Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Buyer of World's
Largest Bottle of
Aug 31, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Buyer of World's Largest Bottle of Whisky Revealed
311-liter bottle of Macallan joins Viet Nguyen Dinh Tuan's $190M collection
- The owner of the most expensive whisky cask sold at auction has been revealed as a Vietnamese man with a spirits collection valued at $190 million. Viet Nguyen Dinh Tuan, who paid nearly $1.2 million for the cask of 32-year-old Macallan single malt whisky, bottled in a 311-liter vessel...
Fireball Cinnamon Maker Sued
Over 'Misleading' Bottles
Jan 26, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Fireball Cinnamon Maker Sued Over 'Misleading' Bottles
Lawsuit says it's too easy to mistake mini-bottles for Fireball Cinnamon Whisky, another product
- The maker of Fireball Cinnamon Whisky and Fireball Cinnamon is being sued over what an Illinois woman alleges is deliberately misleading packaging on the mini-bottles often seen near store checkouts. Fireball Cinnamon Whisky is 33% alcohol by volume and contains actual whiskey, while Fireball Cinnamon is a whiskey-flavored malt beverage...
DUIs on Golf Carts and
Scooters? Welcome to Florida
Aug 4, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
DUIs on Golf Carts and Scooters? Welcome to Florida
Recent arrests occurred along state's busiest interstate, at Walmart
- A woman with an open bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey in a bag was arrested for driving a golf cart on Florida's busiest interstate while drunk, according to an arrest report. The 58-year-old woman was arrested Saturday night on the shoulder of Interstate 95. She's now facing...
Novel Solution to Invasive
Crabs: Turn Them Into Whiskey
Jun 28, 2022 8:24 AM CDT
Novel Solution to Invasive Crabs: Turn Them Into Whiskey
New Hampshire distillery makes new flavor out of troublesome green crabs
- Care for a hint of crab in your whiskey? A New Hampshire distillery has come up with its newest concoction called “Crab Trapper"—whiskey flavored with invasive green crabs, per the AP . Tamworth Distilling's Matt Power said the company heard about the problems caused by the green...
If You Get a Call From
'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
Jun 21, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
If You Get a Call From 'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
$13M has been stolen from the elderly in a rare-wine scam
- The world of fine wine and whiskey continues to be a magnet for thieves and frauds . The
reports on allegations that three England-based companies claiming huge returns on investments in rare booze actually stole more than $13 million from at least 150 Americans—many of them elderly. Representatives...
An Artificial Nose
Is Sniffing Out
Apr 19, 2022 9:42 AM CDT
An Artificial Nose Is Sniffing Out Fake Whiskey
Study suggests NOS.E prototype is quite accurate and quick to boot
- Few people can identify a whiskey from only a sniff—which is a problem for those willing to pay more than $10,000 for a supposedly rare dram in an industry proliferated by fake vintages . At least it was a problem before the NOS.E—an electronic nose that researchers...
Feds: $5.8K Bottle of Whiskey
Given to Pompeo Is Missing
Aug 5, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
Feds: $5.8K Bottle of Whiskey Given to Pompeo Is Missing
It was a gift from the government of Japan
- A recent notice in the Federal Register list dozens of gifts from foreign governments to federal employees in 2019, all with the same reason for acceptance: "Non-acceptance would cause embarrassment to donor and US government." But the annual accounting of gifts contains one mystery: The whereabouts of a...
Trump-Era Hangover Set to
Get Worse for Whiskey Makers
Mar 21, 2021 5:29 PM CDT
Trump-Era Hangover Set to Get Worse for Whiskey Makers
The EU's tariff rate is scheduled to double this summer
- A hangover from Trump-era tariff disputes could become even more painful for American whiskey distillers unless their entanglement in a trans-Atlantic trade fight is resolved soon, per the AP . Bourbon, Tennessee whiskey, and rye whiskey were left out of recent breakthroughs to start rebuilding US trade relations with the European...
Try to Hack
Feb 15, 2021 11:06 AM CST
Whiskey Makers Try to Hack Tradition
New processes might eliminate the need for the usual aging process
- Most people want to turn back time. Among whiskey makers, a quest has evolved to speed it up. Last fall, Silicon Valley startup Bespoken Spirits made headlines by raising $2.6 million in seed funding to introduce a rapid-aging process that would nix having to mature whiskey in barrels, which...
Vatican Has Pope's Joke
Cut From Documentary
Apr 17, 2020 5:18 AM CDT
Vatican Has Pope's Joke Cut From Documentary
It was a good-humored moment involving scotch whisky
- Scotch whisky is "the real holy water," Pope Francis joked when a group of student priests from Scotland presented him with a bottle—but Vatican censors didn't laugh when they saw the footage. The moment when the seminarians presented Francis with a bottle of Oban 14 malt...
