Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Death Threat
in case you missed it
Jun 25, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
TV Meteorologist Stepping Down After Death Threat
Chris Gloninger of Iowa's KCCI says messages last year left him with PTSD
- Meteorologists around the world are facing increasingly aggressive pushback due to their coverage on climate change, with some cases turning outright abusive . Now, the chief weather forecaster at Iowa's KCCI is stepping down from his post for just such a reason. Chris Gloninger, a Regional Emmy winner for his...
Military Drone Operators
Suffer a Heavy Mental Toll
Apr 30, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Military Drone Operators Suffer a Heavy Mental Toll
'New York Times' explores the effects on them
- Kevin Larson was a churchgoing Eagle Scout and honors student with dreams of becoming a fighter pilot. He received his officer’s commission in 2012, but by then, the Air Force didn’t need airplane pilots, it needed drone pilots. Larson was disappointed, according to a story in the
Psychedelic Drug Shows Great
Promise for PTSD Sufferers
May 4, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
Psychedelic Drug Shows Great Promise for PTSD Sufferers
Therapy assisted by MDMA (aka ecstasy) could be approved by 2023
- Ecstasy appears on track to become an FDA-approved prescription treatment if the results of the first Phase 3 trial on psychedelic-assisted therapy are any indication. As the
New York Times
reports, 67% of PTSD patients who were given a dose of the drug during therapy no longer qualified for a...
FKA Twigs: Abusive
Shia LaBeouf Gave Me PTSD
Jan 26, 2021 9:40 AM CST
FKA Twigs: Abusive Shia LaBeouf Gave Me PTSD
Singer says it took months to 'gather enough of myself' to leave him
- FKA Twigs says her boyfriend, actor Shia LaBeouf, had just strangled her in public in front of unmoving witnesses when she typed a search into Google. "Free women's abuse helpline USA." Twigs, aka Tahliah Barnett, called the first number that appeared and suddenly went from "a...
Facebook to Pay
Moderators $52M for
May 12, 2020 6:54 PM CDT
Facebook to Pay Moderators $52M for Psychological Damages
Some of them developed PTSD from viewing graphic, disturbing videos
- Facebook has agreed to pay $52 million to its content moderators, whose job has them viewing graphic and disturbing posts and videos on its platforms. In a 2018 lawsuit, third-party contractors for the company said that Facebook failed to properly protect them against severe psychological and other injuries that can...
Nation, a Big
Find on PTSD
Jan 10, 2020 7:43 AM CST
In Protest-Heavy Nation, a Big Find on PTSD
Nearly one-third of people in Hong Kong say they have PTSD symptoms
- A new study identifies a "major mental health burden" in Hong Kong, and it's linked to much of the social unrest there. Per the
, a new study published in the
journal notes that almost a third of adults there—nearly 2 million people—reported having symptoms...
Ruby Rose Ran
Into an Old Pal.
Then It All Began
Oct 12, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Ruby Rose Ran Into an Old Pal. Then It All Began 'to Unravel'
'Batwoman' actress reveals lifelong struggles with depression, suicide attempts, dissociative amnesia
- Ruby Rose made the revelation last month that she'd badly hurt doing stunts on the set of
, and she even posted an up-close look at the surgery she'd had to undergo to take care of her injuries. Now the 33-year-old actress has offered another glimpse into her...
Teen Rape Survivor
Ends Her Life
Jun 5, 2019 8:17 AM CDT
Teen Rape Survivor Who Requested Euthanasia Ends Her Life
17-year-old Noa Pothoven suffered PTSD and depression
- "After years of struggling and fighting, it's over." So reads a Dutch teen's "sad last post" Saturday on her Instagram account , noting she'd stopped eating and drinking and would soon be free from "[unbearable] suffering." The
reports on the right-to-die...
Lady Gaga Reveals Shocking
List of Mental-Health Woes
Nov 10, 2018 12:50 PM CST
Lady Gaga Reveals Shocking List of Mental-Health Woes
She calls mental health a 'crisis of epic proportions'
- "I'm telling you this because for me it was too late." So said Lady Gaga at a fundraiser Thursday about her ongoing mental-health battles,
reports. While accepting an award at the SAG-AFTRA Patron of the Artists Award event in Beverly Hills, Calif., the 32-year-old performer said...
Oct 4, 2018 8:43 AM CDT
Track Palin Booted From Veterans Court
Sarah Palin's son looking at a year in a halfway house after latest assault arrest; jail unlikely
- The oldest son of Sarah Palin will spend a year in custody after a judge ruled Wednesday that allegations of hitting a woman on the head disqualified him from a therapeutic program for veterans tied to a separate assault case. Track Palin , 29, has been accused of three attacks on...
