Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
NASA Loses Touch With
Voyager 2 After Foul-Up
Jul 31, 2023 7:40 PM CDT
NASA Loses Touch With Voyager 2 After Foul-Up
Instruction from Earth shifted antenna out of line
- On July 21, NASA sent a series of commands to Voyager 2, which is 12.4 billion miles from Earth. One of them had the unplanned effect of moving the spacecraft's antenna 2 degrees, enough of a change in orientation to break off communication with Mission Control. For now,...
NASA 'Trick' Boosts
Voyager 2's Life by 3 Years
Apr 28, 2023 1:36 PM CDT
NASA 'Trick' Boosts Voyager 2's Life by 3 Years
Space agency figured out a way to fiddle with the spacecraft's power
- NASA has found a way to keep Voyager 2 fully operational until 2026 by adding a new power source, reports Business Insider . Forty-five years after the probe's launch, the move described as a "technical trick" by Space.com means V2 won't have to shut down one of...
Voyager 1 Glitch
May 19, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Voyager 1 Glitch Puzzles NASA
Venerable space traveler is mainly OK, but some of the data it's sending back is off
- In the grand scheme of things, the astonishing Voyager 1 is still behaving like a champ. But the 45-year-old space probe is experiencing a glitch that has NASA scientists baffled, reports CNN . As Space.com describes it, Voyager has lately "appeared confused about its location in space." However,...
Voyager 2 Cracks Big
Boundary in Deep Space
Dec 10, 2018 10:00 AM CST
Voyager 2 Cracks Big Boundary in Deep Space
Spacecraft becomes 2nd man-made craft to enter interstellar space
- NASA is now two for two in regard to a huge achievement in space. Voyager 2 has become only the second man-made object to enter interstellar space, or the "space between the stars," as a release from the agency's Jet Propulsion Laboratory puts it. The first was...
Now Available: Same Record
We Shipped to Extraterrestrials
Nov 27, 2017 9:29 AM CST
Now Available: Same Record We Shipped to Extraterrestrials
'Voyager Golden Record' from 1970s is being released to the public
- Somewhere out in the great abyss of space, an alien may be jamming to Chuck Berry this very moment. Now, earthlings can buy the very same record. The
reports that startup Ozma Records is poised to begin shipping copies of the famed
that NASA sent into...
Scientists Found Something
Surprising Near Uranus
Oct 26, 2016 3:45 PM CDT
Scientists Found Something Surprising Near Uranus
The gas giant may have two small, undiscovered moons
- Scientists are taking a closer look at Uranus after strange patterns turned up in images from 30 years ago. Engadget reports that researchers looking at data from NASA's Voyager 2—which became the only spacecraft ever to fly by Uranus when it did so in 1986—noticed that the...
Earth's Message to Aliens
Coming to Humans Soon
Sep 22, 2016 7:43 AM CDT
Earth's Message to Aliens Coming to Humans Soon
Kickstarter campaign seeks to release vinyl version of Voyager's 'golden record'
- It’s been dubbed "music for aliens," but the Voyager golden record, sent into space on NASA's Voyager 1 and 2 in 1977, was as much "a gift
humanity" as it was "a gift from humanity to the cosmos," per a Kickstarter campaign....
Solar System Is Dented: Voyager
Dec 11, 2007 9:18 AM CST
Solar System Is Dented: Voyager
Intrepid spacecraft finds strange bulges in the heliosphere
- Far out in space, a violent boundary zone marks the point where our solar system ends and outer space begins. NASA's Voyager 2 has now confirmed what its sister ship indicated: that this region is squashed and uneven, Space.com
reports. This shock wave "sloshes back and forth like...
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.