Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
in Fight Over
Sep 29, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Organization Counts Toll in Fight Over Environment
An activist has been killed every 2 days over the past decade, Global Witness says
- An international organization has counted the number of people who have been slain over the past 10 years while trying to keep mining, drilling for oil, or logging from taking place on their lands: 1,700. That's an average of one activist killed every two days, Global Witness says....
Bar Patron Slain
Sep 26, 2022 6:21 PM CDT
Bar Patron Slain After Identifying Presidential Pick
Concern about political violence in Brazil is high
- Brazilian police said on Monday that a 39-year-old supporter of former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva was stabbed to death in a bar amid rising concern about political violence in a tense presidential campaign. The newspaper O Povo reported that witnesses told police a man entered a bar...
Man Survives 11 Days at Sea
in Floating Freezer: Report
Sep 6, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Man Survives 11 Days at Sea in Floating Freezer: Report
'It was a miracle,' says Brazilian fisherman Romualdo Macedo Rodrigues
- After his boat sank, a Brazilian fisherman reportedly survived 11 days in the shark-infested Atlantic Ocean by taking refuge inside a floating freezer. Romualdo Macedo Rodrigues departed on what was supposed to be a three-day fishing trip in early August. But off the coast of northern Brazil, his 23-foot-long wooden...
'Man of the Hole' Dies,
Rendering a Tribe Extinct
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 3, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
'Man of the Hole' Dies, Rendering a Tribe Extinct
Last surviving member of Indigenous tribe in Brazil had been tracked for decades
- No one will be bothering the "Man of the Hole" anymore. Officials from Funai, Brazil's Indigenous protection agency, say the last surviving member of a native tribe who'd been tracked for years has died, leaving his tribe officially extinct, reports the BBC . The body of the man,...
Aug 23, 2022 1:55 PM CDT
An Emperor's Heart Gets Hero's Welcome in Brazil
Nation is honoring the late Dom Pedro I
- To mark the bicentennial of its independence from Portugal, Brazil is welcoming a special guest: Emperor Pedro I, or part of him, at least. Per the BBC, the former emperor’s embalmed heart arrived Monday on a Brazilian air force plane under fighter escort. Brazil’s foreign ministry said the...
Mom in $140M
Aug 12, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
Cops: Woman Scammed Own Mom in $140M Psychic Ruse
Sabine Boghici, 48, and accomplices are accused of conning her 82-year-old mother for years
- A Brazilian woman was arrested this week and accused of recruiting a group of fake psychics to scam her own 82-year-old mother out of about $140 million in cash, artwork, and jewelry, reports the
. The alleged scheme began in January 2020, when Genevieve Boghici, the wealthy widow of...
Thousands Demand Return
to Rule of Law in Brazil
Aug 11, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Thousands Demand Return to Rule of Law in Brazil
Worried that Bolsonaro is following Trump's lead, masses support pro-democracy manifestos
- Thousands of Brazilians flocked to a law school Thursday in defense of the nation's democratic institutions, an event that echoed a gathering nearly 45 years ago when citizens joined together at the same site to denounce a brutal military dictatorship. In 1977, the masses poured into the University of...
in 2 Days
Jul 30, 2022 3:48 PM CDT
Spain Reports 2 Monkeypox Fatalities in 2 Days
Brazil has reported its first fatality, while WHO official warns of more ahead
- Spain on Saturday reported a second death in as many days from monkeypox. These are believed to be the first confirmed fatalities from the disease in Europe since its recent spread beyond Africa. Both fatalities were young men, the health ministry said, after reporting Spain's first death on Friday,...
Murdered Indigenous Expert
Chose a Risky Path
Jun 19, 2022 10:29 AM CDT
Murdered Indigenous Expert Chose a Risky Path
Bruno Pereira 'gave his life for us,' says one Indigenous official in Brazil
- Before disappearing in Brazil’s Amazon rainforest , Bruno Pereira was laying the groundwork for a mammoth undertaking: a 217-mile trail marking the southwestern border of the Javari Valley Indigenous territory, an area the size of Portugal. The purpose of the trail is to prevent cattle farmers from encroaching on Javari...
Remains as Those
of British Journalist
Jun 17, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Brazil Identifies Remains as Those of British Journalist
Suspect admitted shooting two men who disappeared, police say
: Brazilian authorities confirmed Friday that remains found in the Amazon were those of British journalist Dom Phillips. A search for Phillips, 57, and Bruno Pereira, 41, a Brazilian indigenous expert, had been conducted for more than a week. A suspect who admitted shooting the men led investigators to the...
