Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Academy Finally Rights
a 50-Year-Old Racist Wrong
Aug 16, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
The Academy Finally Rights a 50-Year-Old Racist Wrong
Sacheen Littlefeather declined Marlon Brando's Oscar, at his request, got booed
- In 1973, Sacheen Littlefeather walked onstage at the Academy Awards to decline the best actor Oscar on Marlon Brando's behalf. The actor had given the Native American activist and actress eight pages of typed notes to read, but the show's producer told her just before she went on...
Will Smith Refused
to Leave Ceremony
Mar 30, 2022 7:00 PM CDT
Academy Says Will Smith Refused to Leave Ceremony
Board of governors condemns 'deeply shocking, traumatic event'
This story has been updated with new developments
. Will Smith remained sitting in the front row at the Oscars after he slapped Chris Rock on Sunday night, but he was no longer a welcome guest, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences says. The Academy said Wednesday that...
5 Notable Oscar Snubs
Mar 15, 2021 2:51 PM CDT
5 Notable Oscar Snubs
Regina King would have been first Black woman nominated for best director
- The nominees for this year's Oscars are out—and, as ever, a lot of attention has now turned toward those who
make the cut. Some notable snubs:
One Night in Miami
notes that King would have been the first Black woman nominated for the
36% of the Academy's 819
New Invitees Are POC
Jul 1, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
36% of the Academy's 819 New Invitees Are POC
Awkwafina, Zendaya, Cynthia Erivo among the invitees
- Cynthia Erivo, John David Washington, Eva Longoria, Zendaya, and Awkwafina are among the 819 people who have been invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The organization that puts on the Oscars announced the new invitees Tuesday, the AP reports. If they accept, which most do,...
for 1st Time Since 1981
Jun 15, 2020 2:14 PM CDT
Oscars Postponed for 1st Time Since 1981
Ceremony will now be held on April 25
- The Oscars are being postponed for the fourth time in their history. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the ABC Television Network said Monday that the 93rd Academy Awards will now be held April 25, 2021, eight weeks later than originally planned because of the pandemic's...
Oscars Will Have a
2020-Only Rule Change
Apr 28, 2020 5:24 PM CDT
Oscars Will Have a 2020-Only Rule Change
Films won't need a theatrical run to qualify
- Movies that debuted on a streaming service without a theatrical run will be eligible for the Oscars, but only for this year. The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences on Tuesday announced the change for the 93rd Academy Awards as a response to how the coronavirus pandemic has impacted...
What to Watch for
in Oscar Nominations
Jan 13, 2020 12:47 AM CST
What to Watch for in Oscar Nominations
Nominees will be announced Monday morning
- Who will be celebrating Oscar morning? Brad Pitt for sure. Jennifer Lopez almost certainly. And very possibly the Obamas, too. Nominations for the 92nd Academy Awards, which will begin at 8:18am EST Monday, should bring plenty of star power to the Feb. 9 ceremony—a good thing, too, since...
Go It Alone
Again This Year
Jan 8, 2020 3:15 PM CST
Oscars Will Go It Alone Again This Year
Ratings for the broadcast rose last year with no emcee
- "Give the people what they want," the Hollywood maxim says, and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences still likes that formula. Ratings for the Oscars broadcast rose a bit last year for the hostless show, and ABC announced Wednesday that there will be no emcee this...
Apr 20, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Fugitive Director Sues Academy Over Expulsion
Roman Polanski was kicked out along with Bill Cosby
- Roman Polanski has sued to win back membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, NBC reports. The organization expelled him last year, along with comedian Bill Cosby, in response to growing condemnation involving sexual assault allegations. The director has been a fugitive since 1978, when he left...
DoJ Warns Academy
Against Excluding Netflix
Apr 3, 2019 5:17 AM CDT
DoJ Warns Academy Against Excluding Netflix
Move could violate antitrust laws
- The Justice Department is now involved in the Hollywood dispute over the Oscars eligibility of movies made by Netflix and other streaming services. Makan Delrahim, an assistant attorney general in the antitrust division, has warned Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences CEO Dawn Hudson that new rules being considered...
