Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
He Thought He'd Die, So He
Began a Con. He Didn't Die
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 26, 2019 2:03 PM CDT
He Thought He'd Die, So He Began a Con. He Didn't Die
Mark Olmsted, who was HIV-positive, assumed identity of his dead brother Luke
- It seemed like it would be quite a way to go after getting diagnosed with a likely fatal illness: become a con man and live your remaining days out like a king. Except, as Nathaniel Penn notes in a fascinating profile for GQ : "What the hell happens if you...
A Big Donation Meant to Fight
HIV, With 'Mixed' Reaction
May 10, 2019 11:24 AM CDT
A Big Donation Meant to Fight HIV, With 'Mixed' Reaction
Gilead Sciences will donate Truvada, but critics say they should cut price for everyone instead
- On Thursday, President Trump tweeted the news: An announcement from Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar that Gilead Sciences, manufacturer of the only approved HIV-preventing drug, would donate enough Truvada to treat 200,000 patients each year through at least 2025, and possibly though 2030. Azar noted the...
After Bloody 'Vampire' Facial,
a Frightening Diagnosis
May 1, 2019 7:23 AM CDT
After Bloody 'Vampire' Facial, a Frightening Diagnosis
Health officials: 2 customers of NM day spa are HIV-positive after 'injection-related procedures'
- In September, a day spa in Albuquerque, NM, suddenly shuttered , along with an explainer from state health officials that they'd identified practices at the spa "that could potentially spread blood-borne infections." Now, the New Mexico Department of Health says two former customers of VIP Spa who received...
Report: HIV 'Cured'
in a Second Patient
Mar 5, 2019 6:26 AM CST
Report: HIV 'Cured' in a Second Patient
This proves a cure is reachable, experts say
- Researchers say it is too early to declare that a cure for HIV has been found—but with a second patient now free of the virus after a stem cell transplant, a cure appears to be in reach. Researchers say the man, identified only as the "London patient,"...
Aug 3, 2018 2:03 PM CDT
Feds: HIV-Positive Shelter Worker Sexually Abused Immigrant Kids
Southwest Key, largest operator of US immigrant youth shelters, also plagued with other allegations
- While the controversy surrounding immigrant children separated from their parents at the US border continues to swirl, the AP reports on troublesome news out of a shelter outside Phoenix. Per federal authorities, Levian Pacheco, who used to work for Southwest Key's Casa Kokopelli facility in Mesa, has pleaded not...
Man Wins Massive Sum After
Canceled HIV Test
Jun 20, 2018 3:52 PM CDT
Man Wins Massive Sum After Canceled HIV Test
A federal jury in Boston has awarded $18.4 million to Sean Stentiford
- A federal jury has awarded $18.4 million in damages to a man who said in a lawsuit that two doctors failed to test him for HIV, which allowed the virus to progress to AIDS. The
reports the jury ruled Monday in favor of 48-year-old Sean Stentiford...
Bill Gates: Wife
Didn't Love How
Trump Spoke of
May 18, 2018 6:23 AM CDT
Bill Gates: Wife Didn't Love How Trump Spoke of Our Daughter
Gates also said Trump seemed confused about difference between HIV, HPV
- Bill Gates recently helmed a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation meeting with staff, and per the
, he offered some anecdotes involving President Trump. In the footage aired Thursday night on MSNBC, Gates noted that when he first met Trump in late 2016, it was "kind of scary" how...
Grindr Busted Making
'Disturbing' HIV Revelations
Apr 3, 2018 9:10 AM CDT
Grindr Busted Making 'Disturbing' HIV Revelations
Company admits it has shared users' HIV status with 2 analytics vendors
- If Grindr users share their HIV status on the gay dating app, they may assume that revelation will stay among themselves, potential partners, and Grindr. But BuzzFeed reported Monday that Grindr shared that data (including HIV status and "last tested date," as well as email addresses) with two...
U2 Will Break 'Sacred Pledge,'
and You Could Take Part
Nov 28, 2017 9:50 AM CST
U2 Will Break 'Sacred Pledge,' and You Could Take Part
Up for a game of mini-golf?
- When the members of U2 were just young Irish lads, they made "a sacred pledge" to each other that has remained steadfast throughout their decades-long run as rock stars: Never play golf. "We didn't think it was rock 'n' roll," frontman Bono tells the AP...
Elton John Calls Out Georgia
Rep. for 'Horrific' HIV Comment
Oct 23, 2017 6:00 PM CDT
Elton John Calls Out Georgia Rep. for 'Horrific' HIV Comment
The singer became the latest to attack Betty Price
- Elton John has jumped into the American culture wars in response to comments from a Georgia state representative suggesting a quarantine might be necessary to stem the spread of HIV, Politico reports. In a statement released by the Elton John AIDS Foundation, the legendary British singer-songwriter lashed out at Rep....
