Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Mar 2, 2015 12:03 AM CST
Nimoy Gets Final Salute From Space
Astronaut Terry Virts tweets photo of Vulcan salute
- Much of planet Earth reverberated with the news of Leonard Nimoy's death on Friday , but perhaps the most touching tribute came from above, via the Twitter account of Terry Virts. The astronaut, currently hanging out in the final frontier aboard the International Space Station, tweeted a photo of his...
'Can't Make It' to
Feb 28, 2015 3:34 PM CST
William Shatner 'Can't Make It' to Nimoy's Service
Says he 'feels awful,' proposes online gathering
- One familiar face who apparently won't be appearing at Spock's funeral : Kirk. William Shatner tweeted today that he "can't make it" to Leonard Nimoy's memorial service tomorrow because he's currently in Florida doing charity work, Gawker reports. Noting that he had "agreed to...
Feb 27, 2015 5:30 PM CST
Obama: 'I Loved Spock'
President joins everyone else mourning Leonard Nimoy
- President Obama is in safe bipartisan territory on this one: "I loved Spock," he declared today upon the death of Leonard Nimoy at age 83. "Long before being nerdy was cool, there was Leonard Nimoy," he said in a White House statement, reports
. Obama lauded...
Dead at 83
Feb 27, 2015 11:29 AM CST
Leonard Nimoy Dead at 83
Star Trek's 'Spock' died of lung disease
- He lived long and prospered: Leonard Nimoy, best known as Spock of
fame, died this morning at the age of 83. Nimoy died at home of end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, his wife tells the
New York Times
. Nimoy discussed his struggle with the disease last year , blaming...
I Have Lung Disease
Feb 7, 2014 1:13 AM CST
Leonard Nimoy: I Have Lung Disease
'I quit smoking too late,' he says
- People who want to live long and prosper should quit smoking now, Leonard Nimoy says. The actor best known for playing Spock in
has been diagnosed with the lung disease COPD at the age of 82—30 years after he quit smoking, which he says wasn't soon...
Feb 7, 2013 12:58 PM CST
William Shatner Calls Real-Life Astronaut in Space
Has some questions for Canadian Chris Hadfield
- An astronaut on the International Space Station got to talk to none other than Captain James T. Kirk today, Space.com reports. Chris Hadfield first heard from William Shatner on Twitter last month, when the actor asked the Canadian astronaut, "Are you tweeting from space?" The conversation grew to...
Oct 4, 2011 2:25 AM CDT
Spock Transports to Final
Live long and prosper, Leonard Nimoy
- Spock may live long and prosper, but he's had it with Star Trek conventions. Leonard Nimoy is ditching the Vulcan mind meld with devoted fans at the Trekkie fests now that he's 80 (in human years). The cosmic get-together over the weekend in suburban Chicago celebrating the 45th...
10 Bizarre Actors
jada: metal rocker?
Aug 1, 2010 5:04 AM CDT
10 Bizarre Actors Turned Singers
Who knew Jada Pinkett Smith had a fondness for metal?
- The news that
star Hugh Laurie is recording a blues album prompted
to reminisce over 10 other unlikely actors who turned to singing…often with hilarious results:
: Shockingly, he managed to top the German charts even though he recorded songs like the super-creepy “Jump in
Apr 21, 2010 7:10 PM CDT
Leonard Nimoy Retiring His Spock Ears
At 79, he's leaving the stage for good
- Don't expect to see Leonard Nimoy in the
sequel now in the works for 2012. The 79-year-old tells the
he's retiring from all acting gigs—including Spock—for good. "I've been doing this professionally for 60 years,” he says. “I want to get...
Still The Best
May 13, 2009 11:36 AM CDT
Still The Best
- It’s been a long time since James Kirk set out on his 5-year mission, and those early voyages may look cheesy, low-budget, or even sexist now. But “the original
still has a passion and vitality,” writes Andrew O’Hehir of Salon. “It stands out,...
I Am Not a
Kook But I Play One on TV
Oct 27, 2007 8:29 AM CDT
I Am Not a Kook But I Play One on TV
Shatner uninvited to reprise Capt. Kirk in new Trek flick
- Beam me up, Scotty...please? When the gazillionth Star Trek movie goes into production, it will go there without the original Captain Kirk. While the latest movie incarnation of Star Trek will include the veteran Spock character, played by Leonard Nimoy, director J.J Abrams has passed on including William...
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
College Student Finds Quite the Wedding Dress Bargain
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.