Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
health care costs
Stories 1 - 20 |
Colorado Woman Wins Fight
Against Crazy Hospital Bill
May 19, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Colorado Woman Wins Fight Against Crazy Hospital Bill
Colorado Supreme Court rules in favor of Lisa French
- Lisa French may finally be able to wash her hands of the $228,000 hospital bill that's been hanging over her head since 2014, thanks to a Monday ruling by the Colorado Supreme Court. The
has the story of the bill, which is tied to two back...
Hospital Bills Woman
$700 for 7-Hour ER Wait
in case you missed it
Nov 6, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Hospital Bills Woman $700 for 7-Hour ER Wait
Georgia woman Taylor Davis left without being seen
- For $100 an hour, Georgia woman Taylor Davis could have visited an upscale spa. Instead, that was how much she was charged for sitting in an emergency room, waiting to be seen. Davis tells Fox 5 that she went to the ER at Emory Decatur Hospital in July with a...
Teens Rank the
9 Biggest Threats
They Are Facing
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Teens Rank the 9 Biggest Threats They Are Facing
Climate change fails to make the top 5
- Teenagers are perhaps less concerned with climate change than you might think, ranking it sixth in a list of the nine greatest threats to their generation, according to a new
-Ipsos poll. The national survey of 1,349 teens aged 14 to 18, conducted online in May and...
Doctor Wipes Out $650K
His Patients Owe Him
Jan 5, 2021 1:38 PM CST
Doctor Wipes Out $650K His Patients Owe Him
Oncologist was always troubled by the strain caused by medical debt
- Over nearly 30 years, thousands of patients were treated at the Arkansas Cancer Clinic. No one was turned away for financial reasons, but the bills patients were left with troubled Dr. Omar Atiq. "I've always been rather uncomfortable with sick patients not only having to worry about their...
Warren Releases Plan to Pay
for 'Medicare for All'
Nov 1, 2019 10:14 AM CDT
Warren Releases Plan to Pay for 'Medicare for All'
She says 'not one penny' from middle class
- Elizabeth Warren promised Friday to spend more than $20 trillion over the next decade to provide government-funded health care to every American without raising middle-class taxes—finally offering ideas about how to implement the massive "Medicare for All" program without taking a larger bite out of most Americans' salaries....
Health Care Costs
Into $88B Debt
in Last Year
Apr 3, 2019 8:20 AM CDT
Health Care Costs Sent Americans Into $88B Debt in Last Year
Survey also finds one-quarter of Americans have held off on treatments due to cost
- As the Trump administration continues to try to dismantle ObamaCare , with a GOP plan now not expected until after the 2020 election, some sobering statistics have emerged underscoring the necessity for affordable health care. Per the
New York Times
, a survey released Tuesday by Gallup and the West Health nonprofit...
Your Hospital Charge?
You'll Know as of Jan. 1
Dec 29, 2018 7:30 AM CST
What Does Your Hospital Charge? You'll Know as of Jan. 1
But the information may not be all that useful
- It's one step forward. Maybe. In a move designed to increase transparency around our nation's health care costs, all hospitals in America will be required to post a master list, or chargemaster, of their prices online as of Jan. 1, per a new federal rule. But the
Cost of This Drug
in 2013: $138.
Cost Now: $2,979
Feb 16, 2018 6:39 AM CST
Cost of This Drug in 2013: $138. Cost Now: $2,979
Horizon Pharma's Vimovo just saw latest price hike, but maker says most will pay less than $10
- A painkiller that cost $138 a bottle less than five years ago now hovers at close to $3,000—the latest price hike to put the pharmaceutical industry in the spotlight. CNNMoney reports Horizon Pharma's latest increase on Vimovo, which has seen nearly a dozen such rate rises since...
3 Corporate Giants to Go
After the 'Hungry Tapeworm'
Jan 30, 2018 8:22 AM CST
3 Corporate Giants to Go After the 'Hungry Tapeworm'
Amazon, JPMorgan, Berkshire Hathaway will team up on health care
- "The ballooning costs of health care act as a hungry tapeworm on the American economy," says Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett, and he has teamed up with some equally huge names in an attempt to go after said tapeworm. Amazon.com, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase on Tuesday...
Doctors Told Them to Take
Their Babies Home. They Can't
Jan 9, 2018 4:09 PM CST
Doctors Told Them to Take Their Babies Home. They Can't
Inside the struggle to find and pay for at-home care for kids with extreme heath-care needs
- Sheltaya Williams' daughter was admitted to the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh on Aug. 22 and found to have clots that demanded surgery. The 6-week-old, who was born with heart defects, was left with a tracheostomy and on a ventilator. In March, doctors decided little Brooklyn Mallard could go...
