Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Husband Kills Wife as
She Files Restraining Order
Oct 5, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
Husband Kills Wife as She Files Restraining Order
Gregory Hightower, a Navy recruiter in Texas, was subsequently killed in a shootout
- A Texas woman was in the midst of filing a domestic violence complaint against her husband when he fatally shot her as she held their baby, authorities say. Takara Hightower, 34, was being interviewed by two agents with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service in the Humble home she shared with...
A $1.2B Ship
Now, a Sailor
Hears His Fate
Oct 1, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
Ryan Sawyer Mays found not guilty of arson in 2020 burning of USS Bonhomme Richard
- A military judge has acquitted a 21-year-old sailor of arson charges after a 2020 fire destroyed a $1.2 billion Navy amphibious assault ship. Capt. Derek Butler, who oversaw the trial by court-martial for Seaman Recruit Ryan Sawyer Mays, handed down his not-guilty verdict on Friday, more than two years...
Not Want to
Return to US
Sep 27, 2022 5:03 AM CDT
'Fat Leonard' Really Does Not Want to Return to US
Fugitive seeks asylum in Venezuela, according to anonymous law enforcement official
- The fugitive defense contractor nicknamed “Fat Leonard" who orchestrated a huge bribery scheme involving dozens of US Navy officials, has requested asylum in Venezuela, a law enforcement official said Monday, nearly a week after he was captured in the South American country. Leonard Glenn Francis slipped away from house...
Before He Made
It to Russia
Sep 22, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
'Fat Leonard' Recaptured Just Before He Made It to Russia
Military contractor traveled through Mexico, Cuba, was busted in Venezuela after fleeing California
The escaped criminal known as Fat Leonard made it all the way from California to Venezuela, and would have continued on to Russia, before his capture Tuesday. Leonard Glenn Francis, the Malaysian military contractor who orchestrated the worst corruption scandal in Navy history, was awaiting sentencing for bribery and...
First US Navy Destroyer
Sunk by Enemy Fire Is Found
Aug 21, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
First US Navy Destroyer Sunk by Enemy Fire Is Found
Tales of kindness, bravery surround 1917 sinking of USS Jacob Jones
- The first US Navy destroyer to be sunk by enemy fire—specifically a torpedo shot from a German submarine—has been discovered more than a century after ending up in a watery grave. The USS Jacob Jones was sent to the submarine-infested waters around the UK to help safeguard supply...
for Leak That Poisoned Water
Jul 1, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Navy Investigation Blames 'Complacency' for Leak That Poisoned Water
Pearl Harbor trouble stemmed from leak at Hawaii fuel storage facility
- The Navy has admitted that a very long list of errors and failures led to a fuel leak that poisoned thousands of people in Hawaii. A long-awaited report released Thursday sets out what the
calls "operational and leadership failures, communication breakdowns and cavalier attitudes toward oversight" that...
Texas Explorer Finds
the Deepest Shipwreck Ever
Jun 25, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Texas Explorer Finds the Deepest Shipwreck Ever
USS Samuel B. Roberts went down in WWII fighting Japanese warships in Philippine Sea
- In its determined last stand in October 1944, the Sammy B took on the Japanese during a World War II battle that eventually sent it down to the ocean floor. The US Navy destroyer (official name: the USS Samuel B. Roberts) remained lost to humankind for nearly 80 more years—...
Another Military Aircraft
Crashes Near Site Where
5 Died the Day Prior
Jun 10, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
Another Military Aircraft Crashes Near Site Where 5 Died the Day Prior
Everyone on board survived the Thursday crash
- A Navy helicopter crashed Thursday and everyone on board survived near the California desert site where a day earlier a Marine Osprey went down, killing all five people aboard , authorities said. Four people were aboard the Navy chopper, which went down around 6pm on a training range while conducting a...
Navy Fighter Jet
Crashes, Killing Pilot
Jun 4, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Navy Fighter Jet Crashes, Killing Pilot
F/A-18E Super Hornet went down Friday in Southern California desert
- A Navy fighter jet crashed Friday in the Southern California desert, killing the pilot, authorities said. An F/A-18E Super Hornet based at Naval Air Station Lemoore went down at about 2:30pm in the area of Trona, an unincorporated Mojave Desert community in San Bernardino County, the Navy announced in...
At Least 2 of the 3
Apr 21, 2022 12:09 AM CDT
At Least 2 of the 3 Aircraft Carrier Sailor Deaths Were Suicides
3rd sailor's cause of death has not yet been confirmed
Suicide is to blame in the deaths of at least two of the three sailors from the dry-docked USS George Washington aircraft carrier who died within a week of one another. Retail Services Specialist 3rd Class Mika’il Rayshawn Sharp, 23, who died off-base in Portsmouth on April 9,...
