Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mob Boss 'Took
With Him His Secrets'
Sep 25, 2023 7:31 AM CDT
Mob Boss 'Took With Him His Secrets'
Sicilian 'last Godfather' Matteo Messina Denaro, 61, dies just months after his capture
- An infamous Italian mob boss who was captured in January after 30 years on the run has died. Officials tell Reuters that 61-year-old Matteo Messina Denaro, known as the "last godfather," has succumbed to colon cancer, after falling into a coma on Friday from which he never emerged....
After 50 Years, a Roman
'Power Palace' Reopens
Sep 22, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
After 50 Years, a Roman 'Power Palace' Reopens
2K-year-old Domus Tiberiana, overlooking the Forum, has been undergoing restoration in Italy
- An ancient Roman imperial palazzo atop the city's Palatine Hill was reopened to tourists on Thursday, almost 50 years after its closure for restoration. The nearly 2,000-year-old Domus Tiberiana, a sprawling palace that was home to rulers in the ancient city's imperial period, allows for sweeping views...
This City Will Be the First
to Charge Day-Trippers
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
This City Will Be the First to Charge Day-Trippers
Tourists in Venice, Italy, will be hit with proposed fee of $5.40 on certain days starting next spring
- Venice, Italy, will be the first city in the world to charge its day-trippers, CNN reports. Starting next spring, the island city's authorities plan to charge visitors who aren't staying overnight as part of a 30-day experiment meant "to discourage daily tourism in certain periods, in line...
Not Everyone Was Happy
at Woody Allen Premiere
Sep 5, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Not Everyone Was Happy at Woody Allen Premiere
Protesters scuffled with cops, slammed organizers for featuring directors accused of sexual abuse
- There was chaos on the red carpet at the 80th Venice International Film Festival on Monday as protesters scuffled with police while shouting "Abusers!" and "No rape culture!" The Italian film festival is premiering new films by three directors accused of sexual misconduct: Woody Allen, Roman...
Police: German Tourists
Vandalized 1565 Landmark
Aug 24, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
Police: German Tourists Vandalized 1565 Landmark
Italian officials call for more severe punishment than foreigners usually receive
- Another Italian historic site has been defaced, this time the Vasari Corridor in Florence, bringing calls to punish such attacks more severely. Police identified the vandals as two German men, ages 20 and 21, who are part of a group of 11 students, CNN reports. Soccer-related graffiti was left on...
Gay Canadian Couple Wins
Suit Against Italy's Ruling Party
Aug 14, 2023 5:50 PM CDT
Gay Canadian Couple Wins Suit Against Italy's Ruling Party
Fratelli d'Italia used photo of two dads in campaign against surrogacy, same-sex parenting
- When they welcomed their son Milo with the help of a surrogate mother in 2014, BJ Barone and Frank Nelson took off their shirts to make skin-to-skin contact with the newborn. A photo of the tender moment with the new born went viral, but the two Canadian dads were appalled...
Mudslide Barrels Through Town
as Festival Was in Full Swing
Aug 14, 2023 7:50 AM CDT
Mudslide Barrels Through Town as Festival Was in Full Swing
Mudslide causes 'very significant' damage in Bardonecchia, Italy, but so far, no major injuries
- Officials in a popular vacation town in the Italian Alps are now organizing a major cleanup job and searching for any possible missing people after a mountain mudslide came barreling through over the weekend. The AP reports that the streets of Bardonecchia are now coated in mud and debris after...
Deadly Cheese Collapse
Sounded Like Thunder
Aug 7, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Deadly Cheese Collapse Sounded Like Thunder
Italian cheesemaker was crushed under thousands of falling cheese wheels
- A beloved cheesemaker in northern Italy died Sunday night, crushed under thousands of wheels of his own product. Authorities say a shelf broke while 74-year-old Giacomo Chiapparini was in a cheese warehouse in the Lombardy region, starting a domino effect that caused around 25,000 wheels of hard cheese, each...
Aug 6, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Crews Rescue Migrants After Shipwrecks
Italy reports woman, child died in attempted Mediterranean crossing
- Dozens of migrants were dramatically rescued by Italy as they foundered in the sea or clung to a rocky reef Sunday after three boats launched by smugglers from northern Africa shipwrecked in rough waters in separate incidents over the weekend. Survivors said some 30 fellow migrants were missing from capsized...
Police Spot Mob Fugitive
Among Soccer Fans
Aug 5, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Police Spot Mob Fugitive Among Soccer Fans
Italian suspect is picked up in Corfu after celebrating hometown team's title
- Hometown passion for this year's soccer champions from Naples has betrayed the hideout of a longtime crime fugitive from Italy, who was captured while riding a motor scooter on a Greek island, Italian police said Saturday. Naples-based Carabinieri paramilitary police said the man, who was on Italy's list...