'Perfect' Whiskey Collection
Is Going Up for Sale
Dec 9, 2019 10:49 AM CST
'Perfect' Whiskey Collection Is Going Up for Sale
Private collection of 3,900 bottles, many of them rare, could fetch up to $10.5M in total at auction
- What to get as a gift for the person who has everything? Consider the largest private collection of whiskey ever to go up for public sale. Of course, you'll have to have anywhere from $9.2 million to $10.5 million to afford said collection, which is referred to...
Distillery to Release Bourbon
102 Years After It Last Did
Jun 13, 2019 4:26 AM CDT
Distillery to Release Bourbon 102 Years After It Last Did
Kentucky distillery had been closed since Prohibition
- The last time the Kentucky Peerless Distilling Company produced a barrel of bourbon, America had just entered World War I—and Prohibition was looming. The revived Louisville distillery says its first bourbon in 102 years will be released in limited quantities on June 22, WLKY reports. Corky Taylor, great-grandson of...
There's a Good
Chance Your Rare
Scotch Is Fake
Dec 20, 2018 11:00 AM CST
There's a Good Chance Your Rare Scotch Is Fake
Be careful what you buy, especially if it's claimed as a single malt
- A word of warning if you plan to celebrate the holidays by sipping on vintage Scotch whisky: There's a solid chance the stuff you have is fake. Advanced lab tests on 55 bottles of rare scotch nabbed from auctions, private collections, and retailers revealed 21 were outright fakes or...
Up to 9K Whiskey Barrels Just
Crashed to the Ground in Ky.
Jun 23, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
Up to 9K Whiskey Barrels Just Crashed to the Ground in Ky.
No one was hurt during the warehouse collapse at Barton 1792 Distillery
- Thousands of whiskey barrels crashed into a massive heap Friday when a large section of a decades-old storage warehouse collapsed at a distillery in the heart of Kentucky bourbon country. The damaged warehouse at the Barton 1792 Distillery in Bardstown held about 18,000 barrels, and it appeared that up...
EU's 'First Phase of Retaliation'
Against US Launches Friday
Jun 20, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
EU's 'First Phase of Retaliation' Against US Launches Friday
The tariffs it threatened in March are on their way
- The tariff tit for tat continues, with the EU set to put a wave of new tariffs against US exports into place on Friday. It's a response to the steel and aluminum tariffs that were imposed on the bloc three weeks ago , and the BBC characterizes the to-be-targeted exports...
Johnnie Walker May Soon
Have a Lady Friend
Jan 15, 2018 12:38 PM CST
Johnnie Walker May Soon Have a Lady Friend
Parent company Diageo has reportedly filed trademark documents for Jane Walker
- Tarzan had his Jane, and so, too, will Johnnie. Thanks to the "Me Too" and "Time's Up" movements, gender equality is gaining new awareness in the workplace, and now perhaps in your whisky: TMZ reports that Diageo, parent company of the Johnnie Walker brand, put in the...
Aug 20, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
Chemists Discover Why Water Improves Whisky
How much is largely a matter of personal taste
- Whisky connoisseurs have long claimed that whisky tastes better with a splash of water, or on the rocks with ice cubes. And while that will always, ultimately, be a matter of taste, scientists in Sweden have decided to study how the addition of water chemically alters the drink. They report...
Whiskey Heir Says
She Was Sacked
for Being Lesbian
Aug 3, 2017 9:50 AM CDT
Whiskey Heir Says She Was Sacked for Being Lesbian
Hollis Bulleit says she came out 10 years ago but was rejected by her family
- After working for more than two decades at the whiskey business her father re-founded , Hollis Bulleit says she was fired by email right before Christmas because she refused to stay silent about being a lesbian. Dubbed the "First Lady of Bourbon," Bulleit says she has kept mum at...
It's Time to Recognize
the Slave Behind
Jul 21, 2017 1:10 PM CDT
It's Time to Recognize the Slave Behind Jack Daniel's
Nearest Green gets own foundation, scholarship, park, and whiskey, of course
- Few lovers of Tennessee whiskey likely know they owe their favorite drink to a slave named Nearest Green. Jack Daniel's only recently started publicly recognizing Green's vital role in its history, according to a
New York Times
story that went viral last year. But Green's time as—...
Southern Comfort Is About to
Add a Surprising Ingredient
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 14, 2017 6:59 AM CDT
Southern Comfort Is About to Add a Surprising Ingredient
If you thought it already contained whiskey, it doesn't—but it once did, and it will again
- Southern Comfort bills itself as "the spirit of New Orleans," but the generic grain-neutral spirit base it contains (an ingredient not far removed from vodka) doesn't exactly scream "Deep South character." The Sazerac Company, owner of the college-staple brand, wants to change that perception—and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
Drug Gangs Threaten Peace of Famous Squatter Commune
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.