Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dramatic Tuition Cuts
Expose a Pricing 'Feint'
Dec 15, 2022 7:20 PM CST
Dramatic Tuition Cuts Expose a Pricing 'Feint'
Almost nobody pays the full price, reports 'New York Times'
- Those applying to college over the next few months may notice many private institutions have slashed tuition fees amid the rising cost of living and growing skepticism about whether a degree is worth the cost. But as the
New York Times
reports, there's more to the price cut than...
Tears Flow as 3rd-Graders
Surprised With Free College
May 11, 2022 1:11 PM CDT
Tears Flow as 3rd-Graders Surprised With Free College
It's the second such gift from Arizona's Rosztoczy Foundation—and not the last
- A group of 63 third-graders in Phoenix, Ariz., have just been offered a full ride to college. And don't worry, the offer did not come from the overpromising Michael Scott . Instead, it's from Arizona's Rosztoczy Foundation , a private family organization with a history of following through, per...
Dollywood to Pay
Feb 10, 2022 3:42 PM CST
Dollywood to Pay Education Tab for Workers
All 11K employees will have college tuition, books, and other costs covered
- "Learn more" is one of the principles Dolly Parton laid out for her foundation. Dollywood employees will now receive help achieving that goal, CBS News reports. Tuition, fees, and books will be covered for all Dollywood workers who want to continue their education. The offer applies to seasonal, part-time,...
Amazon Ups Ante in
Hiring, to Full Tuition
Sep 9, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Amazon Ups Ante in Hiring, to Full Tuition
In a new hiring incentive, four-year degrees will be covered
- Amazon's chief financial officer said this summer that to keep staffing up during the pandemic, "We're spending a lot of money on signing and incentives." The cost of staying hired up will be going up, after Amazon announced Thursday that it will pay the full cost...
As Competition for Workers
Heats Up, Target Offers
Aug 4, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
As Competition for Workers Heats Up, Target Offers Debt-Free Education
Company says it will cover entire cost of 250 business-related programs
- With competition for retail workers heating up, Target has joined a growing number of employers, including rival Walmart , offering free college tuition. The retail giant says it plans to invest $200 million over the next four years in a program to offer " debt-free undergraduate degrees " and free textbooks,...
Walmart to Pick Up Cost
of Tuition for Employees
Jul 27, 2021 1:47 PM CDT
Walmart to Pick Up Cost of Tuition for Employees
Workers in the program stay longer and are promoted more often, company says
- Walmart is stepping up its effort to help employees wanting to earn college degrees by fully covering the cost of tuition and books. The company announced a nearly $1 billion five-year investment on Tuesday, the
reports, with employees able to pick from 10 academic partners like the University...
Tuition for Yale
Is Now $0
Jun 30, 2021 4:43 PM CDT
Tuition for Yale Drama School Is Now $0
David Geffen's $150M donation makes education free
- Meryl Streep will now be able to say, "It wasn't like that when I was in school" without being melodramatic. Yale Drama School announced Wednesday that it will no longer charge tuition, after receiving a $150 million donation from David Geffen. The free education begins this fall and...
Feb 21, 2020 8:50 AM CST
USC Makes a 'High-Octane' Tuition Move
California private school will waive tuition for families making $80K or less a year
- In what the
Los Angeles Times
calls a "high-octane" effort to open its doors to more middle- and low-income students, the University of South California announced a major initiative Thursday that will get rid of tuition for families earning $80,000 a year or less, starting with new students...
New Mexico Just
Went 'Bold' on College
Sep 18, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
New Mexico Just Went 'Bold' on College
With legislative approval, tuition will be free at all state schools for everyone, regardless of income
- A good number of US states are already on board with offering free tuition at state schools to students who financially qualify, but one state just put forward what Slate calls a "bold plan" that surpasses the others. The
New York Times
reports that New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan...