Venice May Soon Be
Aug 1, 2023 8:27 AM CDT
Venice May Soon Be Labeled 'Endangered'
City isn't doing enough to counter risk of damage from tourists, climate change, UNESCO says
- Venice isn't doing enough to protect its cultural heritage, according to experts at UNESCO, who are recommending that the Italian city and its lagoon be added to a list of endangered World Heritage sites. Mass tourism, overdevelopment, and rising sea levels linked to climate change put the site at...
Italy's 'Week of Hell'
Reaches Its Apex
Jul 19, 2023 10:32 AM CDT
Italy's 'Week of Hell' Reaches Its Apex
Some 23 cities are on red alert due to the heat
- Europe is baking yet again on Wednesday, with the BBC putting a spotlight on Italy and its "settimana infernale," as the media are calling it: The "week of hell." In that country, 23 cities—"from Trieste in the northeast to Messina in the southwest"—...
After Groping Ruling,
Italians Share Unsettling Videos
Jul 12, 2023 6:50 PM CDT
After Groping Ruling, Italians Share Unsettling Videos
Judges acquitted man because groping of teen only lasted around 10 seconds
- "Palpata breve," meaning "a brief groping," and the #10secondi hashtag are trending on social media in Italy after the acquittal of a school janitor accused of groping a 17-year-old girl. The teen, a student at a Rome high school, said the man put his hand inside...
Has an Odd Excuse
Jul 6, 2023 9:13 AM CDT
Colosseum Vandal Has an Odd Excuse
Ivan Dimitrov, 31, of Bristol, England, claims he didn't realize how old the Rome landmark was
- A tourist from the UK who was tracked down after etching the names of himself and his girlfriend into Rome's famous Colosseum has been fully identified and is now offering his apologies. "I admit with deepest embarrassment that it was only after what regrettably happened that I learned...
Teacher Fired for
for 20 Years
Jun 28, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
Teacher Fired for Skipping Work for 20 Years
'Sorry, but right now I'm at the beach,' Italian teacher tells reporters
- If skipping work was an Olympic sport, Cinzia Paolina De Lio could have brought home a lot of gold medals for Italy. She was hired to teach literature and philosophy at a high school near Venice, but education authorities say she was absent for 20 of the 24 years she...
No, That's Not an Ancient Pizza
Jun 28, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
No, That's Not an Ancient Pizza
2K-year-old Pompeii fresco looks like pizza, but the ingredients weren't around at the time
- A still-life fresco discovered recently in Pompeii looks like it depicts a pizza, but it doesn't, experts at the archaeological site said Tuesday. They noted that key ingredients needed to make Italy's iconic dish—tomatoes and mozzarella—were not available when the fresco was painted some 2,000...
Vatican: Let's Look at New
Leads Over Missing Teen
Jun 23, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Vatican: Let's Look at New Leads Over Missing Teen
40 years after 15-year-old Emanuela Orlandi vanished, new hope for solving her cold case
- Exactly 40 years after the teenage daughter of a Vatican employee disappeared, the Vatican said Thursday that new leads "worthy of further investigation" had surfaced hopes of finally getting to the bottom of one of the Holy See's enduring mysteries. Emanuela Orlandi vanished June 22, 1983, after leaving...
Is Dead at 86
Jun 12, 2023 6:05 AM CDT
Silvio Berlusconi Is Dead at 86
Billionaire was Italy's longest-serving prime minister, despite a slew of scandals
- Silvio Berlusconi, the boastful billionaire media mogul who was Italy's longest-serving premier despite scandals over his sex-fueled parties and allegations of corruption, died Monday, according to his television network. He was 86. Mediaset announced his death with a smiling photo of the former PM on its homepage and the...
Boat Disaster Kills 4, Including
Intel Agents, Captain's Wife
May 30, 2023 4:18 PM CDT
Boat Disaster Kills 4, Including Intel Agents, Captain's Wife
Vessel with more than 20 tourists capsizes in severe weather near Italy-Switzerland border
- A boat ride on a lake that crosses the Italy-Switzerland border turned tragic Sunday when a severe storm hit, sending 20-plus passengers overboard, killing four, including the boat captain's wife, Anya Bozhkova. The BBC reports that two of the victims were in Italian intelligence—62-year-old Claudio Alonzi and Tiziana...
Mystery Solved on Why Venice
Canal Turned Bright Green
May 30, 2023 8:29 AM CDT
Mystery Solved on Why Venice Canal Turned Bright Green
Authorities know nontoxic chemical fluorescein is the cause; they just don't know who put it in water
- Venice environmental authorities have now pinned down the "what" behind the city's suddenly fluorescent green Grand Canal—they just don't have the "who" yet. Per the
, an analysis of samples showed that the color shift was caused by the presence of fluorescein in the water,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.