Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
for Secret Service
at Trump Hotels
Oct 17, 2022 3:32 PM CDT
Records Show 'Exorbitant' Charges for Secret Service at Trump Hotels
Eric Trump claims rooms were 'either provided at cost, heavily discounted, or for free'
- Secret Service agents protecting Donald Trump and members of his family were regularly charged "exorbitant" rates to stay at Trump hotels, according to a House Oversight Committee investigation that directly contradicts claims made by Eric Trump. The former president's son, who is executive vice president of the Trump...
Jan. 6 Panel Expected to Share
Ginni Thomas Testimony
Oct 13, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel Expected to Share Ginni Thomas Testimony
Thursday's hearing is set to offer 'surprising' details, a look into Trump's 'state of mind'
- The House Jan. 6 committee is set to unveil "surprising" details, including evidence from former President Trump's Secret Service, about the 2021 attack on the Capitol in what's likely to be its last public hearing before the November midterm elections. The hearing Thursday afternoon, the 10th public...
Secret Service Called
Harris Motorcade Accident
Oct 6, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
Secret Service Called Harris Motorcade Accident 'Mechanical Failure'
The real cause was driver error
- Vice President Kamala Harris was unharmed when her motorcade was involved in a minor accident on a closed roadway in Washington, DC, on Monday morning—but insiders tell the
that the way it was reported to Secret Service leadership raised concerns. The agency's leaders were told "...
Jan. 6 Inquiry: DHS Has
Had 24 Secret Service
Phones for 2 Months
Sep 28, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Inquiry: DHS Has Had 24 Secret Service Phones for 2 Months
They went to DHS Inspector General, who's been accused of a lack of transparency: report
- Secret Service leadership confiscated the cellphones of 24 agents involved in the response to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021, and gave them to the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general up to two months ago, reports NBC News . The phones were handed over to Inspector General Joseph...
to Jan. 6 Probe
Aug 30, 2022 5:37 AM CDT
Secret Service Official Integral to Jan. 6 Probe Abruptly Retires
Tony Ornato says he has long been planning the move
- Anthony Ornato, the Secret Service official turned Trump staffer who has become enmeshed in the House January 6 probe , abruptly retired Monday. The Intercept calls the move, which came two days before his planned interview with Department of Homeland Security investigators who are probing the Capitol riot, "unexpected."...
Secret Service Officer
Assaulted Outside White House
Aug 9, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Secret Service Officer Assaulted Outside White House
Agency says suspect is in custody
- The Secret Service says a suspect is in custody after an assault on one of its officers outside the White House Tuesday afternoon. The agency says the uniformed officer was attacked in an unprovoked assault near a guard booth on Pennsylvania Avenue, on the north side of the White House,...
Are Missing, Too
Jul 29, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Texts From DHS Officials Are Missing, Too
Inspector General Joseph Cuffari failed to notify Congress: 'Washington Post'
- Texts from Secret Service agents related to Jan. 6, 2021, aren't the only messages to have escaped the peering eyes of the House select committee. According to the
, texts between the two top officials at the Department of Homeland Security under former President Trump sent in the...
Secret Service Under
Jul 22, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Secret Service Under Criminal Investigation
Inspector general tells agency to stop its own search for deleted texts
- A government watchdog has informed the Secret Service that it's under criminal investigation over its deletion of text messages agents sent around the time of the attack on the Capitol. Because of that, the service was told it should shut down its internal investigation, the
Witness: Pence Security Team
Called Family to Say Goodbye
Jul 21, 2022 9:01 PM CDT
Witness: Pence Security Team Called Family to Say Goodbye
Agents feared for their lives on Jan. 6, witness tells panel
- Just how dicey did things get in regard to Mike Pence on Jan. 6, 2021? Members of the vice president's Secret Service security team "were starting to fear for their own lives," a witness whose identity was not revealed told the panel, per CNN . "There were...
Trump's White House Counsel:
My Pleas Went Unheeded
Jul 21, 2022 8:16 PM CDT
Trump's White House Counsel: My Pleas Went Unheeded
Pat Cipollone says he pushed on Jan. 6 for the president to address rioters early
- In making the case that then-President Trump ignored the pleas of top aides to intervene in the riot, the Jan. 6 panel played testimony from former White House counsel Pat Cipollone, notes the Hill .