Alleged Russian Spy Tried
to Infiltrate War Crimes Court
Jun 17, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
Alleged Russian Spy Tried to Infiltrate War Crimes Court
Dutch authorities say man posed as Brazilian
- Dutch authorities say they've stopped a Russian spy from infiltrating the International Criminal Court, which is investigating alleged Russian war crimes in Ukraine and Georgia. The suspected operative of Russia's GRU military intelligence service posed as a 33-year-old Brazilian named Viktor Muller Ferreira, who'd successfully applied for...
Missing Man's Family
Jun 15, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
Brazil Apologizes for Misinforming Missing Man's Family
Bodies were not found, ambassador says
Brazilian authorities on Tuesday said the family of a British journalist who went missing in the Amazon had been incorrectly informed that two bodies, likely the journalist and the Indigenous expert who vanished along with him, had been found. "We are deeply sorry the Embassy passed on to...
Belongings of Men
Missing in the Amazon
Jun 13, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Belongings of Men Missing in the Amazon Found Underwater
The discovery comes a day after police found blood in a boat
- Brazil's search for an Indigenous expert and a journalist who disappeared in a restive area of the Amazon a week ago advanced with the discovery of a backpack, laptop, and other personal belongings of the men submerged in a river, the AP reports. The items were found Sunday afternoon,...
In Brazil, a Troubling Clue
Emerges Over Missing Duo
Jun 10, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
In Brazil, a Troubling Clue Emerges Over Missing Duo
Blood is found on boat of fisherman who was one of the last to see journalist, guide alive
- Blood has been found in the search for a British journalist and his indigenous guide who vanished Sunday in Brazil's remote Amazon rainforest. The blood, to be tested to determine whether it is human or animal, was found on the boat of fisherman Amarildo da Costa, known locally as...
Vanish in Amazon
Jun 7, 2022 1:40 AM CDT
British Journalist, Indigenous Expert Vanish in Amazon
Many are very concerned for their well-being
- A British journalist and one of Brazil's former Indigenous Affairs officials have gone missing in a remote part of the Amazon rainforest, leading to serious fears for their safety. Brazil-based journalist Dom Phillips, who is working on a book about the environment, was traveling with Bruno Araújo Pereira,...
Floods Kill 91,
With 26 More
May 30, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Floods Kill 91, With 26 More Missing
Thousands have been displaced in Brazil, and fear of landslides remains
- Authorities in northeastern Brazil's Pernambuco state said Monday that 91 deaths have been confirmed from flooding over the weekend, with more two dozen people still missing. Hundreds of state and federal rescue workers were searching for 26 people currently unaccounted for, according to the official statement. President Jair Bolsonaro...
Mentally Ill Man
in Police Car
May 29, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Mentally Ill Man Asphyxiated in Police Car
Officers in Brazil 'turned a car into a gas chamber,' activist says
- Anger and protests in Brazil have followed the death of a Black man who was gassed in police custody. After a traffic stop, officers in the city of Umbaúba put the man in the back of a police car, then set off a gas grenade, the
'Better Keep His Mouth
Shut,' Says Bolsonaro
May 5, 2022 1:18 AM CDT
Leonardo DiCaprio 'Better Keep His Mouth Shut,' Says Bolsonaro
Brazil president is not happy with actor's attempts to get out the vote
- Leonardo DiCaprio is in a feud, not with another celebrity, but with Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro. Following a series of recent tweets in which DiCaprio urged Brazilians to get out and vote in this October's elections to ensure the Amazon rainforest is protected, Bolsonaro on Tuesday hit back at...
World Record for Slackline Walk
Was 'Total Serendipity Moment'
May 4, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
World Record for Slackline Walk Was 'Total Serendipity Moment'
Rafael Zugno Bridi crossed 59-foot line between 2 hot-air balloons 1.2 miles above Brazil
- Guinness World Records has officially recognized the highest slackline walk, at more than twice the height of the world's tallest building. Brazilian daredevil Rafael Zugno Bridi claimed the record after crossing a 59-foot slackline suspended between two hot-air balloons some 6,236 feet, or nearly 1.2 miles, above...
This Guy Has Spent
84 Years at the (Same) Office
May 3, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
This Guy Has Spent 84 Years at the (Same) Office
Centenarian Walter Orthmann has broken a Guinness World Record
- A man in Brazil has just broken his own Guinness World Record for the longest stint at one company. And after 84 years, Walter Orthmann is still excited to get up and go to the office. He's a 100-year-old sales manager at textile company ReneauxView, which was called Industrias...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Marjorie Taylor Greene's 27-Year Marriage Is Ending
Ian Leaves Trail of Devastation
MacKenzie Scott Quietly Files for Divorce
Queen's 2-Word Cause of Death Is Released
Police Not Sure if Slain Daughter Was Abducted First
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.