Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Had a Very
Apr 29, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Jeff Bezos' Bank Account Had a Very Bad Day
Stock slide shrinks founder's personal wealth by $18B
- It took a single day for the effects of Amazon's quarterly loss to be brought home to Jeff Bezos. The company's founder fell Friday to No. 3 on the list of the world's richest people, after Amazon reported Thursday that it had lost $3.8 billion in...
Meet the 10 Richest
People in the World
Apr 5, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Meet the 10 Richest People in the World
You know many of them already, including Elon Musk at No. 1, per 'Forbes' annual billionaires ranking
is trying to make us feel bad for the world's billionaires, it's not really working. The magazine notes that, collectively, this group is now worth $400 billion less than they were a year ago, thanks to the ongoing pandemic, tepid markets, and war—but 1,000...
Not Going to
Space After All
Mar 18, 2022 12:57 AM CDT
Pete Davidson Not Going to Space After All
After Blue Origin flight delayed, he can no longer make it
- Pete Davidson has bowed out of a short ride to space on a Jeff Bezos rocket. The
Saturday Night Live
star is no longer able to make the flight, which has been delayed for nearly a week, Bezos' space travel company said Thursday night. No other details were provided, the...
Pete Davidson Going
to Space This Month
Mar 14, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Pete Davidson Going to Space This Month
His Blue Origin flight is scheduled for March 23
Pete Davidson may be fighting with Kanye West , but he's also going to space. Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin company said Monday that the
Saturday Night Live
star will be part of a six-person flight to the edge of space on March 23, reports NBC News .
Our original story
Dutch Locals Plan a Smelly
Welcome for Bezos' Yacht
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 12, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Dutch Locals Plan a Smelly Welcome for Bezos' Yacht
Group aims to pelt it with rotten eggs because of need to dismantle historic bridge
When Jeff Bezos' mega-yacht makes its maiden voyage sometime this summer, the Amazon founder might want to wear protective gear. Not for the elements—for eggs. Jalopnik reports that a growing Facebook movement in the Dutch city of Rotterdam is enlisting people to chuck rotten eggs at the ship....
Meta Plunge Knocks
Zuckerberg Out of
Top 10 Billionaires
Feb 4, 2022 5:13 AM CST
Meta Plunge Knocks Zuckerberg Out of Top 10 Billionaires
Bezos is set to get $20B richer
- Share price swings have brought the fortunes of two tech billionaires up—and down—by amounts equivalent to the GDPs of small countries. Shares in Meta, Facebook's parent company, plummeted 26% on Thursday, bringing Mark Zuckerberg's net worth down by around $29 billion to $85 billion, reports Reuters...
Tornado May Have Broken
Dec 12, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Tornado May Have Broken World Record
Meanwhile, candle factory survivors would be 'miracle'
- Saturday's devastating Kentucky tornado carved an over 200-mile track that could rival the longest on record as the stormfront smashed apart a candle factory, crushed a nursing home and flattened an Amazon distribution center, all while killing upwards of 70 people.
The longest tornado on record tracked for
Bezos Rocket Launches
Strahan, 5 Others Into Space
Dec 11, 2021 9:17 AM CST
Bezos Rocket Launches Strahan, 5 Others Into Space
This was the third flight by Blue Origin
This file has been updated with the return flight.
Jeff Bezos’ rocket company, Blue Origin, launched its latest trip to space Saturday morning. The New Shepard rocket blasted off about 10am, and the crew returned safely to Earth in a capsule about 10 minutes later. Among the six people...
Bezos Makes 2 Big Donations
Nov 22, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Bezos Makes 2 Big Donations
$100M donation from Amazon founder is largest Obama foundation has ever received
- Barack Obama’s foundation announced Monday that it has received a $100 million donation from Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, which it says is the largest individual contribution it has received to date. The former president's foundation said in a statement that the gift from Bezos is intended "to...
Bezos' $500K Donation
Met With Groans
Nov 17, 2021 9:07 AM CST
Bezos' $500K Donation Met With Groans
Baby2Baby donation from world's second-richest man fell flat: Page Six
- Celebrities including Jeff Bezos raised $8.5 million for Baby2Baby, a nonprofit that provides diapers and other necessities to children living in poverty, at its 10th annual gala in Los Angeles on Saturday, per
. But if Bezos was expecting a pat on the back for his $500,000...