“I think I was pretty clear there needed to be an immediate and forceful response,
Secret Service Finds 1 Text.
'I Smell a Rat,' Raskin Says
Jul 20, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Secret Service Finds 1 Text. 'I Smell a Rat,' Raskin Says
Jan. 6 committee member finds agency's loss of messages an odd coincidence
- A subpoena for Secret Service text messages issued by the House committee investigating the Capitol attack has yielded precisely one transmission. The communication turned over was a request for help sent Jan. 6 by Steven Sund, a Capitol police officer at the time. "That's all that we have,...
Texts Secret Service Agents
Didn't Back Up Are Gone
Jul 20, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Texts Secret Service Agents Didn't Back Up Are Gone
Agents were apparently tasked with determining what to back up during phone migration
The House Jan. 6 committee said late Tuesday that it received a letter from the Secret Service confirming the text messages the panel was seeking are gone for good. The letter also confirmed the deletion occurred during a planned phone migration that occurred shortly after the Capitol attack, reports...
Secret Service Over
Jul 16, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
Committee Subpoenas Secret Service Over Text Messages
Agency says it will answer Jan. 6 panel quickly
: The House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol has issued a subpoena for Secret Service text messages sent on Jan. 5 and 6, 2021. The committee had been told Thursday that the agency deleted the records. Democratic Chairman Bennie Thompson wrote the Secret Service that the committee wants...
Secret Service Employee
Sent Home From Biden Trip
Jul 13, 2022 4:01 PM CDT
Secret Service Employee Sent Home From Biden Trip
Woman accuses worker of assault on an Israeli street before Biden's arrival
- A Secret Service employee has been sent home after being arrested and briefly held and questioned by Israeli police. A woman had accused the employee of what an agency spokesman called a "physical encounter" Monday night, NBC News reports. The confrontation occurred on a street when agency employees were...
Secret Service Director
Leaves for Snapchat
Jul 7, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Secret Service Director Leaves for Snapchat
James Murray quits as agency becomes snagged in Jan. 6 investigation
- James Murray, director of the Secret Service since 2019, is leaving the government for social media. His new job is in security for Snapchat, the
reports. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas praised Murray as an adviser, and the agency issued a statement saying Murray "helped the agency...
Reports: Secret Service Agents
Deny Bombshell Claim
Jun 29, 2022 9:11 AM CDT
Reports: Secret Service Agents Deny Bombshell Claim
But will they testify under oath?
- Prevented from going to the Capitol with his supporters on Jan. 6, President Trump grabbed the steering wheel of his limousine and lunged at the head of his security detail, a top aide to Trump Chief of Staff Mark Meadows testified Tuesday , relaying that what she said was told to...
Beach House After
Small Plane's Flyover
Jun 4, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Bidens Evacuate Beach House After Small Plane's Flyover
Pilot made a mistake, Secret Service says
- A small private airplane mistakenly entered restricted airspace near President Biden's Delaware vacation home Saturday, prompting the brief evacuation of the president and first lady, the White House and the Secret Service said. The White House said that there was no threat to the Bidens and that precautionary measures...
Day Before Riot, Pence Aide
Warned Secret Service
Jun 3, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
Day Before Riot, Pence Aide Warned Secret Service
Chief of staff feared violent reaction to Trump's criticism over election certification
- Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff wasn't sure what was going to happen on Jan. 6, 2021. But he knew President Trump was about to publicly denounce Pence for not trying to block Congress from certifying Joe Biden's electoral victory in the presidential election, and he...
2 Secret Service
May 20, 2022 12:26 PM CDT
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
They were involved in an allegedly drunken altercation with taxi driver in South Korea
- It might be another case of Secret Service employees behaving badly overseas : Two have been sent back to the US ahead of President Biden's trip to Asia , reports the AP . The details of what happened were still being investigated, but ABC News reports an agent got into a heated...
Police Identify Man Killed
at Ambassador's Residence
Apr 23, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Police Identify Man Killed at Ambassador's Residence
Officials suggested no motive in the case, in which the Secret Service shot a 19-year-old
: DC police on Saturday identified the man shot to death this week by Secret Service agents on the grounds of the Peruvian ambassador's residence. Gordon Casey, of Germantown, Maryland, died outside the residence Wednesday, per ABC News , after an intruder was reported. Police gave no information Saturday on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.