Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suspended for a Year
Sep 21, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
America's Oldest Federal Judge Suspended for a Year
Colleagues accuse 96-year-old Pauline Newman of being unfit to serve
- The oldest active federal judge in American history has been suspended amid a clash with colleagues on the court she helped create. The United States Court of Appeal for the Federal Circuit, a relatively obscure court with jurisdiction over areas including patent law and government contract, has barred 96-year-old Judge...
Liberals, Your 'Hero Worship'
of Judges, Others May Backfire
Aug 14, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Liberals, Your 'Hero Worship' of Judges, Others May Backfire
At Politico, Michael Schaffer argues progressives are hurting their own cause in regard to Trump
- Welcome to the state of politics in 2023: You can now buy T-shirts and coffee mugs celebrating the judge in Donald Trump's federal election-interference case. And as Michael Schaffer points out in an opinion piece at
, Judge Tanya Chutkan is far from the only Trump-related public figure...
Trump Pushes to Have
Judge Recuse Herself
Aug 7, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Trump Pushes to Have Judge Recuse Herself
Former president says he can't get a fair trial with Tanya Chutkan
- It's not clear whether his legal team will follow up, but Donald Trump himself is pushing for the judge in his election interference case to recuse herself. In a series of posts on Truth Social over the weekend and into Monday, the former president maintained that US District Court...
Jul 4, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Federal Judge Blocks New Florida Election Rules
Obama appointee calls restrictions unconstitutional
- A federal judge on Monday blocked Florida from enforcing part of a new elections law that bans noncitizens from handling or collecting voter registration forms, saying the state can't restrict individual rights and gave no proof it was necessary to do so. The ruling also blocks a ban on...
Fate Uncertain as
Judges Face Off
Apr 8, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Abortion Pill's Fate Uncertain as Judges Face Off
Texas' Kacsmaryk orders hold on mifepristone access, Washington's Rice orders the opposite
- Access to the most commonly used method of abortion in the US plunged into uncertainty Friday following conflicting court rulings over the legality of the abortion medication mifepristone that has been widely available for more than 20 years. For now, the drug that the Food and Drug Administration approved in...
Mind on Complaint
Against NY AG
Jan 20, 2023 1:07 PM CST
Trump Changes Mind on Complaint Against NY AG
$900K sanction from judge on 'frivolous' lawsuits the day before may have spurred the move
- A complaint filed by Donald Trump against New York Attorney General Letitia James deemed "vexatious" late last year by a federal judge has been withdrawn by the former president's legal team. The Hill reports that the lawsuit was pulled back Friday after Trump and his attorneys were hit...
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Apr 21, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Kentucky's clinics say they aren't ready to comply with new statute
- A federal judge on Thursday temporarily blocked a state law that effectively eliminated abortions in Kentucky after the state's two remaining clinics said they couldn't meet its requirements. The decision by US District Judge Rebecca Grady Jennings was a victory for abortion rights advocates and a setback for...
Judges Reveal Reasons
for Djokovic's Deportation
Jan 20, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Judges Reveal Reasons for Djokovic's Deportation
They backed idea that 'he might foster anti-vaccination sentiment'
- Amid uproar in Serbia , the three Australian judges who allowed Novak Djokovic to be deported from the country on the eve of the Australian Open are now sharing their reasoning: Essentially, they backed the idea that the presence of the top-ranked men's tennis player, unvaccinated against COVID-19, would set...
Roberts: Courts Don't Need
Ethics Help From Congress
Jan 1, 2022 3:05 PM CST
Roberts: Courts Don't Need Ethics Help From Congress
Chief justice says judiciary needs to solve its problems on its own to stay independent
- There have been ethical lapses by federal judges, Chief Justice John Roberts has conceded. And as a workplace, the court system has not been free of discrimination and harassment, the
reports. But he cited the principle of judicial independence in arguing that courts should be left alone to...
At Rioter's Sentencing, Judge
Puts More Blame on Trump
Nov 20, 2021 2:50 PM CST
At Rioter's Sentencing, Judge Puts More Blame on Trump
Mob was lied to about election by 'people who should know better,' Amit Mehta says
- Former President Donald Trump wasn't in a Washington, DC, courtroom when a Capitol rioter was sentenced Friday, but a federal judge brought him into the discussion. "You were a pawn in a game directed and played by people who should know better," Judge Amit Mehta told John...
