Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
NYPD: This Couple Tried to
Make Off With a Basquiat
May 26, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
NYPD: This Couple Tried to Make Off With a Basquiat
But police say they left gallery without the painting
- It was an audacious and nearly successful move: Police on Wednesday said a man and woman entered a Manhattan gallery on May 14, took a $45,000 painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat from the wall, and began to walk out. They were stopped before making it out of Taglialatella Galleries, however....
Yorkie Stolen 11 Years Ago
Reunited With Owner
Apr 30, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Yorkie Stolen 11 Years Ago Reunited With Owner
Rex, found wandering streets of Stoughton, Mass., is now back home with his long-lost family
- It was a joyful, if unlikely, meeting Wednesday in Stoughton, Mass., as a woman from the Boston suburb of Quincy was reunited with the Yorkshire terrier that had been stolen outside of her home 11 years ago. Boston 25 notes that Rex, who used to live with his owner, Marzena...
2 Arrested in Theft of Sheriff's
Apr 19, 2022 5:52 PM CDT
2 Arrested in Theft of Sheriff's Speed-Warning Trailer
'It appears they were trying to get the batteries to sell the batteries,' sheriff says
- Two Alabama men have been arrested over an audacious, but extremely ill-advised, theft. The Russell County Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post Tuesday that Gabriel Mendoza Garcia and Steve Gerome Spann were arrested Monday for allegedly stealing a speed-warning trailer that belongs to the sheriff's office. "...
Man's Golf-Cart Scheme
Lands Him in Prison
Apr 13, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Man's Golf-Cart Scheme Lands Him in Prison
Authorities say Nathan Rodney Nelson admitted to stealing, trying to steal 84 carts
- A Florida man ran into financial trouble. The scheme he concocted to get out of it has landed him in prison for two years. Authorities say Nathan Rodney Nelson, 46, confessed to stealing or trying to steal 84 golf carts across a number of states starting in 2017. He pleaded...
Up in a Gift Bag
Apr 5, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Darwin's Stolen Notebooks Turn Up in a Gift Bag
'Happy Easter' reads a note signed by 'X'
- Charles Darwin’s notebooks, thought to have been stolen from Cambridge University's library nearly 22 years ago, have turned up in a bright pink gift bag with a note reading "Happy Easter." The package was discovered March 9 outside the librarian's office in a public area...
Man in Prison for Stealing
Syrup Now Told to Pay Millions
Apr 1, 2022 6:27 AM CDT
Man in Prison for Stealing Syrup Now Told to Pay Millions
Richard Vallieres was part of massive scheme that lifted one of country's hottest commodities
- In what may be the most Canadian of crimes yet—and the "stickiest," per the BBC —the nation's high court this week ruled that a "major player" in a scheme to steal a massive amount of maple syrup must pay a $7.2 million fine....
Cops: Banned Magician
Entering Casino Was
Just the Start
Mar 30, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Cops: Banned Magician Entering Casino Was Just the Start
Shaun Benward accused of scamming Pennsylvania casino—and not for the first time
- A self-described "magician" and "illusionist" with a long history of scamming casinos has allegedly struck again. Shaun Joseph Benward, 35, of Ocean Springs, Miss., is accused of working with 42-year-old Denielle Yvonne Derohan of Gulfport, Miss., to steal more than $10,000 from Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh, Pa....
Prosecutors: Ex-Yale Worker
Swiped $40M in Electronics
Mar 30, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Ex-Yale Worker Swiped $40M in Electronics
Jamie Petrone pleaded guilty to wire fraud, which could land her in jail for up to 20 years
- For nearly a decade, Jamie Petrone had the ability, in her role as an administrator for the Yale School of Medicine, to place orders for computers and other electronics for the school's Department of Emergency Medicine. Prosecutors say that routine administrative task turned into a yearslong scheme that brought...
Cash Used to
Pay for Exec's
Feb 23, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Scholarship Cash Used to Pay for Exec's Dating Sites: Prosecutors
Mary Wickersham is also accused of using pageant scholarship funds for maid services, meals out
- The Miss Florida Scholarship Program was designed to distribute funds to young women coming up through the beauty pageant world, but prosecutors say that for Mary Wickersham, an ex-executive director for the nonprofit, it was a personal piggy bank used to buy an array of goods and services for herself....
Cops: Man's Plan to Sell
$25K Dino Claw Went South
Feb 16, 2022 2:01 PM CST
Cops: Man's Plan to Sell $25K Dino Claw Went South
Police say Christopher Thomas swiped claw from one show vendor, tried to sell it to another
New York Daily News
calls theft "a crime as old as time"—an apt description for what happened two weeks ago at a gem and mineral show in Tucson, Ariz. KGUN reports that Eric Miller has been a vendor at the city's Gem, Mineral, and Fossil...
