Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
The Run for the Roses Is Off
Mar 17, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
The Run for the Roses Is Off
Coronavirus outbreak expected to delay Kentucky Derby until September
- This year will be the first since 1945 that the Kentucky Derby hasn't taken place on the first Saturday in May. Officials confirmed Monday that to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, the race will be postponed for the first time since World War II, when restrictions on horse...
Now It's the Jockey's
Turn to Get Punished
May 13, 2019 1:07 PM CDT
Now It's the Jockey's Turn to Get Punished
Kentucky horse officials suspend him for 15 race days
- The jockey who rode Maximum Security into infamy at the Kentucky Derby has now been suspended, the
reports. The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission on Sunday suspended Luis Saez for 15 race days, citing "failure to controI his mount" or "maintain a straight course thereby causing interference with...
Jockey's Lawyers Say
May 10, 2019 5:25 PM CDT
Video Clears Disqualified Winner, Jockey's Lawyers Say
Racing commission watches film with riders
- Video evidence shows jockey Luis Saez wasn't to blame for Maximum Security's disqualification in the Kentucky Derby, the jockey's lawyers say. They turned the video over to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission on Friday, the
reports. In fact, an attorney for Saez says it shows...
One More Bit of Bad News
for Horse Racing Fans
May 7, 2019 12:38 PM CDT
One More Bit of Bad News for Horse Racing Fans
No chance of Triple Crown: Derby winner Country House won't run in Preakness
- The odds of a Triple Crown winner sank considerably when Maximum Security was disqualified at the Kentucky Derby. Now, they've disappeared entirely. Derby winner Country House—named the winner after the disqualification—will not run in the Preakness, reports the Daily Racing Form . It quotes trainer Bill Mott as...
Owner of Disqualified Horse
Plans to Appeal
May 6, 2019 1:06 PM CDT
Owner of Disqualified Horse Plans to Appeal
And Maximum Security won't race at the Preakness, either
- The owner of the horse who was disqualified after finishing first in the Kentucky Derby thinks he got robbed—and he plans to appeal the decision with the state racing commission. "We were stunned, shocked, and in total disbelief," Gary West, owner of Maximum Security, tells NBC News...
Trump Calls Derby Decision
May 5, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
Trump Calls Derby Decision 'Political Correctness'
Best horse didn't win, president's tweet says
- "The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby," President Trump tweeted Sunday in criticizing the decision to disqualify the apparent winner, the
reports. Country House was declared the official winner after Maximum Security was disqualified for impeding other horses. "It was a rough and...
Bettors Take $9M Bath
After Kentucky Derby Mess
May 5, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Bettors Take $9M Bath After Kentucky Derby Mess
$10 refunds to ease losses on Maximum Security
- The Kentucky Derby's decision to name a horse that didn't cross the finish line first the winner hit bettors hard, ESPN reports. Maximum Security finished ahead of the field but was disqualified for interfering with other horses Saturday, which made 65-1 long-shot Country House the official winner. The...
This Has Never Happened
in the Kentucky Derby
May 4, 2019 6:28 PM CDT
This Has Never Happened in the Kentucky Derby
First-place finisher is disqualified, giving victory to Country House
- For the first time in Kentucky Derby history, the horse that crossed the finish line first was disqualified, reports NBC News . As a result, a 65-1 long shot named Country House is the winner. Maximum Security led the entire race and finished first, more than a length ahead of Country...
Kentucky Derby Favorite
Just Dropped Out
May 2, 2019 5:55 AM CDT
Kentucky Derby Favorite Just Dropped Out
Omaha Beach is scratched because of a breathing problem
- Suddenly, the Kentucky Derby is wide open. Favorite Omaha Beach was scratched because of a breathing problem Wednesday night, leaving a pair of Hall of Famers—trainer Richard Mandella and jockey Mike Smith—on the sideline. Churchill Downs oddsmaker Mike Battaglia revised the morning line to make Game Winner the...
Winning Derby Bet
Is 'Unheard Of'
May 7, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Texas Woman's Winning Derby Bet Is 'Unheard Of'
Margaret Reid called 5 races in a row
- Justify's owners walked away with $1.43 million after the colt won the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, reports the AP . A woman in Austin, Texas, who picked him to win ended up with just a hair less—$1.2 million. Her incredible bet cost her just $18 and involved...
