Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Longtime Sidekick Dies
Nov 28, 2023 5:42 PM CST
Warren Buffett's Longtime Sidekick Dies
Charlie Munger was a month away from turning 100
- Charlie Munger, who helped Warren Buffett build Berkshire Hathaway into an investment powerhouse, has died at a California hospital. He was 99. Berkshire Hathaway said in a statement that Munger's family told the company that he died Tuesday morning at the hospital just over a month before his 100th...
2 Men's Stock Moves
Aug 16, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
2 Men's Stock Moves Raise Eyebrows
Michael Burry, Warren Buffett may be betting on a downturn
- Do Michael Burry of
fame and Warren Buffett see something we don't? That's the question CNN and others are asking based on SEC filings released Monday. In late June, Burry's Scion Asset Management fund purchased $866 million in put options against a fund that tracks...
Investment Book Fizzled in '91.
Today, It's a Cult Classic
May 20, 2023 8:31 AM CDT
Investment Book Fizzled in '91. Today, It's a Cult Classic
Copies of hedge fund manager Seth Klarman's 'Margin of Safety' sell for thousands
- The relatively few people who shelled out $25 for a copy of Seth Klarman's investment book
Margin of Safety
in 1991 were actually making a wise investment at the time—they just didn't know it. As the
Wall Street Journal
reports, the book flopped, with only 5,000...
Feb 25, 2023 1:40 PM CST
Buffett Rips Criticism of Buybacks
Berkshire Hathaway posts quarterly drop in operating profit
- Operating earnings are the best way to assess profitability, Warren Buffett says. On Saturday, Berkshire Hathaway released results showing operating profit for the fourth quarter of 2022 was $6.7 billion, almost 8% off third-quarter earnings of $7.8 billion, CNN reports. All told, earnings fell 125% for a loss...
Nov 5, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Berkshire Posts Quarterly Loss
Operating profits climb though results were hurt by rising fuel costs, Hurricane Ian
- Despite a strong performance by its businesses in several sectors, Berkshire Hathaway posted a third-quarter loss on Saturday. Warren Buffett's conglomerate announced a net loss of $2.69 billion, the
Wall Street Journal
reports, following a $10.34 billion profit in the same period last year. Operating earnings, on...
Aug 6, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Berkshire Hathaway Posts $43B Loss
Buffett's operation feels drop in stock prices
- Berkshire Hathaway reported a $43.8 billion second-quarter loss on Saturday, largely driven by the drop in the stock prices of its biggest investments. In the same period last year, Warren Buffett's operation posted a profit of $28.1 billion, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Still, Berkshire managed to...
Jul 13, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Gates Plans $20B Infusion for Foundation
'The great crises of our time' require everyone to do more, co-founder says
- Bill Gates sees a multitude of problems in the world that need to be addressed, so he's setting out a plan for his foundation to tackle many of them—and kicking in $20 billion this month to fund the effort. The co-founder of Microsoft issued a statement Wednesday saying...
Tab for Buffett's
Jun 18, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Tab for Buffett's Last Charity Lunch: $19M
'It's been nothing but good,' Berkshire Hathaway chairman says of fundraiser
- The cost of lunch with Warren Buffett has gone way up. An unidentified bidder won a sit-down with the Berkshire Hathaway chairman at a New York City steakhouse on eBay, for a record $19 million. The money goes to a charity, Glide, that provides meals, health care and legal aid...
Apr 30, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Berkshire Shareholders Receive Update in Person
Buffett discusses new investments, inflation
- Thousands of Berkshire Hathaway shareholders returned in person Saturday for their annual meeting heard Warren Buffett update them about investments and rail about the widespread harm inflation is doing. The pandemic had prevented the gathering in Omaha for the past two years. After earlier saying that inflation "swindles" equity...
Meet the 10 Richest
People in the World
Apr 5, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Meet the 10 Richest People in the World
You know many of them already, including Elon Musk at No. 1, per 'Forbes' annual billionaires ranking
is trying to make us feel bad for the world's billionaires, it's not really working. The magazine notes that, collectively, this group is now worth $400 billion less than they were a year ago, thanks to the ongoing pandemic, tepid markets, and war—but 1,000...
