Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Buyer of World's
Largest Bottle of
Aug 31, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Buyer of World's Largest Bottle of Whisky Revealed
311-liter bottle of Macallan joins Viet Nguyen Dinh Tuan's $190M collection
- The owner of the most expensive whisky cask sold at auction has been revealed as a Vietnamese man with a spirits collection valued at $190 million. Viet Nguyen Dinh Tuan, who paid nearly $1.2 million for the cask of 32-year-old Macallan single malt whisky, bottled in a 311-liter vessel...
'Horrendous News' in
Search for Scottish Hikers
Aug 7, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
'Horrendous News' in Search for Scottish Hikers
3 found dead after setting out to hike notorious ridge
- The bodies of three missing hikers were recovered from a mountain in the Scottish Highlands after they didn't return from a notoriously difficult scramble on one of the narrowest ridge crests in Britain, police said Monday. The trio set out Saturday in Glen Coe to hike the Aonach Eagach,...
Greta Thunberg Bows Out of
Event Over 'Greenwashing'
Aug 4, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Greta Thunberg Bows Out of Event Over 'Greenwashing'
Climate activist cites sponsorship from investment firm with ties to fossil fuels
- Greta Thunberg has pulled out of an international book festival, where she was slated to discuss her recent book on climate change, due to what she claims is "greenwashing" by the festival's main sponsor. The climate activist said she would not attend the Edinburgh International Book Festival, to...
Case of American Accused of
Faking Death Takes New Turn
Aug 2, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Case of American Accused of Faking Death Takes New Turn
Scottish judge rules Nicholas Rossi can be extradited to Utah to face charges
- An American fugitive accused of faking his own death to avoid a rape charge in Utah can be extradited to the US, a judge in Scotland ruled Wednesday, calling the man "as dishonest and deceitful as he is evasive and manipulative." The wanted man known in Scotland as...
The Orkney Islands Are
Tired of Getting 'Crumbs'
Jul 6, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
The Orkney Islands Are Tired of Getting 'Crumbs'
Council on Tuesday voted to study 'alternative models of governance'
- Officials on the Orkney Islands, a corner of Scotland with Viking roots, voted Tuesday to explore ways of seeking more autonomy —or even independence—from neglectful UK governments. Journalists from across Britain and around the world tuned in remotely as Orkney Islands Council voted to study "alternative models...
an Elaborate Day
for King Charles
Jul 5, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
In Scotland, an Elaborate Day for King Charles
He'll be presented with the Scottish crown jewels
- Two months after the lavish coronation of King Charles III at Westminster Abbey in London, Scotland is set to host its own event to mark the new monarch's accession to the throne. While Charles and Queen Camilla won't be crowned a second time Wednesday in Edinburgh, the festivities...
Scottish Islands Want
a Return to Norway
Jul 3, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Scottish Islands Want a Return to Norway
Orkney Islands say they're being neglected by Edinburgh and London
- The push for Scottish independence has been going, well, not very well for centuries, and now Scotland's Orkney Islands are looking to take matters into their own hands. As the BBC reports, local officials, tired of getting what they deem short-shrift from their relationships with both Edinburgh and the...
Delta Pilot Arrested
at Scottish Airport
Jun 20, 2023 4:52 PM CDT
Delta Pilot Arrested at Scottish Airport
Allegedly drunk pilot was arrested 35 minutes before flight to New York City
- A Delta Air Lines pilot who was allegedly too drunk to fly was arrested just 35 minutes before a flight from Edinburgh to New York City was due to take off, authorities say. Scottish police say the 61-year-old man was arrested at the airport at 10am Friday on suspicion of...
Jun 11, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
Ex-Scottish Leader Nicola Sturgeon Arrested, Questioned
Police investigating party finances release her hours later
- Former Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, who dominated politics in Scotland for almost a decade, was arrested and questioned for several hours on Sunday by police investigating the finances of the governing, pro-independence Scottish National Party. Police Scotland said a 52-year-old woman was detained Sunday morning "as a suspect...
May 24, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
Michelangelo Gets Censored in Scottish Subway Ad
'David' needs a crop before he can be used to hawk pizza in Glasgow
- He may be nearly universally considered a masterpiece made by one of the most widely renowned artists in history, but Michelangelo's David is definitely naked, and as such, proved a little too much for a Scottish subway system. As Hyperallergic reports, the idea was for Glasgow-based Italian restaurant Barolo...
