Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Deaths Mount,
Sep 9, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
As Deaths Mount, Climbing Everest Gets Pricier
Nepal plans to hike the cost of climbing permits
- Nepal is upping the price of its Everest climbing permits—an administrative detail that might not catch much attention, were it not for the size of the increase and the reason behind it. The cost of the permit will jump 36% for foreigners in 2025, from $11,000 to $15,...
She Tried the Big 14 Last
Year and Failed. Now, Success
Jul 28, 2023 7:28 AM CDT
She Tried the Big 14 Last Year and Failed. Now, Success
Kristin Harila, Tenjen Sherpa summit at K2, scale world's highest mountains in record 92 days
- A Norwegian woman mountain climber and her Nepali Sherpa guide have set a new record by scaling the world's 14 highest peaks in 92 days, a Pakistani mountaineering official said. On Thursday, Kristin Harila and Tenjen Sherpa summited K2 on the Chinese-Pakistani border in the Karakorum Range—considered to...
Plans to Move Everest
Base Camp Dropped
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 3, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Plans to Move Everest Base Camp Dropped
Sherpas not supportive of last year's proposal
- Looks like Everest base camp is staying where it is. Nearly a year after Nepal's tourism ministry announced plans to move it lower down the mountain due to warming temperatures causing the glacier it currently sits on to melt, the plan has been put aside, the BBC reports. Sherpas...
This Sherpa Has Done
the Exceptional on Everest
May 24, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
This Sherpa Has Done the Exceptional on Everest
Kami Rita reached the summit a record 28th time
- Veteran Sherpa guide Kami Rita scaled Mount Everest for the 28th time Tuesday, beating his own record less than a week after setting it, as two guides compete with each other for the title of most climbs of the world's highest peak. Kami Rita, considered one of the greatest...
Sherpa Guide Ascends Everest
for 26th Time, Tying Record
May 15, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Sherpa Guide Ascends Everest for 26th Time, Tying Record
Pasang Dawa Sherpa first climbed peak in 1998
- A Sherpa guide on Sunday matched the record for most ascents of Mount Everest when he finished climbing the world's tallest mountain for the 26th time. Pasang Dawa Sherpa summited with a Hungarian climber, NPR reports. The 46-year-old made his first successful ascent in 1998 and has climbed Everest...
Dies on Everest
May 2, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
American Climber Dies on Everest
Jonathan Sugarman, 69, is the first foreign death on the peak this year
- An American climber died on Mount Everest on Monday, and the
identifies him as 69-year-old Jonathan Sugarman, a doctor based in Seattle. Sugarman's death was not the result of a fall, though details were scant. "He was feeling unwell and passed away at Camp II,"...
Climbers Buried Under
Falling Ice Masses on Everest
Apr 13, 2023 10:53 AM CDT
Climbers Buried Under Falling Ice Masses on Everest
The 3 Sherpas were part of the team prepping the route from Camp 2 to the summit
- In the first accident of the climbing season on Mount Everest, three Sherpa climbers were missing and presumed dead Wednesday after they were buried under snow and ice just above base camp. While the AP initially reported they fell into a deep crevasse on Wednesday morning as they were moving...
Vindication for Climber Banned
for Faking Everest Summit
Jun 5, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Vindication for Climber Banned for Faking Everest Summit
One week after his ban expired, Narender Singh Yadav made it to the top
An Indian man accused of faking a summit of Everest in 2016 was handed a six-year ban on climbing in Nepal—and just days after its expiration on May 20, he made it to the top of Everest, reports the AFP . Narender Singh Yadav made sure the feat was...
Sherpa Guide Nonchalantly
Breaks Everest Record
May 8, 2022 10:02 AM CDT
Sherpa Guide Nonchalantly Breaks Everest Record
Kami Rita scales mountain for 26th time while setting ropes for foreign climbers
- An experienced Nepalese Sherpa guide has scaled Mount Everest for the 26th time, breaking his own record for the most climbs of the world's highest peak. Kami Rita reached the 29,032-foot summit on Saturday evening, leading a group of Sherpa climbers who fixed ropes along the route so...
All-Black Team of
to Conquer Everest
Feb 22, 2022 3:48 PM CST
All-Black Team of Mountaineers Plans to Conquer Everest
Only one Black American has ever made it to the summit
- Since Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay conquered Mount Everest in 1953, more than 5,000 other people have made it to the top of the world's highest peak—but only around 10 of them were black and just one was a Black American. A group of US climbers...
