Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman Gets 2 Years for
Eating Pork in TikTok Video
Sep 22, 2023 4:38 AM CDT
Woman Gets 2 Years for Eating Pork in TikTok Video
Indonesian woman found guilty of blasphemy
- A court in Indonesia has convicted a woman of inciting religious hatred and sentenced her to two years in prison for saying a Muslim prayer and then eating pork—considered forbidden in Islam—in a TikTok video. Judges at Palembang court in South Sumatra province also ordered Lina Lutfiawati to...
Surfers Found Safe,
on Surfboards, After
38 Hours Lost at Sea
Aug 16, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Surfers Found Safe, on Surfboards, After 38 Hours Lost at Sea
Along with 2 of the 3 crew members on their boat
- Four Australian tourists and two Indonesian crew members have been rescued after 38 hours adrift in a remote part of the ocean off the coast of Indonesia. The Australians were part of a larger group, 17 members total including crew members, that launched Sunday in two boats headed from the...
Pro Surfer Dies in
Jul 11, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
Pro Surfer Dies in Freak Accident With Board
Hawaii native Mikala Jones was 'arguably one of the most barreled surfers on the planet'
- An American professional surfer who became famous for taking cameras and viewers inside barrel waves has died in a freak surfing accident. Mikala Jones, 44, was fatally injured while riding waves in Indonesia's Mentawai Islands on Sunday morning. According to
, the native Hawaiian was surfing near Awera Resort...
One Nation's Capital Is Sinking.
Solution? Build a New One
May 21, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
One Nation's Capital Is Sinking. Solution? Build a New One
Indonesia is trying to do that, and the 'New York Times' digs into the huge challenges
- Indonesia's capital of Jakarta has a fundamental problem: To put it simply, the city of 30 million people is sinking. President Joko Widodo has tried all kinds of "Sisyphean" solutions to fix things, writes Hannah Beach in the
New York Times
, but it appears the rising sea will...
Report: 6 Soldiers Killed
in Search for Captured Pilot
Apr 17, 2023 3:33 PM CDT
Report: 6 Soldiers Killed in Search for Captured Pilot
Indonesian military says troops were attacked by separatist rebels in Papua province
- Separatist gunmen attacked Indonesian army troops who were deployed to rescue a New Zealand pilot taken hostage by the rebels in Papua province, leaving at least six dead and about 30 missing, officials said Sunday. Military reports seen by journalists said 21 soldiers fled into the jungle after an attack...
First the Smell of Gas, Then
Thunder, a Blast, and Fire
Mar 4, 2023 11:30 AM CST
First the Smell of Gas, Then Thunder, a Blast, and Fire
At least 18 dead after blaze at fuel storage depot in Jakarta, Indonesia
- Indonesian rescuers and firefighters on Saturday searched for more than a dozen missing people under the rubble of charred houses and buildings, after a large fire spread from a fuel storage depot in the capital and killed at least 18 people. The Plumpang fuel storage station, operated by state-run oil...
Palm Oil, Long the Bad Guy,
Has Something to Teach Us
Feb 26, 2023 2:10 PM CST
Palm Oil, Long the Bad Guy, Has Something to Teach Us
Other industries could learn something from its turnaround story
- Depending on how you look at it, palm oil is an angel or a devil. The angelic part is its versatility: no other vegetable oil is like it. As the
puts it, palm oil is cheaper than other options, and works in wonderous ways, making "cookies more healthy,...
Parliament Votes to Outlaw
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 10, 2022 12:55 PM CST
Parliament Votes to Outlaw Extramarital Affairs
Human rights organizations and Indonesian business groups worry about the fallout
- Indonesian lawmakers on Tuesday voted to criminalize adultery. Parliament unanimously approved the penal code revision, which must still be signed by the president and will then take effect sometime in the next three years, the AP reports. "(The new Criminal Code) has a lot of implementing regulations that must...
Eruption Sends Rivers
of Lava Down Mt. Semeru
Dec 4, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Eruption Sends Rivers of Lava Down Mt. Semeru
Indonesian villagers flee falling ash, move into shelters
- Indonesia's highest volcano on its most densely populated island released searing gas clouds and rivers of lava on Sunday in its latest eruption. Monsoon rains eroded and finally collapsed the lava dome atop 12,060-foot Mt. Semeru, causing the eruption, said a spokesman for the National Disaster Management Agency....