Pay Off for
Feb 26, 2022 3:55 PM CST
Buybacks Pay Off for Buffett, Berkshire
Apple investment is working out, too, annual letter to shareholders says
- Warren Buffett has made plenty of major acquisitions, but he told shareholders Saturday that he hasn't run across any exciting big deals lately. So he and Vice Chairman Charlie Munger have been putting Berkshire Hathaway's cash to use buying back company shares, he told shareholders in his annual...
Warren Buffett Resigns
From Gates Foundation
Jun 23, 2021 12:24 PM CDT
Warren Buffett Resigns From Gates Foundation
The other two trustees are getting divorced
- Warren Buffett resigned Wednesday as trustee of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which says it will announce plans in July to answer questions raised about its leadership structure as it deals with the divorce of its two founders . The announcement comes weeks after Bill and Melinda Gates revealed that...
ProPublica Gets Tax Details
on the Richest of the Rich
Jun 8, 2021 12:46 PM CDT
ProPublica Gets Tax Details on the Richest of the Rich
And finds that they pay a tiny fraction of their wealth in taxes
- The richest Americans might complain about the federal government's tax bite, but an investigation by ProPublica reveals a compelling counterpoint. The very rich pay only a "tiny fraction" of their wealth in federal income taxes. And that's in stark contrast to Americans who live paycheck to paycheck,...
May 3, 2021 5:29 PM CDT
Buffett Makes Successor Known
Greg Abel is next up to run Berkshire Hathaway, followed by Ajit Jain
- Warren Buffett said Monday that he's chosen his successor from his vice chairmen, though he didn't say anything about retiring. Greg Abel, 58, who's already in charge of Berkshire Hathaway's noninsurance business, would become chief executive, CNBC reports. Next in line is Ajit Jain, 69, who...
It's Warren Buffett
May 3, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
It's Warren Buffett vs. Robinhood
Old guard of investing criticizes day trading company, which fires back
- Warren Buffett and his Berkshire Hathaway lieutenant Charlie Munger have a combined age of 187. And they made clear over the weekend that they're not fans of day trading upstart Robinhood , which caters to millennials, reports CNBC . The company has "become a very significant part of the casino...
Guy to Join
Mar 11, 2021 8:23 AM CST
Warren Buffett Becomes 6th Guy to Join Elite Group
Berkshire Hathaway chair can now claim $100B to his name
- Tired: becoming a billionaire. Wired: entering the $100 billion club. Now in the latter category is Warren Buffett, who on Wednesday joined an elite group of five—Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, and LVMH Chair Bernard Arnault—who've been able to claim that benchmark amount in...
but Puts Money
Feb 27, 2021 2:10 PM CST
Famed Investor Lists Concerns but Puts Money on America
Buffett: Progress in creating a more perfect nation often has been discouraging
- Warren Buffett has been unusually quiet during the pandemic, but he's kept his annual appointment with his shareholders. The chairman and chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway released his closely watched assessment Saturday, Axios reports. On many fronts, Buffett expressed frustration in the letter . The nation still holds onto its...
There's a New
in the World
Jan 7, 2021 3:33 PM CST
There's a New Richest Person in the World
Tesla CEO moves a billion past Jeff Bezos
- The skyrocketing price of Tesla shares pushed Elon Musk's wealth past that of Jeff Bezos on Thursday, crowning a new richest person in the world. Musk is now listed as being worth $185 billion, a billion more than Amazon's Bezos, CNBC reports. It's not exactly a rags-to-riches...
Investor Makes $12B on
Biggest Software IPO Ever
Sep 17, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Investor Makes $12B on Biggest Software IPO Ever
Snowflake has a massive debut
- If you're hearing the word "snowflake" a lot today, it has nothing to do with politics. Snowflake the tech company is coming off the largest software IPO in history on Wednesday, reports CNN . The company priced its shares for the initial public offering at $120, but they opened...
Has Gone 'Broke'
Sep 17, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
'James Bond of Philanthropy' Has Gone 'Broke'
Billionaire Chuck Feeney inspired Warren Buffett's giving
- Chuck Feeney made billions after co-founding airport retailer Duty Free Shoppers in 1960. He's been "living a life of monklike frugality" ever since, according to
, which reports the world is better for it. The "James Bond of philanthropy" has anonymously donated more than $8 billion to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.