Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
You Can Nibble on Free
Samples at Trader Joe's Again
Oct 3, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
You Can Nibble on Free Samples at Trader Joe's Again
However, those little cups of coffee will not be available
- After a pandemic pause, Trader Joe’s announced that it will once again offer free, in-store food samples, per CNN Business. It came as welcome news to the grocery chain’s fans on social media, including TikTok, where one post with an inspiring soundtrack and a spoonful of free granola...
Trader Joe's Name Was
Picked for a Specific Reason
May 14, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Trader Joe's Name Was Picked for a Specific Reason
CNN digs into Joe Coulombe's brainchild
- Even Trader Joe's devotees might not know this part of the grocery store's origin: It was indeed started by a man named Joe. CNN reports that LA convenience store owner Joe Coulombe saw an opportunity to cater to travel-minded shoppers who had a taste for more sophisticated items...
Once Again, Bare Shelves
Hitting US Grocery Stores
Jan 12, 2022 7:03 AM CST
Once Again, Bare Shelves Hitting US Grocery Stores
Pandemic, weather, and supply chain issues are causing problems
- Benjamin Whitely headed to a Safeway supermarket in Washington, DC, on Tuesday to grab some items for dinner. But he was disappointed to find the vegetable bins barren and a sparse selection of turkey, chicken, and milk. “Seems like I missed out on everything,” Whitely, 67, said. “...
Man Going to Prison for Post
About COVID, Grocery Stores
Oct 6, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Man Going to Prison for Post About COVID, Grocery Stores
He falsely said an infected person was licking groceries
- A Texas man who posted a COVID-19 hoax on social media in the weeks after the pandemic was declared will spend the next 15 months in federal prison. FBI agents in San Antonio launched an investigation in April 2020 after authorities were sent a screenshot of a Facebook post in...
Larry David Ran Into
at the Market. It
Didn't Go Well
Aug 19, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Larry David Ran Into Alan Dershowitz at the Market. It Didn't Go Well
Topic of conversation reportedly involved former President Trump
- The only thing missing from this supermarket confrontation was the mournful tuba accompaniment. What
deems a "pretty, pretty strange scene" took place recently on Martha's Vineyard, and a "Page Six spy" was there to document it all. Per the gossip section of the
New York Post
Cashier Dead, Deputy Wounded
After Face Mask Dispute
Jun 15, 2021 8:44 AM CDT
Cashier Dead, Deputy Wounded After Face Mask Dispute
Customer retrieved gun, opened fire after argument Monday: GBI
- A grocery store cashier in Georgia died Monday when a shopper was told to put on a face mask and instead opened fire, per WSB . A reserve sheriff's deputy was also injured in the shooting, which erupted at the Big Bear grocery store in Decatur shortly after 1pm. A...
Walmart Has Its
Work Cut Out for It
May 16, 2021 6:15 AM CDT
Leaked Memo: Walmart Has Its Work Cut Out for It
Instacart is gaining on groceries, document says, and then there's Amazon
- A 100-page document written by Walmart for advertising agencies starkly portrays the problems the company has to solve to remain the world's largest retailer. At the top of the list is the success of its competitors in the grocery sector, reports Recode , which managed to view the February document....
In a London Parking Lot,
a 6-Year-Long 'Magnum Opus'
Apr 30, 2021 1:46 PM CDT
In a London Parking Lot, a 6-Year-Long 'Magnum Opus'
Gareth Wild was determined to park in 211 separate spaces at supermarket
- If you took a survey on people's favorite things to do, finding a parking space likely wouldn't rank very high—unless you're Gareth Wild, who just finished his "magnum opus" related to the activity, reports the BBC . In a Tuesday Twitter thread , the 39-year-old production director...
LA County Orders Grocery
Stores to Fork Over 'Hero Pay'
Feb 24, 2021 6:35 AM CST
LA County Orders Grocery Stores to Fork Over 'Hero Pay'
Board of Supervisors approves $5/hour mandate for workers in designated stores for next 120 days
- A mandate kicking off this week will put more money in the pockets of grocery workers in Los Angeles County for braving the pandemic to clock in. Starting Friday, national grocery and retail drug stores in unincorporated areas of the county have to start forking over $5 more an hour...
