Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Older and About to
Become an Ex?
Think Health Insurance
Sep 10, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Older and About to Become an Ex? Think Health Insurance
If you're about to divorce in your 50s, 60s, or older, think ahead so you're not left in the lurch
- More than 1 in 3 people who divorce in the United States are age 50 or older, and 1 in 4 are 65 or older, according to a 2022 analysis published in the
Journals of Gerontology
. Divorcing as you near retirement—or after you've retired—comes with considerations: Are...
Medicare Will Target These
10 Drugs for Price Cuts
Aug 29, 2023 8:05 AM CDT
Medicare Will Target These 10 Drugs for Price Cuts
Biden administration to negotiate 'lowest maximum fair price' for Jardiance, Eliquis, others
- The popular diabetes treatment Jardiance and the blood thinner Eliquis are among the first drugs that will be targeted for price negotiations in an effort to cut Medicare costs, reports the AP . President Biden's administration on Tuesday released a list of 10 drugs for which the federal government will...
Turns Out You're
Footing the Bill for
Jan 23, 2022 3:25 PM CST
Turns Out You're Footing the Bill for Americans' Ivermectin
Study of claims show Medicare is covering it
- If you're in the camp that believes ivermectin is a wonderful drug ... for ailments
than COVID, a new
article is likely to raise your ire. It flags a January study in the
Journal of the American Medical Association
that looked at just who is paying for...
Medicare Makes Big Decision
on New Alzheimer's Drug
Jan 11, 2022 8:10 PM CST
Medicare Makes Big Decision on New Alzheimer's Drug
For now, it will limit Aduhelm coverage to those involved in a clinical trial
- Medicare said Tuesday it will limit coverage of a $28,000-a-year Alzheimer’s drug whose benefits have been widely questioned , a major development in the nation’s tug-of-war over the fair value of new medicines that offer tantalizing possibilities but come with prohibitive prices. The initial determination from the Centers...
Maker Cuts Price
of Alzheimer's Drug
Dec 20, 2021 5:25 PM CST
Maker Cuts Price of Alzheimer's Drug in Half
The medication wasn't catching on at more than $50K per year, Biogen says
- Biogen is slashing the price of its Alzheimer's treatment in half, months after it debuted to widespread criticism over an initial cost that could reach $56,000 annually. The drugmaker said Monday that it will cut the wholesale acquisition cost of the drug by about 50% next month. That...
FDA Making a Big Shift
on Hearing Aids
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
FDA Making a Big Shift on Hearing Aids
Plan would make them available over the counter at a cheaper price
- Nearly five years after it was urged to make affordable hearing aids available over the counter, the FDA is taking a big step toward that goal. In a plan released Tuesday , the agency says it will create a new category of hearing aids that will be made available online and...
Social Security Depletion
Date Is Now a Year Closer
Aug 31, 2021 6:16 PM CDT
Social Security Depletion Date Is Now a Year Closer
Feds say pandemic depleted trust funds
- The pandemic has pushed Social Security closer to precarious financial territory, the government warned in a report released Tuesday. The annual report from the Social Security and Medicare trustees said that unless Congress takes action, Social Security will no longer be able to pay full benefits by 2034, CNN reports....
Cost of Alzheimer's Drug Could
Push Medicare to the Brink
Jun 11, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Cost of Alzheimer's Drug Could Push Medicare to the Brink
Biogen product would nearly double program's medication budget, though it might not work
- The Food and Drug Administration's approval of a new drug to treat Alzheimer's disease could have enormous implications not just for patients, but for Medicare—even pushing the program toward collapse. FDA approval historically has meant Medicare will cover the cost of the medication, but with Biogen's...
Feds Make Arrests in
COVID Medicare Scams
May 26, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Feds Make Arrests in COVID Medicare Scams
Fraudsters exploited virus fears to bill tens of millions in bogus claims
- The Justice Department announced charges Wednesday against more than a dozen people from Florida to California in a series of Medicare scams that exploited coronavirus fears to bill tens of millions of dollars in bogus claims. A common hook involved a pandemic variant of identity theft: Fraudsters allegedly offered COVID-19...
Feb 9, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Look Out: Here Comes Trump's New Budget Plan
The AP says it relies on 'rosy' projections
- Confronted with trillion-dollar-plus deficits for as far as the eye can see, President Trump is offering a budget plan that rehashes previously rejected spending cuts while leaving Social Security and Medicare benefits untouched. Trump’s fiscal 2021 budget plan, expected to be released Monday, isn’t likely to generate a...
