Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Memo Shows US Diplomats
Splitting With Biden on Israel
Nov 6, 2023 7:20 PM CST
Memo Shows US Diplomats Splitting With Biden on Israel
State Department staff members call for making criticism of military strategy public
- A dissent memo circulated by State Department staff members includes blunt criticism of President Biden's diplomatic efforts involving the Israel-Hamas war and proposes the administration make changes. Although it's not clear how many people signed the memo, or what it says in its final form, indications are that...
State Department Issues
Rare Worldwide Alert
Oct 20, 2023 4:14 PM CDT
State Department Issues Rare Worldwide Alert
All Americans overseas should 'exercise increased caution'
- All Americans overseas should "exercise increased caution," the State Department said in a rare worldwide alert issued Friday. The notice cited "increased tensions in various locations around the world" and "the potential for terrorist attacks, demonstrations or violent actions against US citizens and interests." In...
US: Hundreds of Evacuees
Have Reached Port Sudan
Apr 29, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
US: Hundreds of Evacuees Have Reached Port Sudan
Group reportedly met at golf course in Khartoum, took overland route to sea
- Hundreds of Americans fleeing two weeks of deadly fighting in Sudan reached the east African nation's port Saturday in the first US-run evacuation, completing a dangerous land journey under escort of armed drones, the State Department reported. American unmanned aircraft, which have been keeping an eye on overland evacuation...
US Bolsters Post on Fentanyl in
Pharmacy Pills Sold in Mexico
Mar 18, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
US Bolsters Post on Fentanyl in Pharmacy Pills Sold in Mexico
Victim's family has tried to get agencies to act since overdose in 2019
- The State Department has strengthened its cautioning about pharmacies in Mexico selling counterfeit pills laced with fentanyl, warning that the doses can be fatal. The alert was posted Friday, per the AP , mentioning stores for the first time. "Counterfeit pills are readily advertised on social media and can be...
Don't Spend Spring Break
in Mexico, Texas Warns
Mar 12, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
Don't Spend Spring Break in Mexico, Texas Warns
Americans who crossed the border have met with cartel violence recently
- After a total of seven Americans have been kidnapped, killed, or gone missing in Mexico in the past few weeks, Texas officials are urging spring breakers to spend their vacation someplace else. "Drug cartel violence and other criminal activity represent a significant safety threat to anyone who crosses into...
For $2.3K, Americans
Can Sponsor a Refugee
Jan 19, 2023 4:15 PM CST
For $2.3K, Americans Can Sponsor a Refugee
Welcome Corps initiative allows citizens to help displaced people make a home in the US
- Ordinary Americans can apply to sponsor refugees on an expanded basis through a new effort expected to assist with the Biden administration's goal of welcoming 125,000 refugees this fiscal year. Nine federally funded nonprofits have helped settle most refugees in the US since 1980, though recent trials have...
'Havana Syndrome' Victims
to Receive Compensation
Jun 23, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
'Havana Syndrome' Victims to Receive Compensation
Biggest amounts could go to those who lost their jobs because of symptoms
- After years of investigations and legislative pressure from Congress on their behalf, some victims of "Havana syndrome" are to receive $100,000 to $200,000 each in compensation. The health problems first reported by diplomats and intelligence officials include headaches, vision problems, dizziness, and brain fog. The US has...
After 6 Years
Detained in Iran,
She's Back Home
With Daughter, 7
Mar 17, 2022 12:38 AM CDT
After 6 Years Detained in Iran, She's Back Home With Daughter, 7
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori are released
After years in detention in Iran, two British-Iranian nationals are back in the UK. Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori were released Wednesday and arrived home early Thursday, following months of negotiations between the UK and Iran, the BBC reports. In a photo shared by Ashoori's daughter, Zaghari-Ratcliffe, 43,...
on Pompeo Spur
Paid Security Tab
Mar 12, 2022 10:30 AM CST
'Serious' Threats on Pompeo Spur Big Government- Paid Security Tab
State Dept. is reportedly paying more than $2M a month to protect ex-secretary of state, former aide
- The State Department says it's paying more than $2 million per month to provide 24-hour security to ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a former top aide, both of whom face "serious and credible" threats from Iran. The department told Congress in a report that the cost of...
Fee Hike Is
on the Way
Dec 23, 2021 2:32 PM CST
Big Passport Fee Hike Is on the Way
Passport books will cost $20 more starting Monday
- American citizens applying for new passports or renewing old ones next week might get sticker shock: The fee is set to jump by 18%, more than double the rate of inflation, starting Dec. 27. The State Department tweeted this week that the cost of a passport book is going up...