He's Trying to Do the
Unthinkable on Everest
Feb 12, 2022 3:20 PM CST
He's Trying to Do the Unthinkable on Everest
Jost Kobusch is climbing it alone, in winter, without supplemental oxygen
- "I think his chances are 50-50." That would be, 50% chance of doing something no one on the planet has done before, and 50% chance of not achieving it—or even dying. Jost Kobusch is on Mount Everest right now. Alone. There, he is attempting to be the...
Everest Ice: 2K Years
to Form, 25 to Melt
Feb 4, 2022 10:52 AM CST
Everest Ice: 2K Years to Form, 25 to Melt
Study documents rapid retreat of glacier
- The ice atop Mount Everest took roughly 2,000 years to form and about 25 years to melt, according to a new study, which suggests that even one of the highest glaciers on the planet is retreating as a result of climate change. Researchers traveled to the highest glacier on...
Tech CEO, Everest Guide
Settle Summit Dispute
Jan 2, 2022 3:53 PM CST
Tech CEO, Everest Guide Settle Summit Dispute
Guide called off climb after spotting massive ice block
- A lawsuit filed against a veteran mountaineering guide last year after a failed attempt to summit Mount Everest in September 2019 has been settled. The guide, Garrett Madison, called off the climb when a serac—a massive block of glacial ice—was spotted hanging over the route to the top,...
of Everest Has
May 31, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Blind Conqueror of Everest Has Bigger Plans
China's Zhang Hong is going for the 'grand slam' of climbing
- A Chinese climber who became the first blind Asian to scale Mount Everest says he aims to climb the highest peaks on all seven continents and then travel to the North and South Poles, per the AP . Zhang Hong, 44, is also the third blind climber internationally to reach the...
On Mount Everest,
a World Record Twofer
May 29, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
On Mount Everest, a World Record Twofer
75-year-old becomes oldest American to climb peak; HK climber nabs fastest ascent by woman
- Two new climbers made the Mount Everest record books over the past week, including a man who now holds the title of oldest American ever to ascend the 29,032-foot peak. Per Reuters and the
, 75-year-old Arthur Muir is that man, completing his ascent on Sunday and taking...
US, Swiss Climbers
Die on Everest
May 13, 2021 4:17 AM CDT
US, Swiss Climbers Die on Everest
They are first to die on mountain since 2019
- Two foreign climbers have become the first to die on Mount Everest since 2019. Expedition organizers say Puwel Lui, a 55-year-old American national, reached the Hillary Step outcrop below the summit but had to turn back due to snow blindness and exhaustion, AFP reports. He was helped back to Camp...
China to Draw
Line on Everest
May 10, 2021 7:30 PM CDT
China to Draw Line on Everest
Government wants its climbers to keep their distance from Nepal's during outbreak
- COVID-19 restrictions have reached the top of the world. After an increase in coronavirus cases on Mount Everest, China plans a "line of separation" at the summit to keep climbers from its side from coming into close contact with climbers from Nepal, the BBC reports. Everest is on the...
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest
Record. Now, Yet Again
May 8, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
In 2019, Sherpa Broke Everest Record. Now, Yet Again
Kami Rita Sherpa has climbed world's tallest mountain 25 times
- For the past 27 years, Kami Rita Sherpa has been ascending and descending Mount Everest, part of expedition teams bent on conquering the mountain. In 2019, the Nepalese man set a world record for the most summits of the world's tallest mountain, making it to the top and back...
At Everest Base Camp,
May 5, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
At Everest Base Camp, 'Coughing Everywhere'
Some think Nepal is hiding real numbers of coronavirus cases to keep mountain open
- This is the peak time of year to climb Mount Everest, before monsoon season hits. But the
notes 2021's climbing season may now be up in the air, as a COVID outbreak at the base camp in Nepal has led to "many" infections in a country already...
Everest Climber Tests Positive
Apr 23, 2021 4:51 AM CDT
Everest Climber Tests Positive
Mountain guide says mass COVID-19 testing is urgently needed
- The coronavirus has conquered the world's highest mountain. A Norwegian climber became the first to be tested for COVID-19 in Mount Everest base camp and was flown by helicopter to Kathmandu, where he was hospitalized. Erlend Ness tells the AP that he tested positive on April 15. He says...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.