Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Little Town of Bethlehem,
a Muted Christmas Begins
Dec 24, 2021 8:08 AM CST
In Little Town of Bethlehem, a Muted Christmas Begins
Biblical city celebrates under the shadow of COVID for the second year in a row
- The biblical town of Bethlehem marked its second straight Christmas Eve under the shadow of the coronavirus—with small crowds and gray, gloomy weather dampening celebrations Friday in the traditional birthplace of Jesus. A ban on nearly all incoming air traffic by Israel— the main entry point for foreign visitors...
Shouldn't Have Aired
Jan 14, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Producers: Bethlehem Question Shouldn't Have Aired
They say wrong version of game show was sent to TV stations
- Producers of the game show
have apologized for a clue that waded into political hot water involving Israeli control of the West Bank, saying an incorrect version of the show was sent to television stations, the AP reports. A game shown last Friday asked contestants to identify the location...
In Bethlehem, No Room
at the Inns, Again
Dec 24, 2019 8:16 AM CST
In Bethlehem, No Room at the Inns, Again
As Christmas descends, pilgrims crowd West Bank town where they believe Jesus Christ was born
- "All hotels in the city are full today," says Palestinian Tourism Minister Rula Maaya as thousands of Christian pilgrims descended on the West Bank town of Bethlehem, the traditional birthplace of Jesus, ahead of Tuesday's annual Christmas Eve celebrations. The Church of the Nativity, where Christians believe...
Politically Charged Nativity
Scene Appears in Bethlehem
Dec 22, 2019 3:30 PM CST
Politically Charged Nativity Scene Appears in Bethlehem
A Banksy piece is displayed at the Walled Off Hotel
- The mysterious street artist known as Banksy has displayed a politically charged Nativity scene in Bethlehem, the town revered as Jesus' birthplace, just in time for the busy Christmas season, the AP reports. The artwork, named "Scar of Bethlehem," depicts the birth of Jesus under Israel's West...
'Original' Jesus Relic
Arrives in Bethlehem
Nov 30, 2019 4:50 PM CST
'Original' Jesus Relic Arrives in Bethlehem
The pope returns it, 1,400 years later
- A tiny wooden relic that some Christians believe to be part of Jesus' manger arrived Saturday in its permanent home in the biblical city of Bethlehem 1,400 years after it was sent to Rome as a gift to the pope, the AP reports. Sheathed in an ornate case, the...
Not So Silent Night
Dec 25, 2018 5:35 AM CST
Not So Silent Night in Bethlehem
Biblical city hosts largest Christmas celebration in years
- Pilgrims from around the world flocked to Bethlehem on Monday for what was believed to be the West Bank city's largest Christmas celebrations in years. Hundreds of locals and visitors milled in Manger Square as bagpipe-playing Palestinian Scouts paraded past a giant Christmas tree. Crowds flooded the Church of...
Security Forces Clash
With Santas in Bethlehem
Dec 24, 2017 10:08 AM CST
Security Forces Clash With Santas in Bethlehem
Christians join protest against Jerusalem move
- Peace on earth and goodwill once again seem to be in short supply in Bethlehem, where Palestinian protesters dressed as Santa Claus clashed with Israeli security forces in the historical birthplace of Jesus Saturday. Israeli soldiers used tear gas and stun grenades to push back the Santas, who were protesting...
In Restive Bethlehem,
an Uneasy Christmas
Dec 25, 2015 7:49 AM CST
In Restive Bethlehem, an Uneasy Christmas
Fighting casts a pall on West Bank town as it celebrates signature holiday
- Christian faithful from around the world on Thursday descended on the biblical city of Bethlehem for Christmas Eve celebrations at the traditional birthplace of Jesus, trying to lift spirits on a holiday dampened by months of Israeli-Palestinian violence. The fighting cast a pall. Crowds were thin and hotel rooms were...
Tunnel to Be Built
Under Nativity Site?
Dec 23, 2014 9:47 AM CST
Tunnel to Be Built Under Nativity Site?
Traffic-clogged Bethlehem eyes passage beneath Nativity Church
- O' little town of Bethlehem is dealing with a problem that typically plagues big cities: traffic. Though it claims just 28,000 residents, its small streets make for a traffic nightmare, and the lanes around Nativity Church, which marks the spot where tradition says Jesus was born, are no exception....
West Bank Land Seizure Is
Israel's Biggest in Decades
Sep 1, 2014 3:42 AM CDT
West Bank Land Seizure Is Israel's Biggest in Decades
Appropriation seen as revenge for murder of Israeli teens
- In a move the US calls "counterproductive," Israel has made a huge land seizure in the West Bank and is expected to use it to expand Jewish settlements. The Israeli anti-settlement group Americans for Peace Now says the 990-acre seizure in an area called the Etzion bloc—one...