Blinken's Own Staffers Warned
Him of Quick Afghan Collapse
Aug 20, 2021 8:05 AM CDT
Blinken's Own Staffers Warned Him of Quick Afghan Collapse
State Department chief received internal document on July 13
- The White House says nobody anticipated that Afghanistan would fall so quickly. But the
Wall Street Journal
is out with a scoop about an internal State Department cable dated July 13 that warned things were about to get very bad in a hurry:
The cable, signed by 23 staffers,
Carving of Swastika
at State Department
Jul 27, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
Blinken Denounces Carving of Swastika at State Department
Etching occurred inside the building's security perimeter
- A swastika carved into an elevator car has been discovered at the State Department in Washington—in a location within the building's security perimeter. The elevator is close to the office of the special envoy charged with monitoring and opposing anti-semitism, Axios reports. Secretary of State Antony Blinken emailed...
US Passports Are Getting
a Third Gender Option
Jul 1, 2021 7:07 AM CDT
US Passports Are Getting a Third Gender Option
State Department says applicants can now self-select gender
- Under changes announced by the State Department on Wednesday, American passports will still list a person's gender—but it will be up to the individual whether it says M or F, and a third option is on the way. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said in a release that...
12 CIA Agents on 3 Continents
Treated for 'Havana Syndrome'
May 13, 2021 7:06 AM CDT
12 CIA Agents on 3 Continents Treated for 'Havana Syndrome'
That's just so far this year; total cases number more than 130: reports
- More than 130 US personnel within the CIA, State Department, Defense Department, and other agencies have suffered ailments, including what could be permanent brain damage, as a result of mysterious incidents that began five years ago—far more than the 60 cases that have been publicly disclosed. That's according...
US to Put 'Do Not Travel' Label
on 80% of World's Nations
Apr 19, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
US to Put 'Do Not Travel' Label on 80% of World's Nations
State Department discourages Americans from going abroad during pandemic
- The State Department doesn't like the idea of Americans traveling to other nations during the pandemic, and it's about to make that clear. About 80% of the world's countries are getting the "Do Not Travel" warning, the
reports, up from 16% as of Monday....
Broke Ethics Rules
Apr 16, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Watchdog: Pompeo Broke Ethics Rules
Staff members were asked to pick up the dog and make salon appointments, report says
- More than 100 times, Mike Pompeo or his wife, Susan, asked State Department employees to handle errands and personal tasks for them, such as booking salon appointments and picking up the family dog. The former secretary of state told investigators the requests were minor, the sort of things friends do...
Trump Appointee Arrested
for Role in Capitol Riot
Mar 5, 2021 4:55 AM CST
Trump Appointee Arrested for Role in Capitol Riot
Federico Klein accused of assaulting police officers
- One of the latest people arrested in connection with the Capitol riot is a former State Department aide who worked on former President Trump's 2016 campaign. Federico Klein, 42, is the first known Trump appointee facing charges over the Jan. 6 attack, Politico reports. According to documents seen by...
Biden Makes Big Break
From Trump on Foreign Policy
Feb 5, 2021 7:09 AM CST
Biden Makes Big Break From Trump on Foreign Policy
'This war must end,' he says of Yemen conflict
- President Biden, declaring that "America is back," delivered his first diplomatic address as president Thursday. He outlined several policies that reverse those of the Trump administration, and one that also breaks with an Obama administration policy that he helped shape, the
New York Times
reports. Biden, calling Saudi...
to Europe, Just
Jan 12, 2021 1:47 PM CST
Pompeo's Trip to Europe, Just Announced, Is Canceled
State Department says the Biden transition is the reason, not threats of violence
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has canceled what would have been his final official trip abroad as concerns grow over potential violence at next week's presidential inauguration, the State Department said Tuesday. Less than 18 hours after announcing that Pompeo would be traveling to Brussels on Wednesday to close...
Critics Raise Alarm on
11th-Hour Foreign Policy Move
Jan 12, 2021 11:10 AM CST
Critics Raise Alarm on 11th-Hour Foreign Policy Move
Designation of Houthi rebels as terrorists could make it harder to deliver food amid crisis
- The Trump administration just made two big foreign policy moves. The one that drew most of the headlines was the designation of Cuba as a sponsor of terrorism. The other, though, is causing plenty of consternation on Capitol Hill and among humanitarian groups. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.