Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Parliament Votes to Outlaw
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 10, 2022 12:55 PM CST
Parliament Votes to Outlaw Extramarital Affairs
Human rights organizations and Indonesian business groups worry about the fallout
- Indonesian lawmakers on Tuesday voted to criminalize adultery. Parliament unanimously approved the penal code revision, which must still be signed by the president and will then take effect sometime in the next three years, the AP reports. "(The new Criminal Code) has a lot of implementing regulations that must...
Eruption Sends Rivers
of Lava Down Mt. Semeru
Dec 4, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Eruption Sends Rivers of Lava Down Mt. Semeru
Indonesian villagers flee falling ash, move into shelters
- Indonesia's highest volcano on its most densely populated island released searing gas clouds and rivers of lava on Sunday in its latest eruption. Monsoon rains eroded and finally collapsed the lava dome atop 12,060-foot Mt. Semeru, causing the eruption, said a spokesman for the National Disaster Management Agency....
Biden: 'There Need Not
Be a New Cold War'
Nov 14, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Biden: 'There Need Not Be a New Cold War'
President meets with China's Xi Jinping
- President Biden had his first face-to-face meeting as president with China's Xi Jinping on Monday, and he sounded an optimistic tone afterward. "I absolutely believe there need not be a new Cold War," he said after the sit-down in Bali, Indonesia, per the AP . "I'...
Putin to Skip
'Saves Him the
Nov 10, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Putin to Skip G20 Summit: 'Saves Him the Embarrassment'
Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky to attend events in Bali as virtual guest
- Vladimir Putin will be missing from the G20 summit next week amid a series of setbacks for Russia in its war in Ukraine—though he might appear via video. That's according to officials at the Russian Embassy in Indonesia, where leaders of the world's 20 largest economies will...
First They Found Her Sandals,
Then a Bloated Snake
in case you missed it
Oct 30, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
First They Found Her Sandals, Then a Bloated Snake
Woman in Indonesia set out for work at a rubber plantation, didn't return home
- It's an occurrence so chilling and rare that it's being reported around the globe: An Indonesian woman apparently lost her life to a python, with local reports confirming her body was found in the snake's stomach. The
reports a woman identified as Jahrah, 54, left for...
Soccer Stampede Leaves
at Least 125 Dead
Oct 2, 2022 4:55 AM CDT
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
Indonesia riot results in one of the deadliest sports events ever
Update: The death toll has been revised from 174 to 125 after authorities realized some victims were counted twice.)
Panic and a chaotic run for exits after police fired tear gas at an Indonesian soccer match left at least 125 dead, most of whom were trampled upon or suffocated,...
Milley Sees China Becoming
More Threatening in Pacific
Jul 24, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Milley Sees China Becoming More Threatening in Pacific
Joint Chiefs chairman meets with region's defense leaders
- The Chinese military has become more aggressive and dangerous over the past five years, the top US military officer said during a trip to the Indo-Pacific that included a stop Sunday in Indonesia. Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that the number of intercepts by...
Tied to $7.2M
COVID Relief Plot
Jun 8, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Authorities: Japanese Fugitive Tied to $7.2M COVID Relief Plot
Mitsuhiro Taniguchi is now in custody in Indonesia and set to be deported
- For a week or two, Mitsuhiro Taniguchi was holed up in the home of an Indonesian fish trader, trying to convince him of his plan to invest in local fisheries. That won't be happening now, though, as he's been nabbed by authorities over the money he was perhaps...
Die in Traps
Apr 26, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
3 Endangered Sumatran Tigers Die in Traps
They represent almost 1% of the estimated population
- Three endangered Sumatran tigers have been found dead, dealing a blow to a population thought to number around 400. Conservation officials discovered the bodies of a male and female tiger, whose legs were ensnared in a trap, in Aceh, at the northern tip of Indonesia's Sumatra island, on Sunday....
'Momentous Occasion' for One
of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Mar 31, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
'Momentous Occasion' for One of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Indonesia's captive breeding program spawns new Sumatran rhino
- Indonesia has just welcomed a bundle of joy in the form of one of the rarest mammals on Earth. A Sumatran rhino was born March 24 in a sanctuary to a mother that had suffered eight miscarriages since she was captured in the wild in 2005 as part of a...