Surgeon Offered to Pierce a
Girl's Ears. Then Came the Bill
Nov 29, 2017 10:50 AM CST
Surgeon Offered to Pierce a Girl's Ears. Then Came the Bill
It was for $1,877, and it's emblematic of our health care spending mess
- "Overuse" may seem like a benign word, and that's kind of the problem. In its latest piece on health care waste, ProPublica defines overuse as an umbrella term for a type of waste that includes things like unnecessary tests or surgeries. And it kicks things off with an...
Rise Sharply for
2nd Year in a Row
Oct 26, 2017 1:00 AM CDT
ObamaCare Premiums Rise Sharply for 2nd Year in a Row
Most popular plans up by an average of 34%
- Premiums for the most popular ObamaCare plans are going up an average of 34%, according to a study released Wednesday that confirms dire predictions about the impact of political turmoil on consumers. Window-shopping on HealthCare.gov went live Wednesday, so across the country consumers going online can see the consequences...
WH: We'll Make August Health
Care Payment to Insurers
Aug 17, 2017 9:01 AM CDT
WH: We'll Make August Health Care Payment to Insurers
But uncertainty still lingers on long-term prospects for cost-sharing subsidies
- The government will make this month's payments to insurers under the Obama-era health care law that President Trump still wants to repeal and replace, the AP reports. "The August payment will be made," a White House spokesman said Wednesday. Trump has repeatedly threatened to end the payments,...
CBO: Trump's Health Strategy
Would Hike Costs 20% in 2018
Aug 16, 2017 6:33 AM CDT
CBO: Trump's Health Strategy Would Hike Costs 20% in 2018
If president stops ObamaCare subsidies, premiums will rise dramatically for 'silver' plan
- People buying individual health-care policies would face higher premiums, and some may be left with no insurance options, if President Trump makes good on his threat to stop ObamaCare payments to insurers. That's the conclusion of a new report by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, the AP reports. More...
Cancer From Tanning Beds
Takes a Huge Financial Toll
Mar 5, 2017 1:56 PM CST
Cancer From Tanning Beds Takes a Huge Financial Toll
Now considered a 'significant contributor' to cancer-related deaths
- Tanning beds have long been associated with skin cancer, and now researchers are quantifying just what that costs the US financially. Reporting in the
Journal of Cancer Policy
, they calculate that in 2015, the direct medical care for skin cancers resulting from tanning bed exposure totals $343.1 million. What'...
$3B a Year in
Mar 2, 2016 6:48 AM CST
Hospitals Toss $3B a Year in Cancer Drugs
Non-cancer drugs can be culprits, too
- Some cancer drugs are barely wasted at all. Teva Pharmaceuticals' Treanda, used to treat leukemia and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, comes in four separate dosage packages, so only 1% of the drug is typically thrown away. But with 18 of the top 20 cancer drugs sold in only one or two...
Visits Rising Under
May 4, 2015 1:56 PM CDT
Emergency Room Visits Rising Under ObamaCare: Poll
Three-quarters of emergency doctors cite increase
- Backers of ObamaCare have said it would reduce the number of visits to emergency rooms, the
Wall Street Journal
notes, but in fact, a poll of ER doctors finds that number has been climbing. "Visits are going up despite the (Affordable Care Act), and in a lot of cases...
Apr 27, 2015 3:30 PM CDT
Pharma Firms Buy Drugs, Immediately Hike Prices
One health care expert calls it 'highway robbery'
- If you've noticed the cost of your prescription meds creeping up, it might be because their original manufacturer sold them to another company, which then went ahead and hiked up the price. It's a pharmaceutical industry tactic being used more often to increase sales and bring more money...
Man's Desert Sex
Costs Him $250K
in case you missed it
Jan 24, 2015 4:25 PM CST
Man's Desert Sex Costs Him $250K
Peter Cousins racks up an impressive medical bill after heart attack
- A British couple's decision to make love at a Nevada hot spring has resulted in a $250,000 medical bill. Peter Cousins and Dawn Reed, who were traveling around the world, decided to have sex at the spot, which was 60 miles from the nearest phone signal—and it...
Couple Trapped in US
Escapes $200K Bill
After Early Birth
Jan 3, 2015 3:38 PM CST
Couple Trapped in US Escapes $200K Bill After Early Birth
Brits Kate Amos and Lee Johnston were told they couldn't leave for months
- When a British couple vacationing in New York had a baby 11 weeks earlier than expected, they were told they couldn't go home until March because the baby wasn't ready to fly—and that meant a $200,000 medical bill. Good news for Kate Amos and Lee Johnston:...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.