Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cuba's US Embassy Hit
by Molotov Cocktail in DC
Sep 25, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Cuba's US Embassy Hit by Molotov Cocktail in DC
No significant damage and no one injured
- At least one Molotov cocktail was thrown at the Cuban Embassy in Washington, reports the AP , but there was no significant damage and no one was injured. US law enforcement officials were investigating. Secret Service officers were called around 8pm ET on Sunday to respond to the attack on a...
Cuba Says It Broke Up Russia's
Recruiting Scheme for Troops
Sep 5, 2023 2:03 PM CDT
Cuba Says It Broke Up Russia's Recruiting Scheme for Troops
Island's government calls operation 'human trafficking'
- Cuba announced Tuesday that it has foiled an effort to pull its citizens into Russia's war on Ukraine, labeling the scheme a human trafficking ring. A statement by Cuba's foreign ministry says it has started to prosecute those accused of assisting the effort to recruit people for the...
World's Biggest Cruise Ship
Loses Passenger Near Cuba
Sep 2, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
World's Biggest Cruise Ship Loses Passenger Near Cuba
Search is on for Sigmund Ropich, 19, who went overboard Royal Caribbean's Wonder of the Seas
- A college student vacationing with friends who went overboard the largest cruise ship in the world earlier this week is still missing, though the search for him continues—for now. Per Insider , 19-year-old Sigmund Ropich vanished from Royal Caribbean's Wonder of the Seas on Tuesday night when the ship...
Cuban Coach Disappears
From Little League World Series
Aug 21, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Cuban Coach Disappears From Little League World Series
It's not clear whether Jose Perez defected
- This is the first year a team from Cuba has taken part in the Little League World Series, which has been held every since 1947—and they might be going home minus one coach. Little League officials say Jose Perez left the complex where the teams are staying in South...
She Made a
Visit to Guantanamo
Jun 28, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
She Made a First-of-Its-Kind Visit to Guantanamo
Independent UN monitor was permitted to visit the detention center
- Since its 2002 opening, no UN human rights investigators had been permitted to visit Guantanamo Bay. That changed in February, when Irish law professor Fionnuala Ni Aolain was granted access—and what she found was "cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment." The UN special rapporteur spent four days at...
Report: China Plans to Build
Spy Base 100 Miles From US
Jun 8, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Report: China Plans to Build Spy Base 100 Miles From US
Sources say Beijing will pay Cuban government billions of dollars
- Talk of a cold war between the US and China will likely be heightened by reports that China is planning to build a spy base in Cuba. The
Wall Street Journal
, citing "US officials familiar with highly classified intelligence," reports that Beijing and Havana have struck a deal...
Cuban Migrants Reach
Florida by Hang Glider
Mar 25, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
Cuban Migrants Reach Florida by Hang Glider
Border Patrol takes both into custody
- Two Cuban migrants used a motorized hang glider to fly the approximately 90 miles from the Communist-ruled island to Key West on Saturday, Florida officials said. The Monroe County Sheriff's Office said the duo landed safely at Key West International Airport at about 10:30am and were turned over...
Elian Gonzalez Is
Making Headlines Again
Feb 8, 2023 9:06 AM CST
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Boy seized in 2000 raid in Miami, deported to Cuba is set to become a lawmaker in his own land
- More than 20 years ago, the terrified face of 6-year-old Elian Gonzalez graced newspapers around the world when armed federal agents burst into his family's Miami home to retrieve him and return him to his father's custody in Cuba. Gonzalez, 29, is now making headlines again, this time...
US Releases 'One of
the Most Damaging Spies'
Jan 8, 2023 12:35 PM CST
US Releases 'One of the Most Damaging Spies'
Ana Belen Montes provided classified intelligence to Cuba for years
- After more than 20 years in prison, an American convicted of spying for Cuba, has been freed. The US Bureau of Prisons said Ana Belen Montes, 65, was released Friday in Fort Worth, Texas. Montes was the Defense Intelligence Agency's senior Cuba analyst when she was arrested in 2001...
UPS Driver's Reaction to
First Paycheck Goes Viral
in case you missed it
Nov 27, 2022 4:10 PM CST
UPS Driver's Reaction to First Paycheck Goes Viral
Cuban-born Yoel Garcia reminds Americans to be grateful for what they have
- Yoel Garcia has experienced a lot of firsts since immigrating to the US from Cuba in 2021—from voting in a free and fair election to sitting on Santa's knee —many of which he and his Cuban-American wife, Marissa, have shared with their hundreds of thousands of followers...
