Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'James Dean of Bears'
Killed in Car Accident
Jan 25, 2023 2:54 PM CST
'James Dean of Bears' Killed in Car Accident
Rebellious bear was hit by a car on a mountain road in Italy
- Italy is mourning Juan Carrito, a rare Apennine brown bear that captured the public's attention with exploits including drinking from fountains, playing with dogs, and breaking into a bakery . The bear, one of an estimated 60 members of the critically endangered subspecies in the Apennine mountains, died after he...
Inside Mob Boss's Hideouts:
Jan 19, 2023 9:50 AM CST
Inside Mob Boss's Hideouts: Cellphones, Viagra
2 hideouts found in close proximity, just 5 miles from Matteo Messina Denaro's birthplace
- Italian police have uncovered two hideouts believed to have been used by Cosa Nostra mob boss Matteo Messina Denaro toward the end of his 30 years on the run. Car keys in his possession during his arrest on Monday led authorities to a home in the Sicilian town of Campobello...
What Gave Away One of
Italy's Biggest Mob Bosses
Jan 17, 2023 10:15 AM CST
What Gave Away One of Italy's Biggest Mob Bosses
Matteo Messina Denaro's sickness led cops right to a Sicilian health clinic
- In a story that seems made for Hollywood, Italian police this week captured one of Italy's most famous fugitives: Matteo Messina Denaro, who helped lead the Cosa Nostra mob syndicate even as he was on the run for the past three decades. And it was a routine, somewhat expected...
This Pompeii Home
Stands Out From the Rest
Jan 11, 2023 12:42 PM CST
This Pompeii Home Stands Out From the Rest
House of the Vettii fully reopens to public after 20 years of restoration work
- Two men freed from enslavement came to live a life of luxury in ancient Pompeii. Now their ornate home, dubbed "Pompeii's Sistine Chapel," has fully opened to the public for the first time in 20 years. The House of the Vettii—built in the second century BC,...
Police 'Santa Claus' Uses
Lamborghini to Deliver Organs
Dec 22, 2022 2:35 PM CST
Police 'Santa Claus' Uses Lamborghini to Deliver Organs
Automaker donated supercar to Italian police
- Two transplant patients in Italy received what police call a "Christmas present"—delivered not by sleigh, but by Lamborghini. State police in Bologna used an adapted Lamborghini Huracan supercar donated by the automaker to deliver kidneys to two hospitals hundreds of miles apart this week, AFP reports. The...
Some Lawmakers Want Inquest
Into Missing 'Vatican Girl'
Dec 21, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Some Lawmakers Want Inquest Into Missing 'Vatican Girl'
Emanuela Orlandi vanished in 1983
- Opposition lawmakers in Italy are seeking a parliamentary commission of inquiry into three cold cases that have consumed the Italian public's imagination for decades, including the 1983 disappearance of a 15-year-old that was highlighted in the Netflix documentary
. The aim of the inquest, said Sen. Carlo Calenda,...
3 Women at
Rome Coffee Shop
Dec 12, 2022 1:19 AM CST
Gunman Kills 3 Women at Rome Coffee Shop
Including a friend of the country's prime minister
- Three women, including a friend of Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, were killed and four other people injured at a Rome coffee shop Sunday. The women were attending a meeting of the residents' association for their apartment block in the cafe at the time, the
reports, and a witness...
3 Nations Team Up
on 'Ambitious' Fighter Jet
Dec 9, 2022 9:06 AM CST
3 Nations Team Up on 'Ambitious' Fighter Jet
UK, Japan, Italy will develop 6th-generation GCAP warplane
- A new warplane is in the works, and Britain, Italy, and Japan are the countries behind it. CNN reports that development will soon be underway on a sixth-generation fighter jet under the Global Combat Air Program (GCAP), an "ambitious endeavor" to fend off increasing "threats and aggression,"...
Death Toll Rises After
Mudslides on Island
Nov 27, 2022 3:10 PM CST
Death Toll Rises After Mudslides on Island
Victims include a 3-week-old boy swept away, officials say
- Rescuers have recovered the bodies of seven victims, including a 3-week-old infant and a pair of young siblings, buried during mudslides early Saturday in a port city on the Italian island of Ischia. Officials on Sunday said the victims include the infant boy's parents, a 5-year-old girl and her...
Huge Fatal Landslide Blamed
on Ill-Advised Development
Nov 27, 2022 5:31 AM CST
Huge Fatal Landslide Blamed on Ill-Advised Development
Dozen people are missing on Italian island of Ischia
- Rescuers dug through mud for a second day Sunday in the search for people lost in an enormous landslide on the Italian resort island of Ischia. One body was recovered on Saturday and about a dozen people, including children, were reported missing in the port town of Casamicciola, feared buried...