This Crocodile Got Its
Brave but Good Samaritan
Feb 8, 2022 4:22 PM CST
This Crocodile Got Its Brave but Good Samaritan
Reptile stuck in tire since 2016 is freed
A crocodile that has been cursed with a tire around its neck since 2016 is finally free, thanks to a 34-year-old Indonesian man named Tili. He used chicken bait and nylon ropes to wrangle the animal on Monday with the help of dozens of locals who helped cut the...
Name for Its New Capital
Jan 18, 2022 2:40 PM CST
Indonesia Chooses Name for Its New Capital
So long, Jakarta
If memorizing capitals is among your pastimes, here's a new one for you: Nusantara. That's the name that will grace Indonesia's new capital, which is set to take shape somewhere around 2024. It will replace the current government seat, Jakarta, areas of which are sinking at...
After Eruption, Search
Continues for Survivors
Dec 6, 2021 7:00 AM CST
After Eruption, Search Continues for Survivors
Death toll from Mt. Semeru in Indonesia rises to 15, but more are missing
- It's one of the most active volcanoes in a nation known for them, and the eruption that began Saturday on Mt. Semeru in Indonesia isn't over yet. Details:
The death toll in East Java province rose to 15 on Monday, but at least 27 are missing, reports CNN
Java Volcano Has Now Killed
At Least 13
Dec 5, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Java Volcano Has Now Killed At Least 13
Indonesian officials say others still missing
- The death toll following the eruption of the highest volcano on Indonesia’s most densely populated island of Java has risen to 13, with seven people still missing, officials said Sunday as smoldering debris and thick mud hampered search efforts. Mount Semeru in Lumajang district in East Java province spewed...
'Suitcase Killer' Arrested
After Flying Back to US
Nov 3, 2021 6:17 PM CDT
'Suitcase Killer' Arrested After Flying Back to US
Heather Mack faces federal charges in connection with mother's murder
- After seven years in an Indonesian prison, Heather Mack returned home to Chicago Wednesday—and was promptly arrested. The 26-year-old, who was released early from a 10-year sentence for helping then-boyfriend Tommy Schaefer kill her mother in Bali in 2014, now faces federal charges in the US connected to the...
US Woman in Bali
Oct 29, 2021 12:34 AM CDT
US Woman in Bali 'Suitcase Murder' Walks Free
Heather Mack of Chicago was arrested for helping her boyfriend kill her mother
The Chicago woman who, along with her then-boyfriend, murdered her mother on Bali in 2014 and stuffed her body in a suitcase walked free Friday after serving seven years of a 10-year sentence, the AP reports. Heather Mack, now 26, was escorted through a crush of reporters outside the...
She Came to US to Work for
a Diplomat. It Was a Nightmare
Oct 23, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
She Came to US to Work for a Diplomat. It Was a Nightmare
Inside one domestic worker's allegations
- It was a chance meeting at a gas station that can only be described as incredible: Sri Yatun had been living in Los Angeles where she worked as the housekeeper, cook, and nanny for an Indonesian consular official and her husband. What she had been promised when she left her...
Students Participating in a
River Cleanup Drown
Oct 16, 2021 11:33 AM CDT
Students Participating in a River Cleanup Drown
Eleven teens were killed; none were wearing floatation devices
- A student outing to clean up a river in Indonesia turned tragic Friday. Of the 150 kids picking up debris along the banks of the Cileueur River, 21 were swept away. Ten were rescued but 11 were found later, drowned. Flash floods are common in the rainy season, but that...
6 Bigwigs Found
Sep 16, 2021 8:09 AM CDT
Indonesian PM, 6 Bigwigs Found 'Negligent' on Air Pollution
Court orders Joko Widodo, 6 other top officials to improve air quality in Jakarta
- An Indonesian court ruled Thursday that President Joko Widodo and six other top officials have neglected citizens' rights to clean air and ordered them to improve the poor air quality in the current capital of Jakarta. A three-judge panel at the Central Jakarta District Court notched a victory for a...
Indonesian Army Says It's
Ending Controversial Practice
Aug 15, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Indonesian Army Says It's Ending Controversial Practice
No more 'virginity tests' for female recruits
- The Indonesian Army has announced an end to the controversial practice of subjecting female recruits to so-called 'virginity tests.' Per the
New York Times
, the country's army chief Gen. Andika Perkasa said in an interview there would be "no more vaginal and cervix examinations," on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.