'Rising Democratic Star'
Drops Out of Race, Cites PTSD
Oct 3, 2018 6:29 AM CDT
'Rising Democratic Star' Drops Out of Race, Cites PTSD
Democrat Jason Kander says he's 'done hiding' his post-traumatic stress disorder, depression
- "I suffer from depression and have PTSD symptoms. After 11 years, I'm finally ready to do something about it." That was the surprise tweet Tuesday from Jason Kander, an Afghanistan war veteran and "rising Democratic star" who'd hoped to become the next mayor of Kansas...
Lawsuit: My Facebook Job
Gave Me PTSD
Sep 25, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Lawsuit: My Facebook Job Gave Me PTSD
Former moderator says company doesn't do enough to help workers
- It is, by all accounts, a grueling job—poring over thousands of graphic Facebook posts to determine whether they cross the line. Now a woman who worked as such a moderator is suing the company because she says the job gave her PTSD, reports Motherboard . Selena Scola says Facebook doesn'...
Gave Me PTSD
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2018 1:30 PM CDT
Killer: Murder I Committed Gave Me PTSD
Canadian government is paying for treatment of imprisoned Christopher Garnier
- Christopher Garnier strangled Catherine Campbell to death in 2015, then dumped her body by a bridge in Halifax, Canada. Now the 30-year-old is serving a life sentence, but he made an unusual—and successful—plea to the court, reports the CBC . Garnier argued that he has PTSD as a result...
Mel B Admits
Numb My Pain'
Aug 28, 2018 12:53 PM CDT
Mel B Admits 'Drinking to Numb My Pain'
Says she'll get treatment for sex, alcohol addiction
- Mel B has a hurdle to clear before embarking on a Spice Girls tour next year. Admitting to "drinking to numb my pain" from an allegedly abusive marriage and the death of her father last year, the 43-year-old singer and
America's Got Talent
judge tells the
I Have PTSD From
Jun 5, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
Ariana Grande: I Have PTSD From Concert Attack
Her new tattoo honors Manchester
- Ariana Grande says she suffers from PTSD in the aftermath of a bombing that killed 22 people at her concert in Manchester, England, last May. "It's hard to talk about because so many people have suffered such severe, tremendous loss. But, yeah, it's a real thing,"...
Veterans Pushing States
to Approve Pot
as PTSD Treatment
Nov 26, 2017 11:45 AM CST
Veterans Pushing States to Approve Pot as PTSD Treatment
28 states include PTSD in their medical marijuana programs
- Against the backdrop of the nation's largest Veterans Day parade, Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced this month he'd sign legislation making New York the latest in a fast-rising tide of states to OK therapeutic pot as a PTSD treatment, though it's illegal under federal law and doesn'...
They Weathered War,
PTSD, and Prison.
Nov 13, 2017 11:04 AM CST
They Weathered War, PTSD, and Prison. Love Prevailed
The 'New York Times' has the story of Samuel Siatta and Ashley Volk
- A loop of blue dental floss is one of Ashley Volk's treasured possessions, and it's introduced at the start of a
New York Times
article on a moving story of a modern love that overcame great obstacles. The Chicago woman first spotted it on the ring finger of...
Paramedic's Mom Died
in His Arms. He Can't
Get Workers' Comp
Jul 12, 2017 9:16 AM CDT
Paramedic's Mom Died in His Arms. He Can't Get Workers' Comp
Quebec's Olivier Mireault was on a work call—but he responded before shift started
- In November, Quebec paramedic Olivier Mireault responded to a call at his mom's house. The 63-year-old ended up dying in her son's arms of an aortic aneurysm rupture after he couldn't revive her. "I said, 'This can't be real. Someone wake me up,'...
Veteran Accused of Executing
Service Dog Found Dead
May 8, 2017 1:50 AM CDT
Veteran Accused of Executing Service Dog Found Dead
Cops suspect suicide in death of Marinna Rollins
- A veteran in North Carolina accused of laughing as she executed her own service dog has been found dead in what police suspect was a suicide. The Fayetteville Police Department says 23-year-old Marinna Rollins was found dead in her apartment around 3am Sunday morning, the
reports. Rollins and...
Lady Gaga: 'I Have
a Mental Illness'
Dec 6, 2016 6:32 AM CST
Lady Gaga: 'I Have a Mental Illness'
PTSD, specifically, singer reveals
- During a visit to a Harlem shelter for homeless LGBT youth as part of NBC's #ShareKindness campaign, Lady Gaga revealed that she struggles with post-traumatic stress disorder after being raped years ago . "I told the kids today, 'I suffer from PTSD.' I've never told anyone...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.