Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others
During Evening Prayers
Aug 18, 2022 4:10 AM CDT
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others During Evening Prayers
Witnesses say suicide bomber attacked Kabul mosque
- A bombing at a mosque in the Afghan capital of Kabul during evening prayers killed at least 21 people, including a prominent cleric, and wounded at least 33 others, eyewitnesses and police said Thursday. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack Wednesday night, the latest to strike...
Afghanistan Is Back
Where It Was: US General
Aug 14, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Afghanistan Is Back Where It Was: US General
A year after withdrawal, assessments of the fallout differ
- One year ago, the Taliban took control of the government in Afghanistan. The anniversary has sparked assessments and reassessments of the fallout from the withdrawal of US troops, from Afghans as well as Americans. And the Biden administration is preparing to answer them. The latest are from:
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb
Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
Aug 12, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
It's a 'very huge loss' for the country, Taliban official says of death claimed by ISIS
- An Afghan cleric who supported the Taliban and went up against the Islamic State has been killed in a suicide bombing claimed by that same group. Sheikh Rahimullah Haqqani died at an Islamic seminary in Kabul when a man detonated a bomb hidden in his prosthetic leg, reports Reuters . In...
Taliban: We Didn't Know
Where al-Zawahri Was
Aug 4, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Taliban: We Didn't Know Where al-Zawahri Was
US government claims otherwise
- The Taliban broke its silence Thursday, days after a US drone strike killed al-Qaeda's top leader in Afghanistan's capital, acknowledging his slaying and pledging to launch an investigation. The killing of Ayman al-Zawahri on the balcony of a Kabul safehouse Sunday has further strained relations between the Taliban...
After Kabul Strike, Aid Worker
Recognizes Former Home
Aug 4, 2022 5:00 AM CDT
After Kabul Strike, Aid Worker Recognizes Former Home
'It was a nice balcony,' he says after strike that killed Ayman al-Zawahri
- When news reports showed the Kabul villa where al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri was killed in a US drone strike Sunday, American aid worker Dan Smock was startled. He recognized the distinctive home he shared with several colleagues while working on a US government-funded project. "Reports said the CIA had...
Aug 2, 2022 3:16 PM CDT
Al-Zawahri's Killing Reveals a Worrisome Alliance
Al-Qaeda leader must have been hiding in Kabul with Taliban's blessing: Fred Kaplan
- For journalist Fred Kaplan, the killing of al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri stands out not so much for the event itself. Al-Qaeda "is far from the potent global force that it was a decade ago," writes Kaplan at Slate , and while al-Zawahri certainly had a key role in planning...
The Wedding May Save a
Family. But the Bride Is 8
Jul 6, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
The Wedding May Save a Family. But the Bride Is 8
Experts warn of child marriage, for some an alternative to starvation, amid catastrophe
- Nyekuoth Manyuan dreamed of becoming a doctor. Instead, at 14, she was taken from her village of Kueryiek in South Sudan and wed to a 25-year-old man in exchange for 60 cattle. "I know I'm young," Nyekuoth told CBS News foreign correspondent Debora Patta. "But the...
All-Male Meeting Backs Taliban
Jul 2, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
All-Male Meeting Backs Taliban
Clerics, elders ask nations to recognize Afghan government
- A three-day assembly of Islamic clerics and tribal elders in the Afghan capital concluded Saturday with pledges of support for the Taliban and calls on the international community to recognize the country's Taliban-led government. The meeting in Kabul was tailored along the lines of Afghanistan's traditional Loya Jirgas—...
At Least 1K Dead in
Jun 22, 2022 6:40 AM CDT
At Least 1K Dead in Afghanistan Earthquake
Magnitude 6.1 temblor the deadliest in the country since 2002
This file has been updated throughout with new details on the death toll.
A powerful earthquake struck a rural, mountainous region of eastern Afghanistan early Wednesday, killing 1,000 people and injuring 1,500 more, according to a state-run news agency. Officials warned that the already grim toll would...
Taliban Launch Campaign
to Wipe Out Poppy Crop
Jun 2, 2022 8:53 AM CDT
Taliban Launch Campaign to Wipe Out Poppy Crop
They plan to eradicate opium, heroin production
- Afghanistan’s Taliban rulers have begun a campaign to eradicate poppy cultivation, aiming to wipe out the country’s massive production of opium and heroin, even as farmers fear their livelihoods will be ruined at a time of growing poverty. On a recent day in Washir district in southern Helmand...
