Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Democratic presidential primaries
Stories 21 - 40 |
Pete Buttigieg Has Bad
News for Campaign Staff
Mar 1, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Pete Buttigieg Has Bad News for Campaign Staff
The 2020 candidate is dropping out
- Democrat Pete Buttigieg is ending his campaign for president. Three people with knowledge of Buttigieg’s decision tell the AP he is informing campaign staff. They were not authorized to speak publicly and requested anonymity. His campaign says Buttigieg will speak Sunday night in South Bend, Indiana. Buttigieg rose to...
a Big Claim
After SC Win
sunday talk shows
Mar 1, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Biden Makes a Big Claim After SC Win
Joe Biden and Sen. Sanders both hit the talk-show circuit
- Joe Biden said Sunday he can "unite this country, the whole country" after scoring a comeback victory in South Carolina’s Democratic primary that could force moderate rivals out of the race and blunt the rise of progressive leader Bernie Sanders, the AP reports. Biden vowed he would improve...
South Carolina Is Voting.
6 in 10 Want Reparations
Feb 29, 2020 3:00 PM CST
South Carolina Is Voting. 6 in 10 Want Reparations
These primary voters are also more likely to want the Obama days
- South Carolina Democrats were voting in Saturday’s presidential primary with a greater sense of nostalgia for the Obama presidency than voters in earlier contests—likely reflecting the state's sizable bloc of African American voters, the AP reports. Voters in the Palmetto State were more likely than those in...
A New Poll Has Troubling
News for Elizabeth Warren
Feb 28, 2020 12:06 PM CST
A New Poll Has Troubling News for Elizabeth Warren
She's trailing in her home state of Massachusetts
- Elizabeth Warren didn't see the results she wanted in Iowa , New Hampshire , and Nevada , and it remains to be seen how she'll fare in the South Carolina primary on Saturday, though it doesn't look promising there , either. With Super Tuesday coming up in a few days, Warren'...
Polls Show Biden Way
Ahead in South Carolina
Feb 27, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Polls Show Biden Way Ahead in South Carolina
Polls show former vice president leading closest rivals by around 20 points
- A new poll shows that Joe Biden, who needs a victory in South Carolina's Democratic primary Saturday, has nothing to worry about. He leads Bernie Sanders, 36% to 26%, in a Monmouth University poll and Tom Steyer, 35% to 17%, in a Clemson University Palmetto Poll. Steyer was third...
Nevada Dem Party:
We Already Need Help
Feb 22, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Nevada Dem Party: We Already Need Help
The caucus is short of volunteers
- Nevada Democrats are hoping to avoid a repeat of the chaos that ensnared the Iowa caucuses, as voters gather across the Silver State on Saturday to make their presidential preferences known, the AP reports. Iowa's process cratered this month following a rushed effort by state Democrats to deploy a...
Some Democratic Candidates
Are Nearly Out of Cash
Feb 21, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Some Democratic Candidates Are Nearly Out of Cash
Buttigieg, Warren, Biden, Klobuchar running low
- At a time in the race when running a presidential campaign is getting more expensive, many of the Democrats remaining have less money. After being camped in Iowa for what seemed like ages, the candidates now have multiple, scattered primaries ahead. And on top of competing with Bernie Sanders' fundraising...
Nevada Caucus Volunteers
Sound a Little Worried
Feb 14, 2020 4:31 PM CST
Nevada Caucus Volunteers Sound a Little Worried
Democrats drop apps but haven't completed their replacement
- The state Democratic Party has taken the first step in trying to avoid an Iowa-like debacle on Nevada's caucus day, Feb 22. The party dropped the two apps that were going to be used, because they were made by the same company whose app has been blamed for the...
97% of Precincts Are In,
but Iowa Is Too Close to Call
Feb 6, 2020 3:02 AM CST
97% of Precincts Are In, but Iowa Is Too Close to Call
Buttigieg's lead over Sanders has narrowed
- More than 48 hours after the Iowa caucuses closed, no winner has been declared—and even with 97% of precincts reporting as of early Thursday, it is still too close to call. According to results released after midnight, Pete Buttigieg's lead over Sen. Bernie Sanders has narrowed, the
New Debate Requirements
Could Put Bloomberg Onstage
Jan 31, 2020 4:05 PM CST
New Debate Requirements Could Put Bloomberg Onstage
DNC eliminates the individual donor threshold
- If the Democratic National Committee would change the rules "so I could get into the debates," Michael Bloomberg said this week, "I'd be happy." Done. The committee has announced major changes in its requirements for candidates to qualify for the presidential primary debates, Politico reports....
