Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Makes His Call on
Nov 29, 2021 6:37 AM CST
Matthew McConaughey Makes His Call on Governor Run
Texas native has decided not to take on Gregg Abbott in his home state
- Looks like it's back to Hollywood and/or family life for Matthew McConaughey. The 52-year-old actor has made headlines of late—and polled pretty well doing so—by publicly mulling whether he should make a run for governor in his home state of Texas. Over the weekend, however, he announced...
Eyes Run for
Nov 24, 2021 12:11 AM CST
Kinzinger Eyes Run for Illinois Governor
He thinks he's the only candidate capable of beating current Democratic governor
- Adam Kinzinger isn't running for re-election to the House of Representatives next year, but the anti-Trump Republican may be running for governor of his state. "I think I’m the only candidate that could win, at least that’s out there now," against the current Illinois governor,...
Governor Slams Tweet Offering
$500 'Bounty' on Teachers
Nov 19, 2021 1:38 PM CST
Governor Slams Tweet Offering $500 'Bounty' on Teachers
Moms for Liberty group offers reward for educators breaking state law on racism discussions
- Last week, New Hampshire's Department of Education announced it had set up an online portal where parents could lodge discrimination complaints against teachers. Now, the state's governor is slamming a local conservative group's response to that announcement, reports the AP . New Hampshire has a new law on...
In Interview Transcripts, a
'Pugilistic and Paranoid' Cuomo
Nov 11, 2021 6:43 AM CST
In Interview Transcripts, a 'Pugilistic and Paranoid' Cuomo
NY AG Letitia James releases transcripts from probe into sex harassment claims against ex-gov
- The 515-page transcript from an 11-hour interview with former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been released, and it shows an alternately defiant and aloof interviewee who denies the sexual harassment accusations against him. The documentation of the July 17 conversation between Cuomo and Joon Kim and Anne Clark, the...
We'll Give You
$5K to Move Here
Oct 25, 2021 8:40 AM CDT
DeSantis to Anti-Vax Cops: We'll Give You $5K to Move Here
Governor hopes to sign legislation that would offer bonus to relocating officers resisting vax mandates
- Ron DeSantis has an offer for police officers around the country: If you don't want to get vaccinated and may have to leave your job because of it, his state has a place for you. The Florida governor appeared on Fox News on Sunday, telling host Maria Bartiromo that...
Obama Comes Out Swinging
In Race for Virginia Gov
Oct 24, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Obama Comes Out Swinging In Race for Virginia Gov
Terry McAuliffe wants to be governor again
- Former President Barack Obama offered a sharp rebuke of the Republican candidate for Virginia governor, Glenn Youngkin, as he encouraged voters on Saturday to support Democrat Terry McAuliffe in the closely watched race. Obama accused Youngkin of portraying himself as a friendly everyman while encouraging what Obama called “lies...
Sorry for Possible
Oct 16, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Psaki Says Sorry for Possible Breach: 'Words Certainly Matter'
Ethics watchdog says press secretary shouldn't have promoted Va. gubernatorial contender McAuliffe
- President Biden's camp is going all in for support of Terry McAuliffe, the Democratic candidate for Virginia governor, but one member of that team is now getting dinged for not lying low. Reuters reports that the nonprofit watchdog Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has called for an...
Reporter Finds Security Flaw,
Gets Missouri Governor's Wrath
Oct 15, 2021 5:10 AM CDT
Reporter Finds Security Flaw, Gets Missouri Governor's Wrath
Gov. Mike Parson says 'Post-Dispatch' reporter is a criminal hacker who will be punished
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
story this week exposed a major security flaw in a website run by Missouri's education department—but the newspaper didn't get a thank-you note from Gov. Mike Parson. Instead, the Republican governor vowed to investigate and prosecute the paper and the "hacker" who...
Prepares Run for Office
Oct 14, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
, Prepares Run for Office
2-time Pulitzer winner is gearing up for governor's race in Oregon
Nicholas Kristof is shifting from columnist to politician. The longtime
New York Times
opinion writer is leaving the newspaper as he considers a run for governor in Oregon, per the
. "This has been my dream job, even with malaria, a plane crash in Congo and periodic arrests...
Governor Gets Trapped in
Oct 8, 2021 3:59 AM CDT
Governor Gets Trapped in Malfunctioning Elevator
West Virginia's Jim Justice was stuck for around 30 minutes
- A malfunction caused West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice to become trapped in the elevator at the governor's residence Thursday, his office said. The Republican governor was stuck for about 30 minutes after the malfunction as mansion staff, state police, and other state government personnel worked to open the elevator,...
