Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Google to Pay $27M to Settle
Claims of 'Evil' Practices
Dec 5, 2023 11:38 AM CST
Google to Pay $27M to Settle Claims of 'Evil' Practices
2016 lawsuit claimed confidentiality agreements forbid workers from reporting SEC violations
- Google will pay $27 million to settle a lawsuit alleging it silenced employees through "evil" and illegal policies. It's "the largest agreement of its kind," per Semafor . But it's "a drop in the bucket" for Google, whose parent company "turned almost $20 billion...
Trudeau Slams Meta After
News Deal With Google
Nov 30, 2023 4:06 AM CST
Trudeau Slams Meta After News Deal With Google
Google will pay $74M a year to Canadian news industry
- Canada's government said Wednesday it reached a deal with Google for the company to contribute $100 million Canadian dollars annually to the country's news industry to comply with a new Canadian law requiring tech companies to pay publishers for their content. The agreement removes a threat by Google...
Google Is Days Away From
Deleting Inactive Accounts
Nov 27, 2023 1:38 PM CST
Google Is Days Away From Deleting Inactive Accounts
Here's what you need to know to keep your account from disappearing
- Have a Google account you haven't used in a while? If you want to keep it from disappearing, you should sign in before the end of the week. Under Google's updated inactive account policy, which the tech giant announced back in May , accounts that haven't been used...
Largest Antitrust Trial in US in
25 Years Is About to Kick Off
Sep 12, 2023 7:58 AM CDT
Largest Antitrust Trial in US in 25 Years Is About to Kick Off
Justice Department takes on Google over its search engine dominance
- Google will confront a threat to its dominant search engine beginning Tuesday when federal regulators launch an attempt to dismantle its internet empire in the biggest US antitrust trial in a quarter century. Over the next 10 weeks, federal lawyers and state attorneys general will try to prove Google rigged...
2 Tech Giants
Jul 25, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
2 Tech Giants Beat Expectations
Alphabet, Microsoft deliver strong earnings reports
- Two major tech companies delivered earnings reports after trading ended Tuesday—and both Microsoft and Alphabet, Google's parent company, beat analysts' expectations. Before the closely watched results were released, analysts said the companies would need to show strong numbers to justify the steep rise in stock prices this year....
It's a '5-Alarm Fire'
for Tax-Prep Firms
Jul 12, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
It's a '5-Alarm Fire' for Tax-Prep Firms
H&R Block, others allegedly shared millions of taxpayers' private info with tech firms
- Members of Congress are calling for criminal charges against some of America's largest tax-prep companies for allegedly sharing tens of millions of taxpayers' legally protected data with Google and Meta. As far back as 2011, H&R Block, TaxSlayer, and TaxAct allegedly shared private information entered into its website...
New Twitter CEO Starts
Paying the Bills: Report
Jun 23, 2023 6:21 AM CDT
New Twitter CEO Starts Paying the Bills: Report
Linda Yaccarino is clearing up social media's unpaid bills to Google for cloud services, per 'WSJ'
- The "Velvet Hammer" is already getting it done at Twitter. Linda Yaccarino, the "hard-charging executive" enticed by Elon Musk from overseeing ads at NBCUniversal to become Twitter's new CEO , is paying the social media company's bills again—specifically, to Google, reports the
Wall Street Journal
Google Got $10M for
'Deceptive' Abortion Ads
Jun 15, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
Google Got $10M for 'Deceptive' Abortion Ads
Ads directed searchers to centers that 'shame those seeking abortions,' per report
- People who use Google to search for "abortion pill" and "abortion clinic near me" are instead shown advertisements for crisis pregnancy centers whose goal is to dissuade individuals from accessing abortion. Over two years, Google accepted $10.2 million from anti-abortion groups to post such advertisements alongside legitimate...
Google to Employees: Get
Your Butts Into the Office
Jun 8, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Google to Employees: Get Your Butts Into the Office
The 'tug of war' between companies, staffers on remote/hybrid work continues
- A new report cited by
details a "happy middle ground" reached by many companies and their workers on coming back to the office now that the worst of the pandemic has passed. That "truce" of sorts entails hybrid arrangements, in which staffers come in a few days...
Supreme Court Sides With
Google, Twitter in 2 Big Cases
May 18, 2023 12:16 PM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With Google, Twitter in 2 Big Cases
Justices side with social media giants in closely watched liability challenges
- The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered good news to Google, Twitter, and social media in general Thursday in a pair of cases regarding liability for what users post .
