Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Concerning New Group Pops
Up With Twitter's Blue Checks
Jan 17, 2023 8:09 AM CST
A Concerning New Group Pops Up With Twitter's Blue Checks
Taliban officials, supporters were seen with the marks on their accounts, though now they're gone
- Twitter's blue check marks have had a rough go since the platform was taken over by Elon Musk, with the paid Twitter Blue subscription attracting phony accounts and plenty of criticism. The site says it has since made tweaks, but now there's a new issue surrounding the verification...
Taliban Issues Another
Decree Against Women
Dec 25, 2022 1:02 PM CST
Taliban Issues Another Decree Against Women
They can no longer work for NGOs, and aid organizations already are suspending operations
- Last week, the Taliban banned women from going to college . Now, the Afghan government is forbidding women from working at non-governmental organizations, or NGOs. As with the university decree, Taliban leaders say that women working for such organizations have been flouting dress codes and not wearing hijabs, reports the
After Women's Studies Move,
Taliban Tells World to Butt Out
Dec 22, 2022 4:20 PM CST
After Women's Studies Move, Taliban Tells World to Butt Out
Education minister defends decision to bar females from universities
- The minister of higher education in the Taliban government on Thursday defended his decision to bar women from universities—a decree that had triggered a global backlash. Discussing the matter for the first time in public, Nida Mohammad Nadim said the ban issued earlier this week was necessary to prevent...
2 Americans in
Dec 20, 2022 9:21 PM CST
Taliban Releases 2 Americans in 'Goodwill Gesture'
They were freed on same day group banned women from universities
- Two Americans were freed by Afghanistan's Taliban rulers Tuesday in what authorities described as a "goodwill gesture." CNN reports that one of the two Americans is independent filmmaker Ivor Shearer, who was arrested in August while filming near where a drone killed al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri. Officials...
Taliban Just Banned Women
Dec 20, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Taliban Just Banned Women From Universities
Afghanistan's education minister issues the decree
- Women in Afghanistan can no longer attend college, according to a new decree from the Taliban government. The nation's education minister issued the order in a letter to all public and private universities, reports the AFP . “You all are informed to implement the mentioned order of suspending education...
In Taliban's First
Dec 7, 2022 11:44 AM CST
In Taliban's First Public Execution, Victim's Father Pulls Trigger
Man who confessed to 2017 stabbing is shot dead
- In November, the Taliban's supreme leader told judges that Shariah and its associated punishments should be fully enforced. One of those punishments, public executions, was imposed on Wednesday in Afghanistan, in what the BBC reports is believed to be the Taliban's first public execution since it regained power...
Taliban Bans Women
From Parks, Gyms
Nov 10, 2022 11:56 AM CST
Taliban Bans Women From Parks, Gyms
Group claims it has 'tried its best' to avoid imposing restrictions
- More than a year after returning to power in Afghanistan and promising to respect women's rights, the Taliban are busy crushing the few rights women in the country still have. Women are now banned from parks and gyms in the country, according to a Ministry of Vice and Virtue...
Biden: US Prisoner Swap
Required 'Difficult Decisions'
Sep 19, 2022 9:17 AM CDT
Biden: US Prisoner Swap Required 'Difficult Decisions'
US frees Afghan drug lord in exchange for American Mark Frerichs
The White House acknowledged and hailed the release of American hostage Mark Frerichs from Afghanistan on Monday. "Bringing the negotiations that led to Mark’s freedom to a successful resolution required difficult decisions, which I did not take lightly," said President Biden in a statement, per
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others
During Evening Prayers
Aug 18, 2022 4:10 AM CDT
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others During Evening Prayers
Witnesses say suicide bomber attacked Kabul mosque
- A bombing at a mosque in the Afghan capital of Kabul during evening prayers killed at least 21 people, including a prominent cleric, and wounded at least 33 others, eyewitnesses and police said Thursday. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack Wednesday night, the latest to strike...
Afghanistan Is Back
Where It Was: US General
Aug 14, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Afghanistan Is Back Where It Was: US General
A year after withdrawal, assessments of the fallout differ
- One year ago, the Taliban took control of the government in Afghanistan. The anniversary has sparked assessments and reassessments of the fallout from the withdrawal of US troops, from Afghans as well as Americans. And the Biden administration is preparing to answer them. The latest are from:
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb
Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
Aug 12, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
It's a 'very huge loss' for the country, Taliban official says of death claimed by ISIS
- An Afghan cleric who supported the Taliban and went up against the Islamic State has been killed in a suicide bombing claimed by that same group. Sheikh Rahimullah Haqqani died at an Islamic seminary in Kabul when a man detonated a bomb hidden in his prosthetic leg, reports Reuters . In...
