Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Earth Has Breached
Its 'Safe Operating
Space for Humanity'
Sep 14, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Earth Has Breached Its 'Safe Operating Space for Humanity'
Planet's climate, biodiversity, and other key measurments 'are all out of whack'
- Earth is exceeding its "safe operating space for humanity" in six of nine key measurements of its health, and two of the remaining three are headed in the wrong direction, a new study said. Earth's climate, biodiversity, land, fresh water, nutrient pollution, and "novel" chemicals (human-made compounds...
Deadly 'Double Whammy:'
Heat Wave, Plus Air Pollution
Jul 27, 2023 1:29 PM CDT
Deadly 'Double Whammy:' Heat Wave, Plus Air Pollution
Researchers see an increased risk of fatal heart attacks with this combination
- Prolonged heat can increase the risk of a heart attack. So, too, can exposure to air pollution. "The two things together are more than a double whammy," epidemiologist Joel Kaufman of the University of Washington tells the
Wall Street Journal
, referring to a new study in the journal...
Internet Praises This
'Genius' DIY Air Purifier
Jun 9, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Internet Praises This 'Genius' DIY Air Purifier
Box fan, some air filters, and duct tape are what people are using to fend off wildfire pollutants
- Social media users are sharing a surprisingly effective way to protect yourself indoors from the toxic wildfire smoke blanketing much of the East Coast: a box fan, four air filters, and a whole lot of duct tape. As searches for "air purifiers" spike on Google, people are posting on...
Made NYC's Air
Worst in the World
Jun 7, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Wildfire Smoke Made NYC's Air Worst in the World
Canadian wildfires have brought unhealthy air to much of the eastern US
- In New York City, officials have asked vulnerable people to stay indoors or wear masks when they go outside—and it's nothing to do with COVID. Smoke from Canadian wildfires has made the city's air quality "very unhealthy," Mayor Eric Adams said late Tuesday, urging all...
This Was Beijing on Friday
Mar 10, 2023 11:30 AM CST
This Was Beijing on Friday
Chinese capital all but disappears amid a dust storm and heavy pollution
- Skyscrapers in Beijing disappeared into the haze and air quality plummeted as China’s capital was enveloped in a dust storm and heavy pollution on Friday. Concentrations of the tiny PM2.5 particles that can reach deep into the lungs and bloodstream entered a dangerous range on air quality monitoring...
13% of US Child Asthma
Cases Blamed on Gas Stoves
Jan 6, 2023 1:11 PM CST
13% of US Child Asthma Cases Blamed on Gas Stoves
It's about the same prevalence as caused by second-hand smoke, researcher says
- Gas stoves, found in 35% of US homes, are responsible for about one in eight cases of childhood asthma in the US, according to what researchers describe as "eye-popping" new findings. Studies have shown gas stoves, even when not in use , emit a level of pollution "that can...
This Is a 'Wake-Up Call'
on Danger of Air Pollution
Sep 13, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
This Is a 'Wake-Up Call' on Danger of Air Pollution
Researchers discover how fine particulate matter triggers gene mutations to form lung cancer
- For some of us, cells in our lungs mutate with age. These mutations seem perfectly healthy—until they come up against air pollution. The result is rapid changes in the cells that turn them cancerous, which could explain why people who've never smoked still develop lung cancer, according to...
Amid War in Ukraine,
a New Looming Concern
Apr 25, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
Amid War in Ukraine, a New Looming Concern
Contamination of nation's water, air, and soil could take years to assess and clean up, experts warn
- Death and destruction isn't all that's been left in the wake of Russia's unrelenting war on Ukraine. Contamination of the nation's water, air, and soil are also now a concern, and it's an issue that could take years to remedy. Fires, explosions, building collapses, and...
Research Adds to Case
Against Gas Stoves
Apr 10, 2022 6:05 PM CDT
Research Adds to Case Against Gas Stoves
Scientists say potentially harmful emissions are worse than thought
- Among environmental researchers and government regulators, it’s already common knowledge that gas appliances produce emissions that are potentially harmful to humans, including nitrogen oxides, toxic particulate matter, carbon monoxide, and even formaldehyde. That’s why furnaces and water heaters are required to be vented outside the building. Researchers are...
EPA Rule for Trucks Would Cut
Some Emissions by 90%
Mar 7, 2022 7:20 PM CST
EPA Rule for Trucks Would Cut Some Emissions by 90%
Environmental groups urge moving quickly toward 100%
- The Biden administration is proposing stronger pollution regulations for new tractor-trailer rigs that would clean up smoky diesel engines and encourage new technologies over the next two decades. The proposal released Monday by the Environmental Protection Agency would require the industry to cut smog- and soot-forming nitrogen oxide emissions by...