Cops: FSU Library Security
Chief Stole $500K in Comics
Feb 8, 2022 3:35 PM CST
Cops: FSU Library Security Chief Stole $500K in Comics
Todd Peak is accused of lifting rare titles from Strozier Library throughout the pandemic
- As head of security of Florida State University's Strozier Library, Todd Peak held one of four keys to access a $500,000 collection of prized science fiction, fantasy, horror, and comic book titles. He also apparently held little appreciation for his job, even after being deemed an essential worker...
Tinder Removes Man
Accused in Documentary
Feb 6, 2022 12:25 PM CST
Tinder Removes Man Accused in Documentary
'Elle' dives into the women featured in Netflix's 'The Tinder Swindler'
: No one can swipe right on Simon Leviev anymore, Tinder has decided. The subject of the Netflix documentary
The Tinder Swindler
has been taken off the platform, the
reports. You won't find him under "Shimon Hayut," either; Tinder said he's no longer active...
Train Derails Near Site
of LA Cargo Thefts
Jan 17, 2022 6:25 PM CST
Train Derails Near Site of LA Cargo Thefts
Union Pacific says 17 cars came off tracks
: Crews made railroad repairs in Los Angeles on Monday after a train derailed near the location where thieves have been raiding cargo containers, leaving the tracks littered with emptied boxes of packaged goods sent by retailers. It wasn't immediately clear if the derailment that happened Saturday was caused...
Cops Find Thousands
of Undelivered Amazon
Packages in Home
Jan 6, 2022 12:02 PM CST
Cops Find Thousands of Undelivered Amazon Packages in Home
2 delivery drivers have been arrested
- Police in Oklahoma say they have recovered thousands of stolen Amazon packages—and the suspects are delivery drivers, not Blackbeard-level porch pirates. In a Facebook post Wednesday, police in Luther, around 30 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, said three suspects were arrested after a home was searched and thousands of...
Jan 2, 2022 12:25 PM CST
Catalytic Converter Thefts Surge
States have passed legislation to toughen penalties
- In Lawrenceville, Virginia, a van owned by Poplar Mount Baptist Church was knocked out of commission for weeks after thieves cut the catalytic converter out of its exhaust system. Several months later, across town, a catalytic converter was ripped from a van owned by First Baptist Church. Similar crimes followed,...
Prosecutors: Amtrak Engineer
Ran 7-Year Chain Saw Scheme
Dec 14, 2021 4:42 PM CST
Prosecutors: Amtrak Engineer Ran 7-Year Chain Saw Scheme
Agents say Jose Rodriguez obtained the equipment for work purposes, sold it
- A New Jersey man who worked for Amtrak for nearly 15 years now faces up to 20 years in prison for what he admitted doing on the job. Federal officials say Jose Rodriguez of Brick, NJ, obtained equipment under the guise of needing it for projects he was doing as...
He Admits to a
Dozen Museum Heists,
Gets Day in Jail
Nov 24, 2021 1:35 PM CST
He Admits to a Dozen Museum Heists, Gets Day in Jail
Pennsylvania's Thomas Gavin helped trace stolen firearms after confession
- A Pennsylvania man will spend exactly one day in jail after admitting to stealing historic artifacts from more than a dozen museums in at least four states. Montgomery County's Thomas Gavin busted into museums along the US East Coast in the 1960s and '70s, taking mostly antique firearms,...
Cops: Wife Duped Husband for
Years, to the Tune of $600K
in case you missed it
Oct 31, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Cops: Wife Duped Husband for Years, to the Tune of $600K
Donna Marino's spouse didn't have Alzheimer's but she made him think he did to control his money
- For two decades, a Connecticut man says he let his wife handle virtually all of his finances for him, a move he apparently felt even more necessary once he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. At least, he thought he'd been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. East Haven police say that'...
Man Steals Reporter's Phone,
Has Face Seen by Millions
Oct 21, 2021 11:44 AM CDT
Man Steals Reporter's Phone, Has Face Seen by Millions
Egyptian man was arrested hours later
- A Cairo-area reporter had his phone grabbed from his hands by a thief on a motorbike, but it wasn't exactly the perfect crime—the reporter had been livestreaming a broadcast at the time, and the thief's face was seen by millions. The Youm7 news site says its reporter,...
Guy Who Led Cops
on Low-Speed Chase
Tells a Familiar Tale
Oct 19, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Guy Who Led Cops on Low-Speed Chase Tells a Familiar Tale
Man suspected of stealing tow truck said bomb would blow up if he stopped, a la 'Speed'
- A man in a tow truck led police on an extremely slow chase through the streets of San Diego on Monday, never hitting speeds over 10mph. The pursuit began around 7:45pm as police went after an allegedly stolen tow truck. Over the course of an hour, officers followed the...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.