Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Gets Stiff Sentence in
Brazil's First Jan. 8 Riot Trial
Sep 15, 2023 5:11 AM CDT
Man Gets Stiff Sentence in Brazil's First Jan. 8 Riot Trial
Case was heard in Supreme Court building trashed by rioters
- A man who stormed government buildings with a mob that claimed a presidential election was rigged received a stiff prison sentence Monday—and it wasn't in Washington, DC. Aecio Pereira, 51, was sentenced to 17 years for his role in the Jan. 8, 2023 riot in Brazil's capital,...
Spotted on Camera
Sep 4, 2023 1:12 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer Spotted on Camera
Danelo Cavalcante, who fled county jail in Pennsylvania, also is wanted in Brazil
- The murderer who fled a Pennsylvania jail last week was spotted around 12:30am Saturday on a residential surveillance camera around a mile and a half from Chester County Prison, from which he escaped Thursday, CBS News reports. Roads in the area were blocked off to anyone other than residents...
They Crossed the Atlantic
on Ship's Rudder
Aug 2, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
They Crossed the Atlantic on Ship's Rudder
4 Nigerian men survived 14-day journey to arrive in Brazil, where 2 are now seeking asylum
- Four men spent 14 days clinging to the rudder of a ship as it carried them 3,500 miles across the Atlantic Ocean from Nigeria to Brazil. The remarkable journey began in late June, with the departure of a Liberian-flagged ship from Lagos. Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Nigeria'...
We May Have to Rethink When
People Arrived in the Americas
Jul 12, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
We May Have to Rethink When People Arrived in the Americas
Pendants made from now-extinct giant sloths found in Brazil date back 25K-27K years
- New research suggests humans lived in South America at the same time as now extinct giant sloths, reports the AP , bolstering evidence that people arrived in the Americas earlier than once thought. Scientists analyzed triangular and teardrop-shaped pendants made of bony material from the sloths. They concluded that the carved...
Soccer Star Fined $3.3M
for Illegal Mansion Lake
Jul 5, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Soccer Star Fined $3.3M for Illegal Mansion Lake
Part of that fine is because Neymar swam in it
- Brazilian soccer star Neymar was fined more than $3.3 million for violating local environmental rules during renovations at his mansion outside Rio de Janeiro. The Mangaratiba City Hall said in a statement Monday night it had issued four fines after Neymar was accused of illegally building an artificial lake...
Judges Bar Bolsonaro From
Running for Office Until 2030
Jun 30, 2023 1:12 PM CDT
Judges Bar Bolsonaro From Running for Office Until 2030
Ex-Brazilian leader declared ineligible due to abuse of power, election fraud claims
- A panel of judges voted Friday to render far-right former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro ineligible to run for office again after concluding that he abused his power and cast unfounded doubts on the country's electronic voting system. The decision will forbid Bolsonaro from running until 2030, upending the 68-year-old'...
Brazil Warned About
Gangs Rising in Amazon
Jun 1, 2023 5:22 PM CDT
Brazil Warned About Gangs Rising in Amazon
Former police official says organized crime could control the region
- The Brazilian Amazon is in danger of becoming a lawless region plagued by fighting among armed groups and controlled by organized crime, a former senior federal police chief has warned his country. Alexandre Saraiva, who served in the Amazon for a decade, said drug-trafficking groups are on the advance, seizing...
Santos Admits to
Using Stolen Checks
May 12, 2023 10:19 AM CDT
Santos Admits to Using Stolen Checks
Congressman signs confession over 2008 theft in Brazil, will pay fine to avoid prosecution
- George Santos has admitted to forging stolen checks in Brazil more than a decade ago and will pay nearly $5,000 to settle the criminal case that has followed him ever since. A day after pleading not guilty to numerous financial crimes in the US, the embattled congressman appeared for...
Brazil Diverges From
US on School Violence
Apr 22, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Brazil Diverges From US on School Violence
Government follows 'the successes and the mistakes of other countries'
- About two weeks after a man killed four children in a Brazilian day care center, authorities already have rounded up some 300 adults and minors nationwide accused of spreading hate speech or stoking school violence. Little has been revealed about the unprecedented crackdown, which risks judicial overreach, but it underlines...
Man Jumped Daycare's Wall,
Killed 4 Kids With Hatchet
Apr 5, 2023 12:38 PM CDT
Man Jumped Daycare's Wall, Killed 4 Kids With Hatchet
Victims are said to be between the ages of 5 and 7
- A 25-year-old man armed with a hatchet jumped a wall, gained access to a daycare center in Brazil around 9am Wednesday, and murdered four children, police say. The victims are said to include three boys and a girl between the ages of five and seven, reports the BBC . The AP...
