Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Superyacht Suspected of
Ties to Putin Is Seized
May 7, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Superyacht Suspected of Ties to Putin Is Seized
Italian authorities boarded the Scheherazade on Friday
The Scheherazade isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The 459-foot, $700 million superyacht that's believed to be tied to (and possibly owned by) Russian President Vladimir Putin was ordered by the Italian government to be seized on Friday, reports Reuters . Police impounded the six-deck vessel in the port...
Wild Boars Are Holding
Rome Residents 'Hostage'
May 4, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Wild Boars Are Holding Rome Residents 'Hostage'
Some neighborhoods have introduced curfews
- Rome is being overrun not by Visigoths, but by wild boar. The animals have been considered a nuisance in the Italian capital for years, but unpleasant encounters between boar and Romans appear to be on the rise, the
reports. After a spate of attacks, including one in which a...
COVID Restrictions Ease
in Time for Tourist Season
May 1, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
COVID Restrictions Ease in Time for Tourist Season
Greece relaxes flight rules, as Italy drops health pass
- Italy and Greece relaxed certain COVID-19 restrictions on Sunday, in a sign that life was increasingly returning to normal before Europe's peak summer tourist season. Greece's civil aviation authority announced that it was lifting all COVID-19 rules for international and domestic flights, except for the wearing of face...
77 Years After
US Soldiers Stole
Her Cake, a New One
Apr 29, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
77 Years After US Soldiers Stole Her Cake, a New One
US Army tries to make up for its shameless 1945 swipe from Italy's Meri Mion, now 90
- What should have been an exciting entry into teenhood for Meri Mion was marred by the fact that someone stole the birthday cake her mom had baked for her. Now, 77 years later, an act of contrition from the perp—none other than the US Army, reports the BBC . The...
Giving Father's Name to Child
Shouldn't Be Automatic: Court
Apr 27, 2022 3:24 PM CDT
Giving Father's Name to Child Shouldn't Be Automatic: Court
Official says Italian government will support move to end discriminatory practice
- Children should not automatically be given the father's surname at birth, a court in Italy has ruled, calling the traditional practice "discriminatory and harmful to the identity" of the child. Newborns should receive the surnames of both parents, the court said in a statement, the
Bear Relocated After
Bakery Break-in Walks
100 Miles 'Home'
Apr 14, 2022 8:22 AM CDT
Bear Relocated After Bakery Break-in Walks 100 Miles 'Home'
'Juan Carrito' has returned to Italian mountain town
- For a young brown bear in Italy, the call of the trash turned out to be a lot stronger than the call of the wild. The bear, named "Juan Carrito" by residents of a ski town in the Abruzzo region, has returned to the town after a failed effort...
You Can Now Get Paid
to Get Married in Italy
Mar 1, 2022 1:57 PM CST
You Can Now Get Paid to Get Married in Italy
New initiative will refund couples $2,250 for Lazio-based wedding services in 2022
- The coronavirus pandemic has put a real damper on the wedding and tourism industries. But Italy is fighting back with a new $11 million initiative that aims to boost both industries while possibly funding your wedding. Any couple—Italian or foreign—who opt to marry or begin a civil union...
Woman Found Dead in Chair
Had Been There Since 2019
Feb 9, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Woman Found Dead in Chair Had Been There Since 2019
Body of 70-year-old Italian woman Marinella Beretta found Friday
- The residents of Como, Italy, have been invited to the funeral of a woman who died two years ago—and whose body was just discovered. CNN reports the decomposed body of Marinella Beretta was found sitting in a chair in her living room on Friday. The local fire brigade discovered...
Italy for $335M
Feb 9, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Ex-Royals Sue Italy for $335M Crown Jewels
Children of Italy's last king say the treasure chest held at bank is rightfully theirs
- The children of Italy's last king are suing the Italian state to reclaim the crown jewels, including more than 6,000 diamonds and 2,000 pearls. The
has the story from Rome, where the descendants of King Umberto II have been fighting to get their hands on a...
for 7 Years
Jan 30, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Italy Re-Ups Mattarella, 80, for 7 Years
President had already rented an apartment for his retirement
- Italian President Sergio Mattarella was pulled away from his impending retirement and reelected Saturday to a second seven-year term as the country's head of state, ending days of political impasse by party leaders that risked eroding the nation's credibility. Earlier in the day, lawmakers entreated Mattarella, 80, who...
on Doomed PM's
for Big Bucks
Jan 28, 2022 2:47 PM CST
Terrorists' Note on Doomed PM's Kidnapping Sells for Big Bucks
1978 letter from Italy's Red Brigades blew past auction estimate, goes for $29K
- A 1978 note announcing the abduction of a former Italian prime minister by the group that would later kill him has sold for 15 times the estimate at a controversial auction in Rome. The two-sided letter from communist guerrilla group Red Brigades, written on the group's letterhead, was the...
