Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
colleges and universities
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here Are the
10 Best Colleges in the US
Sep 8, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best Colleges in the US
Princeton University is No. 1, per new 'WSJ'/College Pulse rankings
Wall Street Journal
is out with its annual college rankings , prepared in conjunction this year with College Pulse, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, an Ivy League takes the top spot. Princeton University is No. 1, and the
says that instructors, a rigorous curriculum, and ample resources all play a part...
Some Parents Pay Thousands
for Sorority Rush Consultants
Jul 30, 2023 8:05 AM CDT
Some Parents Pay Thousands for Sorority Rush Consultants
Mentorship includes practical guidance as well as advice about complex social interactions
- Kids enter college thinking they've begun their adult lives—but they often still need help from mom and dad. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that for some parents, helping means spending thousands on consultants who can guide their daughters through the increasingly competitive process of getting into a sorority....
DOE Looking Into How
Harvard Admits Students
Jul 26, 2023 8:25 AM CDT
DOE Looking Into How Harvard Admits Students
Harvard's legacy, donor admissions in the spotlight after SCOTUS ruling on affirmative action
- A landmark ruling last month by the US Supreme Court struck a blow against using affirmative action in college admissions, and soon after that decision, murmurs began intensifying on an adjacent controversy—legacy and donor admissions. Now, one of the Ivy Leagues is under the microscope over the practice: The...
on College Campuses
Now Offer Plan B
Jul 3, 2023 8:13 AM CDT
Vending Machines on College Campuses Now Offer Plan B
They're a push post-Roe to ensure college students have access to affordable, discreet contraception
- Need Plan B? Tap your credit card and enter "B6." Since last November, a library at the University of Washington has featured a different kind of vending machine, one that's become more popular on campuses around the country since the US Supreme Court ended constitutional protections for...
Landmark Ruling Delivers
Blow to Affirmative Action
Jun 29, 2023 9:39 AM CDT
Landmark Ruling Delivers Blow to Affirmative Action
Supreme Court rules against race-based admissions policies at colleges
- The Supreme Court delivered a landmark ruling on Thursday against affirmative action, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. In a 6-3 ruling that split along the court's usual ideological lines, the justices struck down admissions policies that took race into account at Harvard and the University of North Carolina, per...
May 15, 2023 3:01 PM CDT
DeSantis Makes Big Move on Colleges
Bars diversity, equity, and inclusion programs in Florida, tells complainers to go to Berkeley
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis continued his campaign on Monday against what he views as "woke" ideology in the education system. The governor and presumptive 2024 presidential candidate signed into law a measure that prohibits the state's public colleges and universities from spending money on what are known as...
May 6, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Student Who Broke Scholarship Record Makes College Pick
Dennis Barnes, who got 180-plus acceptance letters, $10M in scholarships, selects Cornell
- Dennis Barnes is headed to Cornell. The New Orleans high school senior, who has received more than 180 college acceptance letters and upward of $10 million in scholarship funding, announced on Friday he'll be attending the Ivy League school in Ithaca, New York, in the fall, reports NOLA.com...
Vanishing From US Colleges:
Majors in English
Mar 5, 2023 10:35 AM CST
Vanishing From US Colleges: Majors in English
'New Yorker' explores plunging enrollments in the humanities at universities
- The headline is stark: "The End of the English Major." But after reading Nathan Heller's deep dive in the
into the state of the humanities at US colleges and universities, it doesn't seem like too much of an overstatement. Stats tell a big part...
Columbia University Makes
a Big Move on the SATs
Mar 4, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Columbia University Makes a Big Move on the SATs
Ivy League school announces it's keeping its test-optional policy without time limits for admissions
- During the peak of the pandemic, many schools around the nation, including Ivy Leagues, suspended their requirements that applicants submit SAT and ACT scores to be considered for admission. Now, one Ivy League might be making that move permanent. NBC New York reports that Manhattan's Columbia University is now...
Art Pulled From
Feb 22, 2023 7:59 AM CST
College Wanted Art Pulled From Diversity Exhibit, Group Refused
Now entire display is yanked from State College of Florida over complaints about 3 pieces of art
- For two decades, the Florida nonprofit Embracing Our Differences has hosted an annual outdoor art show in Sarasota, attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. This time around, however, the group is yanking its entire display from one of the venues, the State College of Florida, after school officials...