Brazilians Love Yankees Caps,
but It's Not Like They're Fans
Apr 1, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Brazilians Love Yankees Caps, but It's Not Like They're Fans
The look is sophisticated and cool, say buyers, some of whom have heard of baseball
- An art director in Rio de Janeiro shopping for a baseball cap tried to relate Brazil's attitude toward baseball, a sport many people there say they don't understand. "We can't even understand how a sport like this is so successful," João Ricardo Santos said,...
This Nation Spends
the Most Time Online
Apr 1, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
This Nation Spends the Most Time Online
South Africans spend average 578 minutes per day on the internet, per Atlas VPN
- It can be hard to accurately estimate how much time we spend online, though Atlas VPN notes that for many of us, it's a "significant portion of our day." Using data on internet usage trends among internet users 16 to 64 years old, the VPN service found...
Mar 30, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
Supporters Welcome Bolsonaro Back
Official in new administration calls former president's return to Brazil a 'flop'
- Former President Jair Bolsonaro returned Thursday to Brazil after a three-month stint in Florida following his election loss, and the right-wing populist told supporters he doesn't think leftists will be in power in Brazil for long. Bolsonaro, who is the subject of several investigations that could stymie any attempts...
Bolsonaro May Be Vacating
His Florida Digs Soon
Mar 6, 2023 7:51 AM CST
Bolsonaro May Be Vacating His Florida Digs Soon
Ex-president of Brazil says he'll return there later this month to help lead political opposition
- Like American counterpart former President Trump , Brazil's latest ex-president appeared at CPAC over the weekend, speaking to the crowd gathered at the National Harbor convention center in Oxon Hill, Maryland. And, like Trump, Jair Bolsonaro continued to deny he had any culpability in inciting the riot in his nation'...
Brazilian Police: Teenager
Took Explosives to School
Feb 13, 2023 6:09 PM CST
Brazilian Police: Teenager Took Explosives to School
Suspect was wearing a Nazi armband, officials say
- Police in Brazil arrested a teenager accused of trying to attack a school with explosives while wearing a Nazi armband Monday in a small city outside Sao Paulo. No one was injured in the incident in Monte Mor, a municipality of 56,000 residents about 75 miles northwest of Sao...
Brazil Cops: We've Got Our Guy
in Murders of Activist, Journo
Jan 24, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Brazil Cops: We've Got Our Guy in Murders of Activist, Journo
Rubens Villar Coelho is in custody, but local activists suspect others in Amazon killings
- Three men were already in custody for murdering Indigenous activist Bruno Pereira and UK journalist Dom Phillips last June in Brazil's Amazon rainforest. Now, per the
New York Times
, cops say they have the mastermind behind the killings: fishing trafficker Ruben Dario da Silva Villar, or Rubens Villar Coelho,...
Lula Airlifts Starving
Finger at Bolsonaro
Jan 24, 2023 7:27 AM CST
Lula Airlifts Starving Tribespeople, Points Finger at Bolsonaro
Hundreds of Yanomami children have reportedly died as a result of illegal mining
- Brazil's president has accused his predecessor Jair Bolsonaro of committing genocide against the remote Amazon tribe of Yanomami, whose territory has been infiltrated by illegal miners . President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, who said he was "shocked" while visiting tribespeople in Brazil's northern state of Roraima...
Lula Fires Army Chief
in Response to Uprising
Jan 21, 2023 4:25 PM CST
Lula Fires Army Chief in Response to Uprising
President had said some in military assisted the insurgents
- President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva fired Brazil's army chief on Saturday, days after the leftist leader openly said that some military members allowed the Jan. 8 uprising in the capital by far-right protesters. The official website of the Brazilian armed forces said Gen. Julio Cesar de Arruda had...
Include Staging a Coup
Jan 17, 2023 3:01 PM CST
Charges Against Pro-Bolsonaro Rioters Include Staging a Coup
39 charged in storming of government buildings
- The office of Brazil’s prosecutor-general has presented its first charges against some of the thousands of people who authorities say stormed government buildings in an effort to overturn former President Jair Bolsonaro's loss in the October election. The prosecutors in the recently formed group to combat anti-democratic acts...
Up a Storm on
Jan 14, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Records Show Bolsonaro Charged Up a Storm on Corporate Card
Newly released credit card bills for Brazil's ex-leader show he really seems to love ice cream
- While Jair Bolsonaro is living his new best life in the Sunshine State, news has emerged that shows he appears to have lived his old best life on the Brazilian government's dime. His official credit card expenditures while he was president of the South American nation were released Friday,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
Mick Jagger: My Kids Don't Need $500M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.