Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Coast Guard: We
Found 4 Missing Divers
Aug 14, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Coast Guard: We Found 4 Missing Divers
Men rescued Sunday off coast of North Carolina in the 'graveyard of the Atlantic'
- The Coast Guard has an update on four divers who went missing over the weekend off the coast of North Carolina, and it's a good one: The men have been found alive, reports CNN . An early Monday post from USCG Mid-Atlantic on X, formerly known as Twitter, noted that...
Mom of Navy Sailor
Him to Spy for China
Aug 10, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Mom of Navy Sailor Allegedly Encouraged Him to Spy for China
Prosecutors say she urged son to cooperate when he was approached by CCP
- One of the Navy sailors accused of spying for China was encouraged to do so by his own mother, prosecutors say. The mother of Jinchao Wei, 22, allegedly believed that if her son sold secrets to the Chinese Communist Party he would be rewarded with a position in China's...
Biden Picks Female Admiral
to Add to Joint Chiefs
Jul 21, 2023 2:02 PM CDT
Biden Picks Female Admiral to Add to Joint Chiefs
Lisa Franchetti would be the first woman to run a US service branch
- President Biden has decided to nominate Adm. Lisa Franchetti as chief of naval operations, a promotion that would make her the first female member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in US history. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin had suggested that Biden select Adm. Samuel Paparo, the
Coast Guard Lays Out
Next Phase at Titanic Site
Jun 25, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Coast Guard Lays Out Next Phase at Titanic Site
Navy calls off planned use of salvage system
- The Coast Guard said Sunday it is leading an investigation into the loss of the Titan submersible that was carrying five people to the Titanic, to determine what caused it to implode. Capt. Jason Neubauer, chief investigator, said that the salvage operations are ongoing and that the accident site has...
Lost WWII US Navy Destroyer
Found Near Okinawa
May 28, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Lost WWII US Navy Destroyer Found Near Okinawa
84 sailors died when the Mannert L. Abele was attacked in 1945
- Recently the ocean gave up one of its many mysteries, reports NBC News, when a group of civilian underwater explorers known as the Lost 52 Project unveiled a major discovery. They found the long-lost wreckage of the USS Mannert L. Abele, a Navy destroyer sunk in the Pacific by a...
Long-Lost US Submarine
Found Off Japan's Coast
Feb 20, 2023 12:24 PM CST
Long-Lost US Submarine Found Off Japan's Coast
USS Albacore sank about 80 years ago, with a crew of 85 sailors
- A US military submarine that disappeared almost 80 years ago has been discovered off the coast of Japan, reports NPR . The USS Albacore was lost with a crew of 85 sailors on Nov. 7, 1944. The Navy announced that a team using autonomous underwater vehicles discovered the Albacore near the...
4th Sailor Assigned to
USS George Washington
Dies by Suicide
Feb 2, 2023 1:10 AM CST
4th Sailor Assigned to USS George Washington Dies by Suicide
This one comes less than a year after the first 3
- Less than a year after three sailors assigned to the USS George Washington died by suicide over a one-week span , another sailor assigned to the aircraft carrier has taken his own life. "On Jan. 23, 2023, a Sailor assigned to USS George Washington (CVN 73) passed away at a...
Husband Kills Wife as
She Files Restraining Order
Oct 5, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
Husband Kills Wife as She Files Restraining Order
Gregory Hightower, a Navy recruiter in Texas, was subsequently killed in a shootout
- A Texas woman was in the midst of filing a domestic violence complaint against her husband when he fatally shot her as she held their baby, authorities say. Takara Hightower, 34, was being interviewed by two agents with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service in the Humble home she shared with...
A $1.2B Ship
Now, a Sailor
Hears His Fate
Oct 1, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
Ryan Sawyer Mays found not guilty of arson in 2020 burning of USS Bonhomme Richard
- A military judge has acquitted a 21-year-old sailor of arson charges after a 2020 fire destroyed a $1.2 billion Navy amphibious assault ship. Capt. Derek Butler, who oversaw the trial by court-martial for Seaman Recruit Ryan Sawyer Mays, handed down his not-guilty verdict on Friday, more than two years...
Not Want to
Return to US
Sep 27, 2022 5:03 AM CDT
'Fat Leonard' Really Does Not Want to Return to US
Fugitive seeks asylum in Venezuela, according to anonymous law enforcement official
- The fugitive defense contractor nicknamed “Fat Leonard" who orchestrated a huge bribery scheme involving dozens of US Navy officials, has requested asylum in Venezuela, a law enforcement official said Monday, nearly a week after he was captured in the South American country. Leonard Glenn Francis slipped away from house...