This Town Is
Bucks to Lure
Nov 21, 2022 11:57 AM CST
This Town Is Paying Big Bucks to Lure Residents
Italian town of Presicce is trying to combat depopulation by offering $30K to move there
- If you've been mulling a relocation, there's a sunny spot in Italy that beckons, with big bucks to sweeten the pot. Per CNN , the town of Presicce, located in the country's southern Puglia region, is offering interested parties around $30,000 to scoop up an empty residence,...
Soccer Pro Among
5 Stabbed in Supermarket
Oct 28, 2022 4:02 AM CDT
Soccer Pro Among 5 Stabbed in Supermarket
Cashier was killed in Italy attack
- A man grabbed a knife from a supermarket shelf Thursday and stabbed five people, killing one and wounding four others, including Spanish soccer player Pablo Mari, Italian authorities said. Police said they arrested a 46-year-old Italian man suspected in the attack at a shopping center in Assago, a suburb of...
Meloni Sworn In
as Italian Prime Minister
Oct 22, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Meloni Sworn In as Italian Prime Minister
She's the nation's first far-right premier since the end of World War II
- Giorgia Meloni, whose political party with neofascist roots secured the most votes in Italy's national election last month, was sworn in Saturday in Rome as the country's first far-right premier since the end of World War II. She's also the first woman to serve as premier. Meloni,...
Judge OKs False-Advertising
Suit Against Barilla Pasta
Oct 19, 2022 1:18 PM CDT
Judge OKs False-Advertising Suit Against Barilla Pasta
Class-action plaintiffs have beef with Barilla's 'Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta'; product is made in NY, Iowa
- "Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta" isn't as Italian as it sounds. That's the crux of a class-action lawsuit against Barilla that a federal judge this week ruled could proceed, meaning the company will have to face the plaintiffs' allegations that it engaged in false or...
Far-Right Leader Adds
Condemnation of Horrific Event
Oct 16, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Far-Right Leader Adds Condemnation of Horrific Event
Giorgia Meloni calls leader of Rome's Jewish community on anniversary of 1943 roundup
- Italy's far-right political leadership marked the 79th anniversary of the World War II roundup of Rome's Jews on Sunday with calls for such horror to never occur again, messages that took on greater significance following a national election won by a party with neo-fascist roots. Giorgia Meloni, who...
In Italy, a Winning Logo
With Historic Connotations
Sep 26, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
In Italy, a Winning Logo With Historic Connotations
Party of Giorgia Meloni, poised to be first female PM, uses symbol associated with Mussolini
- The results aren't official, but it's a certainty that the far-right Brothers of Italy party has won the most votes in Italy's election on Sunday, reports the AP . That means party leader Giorgia Meloni is now the favorite to become the next prime minister, which is notable...
to Get First
a Controversial One
Sep 25, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Italy Poised to Get First Female Premier, a Controversial One
Giorgia Meloni's conservative views on family, role of women have critics concerned
- If Italy elects the nation's first female premier, will its women be delighted or dismayed? Should opinion polls prove on the mark, Giorgia Meloni and the far-right Brothers of Italy party she co-founded less than a decade ago will triumph in Sunday's election. Meloni might then be asked...
US Tourist Caught Eating
on Fountain Steps Is Fined
Sep 6, 2022 3:43 PM CDT
US Tourist Caught Eating on Fountain Steps Is Fined
He was found with beer, ice cream at 1am in Rome
- An American tourist was slapped with a $450 fine after police caught him sitting on the steps of a fountain early Saturday drinking a beer and eating an ice cream. The man had fallen afoul of one of the "urban decorum" rules the Italian capital introduced in 2017, the...
US Servicewoman in Italy
Accused of Deadly DUI Crash
Aug 22, 2022 1:16 PM CDT
US Servicewoman in Italy Accused of Deadly DUI Crash
Woman was allegedly four times over the limit when she hit teen on cycle path
- A 20-year-old Air Force servicewoman is facing a vehicular homicide charge after allegedly killing a 15-year-old boy in a crash in northern Italy Sunday morning. Sources tell ANSA that the woman was four times over the legal limit when she hit Giovanna Vanier on a cycle path after losing control...
After Tunnel Collapses,
Alleged Thieves Call Cops
Aug 12, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
After Tunnel Collapses, Alleged Thieves Call Cops
Firefighters worked for 8 hours to free a man, later arrested, from tunnel below Rome
- A man rescued from a tunnel 20 feet beneath the streets of Rome may have suffered the consequences of his own attempted bank robbery. One of three alleged gang members who escaped the tunnel when it collapsed below the surface of a road near the Vatican on Thursday called for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.