Issue of a Supreme Court
Vacancy Heats Up on 2 Fronts
Jun 15, 2021 7:53 AM CDT
Issue of a Supreme Court Vacancy Heats Up on 2 Fronts
McConnell's stance on a Biden pick and confirmation of Ketanji Brown Jackson
- In the last 24 hours, the question of whether President Biden will be able to put a judge on the Supreme Court intensified on two fronts. The first came when Mitch McConnell made clear that if Republicans regain control of the Senate next year, he would almost certainly block a...
Jun 10, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
New Federal Judge Is a First for US
Senate confirms Zahid Quraishi, the first Muslim American in the post
- The Senate's confirmation of one of President Biden's court nominations made some history on Thursday. By a vote of 81-16, senators made Zahid Quaraishi the first Muslim to hold a US federal judgeship, reports CNN . "This is an extraordinary moment, and I'm glad this is a...
Mar 30, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
How Biden's First Judicial Nominees Differ From Trump's
There aren't so many white guys, for starters
- President Biden on Tuesday announced his intent to nominate a "trailblazing slate" of judicial nominees, a field that includes Black, Muslim American, and Asian American Pacific Islander candidates for federal courts and for the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, per the AP . The White House said the...
Judge Whose Son
Was Gunned Down
in case you missed it
Feb 21, 2021 7:41 AM CST
Judge Whose Son Was Gunned Down Makes Chilling Revelation
Esther Salas says killer Roy Den Hollander also had his sights set on SCOTUS' Sonia Sotomayor
- Last July, Daniel Anderl, the 20-year-old son of US District Court Judge Esther Salas, was murdered at their North Brunswick, NJ, home by Roy Den Hollander, a lawyer who'd posed as a FedEx deliveryman. Now, in a
episode set to air in full Sunday on CBS, Salas...
Son Was Shot
His Last Words
Aug 3, 2020 11:17 AM CDT
Judge Whose Son Was Shot Dead Reveals His Last Words
NJ's Esther Salas details Daniel Anderl's final moments at hands of 'monster'
- "Two weeks ago, my life as I knew it changed in an instant, and my family will never be the same." So starts an emotional nine-minute video released Monday by US District Judge Esther Salas, whose 20-year-old son, Daniel Anderl, her only child with husband Mark Anderl, was...
Is Suspect in Killing
of Judge's Son
Jul 20, 2020 6:15 PM CDT
'Anti-Feminist' Lawyer Is Suspect in Killing of Judge's Son
Roy Den Hollander was found dead in his car
- A lawyer who described himself as an "anti-feminist attorney" has been identified as the suspect in the murder of the son of a New Jersey federal judge. Sources tell the AP that Roy Den Hollander, 72, was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his vehicle in upstate...
Lawyer Suspected of Killing
Judge's Son Found Dead
Jul 20, 2020 3:33 PM CDT
Lawyer Suspected of Killing Judge's Son Found Dead
'There's a pretty good level of confidence he's the guy'
- A man suspected of killing the son of a New Jersey federal judge and seriously injuring her husband in a Sunday afternoon shooting has been found dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound, law enforcement officials say. A law enforcement source tells the
New York Times
the body of a...
Judge on Roger Stone Demand
That She Disqualify Herself: No
Feb 24, 2020 6:21 AM CST
Judge on Roger Stone Demand That She Disqualify Herself: No
His lawyers argued that Jackson is biased
- The judge overseeing Roger Stone's case has firmly rejected his defense team's demand that she step aside because of alleged bias. US District Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who sentenced the Trump ally to 40 months in prison last week, dismissed the motion to disqualify her as a publicity...
Heat on Barr
Feb 18, 2020 10:45 AM CST
Heat on Barr Grows as Judges Call Special Meeting
National association of federal judges is worried about intervention in political cases
- The pressure continues to be turned up on Attorney General William Barr. The independent Federal Judges Association is convening an emergency meeting Tuesday to address concerns about how the Justice Department and President Trump have intervened in high-profile political cases, reports
. (Two recent examples were the cases of...
Roger Stone Apologizes for
'Improper' Photo of Judge
Feb 19, 2019 1:52 AM CST
Roger Stone Apologizes for 'Improper' Photo of Judge
'I had no intention of disrespecting the court,' he says
- Roger Stone issued a formal apology in a court filing Monday after posting an "improper photo" of a federal judge on Instagram. The longtime friend of President Trump posted, then deleted a photo of the judge overseeing the case against him earlier Monday with what appeared to be crosshairs...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.