Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For Those Seeking Abortion,
This Is a 'Game Changer'
Jan 4, 2023 7:41 AM CST
For Those Seeking Abortion, This Is a 'Game Changer'
FDA finalizes rule change allowing certified pharmacies to dispense abortion pill mifepristone
- The FDA on Tuesday approved a rule change allowing retail pharmacies to dispense the abortion pill mifepristone—providing more options for residents of states where abortion pills are allowed and for those able to travel out of states where abortion is restricted. The Biden administration broadened access to the drug...
Planned Parenthood Makes
Big Abortion Move in Kansas
Dec 21, 2022 5:47 AM CST
Planned Parenthood Makes Big Abortion Move in Kansas
Patients are now offered telemedicine abortions out of Wichita clinic, with plans to expand
- A Planned Parenthood affiliate announced Tuesday that it has started teleconferences with off-site doctors for patients seeking medication abortions at one of its Kansas clinics, a small step toward potentially much broader access in a state that has become a destination for the procedure after an August vote affirming abortion...
Judges in Ariz.,
Oct 8, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Judges in Ariz., Ohio Make Rulings on Abortion Bans
Procedure can once more take place in these 2 states, at least for now
- Abortions can take place again in Arizona, at least for now, after an appeals court on Friday blocked enforcement of a pre-statehood law that almost entirely criminalized the procedure. The three-judge panel of the Arizona Court of Appeals agreed with Planned Parenthood that a judge shouldn't have lifted the...
Planned Parenthood Plans
Mobile Abortion Clinic
Oct 3, 2022 1:38 PM CDT
Planned Parenthood Plans Mobile Abortion Clinic
Illinois clinic will travel close to Missouri, Kentucky borders
- Planned Parenthood officials on Monday announced plans for a mobile abortion clinic—a 37-foot RV that will stay in Illinois but travel close to the borders of adjoining states that have banned the procedure since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade earlier this year. The announcement came 100 days...
In Draft Opinion, Supreme Court
Votes to Overturn Roe v. Wade
May 2, 2022 9:02 PM CDT
In Draft Opinion, Supreme Court Votes to Overturn Roe v. Wade
In exceptionally rare occurrence, draft opinion is leaked
- A draft opinion in the closely-watched Mississippi abortion case that was leaked to Politico shows that the Supreme Court has voted to side with Mississippi and overturn abortion rights. Politico notes that nothing is final until the opinion is published, which will likely happen sometime in the next two months,...
East Tennessee's Sole
Jan 7, 2022 11:20 AM CST
East Tennessee's Sole Planned Parenthood Clinic Torched
Intentional fire set Dec. 31 was just the latest attack on the building
- Planned Parenthood's only clinic in East Tennessee was destroyed by arson, fire officials announced Thursday following an investigation into the blaze that ripped through the Knoxville clinic on New Year's Eve. This confirms the second act of violence at the clinic within the past year. On Jan. 22,...
Planned Parenthood Hack
Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Dec 2, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Planned Parenthood Hack Exposed 400K Patients' Data
Names, procedures of Los Angeles patients among information stolen
- One or more hackers acquired the names, birthdates, addresses, diagnoses, and procedures of some 400,000 patients of Planned Parenthood's Los Angeles branch in October, the organization revealed Wednesday. Someone accessed PPLA's network between Oct. 9 and Oct. 17, installed "malware/ransomware," and "exfiltrated" files, rep...
Groups Try to Block Texas Law
Allowing Citizen Abortion Suits
Jul 13, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Groups Try to Block Texas Law Allowing Citizen Abortion Suits
Planned Parenthood, ACLU call legislation unconstitutional, intimidation tool
- A new Texas law inviting citizens to file lawsuits against anyone who helps a woman obtain an abortion has been challenged in federal court. Several advocacy groups, including Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union, filed a lawsuit Tuesday in Austin against the law , which is scheduled to take...
Dropped From Clinic
Jul 22, 2020 1:49 AM CDT
Planned Parenthood Founder's Name Dropped From Clinic
Margaret Sanger's support for eugenics has been called racist
- Planned Parenthood of Greater New York will remove the name of pioneering birth control advocate Margaret Sanger from its Manhattan health clinic because of her “harmful connections to the eugenics movement,” the group announced on Tuesday. Sanger, one of the founders of Planned Parenthood of America more than...
Courts Nix States'
Mar 31, 2020 8:24 AM CDT
Courts Nix States' Attempts to Ban Abortion
Abortion clinics score victory amid attempts to shut them down amid coronavirus outbreak
- Federal judges on Monday temporarily blocked efforts in Texas and Alabama to ban abortions during the coronavirus pandemic, handing abortion providers a victory as clinics across the US filed lawsuits to stop states from trying to shutter them during the outbreak. A new Ohio order is also unconstitutional if it...
