Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Trump Arrives at NYC Court for Fraud Trial
Stories 1 - 20 |
Yellow Trucking Won't Make It
Aug 7, 2023 5:41 AM CDT
'Profound Disappointment:' Yellow Trucking Won't Make It
Longstanding firm files bankruptcy, will liquidate
- There will be no miracle recovery for the venerable Yellow trucking company. The 99-year-old firm filed for bankruptcy late Sunday, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. "It is with profound disappointment that Yellow announces that it is closing after nearly 100 years in business," said Chief Executive Darren Hawkins....
Founder of Crypto Lender
Arrested on Fraud Charges
Jul 13, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Founder of Crypto Lender Arrested on Fraud Charges
Celsius Network already has filed Chapter 11
- Alexander Mashinsky, who founded the cryptocurrency lending platform Celsius Network, was arrested Thursday on federal charges. Prosecutors say Mashinsky mispresented the financial health of the company to investors, ABC News reports. At the same time, the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Trade Commission filed lawsuits saying the founder...
Bed Bath & Beyond's Owner
Decides to Take Its Name
Jun 29, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
Bed Bath & Beyond's Owner Decides to Take Its Name
Overstock.com will disappear in takeover
- Bed Bath & Beyond will live on, online at least, after Overstock.com acquired the bankrupt retail chain's intellectual property assets for $21.5 million. The online retailer Overstock.com is dumping its name online and will become Bed Bath & Beyond, which declared bankruptcy earlier this year. Overstock....
A Pandemic Darling
Falls Into Bankruptcy
Jun 13, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
A Pandemic Darling Falls Into Bankruptcy
Instant Pot is in trouble as sales wane
- The all-in-one pressure cooker Instant Pot became a smash hit during the pandemic. But that meteoric growth couldn't be sustained, and maker Instant Brands filed for bankruptcy Monday, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The newspaper sums things up succinctly, noting that the move reflects "the difficulties that Instant...
May 24, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Goodbye to Virgin Orbit
Bankrupt company sells $36M in assets, waves goodbye
- Virgin Orbit is no more. Richard Branson's company, which sought to deliver satellites to low Earth orbit using a modified Boeing 747 , has officially shut down after failing to secure the necessary funding to stay afloat. Its first-ever satellite mission in the UK in January was marred by a...
Your Bed Bath & Beyond
Coupons Are Done Tuesday
Apr 24, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
Your Bed Bath & Beyond Coupons Are Done Tuesday
On Wednesday, the liquidation sales begin
- Bed Bath & Beyond has filed for bankruptcy , which means that the chain's ubiquitous 20% off coupons will soon be useless. But, as
reports, you do have until the end of Tuesday before stores stop accepting them. Starting Wednesday, stores (including the chain's BuyBuy Baby stores)...
Bed Bath & Beyond
Files for Bankruptcy
Apr 23, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Bed Bath & Beyond Files for Bankruptcy
Retail giant seeks Chapter 11 protection after turnaround fails
- After warning of possible bankruptcy in January, home goods retail giant Bed Bath & Beyond has filed for Chapter 11 protection, reports NPR . This follows steady declines in both customers and profits. Despite taking numerous measures such as closing stores, cutting jobs, and securing bank and investor loans to keep...
For the 2nd Time in 5 Years,
Bad News for David's Bridal
Apr 18, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
For the 2nd Time in 5 Years, Bad News for David's Bridal
70-year-old chain, $257M in debt, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- For more than 70 years, David's Bridal has served as one of the nation's biggest one-stop wedding party shops, claiming that 1 in 4 brides don its wedding dresses on their big day. Now, however, the Pennsylvania-based chain is $257 million in debt, per court documents, and it'...
Families Face Quandary
in Collecting From Alex Jones
Mar 19, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
Families Face Quandary in Collecting From Alex Jones
Infowars host, facing judgment, has been shifting assets
- Alex Jones, the Infowars conspiracy broadcaster who has been ordered to pay families of Sandy Hook mass shooting victims more than $1 billion in defamation damages, has been moving assets to where his creditors can't touch them. Jones has put property, business deals, and cash totaling millions of dollars...
Alex Jones: DOJ Is
Out for My $2K Cat
Feb 24, 2023 9:45 AM CST
Alex Jones: DOJ Is Out for My $2K Cat
It's not clear that the government wants Mushu, though it is after assets Jones may have hidden
- Alex Jones claims the Justice Department is after his cat. In a video shared by his wife on Twitter, the Infowars host is shown cradling a Ragdoll cat named Mushu while telling viewers that the DOJ believes he used the animal to hide cash owed to the families of the...