Study: China Manipulated the
Weather for Centenary Event
Dec 6, 2021 9:07 AM CST
Study: China Manipulated the Weather for Centenary Event
Country used cloud seeding to lower air pollution, bring about clear skies, say researchers
- As the 100th anniversary of China's Communist Party approached in July, the government wanted to make sure that the event was pulled off without a hitch—including ensuring there was good weather for the big day. Which is why researchers out of Tsinghua University are now saying that officials...
Interactive Map Details
Toxic Hot Spots Around US
Nov 2, 2021 11:01 AM CDT
Interactive Map Details Toxic Hot Spots Around US
ProPublica uses EPA data to produce what may be the most detailed map yet
- The journalistic organization ProPublica has crunched EPA data to produce what it calls the most detailed map ever of industrial sites that produce cancer-causing air pollution. The project has identified more than 1,000 "toxic hot spots" around the country with a threshold of having a 1 in 100,...
Egypt Confiscates Ever Given
in Dispute Over Compensation
Apr 13, 2021 3:15 PM CDT
Egypt Confiscates Ever Given in Dispute Over Compensation
Ship damaged Suez Canal, cost other companies, and added pollution
- The ship that shut down the Suez Canal last month when it ran aground has been taken over by Egypt in a battle over compensation. Egypt wants about $1 billion from the ship's Japanese owners and insurers to cover damage the Ever Given did to the canal, the cost...
The Air in Subway Stations
Is as Bad as You Think
Feb 10, 2021 12:55 PM CST
The Air in Subway Stations Is as Bad as You Think
Study finds NYC has particularly high air pollution
- All those Salesforce employees in New York City who are giving up the commute for good may have more reasons than one to be glad about it. A study published Wednesday in the journal
Environmental Health Perspectives
looked at the quality of the air during AM and PM rush hours...
by Air Pollution
Dec 16, 2020 1:05 PM CST
9-Year-Old's Death Officially Caused by Air Pollution
It's a landmark coroner's ruling in London
- Ella Kissi-Debrah died in 2013 at the age of nine. On Wednesday she reportedly became the first person to ever have air pollution given as a cause of death on her death certificate. CNN reports on the landmark coroner's ruling regarding Ella, who lived near one of London's...
Trump Administration Won't
Tighten Air Quality Standards
Dec 7, 2020 7:02 PM CST
Trump Administration Won't Tighten Air Quality Standards
EPA scientists were among the experts who wanted a change
- Despite evidence of the harmful effects of air pollution on people with COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses, the Trump administration has decided against tightening soot standards. The Environmental Protection Agency instead will lock in limits put in place by President Obama's administration in 2012 for another five years. Experts...
Sep 18, 2020 8:46 AM CDT
Smoke Forces Yosemite's Closure
Hazardous air expected for several days
- Yosemite National Park has been closed indefinitely as smoke from wildfires turns the air into a polluted mess. An air quality monitor run by the federal government showed a pollution score of 681 in the park on Thursday, per the
Los Angeles Times
. Hazardous air is anything scoring above 300....
at Unexpected Sight
Apr 10, 2020 8:53 AM CDT
Amid Lockdown, Residents Gasp at Unexpected Sight
People in India say they can see Himalayas for first time in decades
- On a clear day you can see forever—or, suddenly, the Himalayas, if you're a resident of northern India. The world's biggest lockdown due to the coronavirus started in India at the end of March, and everyone staying home in the nation of 1.3 billion people seems...
An Aussie Open
Cloaked in Smoke:
'I Couldn't Walk
Jan 14, 2020 6:17 AM CST
An Aussie Open Cloaked in Smoke: 'I Couldn't Walk Anymore'
One player quit her match, 2 called medical timeouts, Sharapova's match called off amid fires
- The Victorian government's advice as Australia's bushfires rage on is to "minimize the time spent in smoky conditions" and "avoid exercise"—both tough to do if you're competing outdoors in the Australian Open. But that's what players were forced to contend with Monday...
Mountain Lions May Have
Dec 3, 2019 10:30 AM CST
Mountain Lions May Have Unusual Enemy—Fog
Scientists say mercury-laden fog results in dangerously high levels in California pumas
- It's not the type of predator that turns up in nature shows. But researchers in California say fog—yes, fog—poses a threat to mountain lions, reports
. The reason? The marine fog in the Santa Cruz Mountains carries mercury, and that neurotoxin settles on the ground and works...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.