Taliban: We Didn't Know
Where al-Zawahri Was
Aug 4, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Taliban: We Didn't Know Where al-Zawahri Was
US government claims otherwise
- The Taliban broke its silence Thursday, days after a US drone strike killed al-Qaeda's top leader in Afghanistan's capital, acknowledging his slaying and pledging to launch an investigation. The killing of Ayman al-Zawahri on the balcony of a Kabul safehouse Sunday has further strained relations between the Taliban...
Aug 2, 2022 3:16 PM CDT
Al-Zawahri's Killing Reveals a Worrisome Alliance
Al-Qaeda leader must have been hiding in Kabul with Taliban's blessing: Fred Kaplan
- For journalist Fred Kaplan, the killing of al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri stands out not so much for the event itself. Al-Qaeda "is far from the potent global force that it was a decade ago," writes Kaplan at Slate , and while al-Zawahri certainly had a key role in planning...
All-Male Meeting Backs Taliban
Jul 2, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
All-Male Meeting Backs Taliban
Clerics, elders ask nations to recognize Afghan government
- A three-day assembly of Islamic clerics and tribal elders in the Afghan capital concluded Saturday with pledges of support for the Taliban and calls on the international community to recognize the country's Taliban-led government. The meeting in Kabul was tailored along the lines of Afghanistan's traditional Loya Jirgas—...
Taliban Launch Campaign
to Wipe Out Poppy Crop
Jun 2, 2022 8:53 AM CDT
Taliban Launch Campaign to Wipe Out Poppy Crop
They plan to eradicate opium, heroin production
- Afghanistan’s Taliban rulers have begun a campaign to eradicate poppy cultivation, aiming to wipe out the country’s massive production of opium and heroin, even as farmers fear their livelihoods will be ruined at a time of growing poverty. On a recent day in Washir district in southern Helmand...
Female Anchors Cover Faces
Under New Taliban Order
May 22, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Female Anchors Cover Faces Under New Taliban Order
Male colleagues in Afghanistan wear masks in solidarity
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers on Sunday began enforcing an order requiring all female TV news anchors in the country to cover their faces while on the air. The move is part of a hard-line shift drawing condemnation from rights activists. After the order was announced Thursday, only a handful of...
Women Challenge Taliban Rule:
'This Isn't About Hijab'
May 8, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Women Challenge Taliban Rule: 'This Isn't About Hijab'
Some Taliban leaders look for workarounds on the restrictions in Afghanistan
- Arooza was furious and afraid, keeping her eyes open for Taliban on patrol as she and a friend shopped Sunday in Kabul's Macroyan neighborhood. The math teacher was fearful her large shawl, wrapped tight around her head, and sweeping pale brown coat would not satisfy the latest decree by...
May 7, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Taliban Just Resurrected a Hard-Line Mandate
Women once more have to wear face-covering burkas in public
- Afghanistan's Taliban leadership ordered all Afghan women to wear the all-covering burka in public, the ministry of vice and virtue said Saturday. The move evoked similar restrictions on women during the Taliban's previous hard-line rule between 1996 and 2001. "We want our sisters to live with dignity...
Taliban: No More TikTok
Apr 22, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Taliban: No More TikTok
Afghanistan's rulers say young people are being led astray
- The Taliban has been outlawing various products and activities since taking power in Afghanistan. TV shows with women in them were banned last fall, per CNN . Wine fell out of favor earlier this month. The latest prohibition reaches young people, the BBC reports: The use of TikTok and PUBG is...
Taliban Just Banned
Biggest Cash Crop
Apr 4, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Taliban Just Banned Afghanistan's Biggest Cash Crop
After decades of financing the leaders, opium, other drugs get the boot
- The Taliban was in the restricting mood Sunday, banning opium poppy—which accounts for 80% of the world's supply of opium—along with wine, heroin, and other drugs. The Taliban has had an interesting relationship with opium, having repeatedly tried to ban the narcotic before using the crop to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.