Jan 23, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Bloomberg Has Gone From Bottom to Fourth: Poll
Survey hints that staying out of Iowa and New Hampshire may not hurt
- A Monmouth University poll released Wednesday shows that Mike Bloomberg's strategy might be working. The former mayor of New York came in at 9%, good for fourth place with Democratic voters nationally. That's 4 points higher than last month and is Bloomberg's best showing so far in...
to Send One
Jan 7, 2020 2:45 PM CST
Bloomberg Just Dropped About $10M to Send One Message
The Democratic presidential hopeful bought a 60-second, national Super Bowl ad
- Michael Bloomberg might just get your attention on Super Bowl Sunday—if, that is, you like watching the ads. The Democratic presidential hopeful has dished out big bucks for a 60-second commercial his campaign says will focus on criticizing President Trump, the
New York Times
reports. "The biggest point...
Wall Street Picks
a 2020 Favorite
Dec 21, 2019 4:00 PM CST
Wall Street Picks a 2020 Favorite
As you can guess, it isn't Elizabeth Warren
- The financial sector, blamed by progressives for spawning the 2008 economic collapse, is lining up behind Pete Buttigieg’s presidential campaign. The mayor of South Bend, Indiana, has collected more campaign cash from donors and political action committees tied to the financial, insurance, and real estate sector than any other...
Bloomberg Files Papers
With the FEC to Run
Nov 21, 2019 4:15 PM CST
Bloomberg Files Papers With the FEC to Run
Filing says he's in, but aides say former mayor still hasn't decided
- The paperwork Michael Bloomberg filed paperwork Thursday with the FEC says he's a Democratic candidate for president. But his aides, again, said not so fast. Bloomberg had to take this step within 15 days of putting himself on the Arkansas and Alabama primary ballots earlier this month, CBS News...
Bloomberg Sorry About Policy
He Defended for Many Years
Nov 18, 2019 5:01 AM CST
Bloomberg Sorry About Policy He Defended for Many Years
'I want you to know that I realize back then I was wrong'
- Michael Bloomberg, who supported the controversial police "stop and frisk" policy during his 12 years as mayor of New York City and was still defending it as recently as a few months ago, has had a change of heart. The Democrat, speaking at a black church in Brooklyn on...
Harris Campaign Makes
Some 'Tough Choices'
Oct 31, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Harris Campaign Makes Some 'Tough Choices'
Staffers are being laid off or shifted to Iowa
- Sen. Kamala Harris says she fully intends to win the Democratic nomination—but she is competing against rivals with a lot more money. According to a campaign memo seen by Politico Wednesday, the senator from California is laying off dozens of aides at her Baltimore headquarters, shifting other staffers to...
Drops Out of
Aug 15, 2019 3:15 PM CDT
Another Democrat Drops Out of 2020 Race
Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper ended his campaign Thursday
- Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper on Thursday ended his longshot bid for the Democratic presidential nomination and said he may instead challenge one of the most vulnerable Senate Republicans in 2020. In a video message, Hickenlooper said he had heard from many in his state urging him to enter the...
Jun 16, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Surprise Candidates Surge in Latest Dem Polling
In South Carolina and the nation, 2 candidates are rising
- A poll out of South Carolina reflects what's going on nationally: Joe Biden's numbers are dipping while Sen. Elizabeth Warren and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg are gaining ground—but not enough to take his place, the
Post and Courier
reports. Biden still holds a 20-point lead in...
Trump: These 2 Democrats
Will Be Last Ones Standing
Apr 17, 2019 1:28 AM CDT
Trump: These 2 Democrats Will Be Last Ones Standing
It'll be 'Crazy' Sanders and 'Sleepy' Biden, he says
- President Trump is predicting that Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and former Vice President Joe Biden will be the final two Democrats standing in the 2020 race against him, the AP reports. Looking ahead to his re-election campaign, Trump tweeted Tuesday that he believes "it will be Crazy Bernie Sanders...
California Shakes Up
2020 Primary Contests
Sep 28, 2017 12:09 AM CDT
California Shakes Up 2020 Primary Contests
State will now vote on Super Tuesday
- Super Tuesday, the jam-packed day of presidential primary voting every four years, may get supercharged in 2020 with California joining the pack, bringing along its prize of the most delegates. Gov. Jerry Brown gave his stamp of approval Wednesday to a measure pushing California's primary up to the beginning...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.