Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news stories and cases of hacking on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 26, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Hunter Biden Is Suing Rudy Giuliani
President's son says Giuliani broke the law by hacking computer data
- First, Hunter Biden sued the IRS for breaching his privacy. Now he's going after Rudy Giuliani with the same accusation. The president's son, embroiled in serious legal trouble of his own, has filed suit against Guiliani and his former attorney for what he calls the "total annihilation"...
New Trouble for Ex-CIA Worker
in Biggest Classified Info Theft
Sep 14, 2023 12:22 AM CDT
New Trouble for Ex-CIA Worker in Biggest Classified Info Theft
Joshua Schulte now also convicted of possessing child sexual abuse images
- A former CIA software engineer already convicted in the biggest theft of classified information in CIA history was convicted Wednesday on charges of possessing child sexual abuse images, the AP reports. A jury returned its verdict in Manhattan federal court against Joshua Schulte after prosecutors presented proof that Schulte had...
Researchers Train AI to Steal
Data From Keyboard Clicks
Aug 12, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
Researchers Train AI to Steal Data From Keyboard Clicks
Randomized passwords could help protect against this new danger
- Debates over whether advancements in artificial intelligence are good or bad won't subside any time soon—and this new wrinkle won't help. British researchers have discovered that by mixing machine learning and recordings of typing, it's possible to train AI to steal passwords merely by hearing which...
Energy Department, Other
Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Jun 16, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Energy Department, Other Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Ransomware attack that appears to have exploited a computer flaw has affected other groups globally
- The Department of Energy and multiple other federal agencies are the victims of a ransomware attack that has already hit businesses in the UK and elsewhere around the globe. The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, or CISA, is lending support to those agencies "that have experienced intrusions,"...
Journo at Center
of FBI Search
on Fox Leak
May 26, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Report: Ex-Deadspin Journo at Center of FBI Search on Fox Leak
Per 'Tampa Bay Times,' agency searched home of Timothy Burke earlier this month in criminal probe
- In October, Kanye West sat down for a two-part interview with Fox News' Tucker Carlson, when the latter was still part of the network's prime-time lineup. Just days later, Vice's Motherboard published unseen clips from that interview, with even more eyebrow-raising snippets from the rapper, including antisemitic tropes...
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left
'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
May 10, 2023 7:44 AM CDT
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left 'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
UK man pleads guilty to scheme that targeted accounts of 130-plus names, including Musk, Biden
- A UK man arrested in Spain two summers ago and accused of hacking into the Twitter accounts of some big names—including the current owner of the platform himself—has pleaded guilty to the plot, which also involved the theft of a hefty amount of crypto. On Tuesday, the US...
Prince Harry Reveals
Murdoch Payout to William
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 29, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Prince Harry Reveals Murdoch Payout to William
Prince William received 'very large sum' from News Group over hacking: court documents
- Prince William received a "very large sum of money" from Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers to settle claims of phone hacking in 2020, according to court documents submitted by his brother. Prince Harry claims the British royal family entered into a secret agreement with "senior executives" at...
Austrian Citizens Aren't
Going to Like This News
Jan 26, 2023 7:26 AM CST
Austrian Citizens Aren't Going to Like This News
Police say hacker took personal data for nearly every person living there, put it up for sale
- If you live in Austria, chances are good that some of your personal information is now accessible to criminals. That's because police have revealed that a suspect they nabbed in November got their hands on data for pretty much every Austrian citizen and put it up for sale on...
Another 'Malicious Intruder'
Jan 20, 2023 4:30 PM CST
Another 'Malicious Intruder' Strikes T-Mobile
Company says 37M customers had data stolen in November breach, including addresses and DOB
- The US wireless carrier T-Mobile said Thursday that an unidentified malicious intruder breached its network in late November and stole data on 37 million customers, including addresses, phone numbers, and dates of birth. T-Mobile said in a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission that the breach was discovered...
Hacker: I've Got Source
Grand Theft Auto
Sep 20, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Hacker: I've Got Source Code for
Grand Theft Auto
Rockstar Games is 'extremely disappointed' on leaked footage of upcoming version of video game
- Video game producer Rockstar Games said Monday that early development footage from the next version of its popular title
Grand Theft Auto
was stolen in the hack of its network. Someone claiming to be the hacker, posting on Telegram, dumped 90 video clips from the theft online on Sunday and...