Feds: $100M Scheme Sought
to License Untrained Nurses
Jan 27, 2023 2:10 PM CST
Feds: $100M Scheme Sought to License Untrained Nurses
More than 7.6K fake diplomas allegedly issued over 5 years in South Florida
- "There are over 7,600 people around the country with fraudulent nursing credentials who are potentially in critical health care roles treating patients," FBI Miami Special Agent in Charge Chad Yarbrough said this week. His warning came as the Justice Department announced charges related to three accredited nursing...
This University Has the Most
Jan 15, 2023 10:45 AM CST
This University Has the Most Stressed-Out Students
Berkeley fares the worst in new assessment
- UC Berkeley is known as a "workaholic" school, according to the online learning platform Preply , and that may explain why the university's students appear to be the most stressed-out in the nation. Preply analyzed student tweets from college towns during the fall semester and assessed them for stress...
for Experiments on Prisoners
Dec 24, 2022 5:30 AM CST
University Apologizes for Experiments on Prisoners
UCSF conducted the dermatology experiments in the 1960s and '70s
- A prominent California medical school has apologized for conducting dozens of unethical medical experiments on at least 2,600 incarcerated men in the 1960s and 1970s, including putting pesticides and herbicides on the men's skin and injecting it into their veins, per the AP . Two dermatologists at the University...
Hackers to College Students:
'For You, It's a Sad Day'
Dec 20, 2022 3:27 PM CST
Hackers to College Students: 'For You, It's a Sad Day'
Knox College's ransomware attack represents 'escalation in the extortion market'
- Ransomware attacks against educational institutions are on the rise, with Illinois' Knox College becoming the latest victim. But as NBC News reports, this attack is unique as it "marks the first known case in which hackers used their access to contact students directly in order to intimidate them."...
Dramatic Tuition Cuts
Expose a Pricing 'Feint'
Dec 15, 2022 7:20 PM CST
Dramatic Tuition Cuts Expose a Pricing 'Feint'
Almost nobody pays the full price, reports 'New York Times'
- Those applying to college over the next few months may notice many private institutions have slashed tuition fees amid the rising cost of living and growing skepticism about whether a degree is worth the cost. But as the
New York Times
reports, there's more to the price cut than...
Take Another Hit
Nov 17, 2022 9:50 AM CST
College Rankings Take Another Hit
Deans of Harvard, Yale law schools cite issues with magazine's methodology, will no longer participate
- Harvard and Yale consistently show up in college ranking top 10 lists, but there's one notable list their law schools won't be cooperating with in the future. The heads of those schools at the two elite universities announced Wednesday they'll no longer be willing participants in the...
These Are the Top 10
US Colleges and Universities
Oct 17, 2022 12:01 PM CDT
These Are the Top 10 US Colleges and Universities
MIT tops WalletHub's list
- Where to go to college is among the biggest decisions we make, affecting not only our future in general, but also our wallets (or our parents' wallets). WalletHub wanted to see which colleges and universities proved the best-performing options at the lowest cost for undergrads, analyzing the data on 900-plus...
College Puts 'Stake in the
Ground' on Abortion Access
Oct 7, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
College Puts 'Stake in the Ground' on Abortion Access
Private women's college Barnard will offer abortion pills to students beginning Sept. 2023
- Barnard College says it will begin offering abortion pills to its students beginning in September 2023. The private women's college in Manhattan, which operates in partnership with Columbia University, made the announcement Thursday, saying it was preparing in case roadblocks were erected to abortion access in New York. "...
Columbia Falls Hard Amid
'Shoddy' Rankings Controversy
Sep 13, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Columbia Falls Hard Amid 'Shoddy' Rankings Controversy
Ivy League school drops from No. 2 to No. 18 on 'US News' list that critics say is easily manipulated
US News & World Report
's annual college rankings dropped on Monday, and one university in particular dropped significantly: New York City's Columbia, which fell from the No. 2 spot it held last year to No. 18—back to a spot it hadn't seen in more than 30...
Here Are the Best, Worst
Colleges for Free Speech
Sep 8, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst Colleges for Free Speech
Per Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, 3 Ivy League schools are in bottom 10
- Students usually head off to college excited to open their minds, on campuses where academic freedom is said to be valued and the exchange of ideas paramount. However, per Greg Lukianoff, CEO of the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, free speech "has gotten far worse in the last...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Man Allegedly Killed Neighbor's Son Over Tree Trimming
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.