A Political Probe in Scotland
Leads to a High-Profile Arrest
Apr 5, 2023 7:38 AM CDT
A Political Probe in Scotland Leads to a High-Profile Arrest
Nicola Sturgeon's husband, Peter Murrell, being questioned as part of SNP finance investigation
- There were enough complaints about the use—and alleged misuse—of Scottish National Party donations that Police Scotland launched a probe in July 2021. Now, a headline-grabbing development: Former first minister Nicola Sturgeon's husband has been "arrested as a suspect" in that investigation, reports the
. Peter Murrell,...
Has a Successor
Mar 27, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Nicola Sturgeon Has a Successor
Humza Yousaf will succeed her as SNP leader
- Nearly six weeks after Nicola Sturgeon stunned Scotland with her decision to step down as first minister, the Scottish National Party has elected her replacement: Health Secretary Humza Yousaf will take the party's reins, and is virtually assured of being elected the nation's sixth first minister in a...
His Robber Instantly
Mar 11, 2023 5:05 PM CST
Victim Recognized His Robber Instantly
Masked man told his son he was desperate
- A man trying to rob a teenager at an ATM in Scotland didn't recognize his victim right away as he pressed a knife against his neck, but the 17-year-old wasn't fooled by the mask. "Are you serious?" he asked his father. "Do you know who this...
Nicola Sturgeon Stuns With
Feb 15, 2023 7:30 AM CST
Nicola Sturgeon Stuns With Resignation Announcement
She has led Scotland since 2014
- Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon on Wednesday announced her resignation. The move comes amid criticism of her drive to make it easier for people to legally change genders, though the first female leader of Scotland said that the decision to leave was "not a reaction to short-term pressures. ... Of course...
UK Uses 'Nuclear Option' to
Block Scottish Gender Reform
Jan 17, 2023 1:23 PM CST
UK Uses 'Nuclear Option' to Block Scottish Gender Reform
It creates a 'very, very slippery slope,' says Nicola Sturgeon, who promises legal fight
- The UK government has for the first time used the "nuclear option" to block legislation passed by the Scottish parliament, in this case a law that would allow people to self-identify as transgender. The move sets up a court battle over Scotland's right to make its own laws....
Court: Sturgeon Can't Call
Scottish Independence Vote
Nov 23, 2022 4:30 PM CST
Court: Sturgeon Can't Call Scottish Independence Vote
Leader says she'll make the next general election a proxy
- Scotland is not allowed to hold another referendum on independence unless the UK government agrees, the British Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday, and Prime Minister Rishi Sunak opposes the idea. Nevertheless, Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon, who wanted a vote next October, said she respects the ruling—though she's not...
Scots Pick 'Obvious Choice'
in Poll to Name New Museum
Nov 9, 2022 6:50 PM CST
Scots Pick 'Obvious Choice' in Poll to Name New Museum
The museum in Perth will be called Perth Museum
- A museum in Scotland decided to let the public choose its new name—and it isn't going to be Museum McMuseumface. After a period in which the public was invited to submit names and vote on the suggestions, the new museum in Perth will be called Perth Museum, the...
Like the 1%
Nov 7, 2022 12:35 PM CST
Before Her Execution, This Jailed Queen Lived Like the 1%
Newly revealed papers show Mary, Queen of Scots ate like, well, a queen during 19-year imprisonment
- Of all the news hitting us this week, we didn't expect to hear too much about Mary, Queen of Scots. But here we are, finding out that, if the 16th-century monarch imprisoned by her cousin for nearly two decades had had to write a Yelp review of her treatment...
There's a New Most-Tracked
Flight in History
Sep 14, 2022 8:17 AM CDT
There's a New Most-Tracked Flight in History
5M people followed queen's journey home to London, per Flightradar24
- The plane carrying the body of Queen Elizabeth II to her home in London just became the most-tracked flight ever—by a long shot. Five million people tracked the Royal Air Force plane as it flew from Edinburgh, Scotland—about 100 miles south of where the queen died at Balmoral...
Andrew Doesn't Catch a Break
During Funeral Procession
Sep 13, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Andrew Doesn't Catch a Break During Funeral Procession
'You're a sick old man!' spectator yelled out to prince in Edinburgh, shortly before being arrested
- If Prince Andrew thought he was going to get a reprieve from public rebuke with the death of his mother, it didn't happen. Although most spectators who converged Monday upon the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, Scotland, for Queen Elizabeth II's funeral procession were respectful, one man was arrested...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.