Abbas, Peres Accept
Francis' Invite to Pray
May 25, 2014 6:07 AM CDT
Abbas, Peres Accept Francis' Invite to Pray
Pope makes a breakthrough in visit to Bethlehem
- The offices of the Israeli and Palestinian presidents are confirming that they have accepted an invitation from Pope Francis to visit the Vatican together next month. At the end of an open-air Mass in the biblical town of Bethlehem today, Francis invited the Israeli and Palestinian leaders to the Vatican...
Pope Will Head
to Holy Land
Jan 5, 2014 5:49 AM CST
Pope Will Head to Holy Land
Francis announces his 1st trip abroad for new year
- Pope Francis has announced that he will travel to Israel, the West Bank and Jordan May 24-26. The visit marks the pope's first trip to the Holy Land and is so far his only foreign travel planned for 2014. Francis told people gathered in the rain for his weekly...
In the Holy Land, Attempts to Revive Jesus' Language
May 28, 2012 3:25 PM CDT
In the Holy Land, Attempts to Revive Jesus' Language
Schools in two villages teaching Aramaic
- In two Holy Land villages—and, randomly, Sweden—efforts are being made to revive Aramaic, the language Jesus spoke that has been almost dead for centuries. The Palestinian village of Beit Jala, near Bethlehem, and the Arab-Israeli village of Jish, in the Galilean hills where Jesus taught, were both inspired...
Ancient Bethlehem Seal
May 24, 2012 1:38 PM CDT
Israelis Unearth Ancient Bethlehem Seal
Oldest reference to city found outside of the Bible
- Israeli archaeologists have discovered a 2,700-year-old seal that bears the inscription "Bethlehem," the Israel Antiquities Authority announced yesterday, in what experts believe to be the oldest artifact with the name of Jesus' traditional birthplace. The tiny clay seal's existence and age provide vivid evidence that Bethlehem...
in Broom Brawl
Dec 28, 2011 12:22 PM CST
Rival Monks in Broom Brawl at Christ's Birthplace
Annual cleaning ignites tensions
- Not a very nice birthday present for Jesus: Dozens of rival monks brawled at his birthplace today, as the feuding clergy members were performing an annual cleaning of the holy spot. The Church of the Nativity, built over the site where Jesus is believed to have been born in Bethlehem,...
Christians Usher in Christmas
Dec 25, 2011 6:53 AM CST
Christians Usher in Christmas
Pope calls for peace in Syria, pilgrims gather in Bethlehem, and NORAD's phone rings off the hook
- Pope Benedict called for an end to the violence in Syria and urged Christians to "see through the superficial glitter" as he led the celebration of Christmas in his annual Urbi et Orbi address. "May the Lord bring an end to the violence in Syria, where much blood...
O Little Town
Dec 24, 2011 9:33 AM CST
O Little Town of Bethlehem, Packed With Tourists
Faithful flock to Church of the Nativity
- There wasn't any room at the inns today as thousands of faithful thronged the streets of Bethlehem to worship at Christ's biblical birthplace. Visitors snapped photos at the 50-foot-tall Christmas tree at Manger Square and received blessings from Latin Patriarch Fouad Twal, the head of the Catholic Church...
at Last Minute
Mar 22, 2011 1:42 AM CDT
Palin Ditches Bethlehem Trip at Last Minute
Palin ends 2-day Israel visit, promises longer return trip
- Sarah Palin aborted a trip to Bethlehem at the last minute yesterday, according to the
, which suggests some not-so-wise men among her advisers could be to blame. The city of Christ's birth was meant to be her first stop of the day, according to a leaked copy of her...
Dec 25, 2010 5:46 AM CST
Record Crowds Throng Bethlehem
Most pilgrims in a decade come to mark Jesus' birth
- The largest number of pilgrims in a decade gathered in Bethlehem to celebrate Christmas, with tens of thousands flocking to the Church of the Nativity for prayers this morning. Israeli military officials, who coordinate movement in and out of the West Bank, said more than 100,000 pilgrims have come...
Found in Nazareth:
A House Like Jesus'
Dec 21, 2009 5:48 PM CST
Found in Nazareth: A House Like Jesus'
Archaeologists discover home from biblical time
- For the first time, archaeologists have found a house from the time of Jesus in the town of Nazareth. The small house, which consists of two rooms, a courtyard, and a cistern for water, is considered a typical home for the inhabitants of Nazareth, were Jesus is believed to have...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
2 Arrested After Shooting That Left 6 Dead, Including Infant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.