Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Has Bad News for
'Central Park Karen'
Jun 9, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Appeals Court Has Bad News for 'Central Park Karen'
That court dismisses suit against firm that fired Amy Cooper after she called cops on Black birder
- In September, US District Judge Ronnie Abrams dismissed a suit from Amy Cooper—a white woman fired from her job after calling 911 on a Black bird-watcher in NYC's Central Park—against her former employer. On Thursday, an appeals court upheld that decision, ruling that Cooper's complaint, in...
Since 'Central Park
Karen,' Birder's Life
Has Changed a Bit
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 3, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
Since 'Central Park Karen,' Birder's Life Has Changed a Bit
Christian Cooper has a book and TV show coming
- Three years after he found himself involved in a confrontation that quickly went viral, Christian Cooper—the Black birder who filmed a white woman who became known as the "Central Park Karen" as they argued about her off-leash dog in a protected section of the Manhattan park—is "...
Flaco Wins: Officials Give Up
Their Effort to Recapture Owl
Feb 20, 2023 3:30 AM CST
Flaco Wins: Officials Give Up Their Effort to Recapture Owl
The Eurasian eagle-owl escaped from New York's Central Park Zoo 2 weeks ago
- For two weeks, an owl that escaped from New York's Central Park Zoo has flown from treetop to treetop, eluding capture and amassing legions of fans worried about its ability to survive alone in the big city. Would Flaco, a majestic Eurasian eagle-owl, go hungry because he hadn't...
Central Park Attacker Hits
Jewish Man, Yells 'Kanye 2024'
Dec 18, 2022 6:09 AM CST
Central Park Attacker Hits Jewish Man, Yells 'Kanye 2024'
Suspect at large, 63-year-old victim in Central Park is recuperating
- Critics are blaming Kanye West's recent string of antisemitic remarks for an attack in New York's Central Park. The NYPD says an assailant attacked a 63-year-old Jewish man in the park while yelling "Kanye 2024" and Jewish slurs, reports CNN . The suspect is at large, and the...
May 19, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Central Park Bird-Watcher Will Host TV Series
Central Park confrontation in 2020 included a woman calling 911 to report Christian Cooper
- Christian Cooper, who once had 911 called on him while he was bird-watching in New York's Central Park, now will take viewers with him while he pursues his hobby. Cooper is hosting a TV series called
on National Geographic. The channel didn't say when the series...
Plenty of People
Run in Central Park.
Just Not Like This
Apr 16, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Plenty of People Run in Central Park. Just Not Like This
Oz Pearlman logged a record 116 miles in a single day
- The New York City Marathon ends in Central Park. Oz Pearlman's April 8 run started
ended there—but the time between those two points, and the distance covered, was pretty epic. The
New York Times
reports the 39-year-old Brooklynite set out to get the "Fastest Known Time"...
Beloved New York City Owl
Killed in Central Park
Aug 8, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Beloved New York City Owl Killed in Central Park
Barry is gone
- A barred owl that had become a sort of New York City celebrity after taking up residence in the city's famed Central Park has been killed. Barry, as she was affectionately known, was fatally struck by one of the privately maintained park's maintenance vehicles, the park Conservancy announced...
Called 911 on
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Woman Who Called 911 on Black Bird-Watcher Speaks Out
Amy Cooper says in new podcast her options were limited in May 2020 incident in Central Park
- Charges were dropped earlier this year against Amy Cooper, the white woman who was arrested after calling 911 on Christian Cooper (no relation), a Black bird-watcher she had a dispute with in Central Park in May 2020. At the time, she told dispatchers he was threatening her—except he wasn'...
Against Amy Cooper
Feb 16, 2021 11:18 AM CST
Charges Dismissed Against Amy Cooper
Woman in Central Park called police on a Black birdwatcher
- Amy Cooper, the white woman arrested last spring for calling 911 during a dispute with a Black man in New York's Central Park, had her criminal case dismissed Tuesday after completing a counseling program meant to educate her on the harm of her actions. Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon...
Woman Made 2nd Hoax Call
About Black Birdwatcher
Oct 14, 2020 12:17 PM CDT
Woman Made 2nd Hoax Call About Black Birdwatcher
Amy Cooper claimed he had 'tried to assault her'
- Amy Cooper, the white New York City woman who falsely claimed a Black birdwatcher had threatened her after a disagreement over her unleashed dog in Central Park, made a second 911 call even more likely to provoke a strong response from police, prosecutors revealed Wednesday. In the second call, Cooper...
