Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
These Are the 10 Most
LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
Jun 6, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
These Are the 10 Most LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
San Francisco ranks No. 1, per LawnStarter
- June is Pride Month, and as LawnStarter notes, "Everyone wants the American dream—a home in a safe and supportive community—including LGBTQ people." That's why the site looked at 200 of the country's largest cities to see which ones qualify as LGBTQ-friendly, factoring in 19...
This Is the
Apr 4, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
This Is the Healthiest City in America
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Brownsville, Texas, brings up the rear
- The pandemic made many reassess the importance of staying fit, so WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities to see which are helping residents live their best wellness lives in four main categories:
(including such factors as cost of basic medicine, quality of...
This Might Be Nation's
First Pickleball Felony
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 2, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
This Might Be Nation's First Pickleball Felony
Retiree in Denver accused of defacing rec center floor with boundary markings
- Pickleball is one of the hottest sports in the nation , and now comes what is probably the first alleged felony related to its play. Authorities in Denver have charged a 71-year-old retiree with defacing a rec center's floor to mark boundaries for the game, reports CBS Denver . As a...
Here's One Thing You Definitely
Don't Want to Hear Midflight
Apr 1, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
Here's One Thing You Definitely Don't Want to Hear Midflight
Delta passengers were told windshield had shattered before being safely diverted
- A flight from Salt Lake City to DC made an unexpected landing this week, with passengers now expressing gratitude that things didn't turn out much worse. While a statement from Delta Air Lines to ABC4 simply notes that the Thursday flight was safely diverted to Denver after a "...
Denver Police Search
for Heads Stolen From Truck
Mar 6, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Denver Police Search for Heads Stolen From Truck
Box was marked 'Human Specimen'
- Denver police are investigating the theft of a box containing human heads from a parked freight company truck, officials said Saturday. The box was being transported for medical research purposes, police said in an email, per the AP . Someone broke into the truck while it was parked between Wednesday afternoon...
5 Found in Colorado
Feb 22, 2022 12:10 PM CST
5 Found in Colorado Apartment Likely Died Instantly
DA says they ingested cocaine laced with fentanyl
The five people found dead in a Commerce City, Colorado, apartment on Sunday afternoon were killed by fentanyl ODs, officials say. The victims include two men and three women who range in age from 24 to 32. A 29-year-old woman who was hospitalized and an unharmed 4-month old infant...
'Unacceptable Behavior' Shuts
Kids Museum for 10 Days
Jan 28, 2022 8:44 AM CST
'Unacceptable Behavior' Shuts Kids Museum for 10 Days
Anti-mask patrons were 'inappropriately directing their anger' toward museum staff
- If you're a Denverite who'd planned on taking the kids to the local children's museum over the weekend, you'll have to wait. NPR reports the Children's Museum of Denver has closed its doors for 10 days after angry patrons harassed staff over its mask policy....
Woman Says She
Searched a Week
Told Her Dog Died
Jan 14, 2022 1:13 PM CST
Woman Says She Searched a Week Before Service Told Her Dog Died
Liz Giorgi is warning others away from pet-sitting company Wag after what happened to Fran
- "We're committed to the safety and happiness of all dogs in our care, and peace of mind for pet parents." That's the promise of pet-sitting and -walking service Wag, as seen on its website , but one pet owner says her dog is now dead after being...
Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Jan 11, 2022 8:07 AM CST
Eagle-Eyed Neighbor Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Dusti Talavera, 23, happened to see children fall through ice on pond in Denver
- A classic winter scene of kids playing on an icy pond turned frightening in Denver over the weekend, but thanks to an observant neighbor, a major tragedy was averted. KDVR reports that four children, reportedly related, were playing on said pond near an apartment complex when the ice gave way...
This Is the City With
the Most Active Lifestyle
Jan 6, 2022 12:52 PM CST
This Is the City With the Most Active Lifestyle
San Francisco tops WalletHub's ranking, while North Las Vegas brings up the rear
- Juggling work, family, and one's own health and fitness can be a daunting task, and the latter often takes a back seat to all other responsibilities. The pandemic has caused even more people to stay away from gyms and other indoor activities. But there are some cities where residents...