Alex Jones Is 'Holding Firearms'
for Jan. 6 Participants
Feb 17, 2023 8:09 AM CST
Alex Jones Is 'Holding Firearms' for Jan. 6 Participants
Bankruptcy court filing says he's spending almost $100K a month
- In bankruptcy, Alex Jones is still spending more every month than most Americans make in a year, according to documents filed with a Texas bankruptcy court this week. The conspiracy theorist, who filed for bankruptcy in December, said his outgoing expenditures include $40,000 a month in taxes, $14,000...
Alex Jones Battles
for $1.3M Salary
Dec 20, 2022 12:53 PM CST
In Bankruptcy, Alex Jones Battles for $1.3M Salary
He asks judge to order Infowars' parent firm to go back to paying him $54K biweekly, up from $20K
- A salary of $10,000 a week isn't enough for a bankrupt Alex Jones, who has asked a judge for almost three times that amount. The Infowars host on Monday requested that federal bankruptcy Judge Christopher Lopez restore the $1.3 million annual salary he received from Infowars' parent...
Alex Jones Files
Dec 2, 2022 10:37 AM CST
Alex Jones Files for Bankruptcy
He claims his liabilities are a thousand times higher than his assets
- Alex Jones, whose critics have long accused him of being morally bankrupt, has filed for personal bankruptcy. In a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing Friday in the southern district of Texas, the Infowars founder cited assets between $1 million and $10 million and debts one thousand times that, between $1 billion...
Collapse of Crypto Exchange
Is Taking a Toll on Bitcoin
Nov 11, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Collapse of Crypto Exchange Is Taking a Toll on Bitcoin
FTX files for bankruptcy, and the drama is hurting the value of the top cryptocoin
- Embattled cryptocurrency exchange FTX—short billions of dollars—is seeking bankruptcy protection following its collapse this week. Meanwhile, FTX and its CEO and founder Sam Bankman-Fried are under investigation by the DOJ and the SEC to determine whether any criminal activity or securities offenses were committed, per the AP . The...
Judge Approves $2.46B Plan
in Abuse Case Against Scouts
Sep 8, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Judge Approves $2.46B Plan in Abuse Case Against Scouts
More than 80,000 men have filed claims
- A bankruptcy judge on Thursday approved a $2.46 billion reorganization plan proposed by the Boy Scouts of America, which would allow it to keep operating while compensating tens of thousands of men who say they were sexually abused as children while involved in Scouting. Although legal hurdles remain, the...
New Mega Cruise Ship No One
Wants Is Headed for Scrapyard
Jun 22, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
New Mega Cruise Ship No One Wants Is Headed for Scrapyard
Owner of unfinished Global Dream II files for bankruptcy, without a buyer for vessel
- The Global Dream II's maiden voyage will be one its builders probably didn't anticipate: from the shipyard to the scrapyard. Intended to be "one of the world's largest liners," the cruise ship was designed to transport 9,000 passengers and was nearing completion in a...
A Cosmetics Giant
Files for Bankruptcy
Jun 16, 2022 11:59 AM CDT
A Cosmetics Giant Files for Bankruptcy
Iconic Revlon is struggling to deal with debt, supply issues, changing tastes
- Revlon, the 90-year-old multinational cosmetics company, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, weighed down by rising debts, global supply chain disruptions, and new rivals. With household names like Almay to Elizabeth Arden, Revlon has been a mainstay on store shelves for decades, the AP reports. And it's a...
Is Going to Prison
Apr 29, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Boris Becker Is Going to Prison
Tennis great gets 2.5 years for financial offenses
Boris Becker is going to prison. A judge in London sentenced the former tennis star to 2½ years behind bars on Friday for shady financial moves during bankruptcy, reports the AP . It could have been worse for the 54-year-old, however: He faced up to seven years for the offenses....
Apr 18, 2022 6:49 AM CDT
Infowars Files for Bankruptcy
Move by Alex Jones comes amid legal losses over his Sandy Hook hoax claims
- Alex Jones' legal and financial trouble keeps mounting. His Infowars site has filed for bankruptcy after Jones lost three lawsuits to relatives of victims in the Sandy Hook school shooting, reports Bloomberg . Jones initially spread the conspiracy theory that the shooting was a hoax, though he has since recanted. Victims'...
Tried to Conceal
Mar 22, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Boris Becker Tried to Conceal Tennis Trophies
Wimbledon champ is on trial, said to have 'acted dishonestly' in hiding assets during bankruptcy
- Former tennis champion Boris Becker went on trial Monday in London for allegedly concealing property—including nine trophies—from bankruptcy trustees and dodging his obligation to disclose financial information to settle his debts. Prosecutors said Becker, 54, "acted dishonestly" when he hid or failed to hand over assets before...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.