Victim Won't Cooperate in
Case Against Amy Cooper
Jul 8, 2020 8:23 AM CDT
Victim Won't Cooperate in Case Against Amy Cooper
Christian Cooper says she doesn't need 'more misery'
- Amy Cooper may be charged with filing a false police report as a result of his video, but Christian Cooper is not necessarily on board. The member of the New York City Audubon Society board of directors again suggests the white woman who called police on May 25 to report...
Gets Dog Back
Jun 4, 2020 11:51 AM CDT
Woman in Park Incident Gets Dog Back
Rescue group returns pooch to Amy Cooper after input from law enforcement
- The white dog walker who called police on a black birdwatcher who'd asked her to leash her dog in Central Park has been reunited with the dog. Though Amy Cooper surrendered her pooch to a rescue group in the aftermath of a viral video of the encounter , which some...
Weighs In on
May 29, 2020 12:58 PM CDT
Obama Weighs In on George Floyd
'This shouldn't be normal in 2020 America'
- President Obama has weighed in on the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. "This shouldn't be 'normal' in 2020 America," he wrote in a statement posted online . "It can't be 'normal.' If we want our children to grow up in a nation...
Man in Park
May 28, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Man in Park Incident: Let's Not Destroy Her Life
Christian Cooper condemns threats against Amy Cooper, who called 911 on him
- The New York City birdwatcher targeted in an allegedly racist confrontation with a woman in Central Park on Memorial Day says he's "not excusing the racism" but thinks attacks on the woman, who has since been fired from her finance job , might go too far. "Any of...
for White Woman Who
Called Cops on Black Man
May 27, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
Big Consequences for White Woman Who Called Cops on Black Man
She loses job and, at least temporarily, her dog
- A day after a white woman called police on a black man who asked her to leash her dog in Central Park, consequences: The woman, Amy Cooper, has been fired. "Following our internal review of the incident in Central Park yesterday, we have made the decision to terminate the...
Reaction to Black
Man in Park
May 26, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Woman Apologizes for 'Unacceptable' Reaction to Black Man in Park
Man who asked Amy Cooper to leash dog records her calling cops, saying he's 'threatening' her
- A video taken in New York's Central Park over the weekend has gone viral, leading to accusations of racism against an investment exec. Per NBC New York , a woman posted the clip on Twitter showing her brother, Christian Cooper, in a confrontation with Amy Cooper (no relation) Monday after...
Trump's Name Scrubbed
From NYC Ice Rinks
Oct 23, 2019 1:32 PM CDT
Trump's Name Scrubbed From NYC Ice Rinks
Wollman Rink, Lasker Rink have been run by his organization since 1980s
- For years, skaters at a pair of ice rinks in Manhattan's Central Park have been surrounded by the Trump name. Now, no longer. The official names of the New York rinks are Wollman Rink and Lasker Rink, but Donald Trump started running them in the 1980s, at which point...
In Central Park,
a Rare Brilliance
Nov 1, 2018 7:10 AM CDT
In Central Park, a Rare Brilliance Spotted
Mandarin duck, usually seen only in Asia, shows up out of the blue in NYC
- If there's anywhere you'll see a punk rocker with a "multicolored mohawk," New York City would be the place. But the Mandarin duck that's been hanging out in Central Park since mid-October is another story entirely. The
New York Times
reports the creature with brilliantly...
Mom, Kids Hit by Falling Tree
in NYC. Now She's Suing
Sep 13, 2017 7:45 PM CDT
Mom, Kids Hit by Falling Tree in NYC. Now She's Suing
Anne Monoky Goldman seeks $200M in damages
- A woman hospitalized after she was hit by a falling tree while protecting her three young sons is suing New York City and the Central Park Conservancy for $200 million, WABC reports. According to ABC News , 39-year-old Anne Monoky Goldman was pushing two of her children, ages 4 and 2,...
Donald Trump Refuses to Admit
the Central Park 5 Are Innocent
Oct 7, 2016 3:26 PM CDT
Donald Trump Refuses to Admit the Central Park 5 Are Innocent
Trump "was the fire starter, he lit the match," says one of the falsely accused group
- Donald Trump has revived the controversy over his opinion on the 1989 "Central Park Jogger" case. New York City was rocked by the sensational crime, in which a young woman jogging alone in Central Park at night was bludgeoned, raped, tied up and left for dead. Five teenage boys—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
Dad of 3 Killed on His Way to His High School Reunion
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.