Shooting Spree Suspect
Foreshadowed Attacks in Books
Dec 30, 2021 2:33 AM CST
Shooting Spree Suspect Foreshadowed Attacks in Books
Lyndon James McLeod, 47, was killed after the rampage
- The man who killed five people during a shooting spree in Denver and nearby Lakewood, Colo., had written books previewing the rampage, police say. Lyndon James McLeod, 47, who was shot and killed by a police officer Monday, wrote one novel using the pen name Roman McClay in which a...
Had Extremist Views
Dec 28, 2021 6:47 PM CST
Sources Say Denver Shooter Had Extremist Views
5th victim dies after Lyndon McLeod's Monday rampage
- Police have identified the gunman who killed five people in a shooting spree in Denver and nearby Lakewood Monday as Lyndon James McLeod. Police said Tuesday that McLeod, 47, apparently knew many of his victims and was already "on the radar" of law enforcement, the
Denver Shooting Spree
Leaves 5 Dead, Cop Injured
Dec 28, 2021 12:21 AM CST
Denver Shooting Spree Leaves 5 Dead, Cop Injured
Suspect among the dead in Monday tragedy
- A shooting spree through Denver and nearby Lakewood, Colorado, left at least five people dead Monday, including the suspected shooter, KKTV reports. Multiple people were also injured, including a Lakewood police officer who was in stable condition after being hospitalized with a gunshot wound, the AP reports. Three people were...
These US Cities Have the
Most, Least Holiday Spirit
Dec 15, 2021 9:30 AM CST
These US Cities Have the Most, Least Holiday Spirit
New York City is the most festive of all, while Enterprise, Nev., is a bit of a Grinch
- With 2022 almost upon us, it's the time of year when we wind down and kick back, which often includes a fair bit of festivities. LawnStarter wanted to know which places boast the most spirit of the season, so the site looked at the 200 largest cities in the...
Truck Driver Who Caused
Deadly Crash Gets 110 Years
Dec 14, 2021 6:07 PM CST
Truck Driver Who Caused Deadly Crash Gets 110 Years
Colorado law requires Rogel Aguilera-Mederos to serve 16 sentences consecutively
: A truck driver who slammed into traffic on I-70 in Colorado in 2019, leaving four people dead and six others injured, has been sentenced to 110 years in prison. Rogel Aguilera-Mederos, 26, said his brakes failed, but prosecutors said his reckless behavior and bad decisions—especially his failure to...
10 US Cities Where
People Really Care
Dec 14, 2021 11:05 AM CST
10 US Cities Where People Really Care
Madison, Wis., ranks highest in WalletHub's ranking
- In a world that's become unpredictable, it's comforting to know that across the country, there are still people who care. In some US cities, that compassion and concern for others' well-being has taken priority, and WalletHub is giving them their due. The site looked at America's 100...
Denver Without Snow in
December: It's 'Unheard Of'
Dec 1, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Denver Without Snow in December: It's 'Unheard Of'
City could log 2nd-longest period without snow within days
- Never in recorded history has Denver entered December without logging some snowfall—until now. The city, which has yet to receive its first measurable snow (more than a tenth of an inch) of the 2021 winter season, has blown past its previous record for the latest first snowfall set on...
This State Looks Tempting
Sep 7, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Nearing Retirement? This State Looks Tempting
4 Fla. cities, including Orlando, make WalletHub's top 10 list for the best places to retire
- Whether you're decades away from retirement or right around the corner, where you head after you clock out for the last time may already be percolating. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's cities, analyzing metrics in four main categories: affordability (cost of living, taxpayer friendliness, and...
Denver Tops Ranking
for World's Worst Air
Aug 8, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Denver Tops Ranking for World's Worst Air
Wildfires send smoke east, affecting Salt Lake City, as well
- Smoke from wildfires burning in the western US helped push Denver to the top of a global ranking this weekend—for world's worst air quality. The city edged out Johannesburg, 162-160, the
reports; on this scale, higher scores indicate worse air. The Colorado health department reported that...
OK, We Get It—This
City Is Extremely Fit
Jul 13, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
OK, We Get It—This City Is Extremely Fit
Arlington, Va., named fittest city in America for 4th straight year on ACSM's annual list
- For the 14th straight year, the American College of Sports Medicine, in conjunction with the Anthem Foundation, has published its Fitness Index , ranking America's largest 100 cities and Washington, DC, on more than 30 indicators regarding various health behaviors, local infrastructure, and chronic diseases. And for the fourth year...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
AP Sees a 'Political Shift' That Should Scare Democrats
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.