Oct 6, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Weird Political Maneuvering Is Happening in Idaho
When the cat's away...
- Idaho Gov. Brad Little left the state on Tuesday, and Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin took full advantage of that fact. With Little in Texas meeting with other Republican governors about border issues, McGeachin—who serves as acting governor in Little's absence and is running for governor herself—issued an...
Abbott's Sinking Poll Numbers
May Give Beto an Opening
Sep 19, 2021 3:43 PM CDT
Abbott's Sinking Poll Numbers May Give Beto an Opening
Axios reports ex-congressman plans to announce run for Texas governor later this year
- Beto-for-president fizzled . Maybe Beto-for-governor will work? Axios reports that former Democratic congressman Beto O'Rourke will announce a run for Texas governor later this year. A spokesman says "no decision has been made" but acknowledges that O'Rourke has been busy making phone calls. The Axios report says O'...
2 of Gavin
Sep 18, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
2 of Gavin Newsom's Kids Have COVID
They're said to have mild symptoms and will be quarantined; Newsom, wife, other 2 kids negative
- It's been a good news/bad news kind of week for Gavin Newsom. On Tuesday, he survived California's recall election to remain governor of the state. On Friday, a not-so-cheery announcement out of his office, per SFGate : Two of his four young children have tested positive for COVID. "...
California Governor Recall
Results: Gavin Newsom Wins
Sep 15, 2021 12:33 AM CDT
California Governor Recall Results: Gavin Newsom Wins
He'll remain in office, AP projects
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Tuesday became the second governor in US history to defeat a recall aimed at kicking him out of office early, a contest the Democratic governor crafted as part of national battle for his party’s values in the face of the coronavirus pandemic and lingering...
As California Votes, Cries
of 'Rigged' Election Surface
Sep 14, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
As California Votes, Cries of 'Rigged' Election Surface
Polls suggest Newsom will survive recall election, though foes on right smell another 'Big Lie'
- It's Election Day in California. Voters will decide whether Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom gets to stay in office, and the latest polls suggest his job his safe. An average of polls at FiveThirtyEight has Newsom up 57 to 41 on the should-he-stay or should-he-go question. Not a single poll...
In California Recall,
a Late 'Curveball'
in case you missed it
Aug 29, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
In California Recall, a Late 'Curveball'
Rise of controversial radio host Larry Elder has some Republicans worried
- The recall election for California Gov. Gavin Newsom is Sept. 14—though mail ballots already are being cast—and the contest remains tight in the polls. It's so close that any one of a number of factors could decide it, and the recent surge of conservative radio host Larry...
Hochul: Truth Is New York Saw
Another 12K COVID Deaths
Aug 25, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Hochul: Truth Is New York Saw Another 12K COVID Deaths
She ups New York's total from the 43K deaths Cuomo reported as of Monday
- New York Gov. Kathy Hochul promised more government transparency on her first day in office, and her administration quickly delivered it by acknowledging nearly 12,000 more deaths in the state from COVID-19 than had been publicized by her predecessor, Andrew Cuomo. New York now reports nearly 55,400 people...
One Last 'Quirk' From Cuomo:
a 'Late-Night Ascension'
Aug 23, 2021 2:09 PM CDT
One Last 'Quirk' From Cuomo: a 'Late-Night Ascension'
Few New Yorkers will see governor-to-be Kathy Hochul's historic moment
- An aide to outgoing New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said out loud Monday what a lot of people surely already were thinking: The 63-year-old is done with elected politics once his resignation takes effect at midnight. "He is exploring a number of options, but has no interest in running...
Andrew Cuomo Fends Off
One Last Controversy
Aug 23, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Andrew Cuomo Fends Off One Last Controversy
Outgoing governor under fire over report he left his dog behind at mansion
- Monday is Andrew Cuomo's final day as the governor of New York state, but he's not escaping without one last batch of negative headlines. The
Albany Times Union
reports that Cuomo left his dog behind at the governor's mansion after moving in with his sister in Westchester...
Just 4 Days
Test, It's Now
Aug 23, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
Just 4 Days After Positive Test, It's Now Negative for Abbott
Texas governor says vaccine likely helped keep his illness 'brief and mild'
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says he has tested negative for COVID-19, just four days after testing positive. "I'm told that my infection was brief and mild because of the vaccination that I received," Abbott said in a video clip posted on his Twitter account on Saturday. "...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
Police Say Suspect in UNLV Shooting Is Dead
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.