Hurricane Ian Knocks Out
Power to All of Cuba
Sep 28, 2022 12:02 AM CDT
Hurricane Ian Knocks Out Power to All of Cuba
Storm heading to Florida next
- Cuba remained in the dark early Wednesday after Hurricane Ian knocked out its power grid and devastated some of the country’s most important tobacco farms when it hit the island’s western tip as a major storm, the AP reports. Authorities were working overnight to gradually restore service to...
to Be Legal in Cuba
Sep 26, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Same-Sex Marriage to Be Legal in Cuba
Voters approve sweeping changes to nation's family code
- Same-sex marriage, surrogate pregnancies, and adoption by gay couples will all be legal in Cuba for the first time, after voters overwhelmingly approved changes to the nation's family code. Officials said Monday the vote in favor of the new code was running at 66%, per the BBC ; approval required...
At the Border, a Milestone
on Migrant Arrivals
Sep 20, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
At the Border, a Milestone on Migrant Arrivals
There were more than 2M 'encounters' with border officials over the past year—a big first
- There were more migrant arrivals along the US-Mexico border in the past fiscal year than any other: More than 2 million people tried to enter the United States from our southern neighbor, a record achieved in the first 11 months alone. Per a document from US Customs and Border Protection,...
Flight of Cuban Exiles
Is Largest Since 1980
Sep 7, 2022 11:58 AM CDT
Flight of Cuban Exiles Is Largest Since 1980
NBC News has the story of one woman who survived a perilous sea journey
- Barbara Viltres survived the journey that claimed the lives of some of her fellow Cubans who were illegally trying to enter Miami. But she didn't survive it unscathed. NBC News shares her story against the backdrop of the largest Cuban "exodus" that's occurred since 1980. Amid shortages...
Oil Tank Fire
Aug 10, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Cuba Has Oil Tank Fire Just About Under Control
Officials expect blaze to burn longer but not spread
: After almost five days, crews have brought the oil fire that threatened to further strain Cuba's power supply nearly under control. An official said the fire might continue for a couple of days more but not spread, the AP reports. Once it's out, the oil storage base...
Drivers Sleep in Trucks
Waiting for Fuel in Cuba
Jul 16, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Drivers Sleep in Trucks Waiting for Fuel in Cuba
Diesel needed for vehicles is being diverted to generate power
- Dany Pérez had spent four days in a line of vehicles waiting to fill his truck with diesel he needs for the 560-mile trip from Havana to his home in eastern Cuba. Taxi driver Jhojan Rodríguez had been waiting at another station even longer—it was nearing two...
to Jet Ski Out
of the Country
Jun 16, 2022 1:14 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Suspect Tried to Jet Ski Out of the Country
It didn't work out for Ernesto Cruz Graveran, now held in Florida
- Stripped of his passport, a man tried to flee fraud charges in the US by riding a jet ski from Florida to Cuba, prosecutors say. Ernesto Cruz Graveran, 54, a Cuban national living in Florida and charged in a $4.2 million Medicare fraud scheme, is being held as a...
Jun 4, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Storm Floods Florida Streets
System arrives from Mexico with heavy rainfall
- The storm system that made landfall in Mexico as Hurricane Agatha has reached Florida, bringing heavy rain and winds and flooding roads on Saturday. Officials in Miami, where downtown streets flooded overnight, warned residents not to try to drive or walk through the standing water, the
This Is the Largest Cuban
Athlete Defection in Years
Oct 5, 2021 5:18 AM CDT
This Is the Largest Cuban Athlete Defection in Years
9 baseball players defect during tournament in Mexico
- While playing in a tournament in Mexico this weekend, nine members of a Cuban baseball team defected. While Cuban athletes have a history of defecting while competing in other countries, this was the largest athlete defection in years, the BBC reports. The Cuban government confirmed the defections Sunday, calling them...
Toddlers in Cuba Are Now
Getting Homegrown Vaccines
Sep 15, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
Toddlers in Cuba Are Now Getting Homegrown Vaccines
Cuba is administering Soberana 2, not recognized by WHO, to kids as young as 2
- With kids still out of school since March 2020, and one of the highest coronavirus rates worldwide, Cuba announced a bold new undertaking Monday: It has begun to administer a COVID vaccine to children, even toddlers, reports Voice of America . Kids ages 2-18 are receiving Soberana 2 and the booster...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.