Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wreak Havoc in Asia
Jan 25, 2023 8:54 AM CST
Freezing Temps Wreak Havoc in Asia
Parts of Japan could see coldest weather in a decade; more than 100 are dead in Afghanistan
- Snow, wind, and freezing temperatures are wreaking havoc across Asia, and in some places it's turned deadly. Earlier this week, more than 120 people died in Afghanistan from the cold, while in China's northernmost city of Mohe, known as "China's North Pole," record lows of...
Taliban Issues Another
Decree Against Women
Dec 25, 2022 1:02 PM CST
Taliban Issues Another Decree Against Women
They can no longer work for NGOs, and aid organizations already are suspending operations
- Last week, the Taliban banned women from going to college . Now, the Afghan government is forbidding women from working at non-governmental organizations, or NGOs. As with the university decree, Taliban leaders say that women working for such organizations have been flouting dress codes and not wearing hijabs, reports the
After Women's Studies Move,
Taliban Tells World to Butt Out
Dec 22, 2022 4:20 PM CST
After Women's Studies Move, Taliban Tells World to Butt Out
Education minister defends decision to bar females from universities
- The minister of higher education in the Taliban government on Thursday defended his decision to bar women from universities—a decree that had triggered a global backlash. Discussing the matter for the first time in public, Nida Mohammad Nadim said the ban issued earlier this week was necessary to prevent...
2 Americans in
Dec 20, 2022 9:21 PM CST
Taliban Releases 2 Americans in 'Goodwill Gesture'
They were freed on same day group banned women from universities
- Two Americans were freed by Afghanistan's Taliban rulers Tuesday in what authorities described as a "goodwill gesture." CNN reports that one of the two Americans is independent filmmaker Ivor Shearer, who was arrested in August while filming near where a drone killed al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri. Officials...
In Taliban's First
Dec 7, 2022 11:44 AM CST
In Taliban's First Public Execution, Victim's Father Pulls Trigger
Man who confessed to 2017 stabbing is shot dead
- In November, the Taliban's supreme leader told judges that Shariah and its associated punishments should be fully enforced. One of those punishments, public executions, was imposed on Wednesday in Afghanistan, in what the BBC reports is believed to be the Taliban's first public execution since it regained power...
Afghans Sell Daughters,
Kidneys to Stave Off Hunger
Nov 24, 2022 6:49 AM CST
Afghans Sell Daughters, Kidneys to Stave Off Hunger
Some parents are drugging their hungry children instead
- It's no wonder Afghanistan is the world's unhappiest country . Afghans struggling to survive amid Taliban rule are selling their daughters and kidneys just to feed their families, and that isn't always enough. Amidst an economic crisis spurred in part by a freeze on foreign funds, one of...
Taliban Bans Women
From Parks, Gyms
Nov 10, 2022 11:56 AM CST
Taliban Bans Women From Parks, Gyms
Group claims it has 'tried its best' to avoid imposing restrictions
- More than a year after returning to power in Afghanistan and promising to respect women's rights, the Taliban are busy crushing the few rights women in the country still have. Women are now banned from parks and gyms in the country, according to a Ministry of Vice and Virtue...
Afghan Couple Sues:
US Marine Stole Our Baby
Oct 20, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
Afghan Couple Sues: US Marine Stole Our Baby
US court granted Joshua Mast custody of a foreign citizen, whose relatives allege fraud
- US Marine Corps attorney Joshua Mast and his wife, Stephanie, say they "acted admirably" in adopting a young war orphan from Afghanistan. But an Afghan couple tells a very different story, saying Mast stole the child—a relative they gained custody of after her parents and siblings were killed...
Gates Foundation Commits
$1.2B to Ending Polio
Oct 16, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Gates Foundation Commits $1.2B to Ending Polio
Virus still spreads in Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Pakistan and Afghanistan are the only remaining countries where the polio virus is in circulation. "The last steps to eradication are by far the toughest," said Mark Suzman, CEO of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which he said is committed to a global "polio-free future."...
9 Months Later, Case of
Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
Sep 24, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
The 'New York Times' digs in
- Lina Sardar Khil is still missing nine months after vanishing from a San Antonio playground . The 3-year-old's story has received wide coverage, but the
New York Times
goes deeper, filling in some backstory on the family, the specifics of the day she disappeared, and where things stand today. Edgar...