Justify Wins Sloppy
May 5, 2018 6:18 PM CDT
Justify Wins Sloppy Kentucky Derby
Bob Baffert wins again at Churchill Downs
- It was a slog through three inches of rain that fell at Churchill Downs on Saturday, but Bob Baffert-trained colt Justify had the first nose across the finish line at the Run for the Roses, reports the
Washington Post .
Justify won by 2 1/2 lengths and is now the first...
Always Dreaming Wins
Kentucky Derby in Slop
May 6, 2017 6:19 PM CDT
Always Dreaming Wins Kentucky Derby in Slop
Win gives trainer Todd Pletcher his second Derby win
- Always Dreaming has won the 143rd Kentucky Derby, pulling away from Lookin at Lee in the slop. Race officials confirmed the win minutes after Always Dreaming crossed the finish line first at Churchill Downs. The win gives trainer Todd Pletcher his second Derby win. Battle of Midway finished third in...
Root for Patch, the Kentucky
Derby's One-Eyed Horse
May 5, 2017 4:24 PM CDT
Root for Patch, the Kentucky Derby's One-Eyed Horse
But don't necessarily bet on him
- Don't know who to root for in Saturday's Kentucky Derby? Meet Patch, the one-eyed horse and the race's "lovable underdog." ABC News reports Patch—the fourth one-eyed horse to run the Kentucky Derby—is becoming a fan favorite. ESPN's Jeannine Edwards says Patch, who...
for a Hockey Player
Wins Kentucky Derby
May 7, 2016 6:11 PM CDT
Horse Named for a Hockey Player Wins Kentucky Derby
Nyquist remains undefeated
- Nyquist won the Kentucky Derby Saturday, and given that he's now undefeated in eight races, expect the chatter to heat up about a possible second consecutive Triple Crown year. Nyquist had been the big favorite, and he didn't disappoint, storming into the lead on the turn for home...
Favorite Wins Again:
American Pharoah Takes Derby
May 2, 2015 5:53 PM CDT
Favorite Wins Again: American Pharoah Takes Derby
That's 3 straight years
- No upsets at Churchill Downs today, again: Favorite American Pharoah won the 141st Kentucky Derby, reports AP . Jockey Victor Espinoza, who won last year's derby as well, rode the horse for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert. This marks the third straight year the favorite has won, following Orb...
Owner: Tonalist Took
'Coward's Way Out'
Jun 8, 2014 8:38 AM CDT
California Chrome Owner: Tonalist Took 'Coward's Way Out'
Horses shouldn't be allowed to crash Belmont with fresh legs, says Steve Coburn
- Let us just say that California Chrome's co-owner isn't taking his pony's lost Triple Crown bid lightly or gracefully. Immediately after his colt placed fourth in yesterday's Belmont Stakes , Steve Coburn blasted Tonalist as having taken "the coward's way out" to victory—that is,...
Will Run After All
May 19, 2014 10:47 AM CDT
California Chrome Will Run After All
NY Racing Association OKs colt's nasal strip
- California Chrome will indeed make his run—nasal strip and all—to be the first Triple Crown winner in 36 years, reports ESPN . The New York Racing Association said today it would allow the winner of the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes to also use the strip in the Belmont...
May 18, 2014 1:20 PM CDT
Triple Crown Bid's Undoing: Nasal Strip?
New York has blocked previous horses from using nasal strips
- California Chrome might abandon his Triple Crown bid if New York officials do not allow the colt to wear a nasal strip in the Belmont Stakes, said trainer Art Sherman today. "I'd have to leave it up to the owners. I know they'll be upset." The...
May 3, 2014 5:42 PM CDT
California Chrome Wins Derby
Favorite pulls away for easy win
- No upsets today: Favorite California Chrome easily won today's Kentucky Derby, taking the first step toward ending a 36-year Triple Crown champion drought. Jockey Victor Espinoza pulled away down the stretch for the comfortable win in the 140th running of the race. Taking charge at the top of the...
Riding for History
at Kentucky Derby
May 3, 2014 1:07 PM CDT
Female Jockey Riding for History at Kentucky Derby
Rosie Napravnik aims to become first woman to win
- She started out her career disguising her gender, riding under the initials AR Napravnik. In the male-dominated world of horse racing, Anna Rose Napravnik figured she'd have better luck if nobody noticed a woman's name in the track program. Nine years later, Rosie Napravnik is one of the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.