Mar 4, 2019 11:40 AM CST
Netflix Responds to Spielberg Over Oscars
Streaming service hits back after director suggests change to Academy Awards
- Steven Spielberg made waves last week with the news that he will be advocating for a big change to the Academy Awards: The director doesn't want Netflix films (or any films that debut on streaming services, rather than in theaters) eligible for Oscars. The news comes on the heels...
Feb 16, 2019 7:05 AM CST
Academy Nixes Oscars Plan After Backlash
Decision reversed on not showing 4 awards live
- Twitter tweeted , A-listers revolted , and now, the Academy has acquiesced. A decision to not show live four awards (those for cinematography, film editing, live action short, and makeup and hairstyling) during the Feb. 24 broadcast received much pushback since it was announced earlier this week, and now the Academy of...
Feb 15, 2019 8:09 AM CST
Hollywood A-Listers Revolt Against Oscars
Hundreds of big-name actors, directors, cinematographers slam Academy decision
- The backlash against the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences continues, and increasingly bigger names are joining the fray. After announcing that four awards would be bestowed during commercial breaks at the Feb. 24 Oscars, there was immediate pushback from those who said it was insulting to recipients in...
4 Oscars Will
During the Breaks.
Feb 12, 2019 1:47 PM CST
4 Oscars Will Be Awarded During the Breaks. There's Pushback
Not everyone happy that cinematography, film editing are being relegated to commercials
- In an attempt to streamline Oscars night, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is making a change it hopes will contain the show to three hours. Four major awards—film editing, cinematography, live action short, and makeup and hairstyling—will be announced during commercial breaks of the Feb....
This Year's Oscars
Will Have No Host
Feb 5, 2019 1:24 AM CST
This Year's Oscars Will Have No Host
It's the first time this has happened in 30 years
- It's been called "the least wanted job in Hollywood" —and this year, nobody's going to do it. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences confirmed Monday that this year's Oscars will be the first without a host in 30 years, Mediaweek reports. The Academy...
A New Twist
in the Oscars
Jan 4, 2019 6:39 AM CST
A New Twist in the Oscars Hosting Drama?
Ellen DeGeneres told Kevin Hart the Academy wants him
- He got a gig "nobody was trying to score," and then he just as swiftly lost it . Now, nearly a month after Kevin Hart stepped down from hosting the Oscars after past homophobic tweets surfaced, the 39-year-old comedian may be reconsidering his decision.
reports Hart revealed this...
Oscars Consider Odd
Choice: No Host at All
Dec 11, 2018 5:13 AM CST
Oscars Consider Odd Choice: No Host at All
Kevin Hart's departure has Academy 'freaking out'
- It was the " least wanted job in Hollywood "—and after the exit of Kevin Hart , it might be the job that exactly nobody does. Sources tell
that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was "blindsided" by Hart's decision to step down as...
These Oscars Are
Up for Grabs
Nov 19, 2018 10:10 AM CST
Looking for Holiday Gifts? These Oscars Are Up for Grabs
Statuettes for 'Mutiny on the Bounty,' 'Gentleman's Agreement' up for sale in rare auction
- Two Academy Awards for best picture are going up for sale in a rare auction of Oscars. Auction house Profiles in History announced Monday that an Oscar awarded to
Mutiny on the Bounty
in 1936 and another given to
in 1948 will go up for auction in...
Controversial Oscar Change
Walked Back After Outcry
Sep 7, 2018 6:45 AM CDT
Controversial Oscar Change Walked Back After Outcry
Crowd-pleasing films won't be getting their own 'popular' category—at least not yet
- And the winner is … not the new Oscars category. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced a slew of changes last month to its annual awards show, among them a new "outstanding achievement in popular film" category meant to reward films perhaps not critically acclaimed but...
Claims of Sexual
Mar 16, 2018 6:51 PM CDT
Academy Prez Faces Multiple Claims of Sexual Harassment
John Bailey being investigated by Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- The man overseeing the Academy's response to the #MeToo movement is now facing multiple allegations of sexual harassment, sources tell
. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences opened a probe into its president, John Bailey, Wednesday after receiving three harassment claims regarding him....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.