With Power Out, Store Waves
Shoppers Through Checkout
Feb 21, 2021 12:35 PM CST
With Power Out, Store Waves Shoppers Through Checkout
Generosity spreads to customers at Texas H-E-B
- A couple of hundred people were hurrying around a Texas grocery store to stock up during the storm emergency Tuesday when the power went out. A "collective groan" could be heard, one shopper said. The checkout lines at the H-E-B store in Leander were 20 carts long, the
Kroger Is Closing More Stores
Over Hazard Pay Issue
Feb 18, 2021 1:03 AM CST
Kroger Is Closing More Stores Over Hazard Pay Issue
This time the grocery store chain is shuttering stores in Seattle
- Kroger is closing two more stores, this time in Seattle, rather than providing workers with hazard pay. A law that went into effect this month in the city requires grocery stores of a certain size to pay workers an extra $4 per hour amid the COVID-19 pandemic, CNN reports. As...
Does a 180 on Masks
Jul 21, 2020 6:44 AM CDT
Grocery Chain Does a 180 on Masks
Winn-Dixie will require them after all
- The parent company of Southern supermarket chain Winn-Dixie said Monday that it is reversing its policy and will now require customers to wear masks at its stores to help reduce the spread of the coronavirus, the AP reports. Southeastern Grocers Inc. said the requirement will go into effect next Monday....
Sticker Shock at the
Supermarket? You're Not Alone
May 13, 2020 7:32 AM CDT
Sticker Shock at the Supermarket? You're Not Alone
Price of groceries just saw record-setting spike due to coronavirus pandemic
- With most Americans sheltering at home as they wait out the coronavirus pandemic, you may have noticed that while your eating-out tab has gone down, your supermarket bill has gone up. It's not in your head: The monthly consumer price index has been released by the Bureau of Labor...
Man Who Used KKK Hood as
Face Mask Is Off the Hook
May 12, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Man Who Used KKK Hood as Face Mask Is Off the Hook
Police say their hands are tied after supermarket incident in Santee, Calif.
- A white man pictured wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood at a supermarket near San Diego will not face charges. An investigation into the May 2 incident at the Vons in Santee didn't uncover enough evidence for police to pursue charges, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said...
5 Grocery Workers
Die in Michigan
Apr 14, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
5 Grocery Workers Die in Michigan
Some 30 employees have died nationwide, with many more exposed
- Five grocery store workers have succumbed to COVID-19 in Michigan. Kroger confirmed four employees at separate locations in metro Detroit (Northville, Troy, Grosse Pointe, and Livonia) had died, while Meijer confirmed the death of a worker at an undisclosed location. "These are believed to be the first known deaths...
New Way to Survive
Apr 12, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Restaurants Find New Way to Survive
And it's catching on nationwide
- Charlene Gulliford at the Gandy Dancer never figured there would come a day when the Michigan restaurant known for its steaks and seafood would sell toilet paper and cartons of eggs, but the coronavirus has restaurants in survival mode, the AP reports. The Ann Arbor restaurant now doubles as a...
'Disgusting' New Trend
Can Sicken People, Wildlife
Apr 9, 2020 8:51 AM CDT
'Disgusting' New Trend Can Sicken People, Wildlife
People are littering the landscape with gloves, masks, and wipes used to fight coronavirus
- From California and Texas to New Hampshire and New York , there's a "new, disgusting trend" cropping up around the coronavirus, and it's a potentially dangerous one. The
and other outlets report on the "small pops of color" suddenly showing up in parking lots, by...
Cops: Woman Arrested
for Licking Groceries
Apr 9, 2020 3:54 AM CDT
Cops: Woman Arrested for Licking Groceries
Police say she ruined $1.8K of merchandise
- In behavior that would have been deeply wrong even before the coronavirus pandemic, a California woman allegedly licked groceries and jewelry inside a Safeway in South Lake Tahoe. Police said in a statement that they were called to the store Tuesday and an employee informed the officers that the woman...
Your New Grocery Store:
Panera Bread? Kind Of
Apr 8, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Your New Grocery Store: Panera Bread? Kind Of
Chain hopes to generate incremental revenue through sales of select grocery items
- When Panera Bread shifted to takeout and delivery only in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, half its business evaporated, says CEO Niren Chaudhary. This week starts an effort to get some of it back. CNBC reports that as of Monday consumers are able to order some groceries through "...
Apr 7, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
New Worry: Grocery Workers Now Dying
At least 4 killed by coronavirus in recent days
- Grocery store employees are on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic—and now they're dying. The
reports that at least four have died from COVID-19 in recent days, and many more have tested positive. The deaths include:
A Trader Joe's employee in Scarsdale, NY, with
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.