Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Women on TV
Nov 22, 2021 1:54 AM CST
Taliban Issues 'Guidelines' for Women on TV
For example, it doesn't want women appearing in TV dramas
- The Taliban would like to see no more women appearing in TV dramas or soap operas in Afghanistan. The militant Islamist group, which took control of the country in August, also wants female journalists and TV presenters to wear hijabs when appearing on television, the BBC reports. This is the...
Taliban Abruptly Bans All
Foreign Currency Transactions
Nov 3, 2021 5:16 PM CDT
Taliban Abruptly Bans All Foreign Currency Transactions
Those who fail to use the afghani will be punished, group says
- Afghanistan's battered economy took another heavy blow Tuesday when the Taliban abruptly declared a total ban on the use of all foreign currencies. American dollars are widely used in markets and the currencies of neighboring countries are often used in border areas. The Taliban said anybody who failed to...
For 2nd Straight Week,
Mosque Attack Kills Dozens
Oct 15, 2021 8:55 AM CDT
For 2nd Straight Week, Mosque Attack Kills Dozens
Suicide bombers suspected to be from Islamic State target worshipers in Afghanistan
- Suicide bombers assaulted a Shiite mosque in southern Afghanistan that was packed with worshippers attending weekly Friday prayers, killing at least 37 people and wounding more than 70, according to a hospital official and an eyewitness. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack on the Imam Barga...
He Made a Plea to Biden. Now,
an Interpreter Finds Safety
Oct 11, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
He Made a Plea to Biden. Now, an Interpreter Finds Safety
Aman Khalili, who helped rescue Biden after chopper's 2008 emergency landing, flees Afghanistan
- It took a 600-mile trek and weeks of hard work by US, Afghan, and Pakistani allies, but Aman Khalili and his family are finally safely out of Afghanistan. While the name of the ex-Afghan translator may not ring a bell for most, one person in particular knows it well: President...
Taliban Tells US
There'll Be No Help With IS
Oct 9, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Taliban Tells US There'll Be No Help With IS
That's how this weekend's negotiations begin
- The Taliban on Saturday ruled out cooperation with the US to contain extremist groups in Afghanistan, staking out an uncompromising position on a key issue ahead of the first direct talks between the former foes since America withdrew from the country in August. Senior Taliban officials and US representatives are...
If Taliban Don't Pay
Electric Bill, It'll
Be Lights Out
Oct 4, 2021 8:05 PM CDT
If Taliban Don't Pay Electric Bill, It'll Be Lights Out
Foreign suppliers could cut off power, leading to blackouts in Kabul
- On top of everything else, the people of Afghanistan could soon lose power because the ruling Taliban aren't paying foreign electrical suppliers. "This would be a really dangerous situation," said Daud Noorzai, who quit as head of Afghanistan's power monopoly after the Taliban takeover, the
Since US Left
Oct 3, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
Kabul Has Deadliest Attack Since US Left
Mosque bombed during Taliban service, reportedly killing at least 5 civilians
- At least five civilians were killed in a bomb blast at the entrance to a Kabul mosque Sunday, a Taliban official said, describing the deadliest attack in the Afghan capital since US forces left at the end of August. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but suspicion fell on...
Afghans Hide Books, Paintings
as Crackdown on Culture Looms
Sep 30, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Afghans Hide Books, Paintings as Crackdown on Culture Looms
Taliban says Islamic law will determine what kinds of art are allowed
- The bad old days are back in Afghanistan, where artists have hidden or destroyed paintings, musicians have stopped working, and residents are hiding books ahead of an expected Taliban crackdown on art and culture deemed un-Islamic. The group—which banned movies, television, and music during its rule from 1996 to...
Ban: Beard Trims
Sep 27, 2021 3:52 PM CDT
Taliban's Newest Ban: Beard Trims
Extremist group has barred barbers in Helmand province from shaving, trimming facial hair
- The Taliban have been busy rolling back women's rights in Afghanistan and ramping up for a return to amputations and executions . Now, some more bad news for locals. Per the BBC , the extremist group has banned barbers in the Helmand province from shaving or otherwise trimming men's beards,...
In Afghan Public Square,
a Gruesome Display
Sep 25, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
In Afghan Public Square, a Gruesome Display
Taliban hang dead body from crane in Herat, signaling return to group's ways of the past
- The Taliban hanged a dead body from a crane in the main square of Herat city in western Afghanistan, a witness said Saturday, in a gruesome display that signaled a return to some of the Taliban's methods of the past. Wazir Ahmad Seddiqi, who runs a pharmacy on the...
