the car tried...
At Least 35 Dead After
Pakistan Train Collision
Jun 7, 2021 12:08 AM CDT
At Least 35 Dead After Pakistan Train Collision
As many as 20 passengers are still trapped
- Two express trains collided in southern Pakistan early Monday, killing at least 35 passengers, authorities said, as rescuers and villagers worked to pull injured people and more bodies from the wreckage. Between 15 and 20 passengers are still trapped in the wreckage of the Millat Express train and authorities were...
Train Collision Injures
More Than 200
May 25, 2021 12:39 AM CDT
Train Collision Injures More Than 200
3 are in critical condition in Malaysia incident
- Two light rail trains collided in a tunnel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, injuring more than 200 people, in the first major crash for the 23-year-old metro system, the AP reports. Pictures on social media after the Monday night collision showed bloodied passengers, some lying on the floor of the carriage...
Truck Operator in Devastating
Train Crash Speaks Out
Apr 5, 2021 12:48 AM CDT
Truck Operator in Devastating Train Crash Speaks Out
And more on the Taiwan tragedy
- As authorities investigate whether it was indeed a failure to set the parking brake that caused an unmanned crane truck to slide down a hill in Taiwan, where a train hit it , the operator of the truck is speaking out. "I am deeply remorseful and want to express my...
Nobody Set Truck's Parking
Brake, and Tragedy Ensues
Apr 2, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Nobody Set Truck's Parking Brake, and Tragedy Ensues
Death toll in Taiwan train crash grows to 51
- The cause of the deadliest rail tragedy in decades in Taiwan appears to be distressingly simple. Somebody parked a construction vehicle but neglected to engage the parking brake, say government officials, per the AP . The truck rolled downhill and came to rest at the mouth of a railroad tunnel, where...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.