Female Anchors Cover Faces
Under New Taliban Order
May 22, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Female Anchors Cover Faces Under New Taliban Order
Male colleagues in Afghanistan wear masks in solidarity
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers on Sunday began enforcing an order requiring all female TV news anchors in the country to cover their faces while on the air. The move is part of a hard-line shift drawing condemnation from rights activists. After the order was announced Thursday, only a handful of...
A Plant Is Turning
a Meth Producer
May 8, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
A Plant Is Turning Afghanistan Into a Meth Producer
'Washington Post' says the country is experiencing a meth boom
- Afghanistan's poppy fields have helped make it a leader when it comes to opium production. Now another plant is transforming the country into a leading meth producer, report Susannah George and Joby Warrick for the
. The native plant is locally known as oman, but it's also...
Women Challenge Taliban Rule:
'This Isn't About Hijab'
May 8, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Women Challenge Taliban Rule: 'This Isn't About Hijab'
Some Taliban leaders look for workarounds on the restrictions in Afghanistan
- Arooza was furious and afraid, keeping her eyes open for Taliban on patrol as she and a friend shopped Sunday in Kabul's Macroyan neighborhood. The math teacher was fearful her large shawl, wrapped tight around her head, and sweeping pale brown coat would not satisfy the latest decree by...
May 7, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Taliban Just Resurrected a Hard-Line Mandate
Women once more have to wear face-covering burkas in public
- Afghanistan's Taliban leadership ordered all Afghan women to wear the all-covering burka in public, the ministry of vice and virtue said Saturday. The move evoked similar restrictions on women during the Taliban's previous hard-line rule between 1996 and 2001. "We want our sisters to live with dignity...
Taliban: No More TikTok
Apr 22, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Taliban: No More TikTok
Afghanistan's rulers say young people are being led astray
- The Taliban has been outlawing various products and activities since taking power in Afghanistan. TV shows with women in them were banned last fall, per CNN . Wine fell out of favor earlier this month. The latest prohibition reaches young people, the BBC reports: The use of TikTok and PUBG is...
Taliban Just Banned
Biggest Cash Crop
Apr 4, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Taliban Just Banned Afghanistan's Biggest Cash Crop
After decades of financing the leaders, opium, other drugs get the boot
- The Taliban was in the restricting mood Sunday, banning opium poppy—which accounts for 80% of the world's supply of opium—along with wine, heroin, and other drugs. The Taliban has had an interesting relationship with opium, having repeatedly tried to ban the narcotic before using the crop to...
Booted From Flights
Mar 26, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Officials: Afghan Women Without Male Companions Booted From Flights
Unaccompanied women reportedly turned away from airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Friday
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers refused to allow dozens of women to board several flights, including some overseas, because they were traveling without a male "guardian," two Afghan airline officials said Saturday. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said dozens of women who arrived at Kabul's...
From the Taliban,
an 'Unexpected Decision'
Mar 23, 2022 7:48 AM CDT
From the Taliban, an 'Unexpected Decision'
Afghanistan's de facto rulers break promise, won't open schools to girls above 6th grade
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers decided against opening schools to girls above the sixth grade, reneging on a previous promise and opting to appease their hardline base at the expense of further alienating the international community. The unexpected decision, confirmed by a Taliban official Wednesday, came at the start of the...
They Fled Afghanistan for US.
Now They Can't Find Homes
Mar 5, 2022 11:30 AM CST
They Fled Afghanistan for US. Now They Can't Find Homes
Tens of thousands of Afghans who escaped Taliban now face housing problems in America
- After fleeing her home in now-Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, Mozhgan Entazari did everything she could to find a new one for her family in the sunny, palm tree-lined communities of Southern California. The 34-year-old mother of two scoured options on Zillow with her husband, while the family lived at a hotel in...
Joe Biden's Worst Mistake
May Be Unfolding Right Now
Feb 22, 2022 11:28 AM CST
Joe Biden's Worst Mistake May Be Unfolding Right Now
Ezra Klein is referring to starving Afghans
- The worst mistake of the Biden administration might end up being Afghanistan, writes Ezra Klein in the
New York Times
. And no, he's not referring to the chaotic withdrawal of US troops. He's talking about what has unfolded since, what's unfolding
, and what will continue to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
Teen Beat Their Daughters. They Forced Probe Into Her Gender
FBI Report Details Angelina Jolie's 2016 Plane Ride With Brad Pitt
Her Alaskan Election Surprise May Lead to History
Court in India Sets Free Men Who Raped Woman
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.