Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
With Less Snow, Ski Resorts
Seek Wholly Different Clientele
Sep 24, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
With Less Snow, Ski Resorts Seek Wholly Different Clientele
Some ski resorts are shifting their business models to include biking
- As ski resorts across Europe grapple with warmer winters, some have seen a future in ditching skis for mountain bikes.
reports that Italian resort Fai della Paganella originally outfitted a chairlift to accommodate bikes in 2011 as an experiment, but the attraction quickly eclipsed its skiing business. "Sixty-five...
Utah's Famously White Snow
Is Getting Dusty
Jul 9, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
Utah's Famously White Snow Is Getting Dusty
Scientists say the shrinking Great Salt Lake is a big factor, with serious implications
- Dust blowing off the dry areas around the receding Great Salt Lake is coating the famously ski-friendly pure white snow on nearby slopes and causing early melting—a big problem with wide-ranging effects for Utah, reports
. In a study published by
Environmental Research Letters
, University of Utah hydrologist...
California Snowpack Is Huge,
and 'Big Melt' Poses Risks
Apr 4, 2023 3:10 PM CDT
California Snowpack Is Huge, and 'Big Melt' Poses Risks
Snow is at deepest level in about 70 years
- California officials say winter storms have resulted in the state's deepest snowpack in 70 years, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. All that frozen water is good news for drought-stricken parts of California, but the liquid volume of the Sierra Nevada snowpack—which the
says is greater than that...
California Will Be
Skiing in Summer
in case you missed it
Apr 1, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
California Will Be Skiing in Summer
Some resorts have announced they'll stay open far into the season, thanks to vast snowfall
- A few of California's ski resorts have announced they'll be staying open into summer, thanks to the massive snowfall the state has gotten this season. Palisades Tahoe said that after the Lake Tahoe area's second snowiest winter on record, it would keep the alpine portion of the...
Meaning of Rare Precipitation
Feb 26, 2023 5:00 PM CST
Californians Debate Meaning of Rare Precipitation
National Weather Service weighs in on Hollywood sign's coating while people soak up the beauty
- In the middle of coping with a historic winter storm , Californians paused to debate what, exactly, they were seeing. Was that snow that was falling? Maybe hail? Or something tougher to pronounce? After seeing lightning and hearing a rumble, Danny Cullenward decided it was what he'd experienced in his...
'Double Whammy' Set
to Pummel Southeast
Feb 11, 2023 7:45 AM CST
'Double Whammy' Set to Pummel Southeast
Snow and ice expected in multiple states this weekend, as well as heavy rain and strong winds
- Spring starts next month, but that doesn't mean winter doesn't still have a trick or two up its sleeve. The Southeast is expected to find that out on Saturday, as what AccuWeather calls a "double whammy" of snow and ice will create a mess in the southern...
Wreak Havoc in Asia
Jan 25, 2023 8:54 AM CST
Freezing Temps Wreak Havoc in Asia
Parts of Japan could see coldest weather in a decade; more than 100 are dead in Afghanistan
- Snow, wind, and freezing temperatures are wreaking havoc across Asia, and in some places it's turned deadly. Earlier this week, more than 120 people died in Afghanistan from the cold, while in China's northernmost city of Mohe, known as "China's North Pole," record lows of...
As Snow Buries
US, Japan Faces
Similar Deadly Plight
Dec 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
As Snow Buries US, Japan Faces Similar Deadly Plight
At least 17 are dead, dozens injured in large portions of the nation
- Heavy snow in large swaths of Japan has killed 17 and injured more than 90 people and left hundreds of homes without power, disaster management officials said Monday. Powerful winter fronts have dumped heavy snow in northern regions since last week, stranding hundreds of vehicles on highways, delaying delivery services,...
Buffalo Blizzard May Be
Worst in City History
Dec 25, 2022 7:40 AM CST
Buffalo Blizzard May Be Worst in City History
Christmas storm is 'like a Category 3 hurricane with a bunch of snow mixed in'
- The greater Buffalo region is currently doing anything but waxing poetic about a white Christmas, dreaming instead of simpler things like power and heat as the winter storm that battered the nation takes an especially brutal swing at Western New York. Buffalo, no stranger to snow, is currently enduring what...