Musk Pokes at Bezos After
Blue Origin Loses Lawsuit
Nov 5, 2021 5:11 AM CDT
Musk Pokes at Bezos After Blue Origin Loses Lawsuit
'You have been judged,' Musk quips
: Jeff Bezos' space company has lost a federal lawsuit against NASA over the decision earlier this year to award a lunar lander contract to SpaceX. The US Court of Federal Claims ruled against Blue Origin, which argued in the August lawsuit that NASA disregarded "key flight safety requirements"...
Amid Lofty Goals,
a More Earthly Snub
Nov 2, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Amid Lofty Goals, a More Earthly Snub
Israeli minister was shut out of climate meetings because forum wasn't wheelchair accessible
- The world climate summit continues in Scotland, and the coverage of COP26 is wide-ranging. A sample:
The US has formally rejoined a group known as the High Ambition Coalition at the climate talks, reports the
. The group, made up of developed and developing countries, will push for nations
Shatner: Prince William
Is 'Lovely' but Wrong
Oct 15, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
Shatner: Prince William Is 'Lovely' but Wrong
He says Blue Origin voyages are 'baby steps' toward greater things after prince's criticism
: William Shatner says Prince William is a "lovely, gentle, educated man"—but he's got the "wrong idea" about space tourism. After the prince said the world's greatest minds should focus on fixing problems on Earth, Shatner told
that trips like his Wednesday...
Oct 12, 2021 9:09 AM CDT
Musk Widens Richie-Rich Gap, Trolls Bezos
SpaceX CEO tweets a silver medal at space race rival
- Elon Musk is pulling further ahead of Jeff Bezos as the world's richest man, and trolling all the way. Privately-held SpaceX saw its valuation rise to $100.3 billion this week as insiders agreed to sell up to $755 million in stock to new and existing investors at $560...
Blastoff Date Is Set
Oct 4, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
William Shatner's Blastoff Date Is Set
Blue Origin rocket will carry TV's Captain Kirk, age 90, into space on Oct. 12
We now have a launch date for William Shatner. The AP reports the
actor will blast off from West Texas on Oct. 12. "Yes, it's true; I'm going to be a 'rocket man!'" the nonagenarian tweeted Monday, adding , "It's...
Blue Origin Staff
Oct 1, 2021 6:44 AM CDT
Current, Former Blue Origin Staff Pen Scathing Essay
Former comms chief says Jeff Bezos' company ignores safety concerns
- "Blue Origin's culture sits on a foundation that ignores the plight of our planet, turns a blind eye to sexism, is not sufficiently attuned to safety concerns, and silences those who seek to correct wrongs." So claim 21 current and former employees of Jeff Bezos' spaceflight company...
a $2B Offer
Jul 27, 2021 7:57 AM CDT
Jeff Bezos Makes NASA a $2B Offer
Ex-Amazon CEO wants to again compete in moon race against SpaceX
- If Elon Musk thought he had the sole lock on building NASA's next lunar landing vehicle, there may be a new wrench in the works. In April, the space agency announced it was offering Musk's SpaceX a $2.9 billion contract to build the spacecraft that will take...
Astronaut? Not So Fast,
FAA Tells Bezos
Jul 24, 2021 8:51 AM CDT
Astronaut? Not So Fast, FAA Tells Bezos
Rule may exclude billionaire from high-flying club
- Jeff Bezos may have reached outer space, but the billionaire may never get to be officially dubbed an astronaut. Per BBC , the FAA announced its Commercial Astronaut Wings program the same day Bezos boarded his Blue Origin spaceship trained on the outer reaches of Earth's atmosphere. But rather than...
Bezos' Nod to
Does Not Go Over Well
Jul 21, 2021 8:16 AM CDT
Bezos' Nod to Amazon Workers Does Not Go Over Well
Space flight indulgence came as Amazon delivery drivers are without health insurance, critics say
- After his quick trip to space on Tuesday, Jeff Bezos had some people to thank. "I want to thank every Amazon employee, and every Amazon customer because you guys paid for all this," the world's richest man said at a news conference, per CBS News . That comment...
Bezos Says View of Earth
Changed His Priorities
Jul 20, 2021 12:41 PM CDT
Bezos Says View of Earth Changed His Priorities
Amazon's founder announces his recommitment to environment work
- Jeff Bezos has made plans and donations to combat the effects of climate change, but he's been criticized for not doing more, even by Amazon employees. Now that he's satisfied his space itch, Bezos said his focus will turn to environmental issues. He gained a new perspective up...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.