Biden: US Prisoner Swap
Required 'Difficult Decisions'
Sep 19, 2022 9:17 AM CDT
Biden: US Prisoner Swap Required 'Difficult Decisions'
US frees Afghan drug lord in exchange for American Mark Frerichs
The White House acknowledged and hailed the release of American hostage Mark Frerichs from Afghanistan on Monday. "Bringing the negotiations that led to Mark’s freedom to a successful resolution required difficult decisions, which I did not take lightly," said President Biden in a statement, per
This Is the World's
Sep 11, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
This Is the World's Unhappiest Country
Afghanistan displaces Iraq at top of Gallup list
- Last year was a tough year for many countries—but in Afghanistan and Lebanon, things were so bad that the countries displaced Iraq at the top of the list of countries with the worst emotional health. Gallup says the two countries topped its "composite measure of people's daily...
Russia Denounces Bombing
of Its Embassy in Kabul
Sep 5, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
Russia Denounces Bombing of Its Embassy in Kabul
Islamic State ally opposed to Taliban has been suspected in series of attacks
- A suicide bombing outside the Russian Embassy in the Afghan capital of Kabul on Monday killed two members of the embassy staff and at least one Afghan civilian in a rare attack on a foreign diplomatic mission in Afghanistan. The blast went off at the entrance to the embassy's...
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others
During Evening Prayers
Aug 18, 2022 4:10 AM CDT
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others During Evening Prayers
Witnesses say suicide bomber attacked Kabul mosque
- A bombing at a mosque in the Afghan capital of Kabul during evening prayers killed at least 21 people, including a prominent cleric, and wounded at least 33 others, eyewitnesses and police said Thursday. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack Wednesday night, the latest to strike...
Afghanistan Is Back
Where It Was: US General
Aug 14, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Afghanistan Is Back Where It Was: US General
A year after withdrawal, assessments of the fallout differ
- One year ago, the Taliban took control of the government in Afghanistan. The anniversary has sparked assessments and reassessments of the fallout from the withdrawal of US troops, from Afghans as well as Americans. And the Biden administration is preparing to answer them. The latest are from:
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb
Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
Aug 12, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
It's a 'very huge loss' for the country, Taliban official says of death claimed by ISIS
- An Afghan cleric who supported the Taliban and went up against the Islamic State has been killed in a suicide bombing claimed by that same group. Sheikh Rahimullah Haqqani died at an Islamic seminary in Kabul when a man detonated a bomb hidden in his prosthetic leg, reports Reuters . In...
Taliban: We Didn't Know
Where al-Zawahri Was
Aug 4, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Taliban: We Didn't Know Where al-Zawahri Was
US government claims otherwise
- The Taliban broke its silence Thursday, days after a US drone strike killed al-Qaeda's top leader in Afghanistan's capital, acknowledging his slaying and pledging to launch an investigation. The killing of Ayman al-Zawahri on the balcony of a Kabul safehouse Sunday has further strained relations between the Taliban...
After Kabul Strike, Aid Worker
Recognizes Former Home
Aug 4, 2022 5:00 AM CDT
After Kabul Strike, Aid Worker Recognizes Former Home
'It was a nice balcony,' he says after strike that killed Ayman al-Zawahri
- When news reports showed the Kabul villa where al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri was killed in a US drone strike Sunday, American aid worker Dan Smock was startled. He recognized the distinctive home he shared with several colleagues while working on a US government-funded project. "Reports said the CIA had...
Aug 2, 2022 3:16 PM CDT
Al-Zawahri's Killing Reveals a Worrisome Alliance
Al-Qaeda leader must have been hiding in Kabul with Taliban's blessing: Fred Kaplan
- For journalist Fred Kaplan, the killing of al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri stands out not so much for the event itself. Al-Qaeda "is far from the potent global force that it was a decade ago," writes Kaplan at Slate , and while al-Zawahri certainly had a key role in planning...
The Wedding May Save a
Family. But the Bride Is 8
Jul 6, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
The Wedding May Save a Family. But the Bride Is 8
Experts warn of child marriage, for some an alternative to starvation, amid catastrophe
- Nyekuoth Manyuan dreamed of becoming a doctor. Instead, at 14, she was taken from her village of Kueryiek in South Sudan and wed to a 25-year-old man in exchange for 60 cattle. "I know I'm young," Nyekuoth told CBS News foreign correspondent Debora Patta. "But the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.