Girl's HIV Drugs Were Halted 8
Years Ago. It's 'Promising'
Jul 24, 2017 7:53 AM CDT
Girl's HIV Drugs Were Halted 8 Years Ago. It's 'Promising'
Researchers point to early treatment that can possibly lead to long-term remission
- A South African girl born with the AIDS virus has kept her infection suppressed for more than eight years after stopping anti-HIV medicines—more evidence that early treatment can occasionally cause a long remission that, if it lasts, would be a form of cure. Her case was revealed Monday at...
AIDS Deaths Fall
by Half From 2005 Peak
Jul 20, 2017 8:16 AM CDT
AIDS Deaths Fall by Half From 2005 Peak
In a first, more than half of people with HIV are taking medication for it
- For the first time in the global AIDS epidemic that has spanned four decades and killed 35 million people, more than half of all those infected with HIV are on drugs to treat the virus, the UN said Thursday. AIDS deaths are also now close to half of what they...
6 Members of Trump's
HIV/AIDS Panel Quit
Jun 19, 2017 9:34 AM CDT
6 Members of Trump's HIV/AIDS Panel Quit
PACHA members say Trump 'simply does not care' about HIV/AIDS
- Six members of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS resigned in protest last week over what they call an administration that has "no strategy" to deal with the epidemic, and "a president who simply does not care," NBC News reports. A member of the group accused the...
HIV Rate Could Hit 50% for Gay
and Bisexual Black Men in US
Jun 7, 2017 2:48 PM CDT
HIV Rate Could Hit 50% for Gay and Bisexual Black Men in US
HIV rate for gay, bisexual black men in US higher than any country in world
- In 1981, the very first report on AIDS detailed five cases in gay white men. It left out a sixth case: that of a gay black man. The doctor behind the report now says that exclusion "might've made a difference." The HIV rate in gay and bisexual...
Man Charged With Murder
After Girlfriend Dies of AIDS
Jun 7, 2017 11:04 AM CDT
Man Charged With Murder After Girlfriend Dies of AIDS
Prosecutors say Ron Murdock knowingly infected her with HIV
- Kimberly Klempner, 51, died of AIDS on Feb. 5—and her former boyfriend of five years is charged with her murder. Ohio prosecutors allege Ron J. Murdock, 51, of Toledo "absolutely knew" he had HIV, did not tell Klempner that fact, and infected her with the virus via unprotected...
He Fought AIDS by Convincing
World It Was Security Threat
May 17, 2017 5:14 PM CDT
He Fought AIDS by Convincing World It Was Security Threat
No modern epidemic had ever been considered a security matter before
- No one person turned the tide in the fight against HIV/AIDS, but Richard Holbrooke—former US ambassador to the UN and president of the Security Council—was an instrumental part of saving millions of lives from the disease. In 2000, Holbrooke—having visited places like Cambodia and Namibia—was convinced...
Calif. Bill Would
Reduce Punishment for Not
Revealing HIV Status
Mar 18, 2017 8:08 AM CDT
Calif. Bill Would Reduce Punishment for Not Revealing HIV Status
Lawmakers want to change felony to misdemeanour
- Democratic lawmakers in California say they want to reduce the stigma surrounding HIV by changing the law. Under a bill championed by state Sen. Scott Weiner, it would no longer be a felony for a person with HIV to have unprotected sex without disclosing their status, the
Los Angeles Times
A 25-Year-Old's High-Profile
HIV Conviction Is Tossed
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 25, 2016 7:21 AM CST
A 25-Year-Old's High-Profile HIV Conviction Is Tossed
Appeals court find trial court did indeed 'abuse its discretion'
- With HIV no longer a death sentence, decades-old HIV laws and the heavy sentences they carry have become more contentious. A prime and much publicized example was that of Michael L. Johnson, now 25, a Lindenwood University wrestling star at the time of his 2013 arrest who is serving 30....
10 US Cities With
Biggest Spikes in HIV
Nov 30, 2016 11:51 AM CST
10 US Cities With Biggest Spikes in HIV
Baton Rouge tops the list
- In 2014, it's estimated that more than 44,000 people contracted HIV, NBC News reports. In advance of World AIDS Day on Wednesday, GetTested looked at CDC data for that year to determine the 10 cities with the highest rates of new HIV diagnoses. The top five:
Scientists Discover New
Weapon in Fight Against HIV
Nov 16, 2016 5:43 PM CST
Scientists Discover New Weapon in Fight Against HIV
The antibody could work against 98% of HIV isolates
- Scientists at the National Institutes of Health may have just discovered a powerful new tool in the fight against HIV. According to a press release , a newly identified antibody called N6 found in an HIV-infected person could successfully neutralize 98% of HIV isolates, including 16 of 20 HIV strains that...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
Crawford on '86 Oprah Interview: 'I Was Like the Chattel'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.