Trump Suggests He's
Open to Entitlement Cuts
Jan 22, 2020 2:34 PM CST
Trump Suggests He's Open to Entitlement Cuts
'At some point' they will be on his plate, he says in CNBC interview
- Entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare could potentially get cut under President Trump, or so he suggested at the very end of a CNBC interview from Davos on Wednesday. In what the
describes as a "new openness" to the idea—he pledged to protect entitlements...
5 Key Takeaways
From Trump's Budget
Mar 12, 2019 8:37 AM CDT
5 Key Takeaways From Trump's Budget
Among them: He proposes cuts to Medicare as Democrats move in the opposite direction
- President Trump proposed a $4.75 trillion budget on Monday, the largest one in history. Here are five takeaways from early coverage:
First key point:
New York Times
notes, this presidential budget is typical in that it's more of a political document than something that will affect
Medicare Expands Access to
In-Home Support for Seniors
Nov 9, 2018 4:47 PM CST
Medicare Expands Access to In-Home Support for Seniors
Services will be offered in more than 20 states starting next year
- Medicare is experimenting with a new direction in health care. Starting next year, seniors in many states will be able to get additional services, such as help with chores and respite for caregivers, through private Medicare Advantage insurance plans, the AP reports. There's a growing recognition that such practical...
This $69B Deal May Reshape
Health Care as We Know It
Oct 10, 2018 11:15 AM CDT
This $69B Deal May Reshape Health Care as We Know It
Proposed CVS-Aetna merger is approved by the DOJ
- On Wednesday, CVS all but "cemented the deal" to buy Aetna for $69 billion, by scoring the Justice Department's preliminary approval of the deal, reports CNBC . With that green light comes a condition: that Aetna complete its plan to unload its Medicare Part D prescription drug plan business,...
Group Puts Huge Price Tag on
Sanders' Plan. He Fires Back
Jul 30, 2018 11:42 AM CDT
Group Puts Huge Price Tag on Sanders' Plan. He Fires Back
Libertarian group says his 'Medicare for All' proposal would cost $32 trillion
- Bernie Sanders' "Medicare for all" plan would increase government health care spending by $32.6 trillion over 10 years, according to a study by a university-based libertarian policy center. The latest plan from the Vermont independent would require historic tax increases as government replaces what employers and consumers now...
Some States Will Be
Big Winners Under
ObamaCare Repeal Bill
Sep 22, 2017 5:32 AM CDT
Some States Will Be Big Winners Under ObamaCare Repeal Bill
But there will be 31 losers, according to federal report
- There will be some big winners and plenty of losers under the latest effort at ObamaCare repeal, according to a Trump administration internal report. The federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services predicts that reallocation of funding in the bill from Republican Sens. Bill Cassidy and Lindsey Graham will cause...
Bernie Sanders Wants to Give
You a 'Universal Medicare' Card
Sep 13, 2017 9:36 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Wants to Give You a 'Universal Medicare' Card
Senator unveils plan to provide insurance for everyone through Medicare
- Bernie Sanders rolled out his vision to overhaul the health care system on Wednesday, one in which everybody would get their insurance from the government through Medicare instead of through their jobs or a private insurer. Sanders calls it the Medicare for All Act of 2017, but you'll also...
Report: Abuse at
Nursing Homes Often
Unknown to Police
Aug 29, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Report: Abuse at Nursing Homes Often Unknown to Police
28% of incidents go unreported: government audit
- More than 1 in 4 cases of possible sexual and physical abuse against nursing home patients apparently went unreported to police, says a government audit that faults Medicare for failing to enforce a federal law requiring immediate notification. The Health and Human Services inspector general's office issued an "...
Woman Stuck in Alaska After
Terminal Cancer Diagnosis
Jul 26, 2017 10:48 AM CDT
Woman Stuck in Alaska After Terminal Cancer Diagnosis
- A couple who left on a two-week "trip of a lifetime" to see mountains and glaciers in Alaska in late April is now stuck in a hospital in Anchorage. Nancy and Paul Greathouse, who married later in life, had both recently retired after working for 40 years. This was...
Social Security Recipients
May Get Biggest Raise in Years
Jul 14, 2017 7:13 AM CDT
Social Security Recipients May Get Biggest Raise in Years
It's expected to only be about 2.2% (or $28 a month, on average), but still
- Millions of Americans who rely on Social Security can expect to see their biggest pay increase in years in January, per projections released Thursday by the program's trustees, the AP reports. The increase is projected to be just 2.2%, or about $28 a month for the average recipient....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.