Biden: 'There Need Not
Be a New Cold War'
Nov 14, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Biden: 'There Need Not Be a New Cold War'
President meets with China's Xi Jinping
- President Biden had his first face-to-face meeting as president with China's Xi Jinping on Monday, and he sounded an optimistic tone afterward. "I absolutely believe there need not be a new Cold War," he said after the sit-down in Bali, Indonesia, per the AP . "I'...
Putin to Skip
'Saves Him the
Nov 10, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Putin to Skip G20 Summit: 'Saves Him the Embarrassment'
Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky to attend events in Bali as virtual guest
- Vladimir Putin will be missing from the G20 summit next week amid a series of setbacks for Russia in its war in Ukraine—though he might appear via video. That's according to officials at the Russian Embassy in Indonesia, where leaders of the world's 20 largest economies will...
First They Found Her Sandals,
Then a Bloated Snake
in case you missed it
Oct 30, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
First They Found Her Sandals, Then a Bloated Snake
Woman in Indonesia set out for work at a rubber plantation, didn't return home
- It's an occurrence so chilling and rare that it's being reported around the globe: An Indonesian woman apparently lost her life to a python, with local reports confirming her body was found in the snake's stomach. The
reports a woman identified as Jahrah, 54, left for...
Soccer Stampede Leaves
at Least 125 Dead
Oct 2, 2022 4:55 AM CDT
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
Indonesia riot results in one of the deadliest sports events ever
Update: The death toll has been revised from 174 to 125 after authorities realized some victims were counted twice.)
Panic and a chaotic run for exits after police fired tear gas at an Indonesian soccer match left at least 125 dead, most of whom were trampled upon or suffocated,...
Milley Sees China Becoming
More Threatening in Pacific
Jul 24, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Milley Sees China Becoming More Threatening in Pacific
Joint Chiefs chairman meets with region's defense leaders
- The Chinese military has become more aggressive and dangerous over the past five years, the top US military officer said during a trip to the Indo-Pacific that included a stop Sunday in Indonesia. Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that the number of intercepts by...
Tied to $7.2M
COVID Relief Plot
Jun 8, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Authorities: Japanese Fugitive Tied to $7.2M COVID Relief Plot
Mitsuhiro Taniguchi is now in custody in Indonesia and set to be deported
- For a week or two, Mitsuhiro Taniguchi was holed up in the home of an Indonesian fish trader, trying to convince him of his plan to invest in local fisheries. That won't be happening now, though, as he's been nabbed by authorities over the money he was perhaps...
Die in Traps
Apr 26, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
3 Endangered Sumatran Tigers Die in Traps
They represent almost 1% of the estimated population
- Three endangered Sumatran tigers have been found dead, dealing a blow to a population thought to number around 400. Conservation officials discovered the bodies of a male and female tiger, whose legs were ensnared in a trap, in Aceh, at the northern tip of Indonesia's Sumatra island, on Sunday....
'Momentous Occasion' for One
of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Mar 31, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
'Momentous Occasion' for One of the Rarest Animals on Earth
Indonesia's captive breeding program spawns new Sumatran rhino
- Indonesia has just welcomed a bundle of joy in the form of one of the rarest mammals on Earth. A Sumatran rhino was born March 24 in a sanctuary to a mother that had suffered eight miscarriages since she was captured in the wild in 2005 as part of a...
This Crocodile Got Its
Brave but Good Samaritan
Feb 8, 2022 4:22 PM CST
This Crocodile Got Its Brave but Good Samaritan
Reptile stuck in tire since 2016 is freed
A crocodile that has been cursed with a tire around its neck since 2016 is finally free, thanks to a 34-year-old Indonesian man named Tili. He used chicken bait and nylon ropes to wrangle the animal on Monday with the help of dozens of locals who helped cut the...
Name for Its New Capital
Jan 18, 2022 2:40 PM CST
Indonesia Chooses Name for Its New Capital
So long, Jakarta
If memorizing capitals is among your pastimes, here's a new one for you: Nusantara. That's the name that will grace Indonesia's new capital, which is set to take shape somewhere around 2024. It will replace the current government seat, Jakarta, areas of which are sinking at...
After Eruption, Search
Continues for Survivors
Dec 6, 2021 7:00 AM CST
After Eruption, Search Continues for Survivors
Death toll from Mt. Semeru in Indonesia rises to 15, but more are missing
- It's one of the most active volcanoes in a nation known for them, and the eruption that began Saturday on Mt. Semeru in Indonesia isn't over yet. Details:
The death toll in East Java province rose to 15 on Monday, but at least 27 are missing, reports CNN
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.