Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NASA Is Back in Contact
With Its Satellite
Jul 7, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
NASA Is Back in Contact With Its Satellite
Space agency had temporarily lost communications with CAPSTONE exploring lunar orbit
We have contact with CAPSTONE once again. Just hours after NASA announced Wednesday that communications had been lost with the 55-pound, $32.7 million satellite it sent into space to test-drive a new lunar orbit, the space agency reported that it has restored contact, per the AP . NASA had...
No, That's Not a Microwave
NASA Launched Into Space
Jun 28, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
No, That's Not a Microwave NASA Launched Into Space
Tiny CAPSTONE spacecraft will test-drive a new lunar orbit to be used by astronaut way station
- In between the gravities of the Earth and the moon lies a halo-shaped orbit that will be used by NASA's soon-to-come Gateway, a lunar rest stop of sorts for astronauts when they head back to the moon as part of the agency's Artemis missions . The agency has now...
Think You Can Build a Nuclear
Power Plant On the Moon?
Nov 29, 2021 7:20 PM CST
Think You Can Build a Nuclear Power Plant On the Moon?
If so, NASA would like to hear from you
- NASA wants there to be a nuclear power plant on the moon, and it needs your help. The goal is to build a fission reactor within 10 years, and the plan is to get someone else to get it started, the AP reports. In a statement , Battelle Energy Alliance and...
America's 2 Biggest Rivals
Are Building a Lunar Base
Mar 10, 2021 3:08 PM CST
America's 2 Biggest Rivals Are Building a Lunar Base
China, Russia say they will 'conduct close interaction' on scientific base
- China and Russia are gearing up to become America's biggest rivals on the moon as well as the Earth. China's National Space Agency and Russia's Roscomos agency have announced plans to jointly build a lunar research station, the BBC reports. "China and Russia will use their...
China Brings Back
of Moon Rocks
Dec 17, 2020 2:41 AM CST
China Brings Back 'Treasure Trove' of Moon Rocks
They're the first fresh lunar samples in 44 years
- A Chinese lunar capsule returned to Earth on Thursday with the first fresh rock samples from the moon in more than 40 years, offering the possibility of new insights into the history of the solar system and marking a new landmark for China's rapidly advancing space program, the AP...
Nov 17, 2020 2:38 PM CST
China Readies an Historic Launch
It aims to bring back moon rocks for the first time in 40 years
- China is continuing to flex its space muscles. On Tuesday, it rolled a rocket into place that is scheduled to lift off for an ambitious mission to the moon early next week, reports the AP . The Long March-5 will carry the Chang'e 5, whose mission is to fetch rocks...
The Moon's Lava Tubes
Might Fit Entire Cities
Aug 15, 2020 4:10 PM CDT
The Moon's Lava Tubes Might Fit Entire Cities
Imagine a tunnel that fits Dubai's Burj Khalifa. Now that's big.
- Looks like Mars and the moon contain huge lava tubes that offer protection from solar radiation and meteors—which makes them possible homes for future explorers, LiveScience reports. A new paper says Martian tunnels appear to range from 130 to 1,300 feet in diameter, while the moon's are...
As Nations Eye
May 6, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
As Nations Eye Mining Moon, the 'Artemis Accords' Emerges
Trump administration reportedly creates international pact on moon bases, resource mining
- The Trump administration is reportedly working on an international agreement that would lay out ground rules for moon bases and lunar mining. The Artemis Accords, named for NASA's new Artemis moon program, proposes having "safety zones" around a country's moon base. "The idea is if you...
NASA Says Moon Mission
'Starting to Feel Very Real'
May 1, 2020 6:36 AM CDT
NASA Says Moon Mission 'Starting to Feel Very Real'
3 firms have contracts to design landers
- NASA had good news for Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk but bad news for Boeing Thursday. Bezos' Blue Origin company and Musk's SpaceX have been selected, along with Alabama-based Dynetics, to develop spacecraft that can land people on the moon, the BBC reports. Under contracts totaling just under $1...
Apr 11, 2019 5:19 PM CDT
Israel's Ambitious Moon Landing Attempt Fails
It was supposed to be the first privately funded lunar mission
- An Israeli spacecraft lost contact with Earth and crashed just moments before it was to land on the moon late Thursday, failing in an ambitious attempt to make history as the first privately funded lunar mission . The spacecraft lost communication with ground control as it was making its final descent...