Taliban to Resume
Sep 23, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Taliban to Resume Executions, Amputations
Judges, including women, will decide cases instead of clerics, official says
- One of the founders of the Taliban and the chief enforcer of its harsh interpretation of Islamic law when they last ruled Afghanistan said the hard-line movement will once again carry out executions and amputations of hands. In an interview in Kabul, Mullah Nooruddin Turabi dismissed outrage over the Taliban'...
Women's National Soccer
Team Flees Afghanistan
Sep 15, 2021 7:56 AM CDT
Women's National Soccer Team Flees Afghanistan
Players, family members cross into Pakistan after 'commitment' from Americans
- Afghanistan's national women's soccer team has joined the throngs of people, especially women, fleeing the country since the Taliban's takeover. The team reached neighboring Pakistan via a major border crossing in the city of Torkham and were received by a representative of the Pakistan Football Federation, Information...
Taliban: Women Can Stay
in School, With Conditions
Sep 12, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Taliban: Women Can Stay in School, With Conditions
Students will be separated by gender, and women will have a dress code
- Girls and women can continue their education in Afghanistan, but they'll face new restrictions under Taliban rule. For one, male and female students will be separated, the education minister said Sunday. "Coeducation is in conflict with the principles of Islam and, on the other hand, it is in...
Taliban: It Is 'Not Necessary'
for Women to Play Sports
Sep 8, 2021 12:47 PM CDT
Taliban: It Is 'Not Necessary' for Women to Play Sports
'They might face a situation where their face and body will not be covered'
- Women's sports will not be allowed in the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, Taliban officials say. Ahmadullah Wasiq, deputy head of the Taliban's cultural commission, tells Australian broadcaster SBS that the country's new rulers see no need for women to play sports including cricket, Afghanistan's most popular...
Graham's Prediction: 'We'll
Have to' Return to Afghanistan
Sep 7, 2021 3:06 PM CDT
Graham's Prediction: 'We'll Have to' Return to Afghanistan
He believes country will turn into a 'cauldron for radical Islamic behavior'
- It's going to be deja vu all over again in Afghanistan, or so suggests Sen. Lindsey Graham. In a BBC interview Monday, the Republican predicted that "we will be going back into Afghanistan as we went back into Iraq and Syria." The reason in this case? He...
Sep 7, 2021 11:10 AM CDT
Familiar Faces Helm Taliban's Newly Named Cabinet
Interim PM Mullah Hasan Akhund headed Taliban government in Kabul during last years of former rule
- The Taliban on Tuesday announced a caretaker Cabinet that paid homage to the old guard of the group, giving top posts to Taliban personalities who dominated the 20-year battle against the US-led coalition and its Afghan government allies. Interim Prime Minister Mullah Hasan Akhund headed the Taliban government in Kabul...
Taliban Halt Women's
Protest With Force
Sep 4, 2021 2:55 PM CDT
Taliban Halt Women's Protest With Force
Fighters report advances on pocket of resistance in mountains of northern Afghanistan
- The Taliban fought different types of resistance Saturday as they tried to make control of Afghanistan total. Despite assurances that the brutal reign of the past won't be repeated, Taliban fighters used violence to shut down a protest by about 100 women in Kabul, the
New York Times
Ex-Soldier Arrested Trying
to Help Afghans Leave Country
Sep 3, 2021 11:23 AM CDT
Ex-Soldier Arrested Trying to Help Afghans Leave Country
Ben Slater says Taliban questioned him about single female employees staying in hotels
- A former British soldier in Afghanistan who has been trying to get hundreds of people , including his employees, out of the country ended up being thrown in jail by the Taliban after the group was turned back at a land border. Ben Slater says he brought a busload of staff...
Gather in Kabul
Sep 3, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Female Protesters Gather in Kabul
Taliban says Western Union is resuming operations
- A few dozen protesters have gathered outside the presidential palace in Kabul, urging the country's new Taliban leadership to uphold women's rights achieved under Western patronage and include women in the upcoming government. At one gate on Friday, around a dozen women held up small printed pages urging...
Taliban Official Flees
Sep 2, 2021 7:07 AM CDT
Female Journalist Who Interviewed Taliban Official Flees
Beheshta Arghand says Taliban doesn't accept women as 'human'
- The first female Afghan journalist to interview a member of the Taliban says she's been forced to leave her country behind. Beheshta Arghand, formerly of TOLO News, fled Afghanistan as part of the US-led evacuation on Aug. 24 and is now in Qatar, per the
. Arghand had spoken...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Great Barrier Reef Just 'Gave Birth'
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.