Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
On First Day
Jan 12, 2023 6:47 AM CST
On First Day as Governor, Sarah Huckabee Sanders Bans 'Latinx'
The term cannot be used officially in Arkansas state government
- Among the pressing issues Sarah Huckabee Sanders addressed on her very first day as the governor of Arkansas: the use of the word "Latinx." The gender-neutral term, which can be used in place of Latino, is now banned from being used officially by the state government, NBC News...
Police: 4-Day-Old Infant
Killed by Family Dog
Dec 23, 2022 9:42 AM CST
Police: 4-Day-Old Infant Killed by Family Dog
An investigation in Cave Springs, Arkansas, is ongoing after newborn is fatally mauled
- Arkansas police say a newborn girl was killed earlier this month after her family's dog fatally mauled her. Lt. Keith Lawson of the Cave Springs Police Department tells KNWA the attack took place at the unidentified family's home shortly after noon on Dec. 14. Gray News and 40/29...
Planned Parenthood Makes
Big Abortion Move in Kansas
Dec 21, 2022 5:47 AM CST
Planned Parenthood Makes Big Abortion Move in Kansas
Patients are now offered telemedicine abortions out of Wichita clinic, with plans to expand
- A Planned Parenthood affiliate announced Tuesday that it has started teleconferences with off-site doctors for patients seeking medication abortions at one of its Kansas clinics, a small step toward potentially much broader access in a state that has become a destination for the procedure after an August vote affirming abortion...
Teen Elected as
Dec 9, 2022 10:41 AM CST
Teen Elected as America's Youngest Black Mayor
Jaylen Smith, 18, has big plans for Earle, Arkansas
- This has been an eventful year for 18-year-old Jaylen Smith—he finished high school, started college, and became the youngest Black mayor in American history. Smith was elected mayor of Earle, an east Arkansas city of almost 2,000 people near Memphis, Tennessee, in a runoff election Tuesday, NBC reports....
Tyson Foods CFO Seeking
Treatment After 'Mistake'
Nov 9, 2022 11:26 AM CST
Tyson Foods CFO Seeking Treatment After 'Mistake'
Chairman's 32-year-old son allegedly fell asleep in wrong home
- Tyson Foods CFO John R. Tyson says he's seeking treatment for alcohol abuse after a stranger found him passed out in her bed. In a Monday email to company employees, Tyson apologized and said he was "embarrassed" by Sunday's incident in Fayetteville, Arkansas, for which he is...
Congress Gets Its
First Gen Z Member
Nov 8, 2022 8:54 PM CST
Congress Gets Its First Gen Z Member
25-year-old Maxwell Frost cruised to victory in Florida
- In Congress, Maxwell Frost is going to be the voice of his generation. The 25-year-old Democrat cruised to victory over 51-year-old Republican Calvin Wimbish in Florida's reliably blue Orlando-area 10th District and will be the first member of Generation Z in Congress, BuzzFeed reports. Frost, who will also be...
Couple Killed Pregnant Woman
to Seize Her Child: Police
Nov 5, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Couple Killed Pregnant Woman to Seize Her Child: Police
Investigators find remains of Ashley Bush, 33, and fetus in Missouri
- A Missouri couple has been charged after, authorities say, they lured a pregnant woman with a job ad in a plot to take her child. A McDonald County prosecutor said Ashley Bush, 33, who was 31 weeks pregnant, appeared to have been shot Monday, NBC News reports. Investigators said the...
State Senator's Killer Didn't
Delete All Footage of Crime
Oct 28, 2022 7:57 AM CDT
State Senator's Killer Didn't Delete All Footage of Crime
Rebecca O'Donnell serving 50 years for murder of Linda Collins-Smith in Arkansas
- When Butch Smith found his mother's body under a tarp in her driveway in June 2019, one of his first thoughts—beyond the shock and horror of the whole thing—was that his father must have killed her. Former two-term Arkansas state Sen. Linda Collins-Smith was in the midst...
Man Bursts Into Flames
After Cop Tases Him
Oct 27, 2022 11:51 AM CDT
Man Bursts Into Flames After Cop Tases Him
Christopher Gaylor, who Arkansas cops say was carrying gasoline in backpack, will be OK
- An Arkansas biker is expected to survive after he was tased earlier this month by police and burst into flames. Citing a release from Arkansas State Police, CNN reports that the incident took place in the early morning hours of Oct. 13 in Little Rock, when a cop tried to...