Buffalo Area Buried,
and the Snow Keeps Falling
Nov 19, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Buffalo Area Buried, and the Snow Keeps Falling
Some areas of Western New York already have 5-feet-plus, and it's not supposed to stop till Sunday
- Buffalo is accustomed to snow. This weekend, however, the city and surrounding parts of Western New York are getting a storm for the books, with some areas already buried under several feet of the white stuff, and precipitation expected to continue through Sunday morning. In Orchard Park, about 20 minutes...
Out of Town
Nov 17, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Forecast Moves Bills Game Out of Town
NFL shifts Buffalo-Cleveland matchup to Detroit in anticipation of deep snow
- The NFL is relocating the Bills home game against the Cleveland Browns to Detroit on Sunday because of a lake-effect snowstorm forecast to hit the Buffalo region. The decision was made before the storm even began, the AP reports. The forecast is for between one and three feet of snow...
In a First, All Snow in
Olympics Will Be Fake
Feb 3, 2022 11:40 AM CST
In a First, All Snow in Olympics Will Be Fake
Beijing practice could be the new norm amid climate change
- The Winter Olympics have long been aided by fake snow. As Quartz reports, it began with the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, NY, as officials turned to snowmaking machines to pump out the white stuff in the midst of a dry winter. Over the years, amid warming global temperatures, officials...
Major Winter Storm
Slams East Coast
Jan 29, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Major Winter Storm Slams East Coast
Blizzard warnings issued in 10 states, thousands of flights nixed as snowstorm rages Saturday
- People from New York City to Maine awakened Saturday to half a foot of snow, and forecasters warned that could more than quadruple as a powerful nor'easter kicked up blinding blizzard conditions with high winds and the potential for widespread power outages and coastal flooding. Parts of 10 states...
Beware, East Coast,
Here Comes Kenan
Jan 28, 2022 11:37 AM CST
Beware, East Coast, Here Comes Kenan
Major nor'easter could dump a lot snow on New York City, New England
- The East Coast is bracing itself for a major nor'easter this weekend, with heavy snow, high winds, and cold temps expected to impact 75 million people from South Carolina to Maine. The Weather Channel reports that the winter storm dubbed Kenan—set to form off the Carolinas on Friday,...
Denver Without Snow in
December: It's 'Unheard Of'
Dec 1, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Denver Without Snow in December: It's 'Unheard Of'
City could log 2nd-longest period without snow within days
- Never in recorded history has Denver entered December without logging some snowfall—until now. The city, which has yet to receive its first measurable snow (more than a tenth of an inch) of the 2021 winter season, has blown past its previous record for the latest first snowfall set on...
Major Storm Threatens
Nov 18, 2021 6:30 PM CST
Major Storm Threatens Thanksgiving Travel
Forecasters see a couple of scenarios
- A major storm could throw a wrench into the plans of Thanksgiving travelers next week. It's too soon to know how the weather will break, meteorologists said, but several ways could affect millions of people planning holiday trips,
reports. "We could be looking at a huge...
Makes a Late
Apr 20, 2021 3:24 PM CDT
Winter Weather Makes a Late Reappearance
Next week, many of the same areas that are cold now will be in the 80s
- A resurgence of wintry weather is moving east after leaving snow behind in Colorado and Kansas, with accumulation expected in the East by Wednesday. Frost and freeze watches and warnings have been issued from Texas to Virginia by the National Weather Service, the
reports, covering 87 million people....
Texas Wind Turbines
Feb 16, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Texas Wind Turbines Are Frozen
Unprecedented storm continues to take its toll
- The historic winter storm causing power outages, canceled flights , and lots of snow and ice across Texas has also frozen many wind turbines in the state. So many, in fact, that nearly half of the state's installed wind power generation capacity is offline, the
reports. The unfrozen...
In Frigid Texas,
a 'Last Resort'
Move to Save Power
Feb 15, 2021 10:40 AM CST
In Frigid Texas, a 'Last Resort' Move to Save Power
Utility begins rotating blackouts
- A winter storm dropping snow and ice also sent temperatures plunging across the southern Plains, prompting a power emergency in Texas a day after conditions canceled flights and impacted traffic across large swaths of the US. Rotating power outages were initiated by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT,...
It's Snowing in Texas
Feb 15, 2021 2:21 AM CST
It's Snowing in Texas
The entire state is under a winter storm warning
- It is surprisingly cold in Texas currently, with the entire state under a winter storm warning and heavy snow coming down in many areas. CBS DFW reports a federal emergency declaration was approved for the state, after Gov. Greg Abbott declared a disaster Friday and warned residents that the entire...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.