19-Year Fight Over Loud
Toilet Is Finally Over
in case you missed it
Jan 23, 2022 1:55 PM CST
19-Year Fight Over Loud Toilet Is Finally Over
Couple wins lawsuit over owners of neighboring apartment
- Back in 2003, somebody flushed a toilet in the middle of the night in Italy and the couple in the neighboring apartment thought, boy that was loud. Nineteen years later, that couple near La Spezia has finally won their legal case against the neighbors for too-loud flushing at night, reports...
Texas-Born Princess Tries,
Fails to Sell an Opulent Villa
Jan 19, 2022 3:09 PM CST
Texas-Born Princess Tries, Fails to Sell an Opulent Villa
There were no takers for Villa Aurora at $400M
- Texas-born Princess Rita Boncompagni Ludovisi is having a hard time unloading a 16th-century Italian villa loaded with countless priceless pieces of art and appraised at $533 million—despite a price tag far lower. A court-ordered auction of the "Villa Aurora" estate in Rome failed to draw any bids on...
Cops Nab Fugitive Mafia Boss
Thanks to Google Street View
Jan 6, 2022 9:39 AM CST
Cops Nab Fugitive Mafia Boss Thanks to Google Street View
Convicted killer Gioacchino Gammino had fled Italy for Spain
- An Italian mafia boss and convicted murderer who escaped from prison in Rome 20 years ago has been arrested in Spain—thanks in part to a sighting on Google Street View. Authorities say they already believed 61-year-old Gioacchino Gammino to be hiding in Spain, though the sighting of him and...
It's the First Study
to Examine Sicily's
Jan 5, 2022 12:30 PM CST
It's the First Study to Examine Sicily's Child Mummies
Researchers to examine 41 'tiny dolls' mummified in Sicily's Capuchin Catacombs
- The Capuchin Catacombs in Sicily, Italy, are famous for their nearly 1,300 mummified corpses on display to the public. Now researchers plan to conduct the first-ever study devoted to a subset of those mummies—the children. Specifically, researchers from Staffordshire University in the UK will examine 41 mummified children,...
Dec 24, 2021 3:55 PM CST
Pope Francis: Grandeur Isn't the Key
Larger crowd than last year's attends Midnight Mass in St. Peter's Basilica
- Pope Francis celebrated Christmas Eve Mass before an estimated 2,000 people in St. Peter’s Basilica on Friday, going ahead with the service despite the resurgence in COVID-19 cases that has prompted a new vaccine mandate for Vatican employees. A maskless Francis processed down the central aisle as the...
Rare Find: Infant Girl
Buried 10K Years Ago
Dec 16, 2021 12:12 PM CST
Rare Find: Infant Girl Buried 10K Years Ago
Burial suggests females were highly regarded at the time
- The earliest known burial of a female infant in Europe has convinced some archaeologists that humans living 10,000 years ago considered females as members of society at birth—a find that might be surprising considering many women didn’t gain personhood under law until the 20th century. The child,...
Guy Who Tried to
Get Shot in Fake Arm
Gets Vaccine for Real
Dec 4, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Guy Who Tried to Get Shot in Fake Arm Gets Vaccine for Real
Dentist in Italy says phony limb was protest against vaccine mandates
: An Italian dentist who tried to get a COVID vaccine in a fake arm says he got the vaccine for real the next day. Dr. Guido Russo told a talk show Wednesday night that he's not anti-vaccination, but he wanted to protest vaccine mandates, the AP reports. "...
This Vesuvius Victim
Dec 2, 2021 9:50 AM CST
This Vesuvius Victim 'Vaporized Instantly'
First skeleton found at Herculaneum in decades is stained red by blood
- If you had to endure the AD79 eruption of Mount Vesuvius, Pompeii might not have been the worst place to be. While Pompeii residents are believed to have suffocated in a cloud of ash and gases in just 15 minutes, before they were covered in volcanic debris, new excavations at...
Killer Walks Free
Nov 23, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Meredith Kercher's Killer Walks Free
Rudy Guede, who maintains his innocence, served just 13 years
- The only person with a lasting conviction in the 2007 murder of British student Meredith Kercher is free. If you don't know the name Rudy Guede, blame the fiasco that was the murder conviction of Amanda Knox. Whereas Knox and former Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were convicted in Kercher'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Cyclist Accused of Killing Fellow Rider Is at Large
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Destructive Jumping Worms Are Now in California
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.