Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
US Supreme Court
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 20, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Has More Ginni Thomas Election Emails
They show she implored Arizona lawmakers to disregard 2020 vote, name 'clean' electors
has obtained more messages from Virginia "Ginni" Thomas in regard to her efforts to keep former President Trump in office. Thomas—wife of the Supreme Court's Clarence Thomas—emailed two Arizona lawmakers in November 2020 and implored them to disregard vote results showing a victory...
Study Explored What Happens
When Abortions Are Denied
May 16, 2022 1:43 PM CDT
Study Explored What Happens When Abortions Are Denied
Among other things, women tended to end up in tougher financial straits, according to Turnaway Study
- In a 2007 abortion case, then-Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote: “While we find no reliable data to measure the phenomenon, it seems unexceptionable to conclude some women come to regret their choice. … Severe depression and loss of esteem can follow.” Per NPR, those words caught demographer Diana Greene...
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory
Before the Supreme Court
May 16, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
Case involves obscure part of campaign finance law
- The Supreme Court on Monday sided with Sen. Ted Cruz in his challenge to a provision of federal campaign finance law, per the AP . The justices, in a 6-3 decision that divided the court along ideological lines, declared that the somewhat obscure section of the law violates the Constitution. Chief...
May 15, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Thomas: Justices Don't Trust Each Other Anymore
Breakdown of faith could threaten the court, he says, while suggesting he preferred past colleagues
- In his first public comments after the leak of a Supreme Court draft opinion on abortion rights, Justice Clarence Thomas used words like "unfortunate" and talked around the issue. Thomas addressed the issues more directly in a speech Friday night in Dallas, the
New York Times
'Bans Off our Bodies'
Events Draw Thousands
May 14, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
'Bans Off our Bodies' Events Draw Thousands
Abortion rights activists stress the need for quick action
- Abortion rights supporters demonstrating at hundreds of marches and rallies Saturday expressed their outrage that the US Supreme Court will soon scrap the constitutional right to abortion that has endured for nearly a half-century and their fear about what that could mean for women's reproductive choices. Incensed after a...
'If It's a Fight They Want,
It's a Fight They'll Get'
May 14, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
'If It's a Fight They Want, It's a Fight They'll Get'
Abortion rights advocates are set to demonstrate across the nation on Saturday
- Demonstrators facing down a Supreme Court decision that could overturn the constitutional right to abortion planned rallies from coast to coast Saturday to express their outrage—and to mobilize for the fight ahead. More than 380 events were set from Maine to Hawaii, with the largest gatherings expected in Los...
Margaret Atwood: My
Is Coming True
May 13, 2022 12:21 PM CDT
Margaret Atwood: My 'Far-Fetched' Tale Is Coming True
Author weighs in against Supreme Court draft opinion to overturn Roe v. Wade
- The author of
The Handmaid's Tale
says her dystopian story of a world in which women are forced to become pregnant and give birth is coming to life as evidenced by the Supreme Court draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade. In a piece at the
After Protests at Judges'
Homes, Biden Speaks Out
May 9, 2022 2:11 PM CDT
After Protests at Judges' Homes, Biden Speaks Out
They 'must be able to do their jobs without concern for their personal safety'
- President Biden on Monday expressed his support for judges after protesters converged on the private homes of two Supreme Court justices in the DC area over the weekend. "Judges perform an incredibly important function in our society, and they must be able to do their jobs without concern for...
May 7, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas Speaks On This Week's 'Unfortunate Events'
After leaked draft opinion tied to overturning Roe, justice says Supreme Court won't be 'bullied'
- Chief Justice John Roberts has spoken out on the leak of the Supreme Court's draft opinion on its plans to dismantle Roe v. Wade. Now, another justice on the nation's high court is weighing in, if a bit more indirectly. On Thursday, a "relaxed and upbeat" Clarence...
John Roberts Speaks Out
on Supreme Court Leak
May 6, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
John Roberts Speaks Out on Supreme Court Leak
Chief justice calls it 'absolutely appalling'
- Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts went forward with an event Thursday as planned, despite the controversy swirling around the leaked draft opinion showing the high court plans to dismantle Roe v. Wade. Speaking at a meeting of lawyers and judges at the 11th Circuit Judicial Conference, in what was...