This Might Be the Biggest
Data Breach in History
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 9, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
Hackers claim they have records of 1B Chinese people, taken from a Shanghai police database
- Hackers claim to have obtained a trove of data on 1 billion Chinese people from a Shanghai police database in a leak that, if confirmed, could be one of the largest data breaches in history. In a post on the online hacking forum Breach Forums last week, someone using the...
He Single-Handedly Took
Down North Korea's Internet
Feb 12, 2022 5:20 PM CST
He Single-Handedly Took Down North Korea's Internet
'Wired' explains how a hacked hacker exacted revenge
- When a hacker gets hacked, how does he exact revenge? He hacks back, of course. A story at
recounts one such example of this truth that has a remarkable twist: It involves an American hacker who got ticked off at North Korea and single-handedly took down its internet. The...
Hack of News Corp
Is Blamed on China
Feb 4, 2022 1:06 PM CST
Hack of News Corp Is Blamed on China
Publisher of the 'Wall Street Journal' says journalist data was stolen
- News Corp, publisher of the
Wall Street Journal
, said Friday that hackers breached its system and stole data from journalists and other employees. A cybersecurity firm investigating the intrusion said Chinese intelligence-gathering was believed to be behind the operation, the AP reports. The news company, whose publications and businesses include...
Saudi Activist Sues
Aided UAE Hacking
Dec 10, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Saudi Activist Sues Americans Who Aided UAE Hacking
Loujain al-Hathloul, who led push for women to drive, was imprisoned and tortured
- Three former US intelligence and military officers have admitted in a separate case that they helped the United Arab Emirates with hacking operations. Now they're being sued by a Saudi women's rights activist who says the assistance of the three men led to her iPhone being hacked by...
Planned Parenthood Hack
Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Dec 2, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Planned Parenthood Hack Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Names, procedures of Los Angeles patients among information stolen
- One or more hackers acquired the names, birthdates, addresses, diagnoses, and procedures of some 400,000 patients of Planned Parenthood's Los Angeles branch in October, the organization revealed Wednesday. Someone accessed PPLA's network between Oct. 9 and Oct. 17, installed "malware/ransomware," and "exfiltrated" files, rep...
New Trump Site
Oct 22, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Hackers Invade New Trump Site Almost Immediately
Truth Social platform bombarded with fake accounts, pics of defecating pigs
- Donald Trump created Truth Social to "stand up to the tyranny of Big Tech," but the former president's new social media platform doesn't have the legs yet to stand up to hackers. Just a couple of hours after Trump on Wednesday introduced Truth Social and its...
Scammers Clone Exec's Voice,
Steal $35M From Bank
Oct 15, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
Scammers Clone Exec's Voice, Steal $35M From Bank
Dubai investigators say deepfake technology fooled bank manager
- The crimes of the future are here today, according to a court document connected to a $35 million bank heist in the United Arab Emirates. Per the document, investigators in Dubai say a bank manager "received a phone call that claimed to be from the company headquarters. The caller...
Reporter Finds Security Flaw,
Gets Missouri Governor's Wrath
Oct 15, 2021 5:10 AM CDT
Reporter Finds Security Flaw, Gets Missouri Governor's Wrath
Gov. Mike Parson says 'Post-Dispatch' reporter is a criminal hacker who will be punished
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
story this week exposed a major security flaw in a website run by Missouri's education department—but the newspaper didn't get a thank-you note from Gov. Mike Parson. Instead, the Republican governor vowed to investigate and prosecute the paper and the "hacker" who...
In Florida Hack,
Oct 12, 2021 4:06 PM CDT
In Florida Hack, Planes Needing Maintenance Were Cleared
Lauren Lide, 26, has been arrested in connection with the Jan. 12, 2020 hack
- On Jan 12, 2020, the CEO of a Florida flight school logged into his computer; what he saw didn't make sense. Derek Fallon of Melbourne Flight Training said that planes he knew to have been shelved for maintenance were cleared, meaning aircraft that might not have been safe to...
Hacker Claims Responsibility
for Massive T-Mobile Breach
Aug 27, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
Hacker Claims Responsibility for Massive T-Mobile Breach
John Binns, 21, says he wanted to 'generate noise'
- John Binns seems to be an unusually chatty cybercriminal. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Binns—a 21-year-old US citizen who lives in Turkey—has claimed responsibility for a massive T-Mobile data breach , saying he was able to steal data on more than 50 million customers because "their security...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.