Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Yahoo Pulls the Plug
on Operations in China
Nov 2, 2021 7:49 AM CDT
Yahoo Pulls the Plug on Operations in China
Company cites 'challenging' corporate environment
- Yahoo Inc. on Tuesday said it has pulled its services from China, citing an “increasingly challenging business and legal environment.” The company said in a statement that its services were no longer accessible from mainland China as of Nov. 1, per the AP . The
Wall Street Journal
For 2 Internet Giants of Old,
Another Change of Hands
May 3, 2021 8:38 AM CDT
For 2 Internet Giants of Old, Another Change of Hands
Verizon sells Yahoo and AOL
- AOL and Yahoo are being sold again, this time to a private equity firm. Verizon will sell Verizon Media, which consists of the pioneering tech platforms, to Apollo Global Management in a $5 billion deal, per the AP . Verizon said Monday that it will keep a 10% stake in the...
'One of the Dumbest Places
on the Internet' Is Ending
in case you missed it
Apr 10, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
'One of the Dumbest Places on the Internet' Is Ending
Yahoo Answers is calling it quits
- The premise was noble. The result, not so much. Yahoo announced Monday that its Yahoo Answers feature is shutting down next month after 16 years, reports
. The idea was to create an internet forum where people could post questions and have them answered in like fashion—a "...
Here's How to Get Your
Oct 15, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Here's How to Get Your Yahoo Settlement
After breach, you can get a (modest) payout or credit monitoring
- If you had a Yahoo account between 2012 and 2016, you may now be able to claim a little payback over the company's massive data breach . Spoiler alert: You won't be getting rich. Yahoo is offering at least two years of free credit monitoring, reports CNN . If you'...
Ex-Yahoo Engineer: I Hacked
6K Accounts for Sex Pics, Vids
Oct 1, 2019 5:03 AM CDT
Ex-Yahoo Engineer: I Hacked 6K Accounts for Sex Pics, Vids
Reyes Daniel Ruiz pleaded guilty to targeting younger women, including friends, co-workers
- Young women who were colleagues or friends of Reyes Daniel Ruiz may not like the news they're hearing, though at least they can take comfort that he's been busted. CNN reports that the 34-year-old software engineer pleaded guilty in federal court Monday to using the access he used...
Ex-CEO Blames Russians
for Attacks on Yahoo Data
Nov 8, 2017 4:03 PM CST
Ex-CEO Blames Russians for Attacks on Yahoo Data
Marissa Mayer says she's sorry for hacks that affected all 3 billion Yahoo users
- "I want to sincerely apologize to each and every one of our users,” Reuters quotes former Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer as saying. Mayer testified in front of the Senate Commerce Committee Wednesday regarding two massive data breaches at Yahoo. In 2013, all 3 billion Yahoo accounts were hacked...
Data Breach in
History Was Actually
Oct 3, 2017 5:28 PM CDT
Yahoo: Largest Data Breach in History Was Actually Even Larger
All 3B accounts were affected, not just1B
- Yahoo has tripled down on what was already the largest data breach in history, saying it affected all 3 billion of its users, not the 1 billion it revealed late last year, the AP reports. The company announced Tuesday that it's providing notice to additional user accounts affected by...
Yahoo Is No More
Jun 13, 2017 1:18 PM CDT
It's Official: Yahoo Is No More
CEO Marissa Mayer posts a goodbye letter
- It's official: Verizon has snatched up Yahoo in a long-anticipated $4.48 billion deal completed Tuesday that will see Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer exit with a healthy payout. Mayer will walk away with $23 million, plus stock holdings worth $200 million, report
and CNBC . In a "goodbye...
Here, Interns Can
Earn $96K a Year
May 2, 2017 11:17 AM CDT
Here, Interns Can Earn $96K a Year
Facebook's interns are a lucky bunch
- Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to keep a rewarding internship and a roof over your head . If you're prepared for a fight, you can find a great internship that also pays well—$8,000 per month in the case of Facebook. Here are the companies offering the...
Marissa Mayer Could
Walk With $186M
Apr 25, 2017 12:47 AM CDT
Marissa Mayer Could Walk With $186M
Filings suggest she will make at least that much
- Her years in charge of Yahoo haven't been what you would call an unqualified success, but Marissa Mayer still stands to make $186 million if the company's sale to Verizon goes ahead June 8. That figure includes the CEO's Yahoo stock, stock options, and restricted stock units...