He Died With
Now Has 33 'Kids'
Jul 19, 2019 8:34 AM CDT
He Died With No Descendants, Now Has 33 'Kids'
'Dale's Kids' honor frugal Iowa carpenter who changed their lives
- Dale Schroeder died in 2005 with no descendants, though 33 Iowans who never knew the man now consider themselves "Dale's Kids." It's a heartwarming tale that began when the unmarried Schroeder—who worked as a carpenter in Des Moines for 67 years—walked into his lawyer'...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 21, 2019 7:33 AM CDT
Universities Could Have Lowered Tuitions—but They Didn't
Online courses gave them the chance
- Think college debt is killing America? Then consider how universities missed the chance to lower tuitions—by hoarding a secret windfall and giving the rest to companies you've likely never heard of, HuffPost reports. Called "online program managers," or OPMs, the companies create online courses for such...
What New York Is Doing for
College-Age Maria Victims
Oct 23, 2017 11:27 AM CDT
What New York Is Doing for College-Age Maria Victims
Tuition help being offered to displaced students at 64 state universities
- Mainland US universities are offering a helping hand to students in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands affected by Hurricane Maria. Some schools are granting students discounted tuition at the rate for in-state residents; others are waiving tuition altogether for a semester, NPR reports. Tuition help is being offered...
10 States With the
Most Student Debt
May 19, 2016 9:29 AM CDT
10 States With the Most Student Debt
Sorry, Delaware pupils
- The average American college student owed $28,950 at graduation in 2014—but students in some states are even worse off. 24/7 Wall St. rounds up the top 10 states with the most student debt on average—based on 2014 numbers from the Institute for College Access and Success—noting...
Mass. High School Student
Begging for College Tuition
Apr 18, 2016 7:38 AM CDT
Mass. High School Student Begging for College Tuition
That's not an exaggeration
- Emily Stutz is begging to get into college—as in really begging. On Saturday, the high school senior from Lowell, Mass., was at a shopping center holding a sign that read: "H.S. Senior. No $ for College. Anything helps," reports CBS Boston . "My first day outside...
The 'Million Student March'
Nov 12, 2015 12:30 PM CST
The 'Million Student March' Is Happening
Protesters want free tuition, student debt forgiveness, and more
- Across the country Thursday, students will be walking out of classrooms as part of the "Million Student March." The demonstrations were planned as a protest against student loan debt, with students calling for not only tuition-free education at public colleges and forgiveness of student loans, but also for...
Recent Grads Who
Think Degree Was
Worth It: Just 38%
Sep 30, 2015 11:12 AM CDT
Recent Grads Who Think Degree Was Worth It: Just 38%
But there is one thing that makes a big difference
- Just 38% of recent college graduates (from 2006 on) "strongly agree" that their education was worth its price, a new Gallup-Purdue Index study finds, and 8% felt strongly that it wasn't worth it. The number rises to 50% for all college graduates (more than 30,000 total) who...
CEO Offers Free Tuition
for Employees' Kids
Jun 16, 2015 3:23 PM CDT
CEO Offers Free Tuition for Employees' Kids
No strings attached for workers at Boxed
- While some companies provide employees with free lunches or gym memberships, Boxed co-founder and CEO Chieh Huang is taking swag up a notch by providing college educations for his employees’ children. The wholesale delivery service exec decided that the best way to better his employees’ lives was not to raise...
Can Now Go
Apr 2, 2015 4:36 PM CDT
These Students Can Now Go to Stanford for Free
Families who make less than $125K don't have to contribute
- Stanford already had a relatively generous financial aid program, and now it's become more so. Families don't have to contribute to tuition if they make less than $125,000 a year and have less than $300,000 in assets, excluding retirement accounts. If they make less than $65,...
Pay Tuition for
Nov 14, 2014 7:41 AM CST
Parents Must Pay Tuition for Estranged Daughter, 21
Michael Ricci, Maura McGarvey are appealing NJ judge's decision
- New Jersey's Caitlyn Ricci appeared to take inspiration from Rachel Canning when she sued her parents for college tuition earlier this year—but Ricci won. The 21-year-old hasn't spoken to her divorced parents, Michael Ricci and Maura McGarvey, since February 2013, when she moved out of her mother'...
College Grads Make 98% More Than Everyone Else
May 27, 2014 2:32 PM CDT
College Grads Make 98% More Than Everyone Else
But does that mean that college is 'worth it'?
- With college costs constantly rising , and graduates facing increasing economic challenges , more and more people are wondering if college is worth it. To which David Leonhardt at the
New York Times
offers a simple, straightforward answer: "Yes … and it's not even close." Leonhardt cites a new...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.