Crews Try to Save
Apr 14, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Crews Try to Save The Sullivans
World War II destroyer, named for 5 brothers, is taking on water
- A decommissioned World War II-era destroyer docked near downtown Buffalo was taking on water and listing perilously on Thursday. Crews were working to keep the USS The Sullivans from sinking at its berth at the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park, where it had been open for tours....
US Navy Makes a
Move in the Red Sea
Apr 13, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
US Navy Makes a Move in the Red Sea
Says new task force will patrol the body of water
- The US Navy said Wednesday it will begin a new task force with allied countries to patrol the Red Sea after a series of attacks attributed to Yemen's Houthi rebels in a waterway that's essential to global trade. The AP reports Vice Adm. Brad Cooper, who oversees the...
US Rep's Take on Navy's Plan:
Taxpayers Owed an Apology
Apr 8, 2022 7:40 AM CDT
US Rep's Take on Navy's Plan: Taxpayers Owed an Apology
Navy intends to decommission some of its newest warships
- The Navy that once wanted smaller, speedy warships to chase down pirates has made a speedy pivot to Russia and China—and many of those recently built ships could be retired. The US Navy wants to decommission nine ships in the Freedom-class of littoral combat ships—warships that cost about...
Honor for Ginsburg
Apr 1, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Navy Announces Honor for Ginsburg
Secretary credits late justice for women serving in Navy's ranks now
- Recognizing that it's among the beneficiaries of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's work to secure gender equality, the Navy has announced a ship will be named for the late Supreme Court justice. "She is instrumental to why we now have women of all backgrounds, experiences and talents serving within...
in Loss of Navy Ship
Feb 25, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Court-Martial Ordered in Loss of Navy Ship
Bonhomme Richard burned for 5 days in San Diego Harbor
- A sailor accused of starting the fire that destroyed the USS Bonhomme Richard will face a court-martial for arson, according to charges filed Friday. Ryan Mays faces two counts in military court for the July 2020 blaze that injured dozens of personnel aboard the amphibious assault ship as the fire...
Navy Seal Candidate Dies
During Grueling 'Hell Week'
Feb 7, 2022 4:00 AM CST
Navy Seal Candidate Dies During Grueling 'Hell Week'
Seaman who died Friday has been identified
The Navy SEAL candidate who died Friday after "Hell Week" has been identified as a New Jersey 24-year-old. Seaman Kyle Mullen had been a standout basketball and football player at Manalapan High School who then played football for Yale and Monmouth universities, the
New Jersey Star-Ledger
Navy Scrambles to Retrieve
Jet From Bottom of Sea
Jan 26, 2022 12:24 PM CST
Navy Scrambles to Retrieve Jet From Bottom of Sea
Analysts say China might to try claim F35 fighter in South China Sea
: The Navy is scrambling to retrieve an F35 fighter jet that ended up at the bottom of the South China Sea after crash-landing on the deck of the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier Monday. It's not clear exactly where the crash happened, but CNN describes the sea as...
Longer Boot Camp to Address
Character, Suicide Issues
Jan 7, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Longer Boot Camp to Address Character, Suicide Issues
Navy training will cover more areas, including extremism
- The Navy is adding two weeks to boot camp this year in a major overhaul aimed at improving recruits' war fighting and emergency skills while also focusing on suicide prevention and character issues such as sexual assault, hazing, and extremism in the ranks. Navy officials said Friday that expanding boot...
Prosecutors Suggest Motive
After Fire on Navy Ship
Dec 14, 2021 8:33 AM CST
Prosecutors Suggest Motive After Fire on Navy Ship
Sailor Ryan Sawyer Mays was allegedly 'disgruntled' because his SEAL training fell through
Prosecutors say a Navy sailor set fire to his ship last year because he was "disgruntled" after dropping out of training to become a Navy SEAL, reports the AP . Seaman Apprentice Ryan Sawyer Mays is accused of starting a fire that led to the destruction of the USS...
She Gave the OK for Steel Used
in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Nov 9, 2021 7:37 AM CST
She Gave the OK for Steel Used in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Retired metallurgist Elaine Thomas, 67, admits she falsified foundry's test reports on steel strength
- For about four decades, Elaine Thomas worked as a metallurgist for a steel foundry in Washington state, churning out steel castings used by Navy contractors to make submarine hulls. And for about 30 of those years, prosecutors now say, Thomas falsified results from tests designed to test the steel's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.