Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Stocks Do U-Turn
After Fed Chief Speaks
Feb 1, 2023 4:00 PM CST
Stocks Do U-Turn After Fed Chief Speaks
S&P 500 jumps from 1% loss to 1% gain as Powell sees progress against inflation
- Stocks climbed Wednesday to send Wall Street to its best level since the summer following the latest hike to interest rates by the Federal Reserve, which said it’s finally seeing improvements in inflation. The S&P 500 rallied back from an early 1% loss to finish 1% higher 4,...
on a Strong Note
Jan 31, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Wall Street Ends January on a Strong Note
But McDonald's fell despite strong profits
- Wall Street closed out a strong January with more gains. The S&P 500 rose 58.83 points Tuesday, or 1.5%, to 4,076.60, marking its third winning month in the last four. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 368.95 points, or 1.1%, to 34,086....
Stocks Drop as Investors
Prepare for Fed Decision
Jan 30, 2023 3:56 PM CST
Stocks Drop as Investors Prepare for Fed Decision
Earnings reports, jobs report also due this week
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street ahead of a week full of potentially market-moving events. The S&P 500 fell 52.79 points, or 1.3%, to 4,017.77 Monday as markets prepared for decisions on interest rates around the world and a slew of earnings reports. The Dow...
Indexes Finish Flat in
'Jekyll and Hyde' Market
Jan 25, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Indexes Finish Flat in 'Jekyll and Hyde' Market
Microsoft rebounded from big losses in early trading
- Stocks shook off an early slide and wound up little changed Wednesday as worries about corporate profits weighed on the market. The S&P 500 fell 0.73 points, or less than 0.1%, to 4,016.22. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 9.88 points, or less than...
3M Drops 6.3% After
Disappointing Earnings Report
Jan 24, 2023 3:31 PM CST
3M Drops 6.3% After Disappointing Earnings Report
Indexes drifted between gains, losses
- Stocks ended mixed on Wall Street Tuesday after drifting between gains and losses as more big US companies delivered their earnings reports for the last three months of 2022. Some of them came up short of what investors were expecting, leading to drops in their stock prices, the AP reports....
Markets Rally as
Fed Rate Move
Jan 23, 2023 3:49 PM CST
Markets Rally as Fed Rate Move Approaches
Tech stocks led the way, with Nasdaq up 2%
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street as investors grew more convinced the Federal Reserve will keep downshifting the size of its rate hikes and as several major companies prepared to report their latest results. Tech companies led the way in a broad rally, pushing the Nasdaq composite up 223.98...
Wall Street Just Had Its
Biggest Pullback of the Year
Jan 18, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Wall Street Just Had Its Biggest Pullback of the Year
Dow fell 614 points
- Wall Street had its biggest pullback of the year Wednesday as a January market rally sputtered. Technology stocks led the way lower, including a 1.9% drop in Microsoft after the tech titan joined others in its industry in announcing layoffs . Weak readings on retail sales and industrial production also...
Goldman Sachs Reports
66% Fall in Profit
Jan 17, 2023 3:49 PM CST
Goldman Sachs Reports 66% Fall in Profit
Dow drops 392 points
- Major US indexes closed mixed on Wall Street at the beginning of a holiday-shortened, but earnings-heavy week. The S&P 500 fell 8.12 points, or 0.2%, to 3,990.97. The Nasdaq rose 15.96 points, or 0.1%, to 11,095.11. The Dow Jones Industrial Average...
Markets Rally Ahead of
Key Report on Inflation
Jan 11, 2023 3:50 PM CST
Markets Rally Ahead of Key Report on Inflation
Optimism has caused 'mini-rebound'
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street as investors made their final moves ahead of a highly anticipated report on inflation. The S&P 500 rose 1.3% Wednesday, its second straight gain before Thursday morning's inflation data. Economists expect the report to show that inflation continued to cool last...
Stocks Edge Higher as
Inflation Report Looms
Jan 10, 2023 3:46 PM CST
Stocks Edge Higher as Inflation Report Looms
Fed chair didn't offer any clues in Stockholm remarks
- Stocks ticked higher in quiet trading on Wall Street Tuesday, ahead of some potentially market-moving reports scheduled for later in the week. The S&P 500 rose 27.16 points, or 0.7%, to 3,919.25 after drifting between small gains and losses through the day. The Dow Jones...