In one, the court sidestepped a case against Google that might have allowed more lawsuits against social media companies, per the
If You Want to Keep Your
Dusty Gmail Account, Act Now
May 17, 2023 12:27 PM CDT
If You Want to Keep Your Dusty Gmail Account, Act Now
If you haven't used an old Gmail account for two years or longer, sign in to keep it
- Even a global tech behemoth like Google has to do a little housecleaning sometimes. In a blog post published Tuesday, Google VP of Product Management Ruth Kricheli announced changes to the company's inactive account policies. Kricheli said that starting in December, the company will begin deleting accounts that have...
'Godfather of AI'
Says He's Done,
Is Scared by AI
in case you missed it
May 6, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
'Godfather of AI' Says He's Done, Is Scared by AI
According to Dr. Geoffrey Hinton, it's hard to stop 'bad actors' from doing 'bad things' with AI
- Dr. Geoffrey Hinton is an AI pioneer, but according to a new interview, he's beginning to feel a bit like Victor Frankenstein studying his monstrous creation. "It is hard to see," Hinton tells the
New York Times
, "how you can prevent the bad actors from using...
A Potential Samsung Move
Is Fraying Nerves at Google
Apr 17, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
A Potential Samsung Move Is Fraying Nerves at Google
Phone-maker may switch search engine to Bing, reports the 'New York Times'
- It's a move that would have been unthinkable even a few short months ago: Samsung is considering ditching Google as its default search engine for phones and replacing it with Microsoft's new AI-powered Bing , reports the
New York Times
. The move could result in Google parent company Alphabet...
Google Warns 3B Users
of New Chrome 'Zero Day'
Apr 16, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Google Warns 3B Users of New Chrome 'Zero Day'
The search giant says hackers know about the issue and can exploit it
- Google has released a security update for its Chrome web browser addressing issues, including one it considers a severe risk. For over 3 billion global Chrome users, the April 11 discovery of the first known Zero Day vulnerability of the year adds urgency to the call for users to update...
Microsoft Adds AI Tools
to Its Office Software
Mar 16, 2023 5:58 PM CDT
Microsoft Adds AI Tools to Its Office Software
Google is doing the same with its Workspace applications
- Microsoft is infusing artificial intelligence tools in its Office software, including Word, Excel, and Outlook emails. The company said Thursday the new feature, named Copilot, is a processing engine that will allow users to do tasks like summarize long emails, draft stories in Word, and animate slides in PowerPoint. Microsoft...
in the DMZ
Feb 22, 2023 1:00 PM CST
Wildlife Is Flourishing in the DMZ
Google project offers virtual tour of restricted zone
- The Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), a strip of land between North and South Korea 160 miles long and 2.5 miles wide, has been sealed off for nearly 70 years—but civilians can now see a restricted area near it for themselves through a Google Arts and Culture project. Google, with...
Reviewers Are Stunned
at How Good Bing Is
Feb 9, 2023 11:07 AM CST
Reviewers Are Stunned at How Good Bing Is
Techies test the new AI search engine, which is still being rolled out
- Kevin Roose is a tech columnist for the
New York Times
, and he's as surprised as you are that he concludes his latest column like so: "I'm switching my desktop computer's default search engine to Bing. And Google, my default source of information for my entire...
Google's AI Chatbot Delivers
Wrong Answer in Demo
Feb 8, 2023 1:10 PM CST
Google's AI Chatbot Delivers Wrong Answer in Demo
Bard flubbed question on James Webb Space Telescope
- If AI chatbots could feel embarrassment, Google's Bard might be blushing. In a demo tweeted Monday by Google ahead of a launch event, Bard confidently delivered a wrong answer, the
reports. In response to the query, "What new discoveries from the James Webb Space Telescope can I...
Google Unveils Rival
'Bard' to ChatGPT
Feb 7, 2023 10:25 AM CST
Google Unveils Rival 'Bard' to ChatGPT
Company hopes to keep up in the AI race
- ChatGPT has been making headlines lately, but now it's going to have to share that media real estate: On Monday, Google owner Alphabet announced its new chatbot service, Bard, as well as plans to pump more artificial intelligence into its search functions and open up some of its AI...
Feds, States File 'Huge'
Lawsuit Against Google
Jan 24, 2023 1:32 PM CST
Feds, States File 'Huge' Lawsuit Against Google
Antitrust lawsuit targets dominance in digital advertising
- The Justice Department and several states sued Google on Tuesday, alleging that its dominance in digital advertising harms competition. The government alleges that Google’s plan to assert dominance has been to "neutralize or eliminate" rivals through acquisitions and to force advertisers to use its products by making it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.