Before He Made
It to Russia
Sep 22, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
'Fat Leonard' Recaptured Just Before He Made It to Russia
Military contractor traveled through Mexico, Cuba, was busted in Venezuela after fleeing California
The escaped criminal known as Fat Leonard made it all the way from California to Venezuela, and would have continued on to Russia, before his capture Tuesday. Leonard Glenn Francis, the Malaysian military contractor who orchestrated the worst corruption scandal in Navy history, was awaiting sentencing for bribery and...
First US Navy Destroyer
Sunk by Enemy Fire Is Found
Aug 21, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
First US Navy Destroyer Sunk by Enemy Fire Is Found
Tales of kindness, bravery surround 1917 sinking of USS Jacob Jones
- The first US Navy destroyer to be sunk by enemy fire—specifically a torpedo shot from a German submarine—has been discovered more than a century after ending up in a watery grave. The USS Jacob Jones was sent to the submarine-infested waters around the UK to help safeguard supply...
for Leak That Poisoned Water
Jul 1, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Navy Investigation Blames 'Complacency' for Leak That Poisoned Water
Pearl Harbor trouble stemmed from leak at Hawaii fuel storage facility
- The Navy has admitted that a very long list of errors and failures led to a fuel leak that poisoned thousands of people in Hawaii. A long-awaited report released Thursday sets out what the
calls "operational and leadership failures, communication breakdowns and cavalier attitudes toward oversight" that...
Texas Explorer Finds
the Deepest Shipwreck Ever
Jun 25, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Texas Explorer Finds the Deepest Shipwreck Ever
USS Samuel B. Roberts went down in WWII fighting Japanese warships in Philippine Sea
- In its determined last stand in October 1944, the Sammy B took on the Japanese during a World War II battle that eventually sent it down to the ocean floor. The US Navy destroyer (official name: the USS Samuel B. Roberts) remained lost to humankind for nearly 80 more years—...
Another Military Aircraft
Crashes Near Site Where
5 Died the Day Prior
Jun 10, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
Another Military Aircraft Crashes Near Site Where 5 Died the Day Prior
Everyone on board survived the Thursday crash
- A Navy helicopter crashed Thursday and everyone on board survived near the California desert site where a day earlier a Marine Osprey went down, killing all five people aboard , authorities said. Four people were aboard the Navy chopper, which went down around 6pm on a training range while conducting a...
Navy Fighter Jet
Crashes, Killing Pilot
Jun 4, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Navy Fighter Jet Crashes, Killing Pilot
F/A-18E Super Hornet went down Friday in Southern California desert
- A Navy fighter jet crashed Friday in the Southern California desert, killing the pilot, authorities said. An F/A-18E Super Hornet based at Naval Air Station Lemoore went down at about 2:30pm in the area of Trona, an unincorporated Mojave Desert community in San Bernardino County, the Navy announced in...
At Least 2 of the 3
Apr 21, 2022 12:09 AM CDT
At Least 2 of the 3 Aircraft Carrier Sailor Deaths Were Suicides
3rd sailor's cause of death has not yet been confirmed
Suicide is to blame in the deaths of at least two of the three sailors from the dry-docked USS George Washington aircraft carrier who died within a week of one another. Retail Services Specialist 3rd Class Mika’il Rayshawn Sharp, 23, who died off-base in Portsmouth on April 9,...
Crews Try to Save
Apr 14, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Crews Try to Save The Sullivans
World War II destroyer, named for 5 brothers, is taking on water
- A decommissioned World War II-era destroyer docked near downtown Buffalo was taking on water and listing perilously on Thursday. Crews were working to keep the USS The Sullivans from sinking at its berth at the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park, where it had been open for tours....
US Navy Makes a
Move in the Red Sea
Apr 13, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
US Navy Makes a Move in the Red Sea
Says new task force will patrol the body of water
- The US Navy said Wednesday it will begin a new task force with allied countries to patrol the Red Sea after a series of attacks attributed to Yemen's Houthi rebels in a waterway that's essential to global trade. The AP reports Vice Adm. Brad Cooper, who oversees the...
US Rep's Take on Navy's Plan:
Taxpayers Owed an Apology
Apr 8, 2022 7:40 AM CDT
US Rep's Take on Navy's Plan: Taxpayers Owed an Apology
Navy intends to decommission some of its newest warships
- The Navy that once wanted smaller, speedy warships to chase down pirates has made a speedy pivot to Russia and China—and many of those recently built ships could be retired. The US Navy wants to decommission nine ships in the Freedom-class of littoral combat ships—warships that cost about...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Mick Jagger: My Kids Don't Need $500M
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.