Macy's, Lululemon Fall
After Cautious Forecasts
Jan 9, 2023 3:46 PM CST
Macy's, Lululemon Fall After Cautious Forecasts
Markets gave up early gains Monday
- Stocks gave up early gains and drifted to a mixed close on Wall Street. Weakness in health care companies worsened throughout the day. Stocks are coming off their first weekly gain in five on hopes the Federal Reserve may ease up on its economy-shaking hikes to interest rates as inflation...
Fed Meeting Minutes
Limit Market Gains
Jan 4, 2023 4:07 PM CST
Fed Meeting Minutes Limit Market Gains
But market still broke a losing streak
- Stocks ended higher on Wall Street after a day of wavering as minutes from the Federal Reserve’s last meeting of policymakers underscored how the central bank remains determined to keep rates high to crush inflation. The S&P 500 rose 28.83 points, or 0.8%, to 3,852....
Wall Street Starts 2023
on a Gloomy Note
Jan 3, 2023 3:51 PM CST
Wall Street Starts 2023 on a Gloomy Note
Major indexes drop on year's first trading day
- Stocks fell on Wall Street’s first trading day of 2023 after closing out its worst year since 2008. The S&P 500 fell 15.36 points on Tuesday, or 0.4%, to 3,824.14. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 10.88 points, or less than 0.1%,...
Stocks Headed for
Worst Year Since 2008
Dec 30, 2022 6:37 AM CST
Stocks Headed for Worst Year Since 2008
The picture is even worse for cryptocurrencies
- Friday is the last trading day in a year many on Wall Street will be glad to see the last of. Stock futures fell overnight, leaving major indexes on course for their worst year since 2008, CNBC reports. The S&P 500 dropped 19.24% in 2022, the Nasdaq plunged...
Slides for a 2nd Day
Dec 28, 2022 3:50 PM CST
Southwest Stock Slides for a 2nd Day
S&P 500 is headed for its worst year since 2008
- A broad slide for stocks added to Wall Street's recent losses Wednesday, as investors count down to the end of the worst year for the S&P 500 since 2008. The S&P 500 fell 1.2%, with technology, energy, and industrial stocks among the biggest weights on the...
Tesla Slides 11.4% for
Biggest Decline in S&P 500
Dec 27, 2022 3:57 PM CST
Tesla Slides 11.4% for Biggest Decline in S&P 500
Shanghai production issues add to automaker's woes
- Stocks closed lower Tuesday, adding to the market's recent losses as Wall Street counts down its final days of a painful year for investors. A slide in technology companies, automakers, and airlines weighed on the market, offsetting gains in energy stocks and other sectors, the AP reports. News that...
Nike Surges 12.2% After
Results Beat Expectations
Dec 21, 2022 3:50 PM CST
Nike Surges 12.2% After Results Beat Expectations
Consumer confidence report gives markets a boost
- Stocks rose on Wall Street Wednesday, lifting major indexes into the green for the week as investors welcomed a report showing consumer confidence is holding up better than expected. That’s despite the Federal Reserve’s campaign to fight inflation by reining in the economy with sharp increases in interest...
Surprise Japan Move
Rattles Bond Markets
Dec 20, 2022 3:50 PM CST
Surprise Japan Move Rattles Bond Markets
Tesla stock is on course for its worst-ever month
- Stocks closed modestly higher on Wall Street Tuesday, while bond markets around the world felt pain after a surprise move from Japan’s central bank cranked the pressure even higher on the already slowing global economy. The S&P 500 rose 3.96 points, or 0.1%, to 3,821....
Meta Drops 4.1% After
Dec 19, 2022 3:50 PM CST
Meta Drops 4.1% After Antitrust Accusation
EU accuses Facebook's parent company of distorting competition in online ads
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street as investors brace for higher interest rates from central banks to fight inflation. The S&P 500 fell 34.70 points Monday, or 0.9%, to 3,817.66. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 162.92 points, or 0.5%, to 32,757....
Stocks Slump After Fed
Dec 14, 2022 4:08 PM CST
Stocks Slump After Fed Disappoints Investors
Interest rates will stay higher than markets had expected
- Stocks ended lower in bumpy trading on Wall Street after the Federal Reserve raised its benchmark interest rate in its fight against inflation and signaled that more hikes lay ahead. As expected, the central bank raised its key short-term rate by half a percentage point Wednesday, marking its seventh increase...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.