Internet Pokes Fun at Name
for Combined AOL-Yahoo
Apr 4, 2017 6:25 AM CDT
Internet Pokes Fun at Name for Combined AOL-Yahoo
It's a 'special kind of bad'
- If you merge the letters from AOL and Yahoo, take a few away, and add a "t," you have Oath, which is what Verizon is planning to call a new entity combining the two companies after its acquisition of Yahoo is complete. "Billion+ Consumers, 20+ Brands, Unstoppable...
2 Russian Spies, 2 Hackers
Behind Yahoo Hack: Reports
Mar 15, 2017 10:44 AM CDT
2 Russian Spies, 2 Hackers Behind Yahoo Hack: Reports
Sources say they're to be indicted Wednesday by Justice Department
- The Justice Department is set to make a big announcement Wednesday about the massive 2014 Yahoo data breach, which affected 500 million users : the indictment of Dmitry Dokuchaev and his boss Igor Sushchin, both Russian spies from the Federal Security Service intelligence agency, as well as Russia-hired hackers Alexsey Belan...
New Male Yahoo CEO to
Get Double Mayer's Salary
Mar 15, 2017 5:03 AM CDT
New Male Yahoo CEO to Get Double Mayer's Salary
Thomas McInerney will also have a simpler job
- If Yahoo's sale of most of its business to Verizon goes through, the man hired to run what little remains of the company will receive double the salary of female predecessor Marissa Mayer, according to an SEC filing. Board member Thomas McInerney will receive $2 million base pay, twice...
Mar 13, 2017 4:25 PM CDT
Marissa Mayer Likely Getting $23M Severance
According to new filing cited by CNNMoney
- When Yahoo's sale to Verizon is complete, Marissa Mayer will likely walk away with a $23 million severance package, CNNMoney reports, citing a company filing. The package is contingent on the sale and on Mayer, who will lose her job as Yahoo's CEO, being terminated without cause. It'...
Yahoo Metes Out
Mar 2, 2017 12:13 AM CST
Yahoo Metes Out Punishment in Hacking Mess
Punishes Marissa Mayer, parts ways with top lawyer
- Yahoo is punishing CEO Marissa Mayer and parting ways with its top lawyer for the mishandling of two security breaches that exposed the personal information of more than 1 billion users and already have cost the company $350 million, the AP reports. Mayer won't be paid her annual bonus...
Verizon Getting 7% Discount
on Yahoo After Massive Hacks
Feb 21, 2017 1:48 PM CST
Verizon Getting 7% Discount on Yahoo After Massive Hacks
The deal, now worth $4.48B, is still on
- Seven months ago, Verizon agreed to buy Yahoo for $4.83 billion, the AP reports. Since then, Yahoo has revealed itself to have been the victim of the two biggest data breaches ever, resulting in information from more than a billion users being stolen. According to the
Yahoo Is Now Warning
Users of 'Forged Cookies'
Feb 15, 2017 2:37 PM CST
Yahoo Is Now Warning Users of 'Forged Cookies'
More email accounts may have been breached
- Yahoo is warning users of potentially malicious activity on their accounts between 2015 and 2016, the latest development in the internet company's investigation of a mega-breach that exposed 1 billion users' data several years ago. Yahoo confirmed Wednesday that it was notifying users that their accounts had potentially been...
Will Exit Yahoo
Board if Verizon
Deal Goes Through
Jan 9, 2017 8:16 PM CST
Marissa Mayer Will Exit Yahoo Board if Verizon Deal Goes Through
Yahoo will also change its name to Altaba Inc. if deal is done
- Yahoo will adopt a new corporate identity and slash the size of its board if the proposed $4.8 billion sale of its digital services to Verizon Communications goes through, the AP reports. The company plans to change its name to Altaba Inc. after it turns over its email, websites,...
From Yahoo: Reports
Dec 16, 2016 11:47 AM CST
Verizon Wants 'Major Concessions' From Yahoo: Reports
It still might abandon the deal, add sources
- Verizon is still interested in acquiring Yahoo after the largest data breach at an email provider—just not at the price initially agreed upon, a source tells Bloomberg . Verizon, which agreed to pay $4.8 billion for Yahoo in July, has a team exploring the possibility of a lower sale...
First Data Theft, Now a Threat
to National Security: Report
Dec 15, 2016 12:32 PM CST
First Data Theft, Now a Threat to National Security: Report
Stolen data from Yahoo involved more than 150K accounts of government workers, military: Bloomberg
- Yahoo announced Wednesday that hackers lifted info from more than 1 billion accounts —said to be the largest single data breach ever of an email provider—and more bad news emerged later that day about who some of the account owners were. Per Bloomberg , upward of 150,000 military...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.