Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As NATO Summit Wraps Up,
'Ukrainian Outrage' Softens
Jul 12, 2023 8:43 AM CDT
As NATO Summit Wraps Up, 'Ukrainian Outrage' Softens
First meeting of NATO-Ukraine Council took place
- The NATO summit in Lithuania wraps up Wednesday, and President Biden will spend much of it in the spotlight: He's set to meet with Volodymyr Zelensky prior to delivering a keynote speech. While Zelensky on Tuesday slammed NATO's failure to share a timetable for Ukraine joining the alliance...
'Absurd' NATO Decision
Jul 11, 2023 2:36 PM CDT
Zelensky Slams 'Absurd' NATO Decision
Alliance won't give timeline on Ukraine's membership
- NATO leaders agreed Tuesday to allow Ukraine to join "when allies agree and conditions are met," hours after President Volodymyr Zelensky blasted the organization's failure to set a timetable for his country as "absurd." "We reaffirmed Ukraine will become a member of NATO and...
Turkey Reverses Course,
Will Let Sweden Join NATO
Jul 10, 2023 3:04 PM CDT
Turkey Reverses Course, Will Let Sweden Join NATO
Turkish President Erdogan now wants his nation to be allowed to join the EU
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has relented and agreed to allow Sweden join NATO. NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg made the announcement after talks with Erdogan and Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson on the eve of a NATO summit in Lithuania, per the AP . Sweden's NATO accession has been held...
Not Ready to
Jul 10, 2023 12:56 AM CDT
Biden: Ukraine Not Ready to Join NATO
President says Russia's war against the country must end first
- President Biden shut down the idea of Ukraine joining NATO during a sit-down with CNN that aired Sunday, saying the war with Russia must first end. "I don't think there is unanimity in NATO about whether or not to bring Ukraine into the NATO family now, at this...
NATO May Grow by One,
but Only if Turkey Budges
Jul 6, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
NATO May Grow by One, but Only if Turkey Budges
Nation continues to oppose the addition of Sweden
- Finland became the 31st member of NATO earlier this year. Neighbor Sweden's hopes of becoming the 32nd this month continue to run into a wall of opposition otherwise known as Turkey. All members of the alliance must agree to any new members, explains the
Wall Street Journal
, and Sweden'...
NATO Is Sending
700 More Troops
May 30, 2023 6:02 PM CDT
NATO Is Sending 700 More Troops to Kosovo
30 peacekeepers were injured in unrest Monday
- NATO will send 700 more troops to northern Kosovo to help quell violent protests after clashes with ethnic Serbs there left 30 international soldiers wounded, the alliance announced Tuesday. The latest violence in the region has stirred fear of a renewal of the 1998-99 conflict in Kosovo that claimed more...
Finland Deals Russia a Big Blow
Apr 4, 2023 9:33 AM CDT
Finland Deals Russia a Big Blow
Nordic country joins NATO, more than doubling
- Russia will think twice before invading neighboring Finland as the latter country officially joined "the world’s biggest security alliance" on Tuesday, NATO's 74th birthday, per the AP . Finland became the 31st NATO member state when Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto handed an official accession document to US Secretary...
Holdout Turkey Approves
Finland Joining NATO
Mar 30, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
Holdout Turkey Approves Finland Joining NATO
Sweden, which applied at the same time, is still waiting
- Turkey on Thursday endorsed Finland's pending membership in NATO on a parliamentary vote, removing the last obstacle to the security alliance's expansion. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had come out in support of the move, but he has not yet said Sweden—which applied to NATO on the same...
China Floats a Peace Plan
Feb 24, 2023 2:45 PM CST
China Floats a Peace Plan
But NATO questions credibility of a government growing closer to Russia
- Although Ukraine didn't rule it out, NATO and EU leaders were dismissive of a 12-point peace proposal issued Friday by China, saying its increasing ties to Russia disqualify the Beijing government from playing mediator. "China doesn't have much credibility," said NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, "because...
They Want to Join NATO
Together. One May Go Solo
Feb 18, 2023 10:45 AM CST
They Want to Join NATO Together. One May Go Solo
Finnish defense minister says his nation may join alone if Turkey keeps holding up Sweden
- Finland's defense minister said Saturday that his country will join NATO without waiting for Sweden if its Nordic neighbor's accession is held up by the Turkish government. Mikko Savola told the AP on Saturday that Finland would prefer that the two countries join the alliance together, but it...