First Private Spacecraft
Is Headed to the Moon
Feb 18, 2019 8:27 AM CST
First Private Spacecraft Is Headed to the Moon
Israel is aiming to launch an unmanned lander this week
- An Israeli nonprofit says it'll launch what it hopes will be the first private spacecraft to land on the moon this week, reports the AP . SpaceIL and state-owned Israel Aerospace Industries told reporters on Monday that the landing craft, dubbed Beresheet, or Genesis, will ship from Florida, where, propelled...
on the Moon
Jan 16, 2019 4:36 PM CST
Cotton Sprout on the Moon Has Perished
The experiment is still seen as historic
- Just a day after announcing that it had successfully sprouted a cotton plant aboard a probe on the moon’s surface, the China National Space Administration said Wednesday that the plant died with the onset of the frigid lunar night, the
reports. Nighttime temperatures on the moon can plummet...
On the Far Side
of the Moon, Cotton Grows
Jan 15, 2019 6:50 AM CST
On the Far Side of the Moon, Cotton Grows
China's getting into extraterrestrial agriculture, sprouts seeds in moon lander
- For the first time anybody is aware of, seeds have sprouted on a celestial body beyond Earth. The China National Space Administration released a photo Tuesday showing that cotton seeds brought to the far side of the moon by the country's Chang'e 4 lander had germinated, the
China Releases Incredible
Panorama of Moon's Far Side
Jan 11, 2019 7:30 AM CST
China Releases Incredible Panorama of Moon's Far Side
China hails success of mission
- China on Friday broadcast pictures taken by its rover and lander on the moon's far side, in what its space program hailed as another triumph for the groundbreaking missio n to the less-understood sector of the lunar surface. The pictures on state broadcaster CCTV showed the Jade Rabbit 2...
China Just Made
History on the Moon
Jan 3, 2019 2:26 AM CST
China Just Made History on the Moon
Craft lands on the far side of the moon, the first to do so
- A Chinese spacecraft on Thursday made the first-ever landing on the far side of the moon, state media said. The lunar explorer Chang'e 4 touched down at 10:26am, China Central Television said during its noon broadcast. The far side of the moon faces away from Earth and is...
China's Latest Move to Bring
a Pink Floyd Song to Life
May 21, 2018 12:02 PM CDT
China's Latest Move to Bring a Pink Floyd Song to Life
Launch of Queqiao satellite will set China up to send lunar probe to dark side of the moon
- While China and the US go back and forth on tariffs here on Earth, the former is forging ahead with a more celestial grand plan. In what it hopes will eventually nab it a world first, China on Monday launched its Queqiao (aka "Magpie Bridge") satellite, per state...
Surprise: Moon May
Have a Lot of Water
Jul 30, 2017 1:35 PM CDT
Surprise: Moon May Have a Lot of Water
New study suggests interior has large quantities
- There may be vast stores of water on the moon, a discovery that could be good news for future lunar explorers. Brown University scientists detected large quantities of water "glass beads" trapped in ancient volcanic deposits across the moon's surface, indicating there's far more water deep below...
NASA Finds Long-Lost
Lunar Probe Still in Orbit
Mar 13, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
NASA Finds Long-Lost Lunar Probe Still in Orbit
Ground radar spotted Chandrayaan-1
- Almost eight years after it stopped communicating with ground stations, NASA has rediscovered India's Chandrayaan-1 lunar probe. The long-lost spacecraft didn't crash into the lunar surface in 2009, as some had suspected, but continued circling the moon in a slightly different orbit. NASA says it detected the small...
of Other World That
Helped Form Moon
Jun 6, 2014 8:28 AM CDT
Finally, Evidence of Other World That Helped Form Moon
Lunar rocks bolster a long-held theory about how the moon was created
- A new analysis of three lunar rocks brought back by Apollo astronauts in the '60s breathes new life into an old theory some thought too simple: that the moon was created when another planet, Theia, crashed into Earth billions of years ago, leaving behind molten debris that eventually cooled...
China's Moon Rover
'Back From the Dead'
Feb 13, 2014 3:07 AM CST
China's Moon Rover 'Back From the Dead'
Jade Rabbit survives lunar night
- Zombie on the moon: China's Jade Rabbit lunar rover has shown signs of life despite earlier reports that it had died following mechanical difficulties in the extreme cold of the lunar night. The rover—which signed off with the ominous words "Goodnight humanity" at the end of January—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.