Texas Might Fight Ruling That
States Must Educate All Children
May 5, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Texas Might Fight Ruling That States Must Educate All Children
1982 Supreme Court case applied to undocumented students, as well
- Gov. Greg Abbott said Texas may fight a Supreme Court ruling mandating that public education for all children, including undocumented immigrants, be provided free by the states. Texas already sued the federal government over the cost of complying with the ruling, the Hill reports. That was a loss for the...
to Be Shifting
May 5, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
Alito Appears to Be Shifting Away From Roberts
Also, Supreme Court justice cancels appearance in wake of big leak
- In what may be a sign of how heated things have gotten in the wake of this week's bombshell Supreme Court leak , justice Samuel Alito has canceled an appearance. Reuters reports that Alito—author of the leaked draft opinion that would dismantle Roe v. Wade —was to appear...
'Sacred Trust' or
May 4, 2022 12:26 PM CDT
SCOTUS Leak: Violation of 'Sacred Trust' or 'Public Service'?
6 wildly different takes
- There's no shortage of opinion pieces on the shocking leak of a draft Supreme Court opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade. Some say it's "a journalistic coup of the highest order." Others say it's "a fundamental assault upon the institution." Six wide-ranging...
Murkowski: Leak 'Rocks
My Confidence in the Court'
May 3, 2022 8:32 PM CDT
Murkowski: Leak 'Rocks My Confidence in the Court'
Collins, Murkowski speak out on leaked SCOTUS abortion opinion
- The stunning leak of a draft Supreme Court opinion overturning Roe v. Wade has shocked and dismayed abortion rights supporters nationwide—including at least two Republican senators. Sens. Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski both supported the nominations of Supreme Court justices who voted to strike down the 1973 decision in...
Roberts Launches Investigation
Into SCOTUS Leaker
May 3, 2022 11:41 AM CDT
Roberts Launches Investigation Into SCOTUS Leaker
Chief justice confirms draft opinion is authentic but says it is not a final ruling
- Who's the leaker? The Supreme Court is launching an investigation to figure that out after Monday's bombshell disclosure regarding a monumental abortion decision. "This was a singular and egregious breach of that trust that is an affront to the Court," said Chief Justice John Roberts in...
Biden Weighs In on
Fate of Roe v. Wade
May 3, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Biden Weighs In on Fate of Roe v. Wade
President says right to abortion should be codified into law
- President Biden has weighed in on the extraordinary leak at the Supreme Court, arguing that a woman's right to abortion should be codified into law, reports Axios . "At the federal level, we will need more pro-choice Senators and a pro-choice majority in the House to adopt legislation that...
John Roberts May Dissent
From Ruling to Ditch Roe
May 3, 2022 6:59 AM CDT
John Roberts May Dissent From Ruling to Ditch Roe
But landmark decision expected to fall anyway, and about half the states may outlaw abortion
- Politico's Supreme Court bombshell looks to be legit: A leaked draft opinion shows that the court's majority will overturn Roe v. Wade in the coming weeks. All coverage is quick to point out that a draft opinion is not a final opinion, and that things could change before...
Leaked Draft Opinion: This Is
'Gravest, Most Unforgivable Sin'
May 2, 2022 9:48 PM CDT
Leaked Draft Opinion: This Is 'Gravest, Most Unforgivable Sin'
It seems that never before has a SCOTUS draft opinion been leaked
- Politico was the media outlet that received a copy of the draft opinion revealing that the Supreme Court is set to overturn abortion rights —and in a separate piece , the news site reports that such a breach is exceedingly rare, perhaps unprecedented. Indeed, "Supreme Court historians, former law...
In Draft Opinion, Supreme Court
Votes to Overturn Roe v. Wade
May 2, 2022 9:02 PM CDT
In Draft Opinion, Supreme Court Votes to Overturn Roe v. Wade
In exceptionally rare occurrence, draft opinion is leaked
- A draft opinion in the closely-watched Mississippi abortion case that was leaked to Politico shows that the Supreme Court has voted to side with Mississippi and overturn abortion rights. Politico notes that nothing is final until the opinion is published, which will likely happen sometime in the next two months,...
Breyer Praised as King of
'Hypotheticals Downright Silly'
Apr 27, 2022 1:37 PM CDT
Breyer Praised as King of 'Hypotheticals Downright Silly'
He heard his last SCOTUS case Wednesday
- The fertile mind of Justice Stephen Breyer has conjured a stream of hypothetical questions through the years that have, in the words of a colleague, "befuddled" lawyers and justices alike. Breyer, 83, was at it once again Tuesday, inventing a prison inmate named John the Tigerman in a case...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.