Suspect in Custody
After 'Active Shooter
Situation' at Hospital
Sep 28, 2022 2:06 PM CDT
Suspect in Custody After 'Active Shooter Situation' at Hospital
At least one person was killed at Little Rock-area facility
- Police in Arkansas say a suspect is in custody and at least one person is dead after reports of an "active shooter situation" at a Little Rock-area hospital. Authorities say officers secured the CHI St. Vincent North hospital in Sherwood after a lockdown Wednesday morning, the
Accused Capitol Intruder
Is Allowed to Go Hunting
Sep 27, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Accused Capitol Intruder Is Allowed to Go Hunting
Judge lets Jon Mott of Arkansas possess firearms, but only while hunting
- An Arkansas man who is facing trial over the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol has received an unusual break from a federal judge: He is allowed to go hunting. As a condition of his release from prison ahead of trial—he has been out on bond since May 13,...
Sarah Sanders Hits Bump
in Road for Governor
Sep 17, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Sarah Sanders Hits Bump in Road for Governor
Ex-WH press secretary, 40, reveals thyroid cancer surgery, says she'll be back soon for Ark. campaign
- Former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who's running for governor in Arkansas, underwent surgery Friday for thyroid cancer. Sanders announced she underwent the surgery after a biopsy earlier this month revealed she had the cancer. Sanders was recovering at an Arkansas hospital on Friday, her campaign said....
Aug 22, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
An Arrest Got Brutal. One Witness Started Recording
Justice Department launches civil rights investigation
This file has been updated with the announcement of a federal investigation.
Three law enforcement officers in Arkansas have been suspended and are at the center of federal and state investigations following accusations they severely beat a suspect outside a Crawford County eatery, an incident recorded by a witness...
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Wins
Her Race, Addresses Shooting
May 24, 2022 11:39 PM CDT
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Wins Her Race, Addresses Shooting
Says that 'when a kid is in the womb, (they should be) as safe as they are in the classroom'
- Sarah Sanders won the Republican nomination for governor in Arkansas on Tuesday, putting her on a clear path to lead a solidly red state where former President Trump’s popularity has overshadowed questions about his administration's credibility that she faced during her time as White House press secretary. Sanders...
Trump's Clout Faces Big
Test in Georgia Races
May 24, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Trump's Clout Faces Big Test in Georgia Races
It's another primary day
- It's another busy primary Tuesday. Georgia takes center stage as Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger try to fight back challengers endorsed by former President Trump, who's seeking revenge for his 2020 election defeat in the state. An assessment at FiveThirtyEight sees that and other...
Family Dollar's Rat Problem
Just Got Bigger
May 2, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Family Dollar's Rat Problem Just Got Bigger
Arkansas is suing the chain over yearslong infestation at distribution warehouse
- Earlier this year it emerged that Family Dollar had a problem with rats . Now the discount chain has a related problem with a bigger foe—the attorney general of Arkansas. The state's Leslie Rutledge filed suit against Family Dollar last week over the previously revealed rat infestation at a...
He Went Into a Coma, Then
19 Years Later Said 'Mom'
Apr 4, 2022 6:26 AM CDT
He Went Into a Coma, Then 19 Years Later Said 'Mom'
Arkansas' Terry Wallis dies at 57, nearly 2 decades after he regained consciousness
- He was known as "The Man Who Slept for 19 Years." Now, nearly two decades after he woke up from a post-accident coma, Terry Wallis has died. An obituary details the stunning story of the 57-year-old from Big Flat, Ark., starting with a 1984 car crash just six...
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
Shooting at Car Show
Leaves 1 Dead, 20 Injured
Mar 20, 2022 8:33 AM CDT
Shooting at Car Show Leaves 1 Dead, 20 Injured
Another shooting injures 4 at South by Southwest festival
- A Saturday shooting in Virginia wasn't the only one to make national headlines. Another took place at an Arkansas car show and a third at the South by Southwest festival in Austin. Details on the latter two:
At least one person was killed and about 20 others wounded,
at Family Dollar Site
Lead to Closures, Recall
Feb 22, 2022 7:26 AM CST
'Unacceptable' Visitors at Family Dollar Site Lead to Closures, Recall
Rat infestation at Ark. distribution center forces 400-plus stores to close in South, product recall
- Bad news if you're a regular at Family Dollar and you're in the South: Chances are, a location near you may be shuttered temporarily after a rat infestation at an Arkansas distribution warehouse. The
reports that 404 stores in six states—Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Biden Has 'Impossible Speech' to Give
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.