Abortion Clinics Are Given
a Strict Pandemic Order
Mar 22, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Abortion Clinics Are Given a Strict Pandemic Order
But it's unclear whether the Ohio clinics will comply
- Seeking an abortion amid the coronavirus pandemic? Better hope you're not in Ohio. The state's attorney general has told two abortion facilities to stop providing services that require personal protective equipment—which includes abortion, CBS News reports. "You and your facility are ordered to immediately stop performing...
to Pay Up
Nov 17, 2019 12:25 PM CST
Anti-Abortion Activist Told to Pay Up Big Bucks
But David Daleiden accuses the judge of bias
- A federal jury found Friday that an anti-abortion activist illegally secretly recorded workers at Planned Parenthood clinics and is liable for violating federal and state laws, the AP reports. The jury ordered him, the Center for Medical Progress, and other parties to pay nearly $2.3 million in damages. The...
Oct 30, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Missouri Health Chief Tracked Planned Parenthood Patients' Periods
Data indicated 4 failed abortions out of thousands
- Missouri's health director admitted Tuesday to tracking the menstrual periods of women who visited the sole abortion clinic in the state with the goal of identifying those who had failed procedures. Planned Parenthood's St. Louis clinic is facing accusations of failed medical abortions as it fights to remain...
We Built a Huge
Clinic in Secret
Oct 3, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Planned Parenthood: We Built a Huge Clinic in Secret
Facility in Illinois will be open later this month, not far from last abortion clinic in Missouri
- One of the largest abortion clinics in the US has been under hush-hush construction for more than a year, but Planned Parenthood is now revealing details. In August, CBS News got one of the first glimpses of the 18,000-square-foot "mega-clinic" in southern Illinois, built about 15 miles from...
Planned Parenthood Weighs
Options After Funding Loss
Aug 22, 2019 6:46 PM CDT
Planned Parenthood Weighs Options After Funding Loss
Organization quit federal program over rule
- Planned Parenthood clinics are charging new fees, tapping financial reserves, intensifying fundraising and warning of more unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases after its decision to quit a $260 million federal family planning program in an abortion dispute with the Trump administration. The fallout is especially intense in Utah, where...
Drops Out of US Program
Aug 19, 2019 4:08 PM CDT
Planned Parenthood Drops Out of US Program
Organization objects to abortion prohibition, will forfeit aid
- Planned Parenthood says it's pulling out of the federal family planning program rather than abide by a new Trump administration rule prohibiting participants from referring patients for abortions. Planned Parenthood's acting president and CEO says the organization's nationwide network of health centers will remain open and strive...
Judge Blocks 3 New
Arkansas Abortion Laws
Jul 24, 2019 4:15 AM CDT
Judge Blocks 3 New Arkansas Abortion Laws
Temporary measure grants 14-day temporary restraining order
- A federal judge blocked three new abortion restrictions from taking effect Wednesday in Arkansas, including a measure that opponents say would likely force the state's only surgical abortion clinic to close. US District Judge Kristine Baker granted a 14-day temporary restraining order shortly before midnight Tuesday, the AP reports....
President Booted as
New Trump Ban Takes Effect
Jul 16, 2019 6:03 PM CDT
Planned Parenthood President Booted as New Trump Ban Takes Effect
Organization announces it will defy Trump administration ban on abortion referrals
- The president of Planned Parenthood, Dr. Leana Wen, was ousted Tuesday after just eight months on the job as the organization faced unprecedented challenges related to its role as the leading abortion provider in the US. Wen, in a Twitter post, said she learned that Planned Parenthood's board "...
For Missouri's Only Abortion
Clinic, a 'Last-Minute Reprieve'
Jun 29, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
For Missouri's Only Abortion Clinic, a 'Last-Minute Reprieve'
St. Louis Planned Parenthood can keep offering abortions at least until Aug. 1 license hearing
- A Missouri commissioner on Friday ruled that the state's only abortion clinic can continue providing the service at least until August as a fight over its license plays out, adding that there's a "likelihood" that the clinic will succeed in the dispute. Administrative Hearing Commissioner Sreenivasa Rao...
State's Last Abortion Clinic:
Mandated Exam Is 'Assault'
Jun 20, 2019 8:56 AM CDT
State's Last Abortion Clinic: Mandated Exam Is 'Assault'
Planned Parenthood of St. Louis won't comply with Missouri's pelvic exam rule
- Friday is the judge-mandated deadline for Missouri's Department of Health and Senior Services to decide whether to renew the abortion license of the sole remaining abortion clinic in the state. Just two days before the deadline, a defiant move by Planned Parenthood of St. Louis: It will no longer...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.