Putin Hints at First-Strike
Policy, Cites 'US Counterparts'
Dec 9, 2022 4:08 PM CST
Putin Hints at First-Strike Policy, Cites 'US Counterparts'
Russian president doesn't say it, but analysts hear veiled nuclear threat
- Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday that Moscow could adopt what he described as a US concept of using preemptive military strikes, noting it has the weapons to do the job, in a blunt statement amid rising Russia-NATO tensions over Ukraine. "We are just thinking about it. They weren'...
Report: US Speeds Up
Upgrade of Nuclear
Arsenal in Europe
Oct 27, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Report: US Speeds Up Upgrade of Nuclear Arsenal in Europe
But there's no connection to Ukraine war, Pentagon says
- With nuclear tensions at their highest since the end of the Cold War, the US has stepped up plans to upgrade the arsenal of nuclear weapons it maintains at NATO military bases in Europe, Politico reports, citing a diplomatic cable and "two people familiar with the issue." According...
Ukraine Is Submitting
Fast-Track NATO Application
Sep 30, 2022 11:14 AM CDT
Ukraine Is Submitting Fast-Track NATO Application
'De facto, we have already proven compatibility with alliance standards'
- Ukraine’s president says his country is submitting an "accelerated" application to join the NATO military alliance. President Volodymyr Zelensky's statement Friday came shortly after Russian President Vladimir Putin signed treaties to annex occupied areas of Ukraine that he warned Russia would protect using "all available means,...
Voting 95-1, Senate Backs
Sweden, Finland Joining NATO
Aug 3, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Voting 95-1, Senate Backs Sweden, Finland Joining NATO
McConnell had lobbied Republicans, saying a larger alliance will make US safer
- Russian aggression helped bring Republicans and Democrats together on Wednesday, as the Senate voted 95-1 to endorse letting Finland and Sweden join NATO. A two-thirds vote would have been sufficient, but Minority Leader Mitch McConnell had been lobbying his members, the
New York Times
reports. Since Russia invaded Ukraine, McConnell...
Hawley to Vote
Aug 1, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
Hawley to Vote Against Letting Sweden, Finland Into NATO
GOP senator argues US should focus less on Europe, more on China
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said last week that the US "would be fortunate to have two new treaty allies as impressive and capable as Finland and Sweden." On Monday, one of his Republican colleagues said he won't support the two countries joining NATO, per the Hill...
First 2 Countries Ratify
Finland, Sweden NATO Bids
Jul 6, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
First 2 Countries Ratify Finland, Sweden NATO Bids
Canada, Denmark legislatures approved historic move
- All 30 NATO members have formally signed off on Sweden and Finland's historic bid to join the alliance , and the next step is expected to be a time-consuming one—but not in Canada. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the country has become the first to ratify accession protocols for...
Russia, China Slam NATO
Over Summit Remarks
Jun 30, 2022 4:29 AM CDT
Russia, China Slam NATO Over Summit Remarks
Alliance declared Russia 'direct threat'
- NATO faced rebukes from Moscow and Beijing on Thursday after it declared Russia a "direct threat" and said China posed "serious challenges" to global stability. The Western military alliance was wrapping up a summit in Madrid, where it issued a stark warning that the world has been plunged...
NATO to Make Its Biggest
Expansion in Decades
Jun 29, 2022 9:05 AM CDT
NATO to Make Its Biggest Expansion in Decades
Finland and Sweden are formally invited to join
- Sweden and Finland are one big step closer to joining NATO, which on Wednesday formalized its invitation to the two countries. The next step is for the 30 member states' parliaments and legislatures to ratify the decision, which is expected to move forward quickly, though the full process could take...
At NATO Summit, a Biting
Description of Russia
Jun 29, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
At NATO Summit, a Biting Description of Russia
Russia called 'most significant and direct threat'
- NATO declared Russia the "most significant and direct threat" to its members’ peace and security, as the military alliance met Wednesday to confront what NATO’s chief called the biggest security crisis since World War II. The leaders are also set to publish NATO’s new Strategic Concept, its...
Turkey Drops Objection to
Finland, Sweden Joining NATO
Jun 28, 2022 9:28 PM CDT
Turkey Drops Objection to Finland, Sweden Joining NATO
Alliance leader hails 'historic decision'
: Turkey agreed Tuesday to lift its opposition to Sweden and Finland joining NATO, ending an impasse that had clouded a leaders’ summit opening in Madrid amid Europe’s worst security crisis in decades, triggered by the war in Ukraine. After urgent top-level talks with leaders of the three countries,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.