Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
2 Secret Service
May 20, 2022 12:26 PM CDT
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
They were involved in an allegedly drunken altercation with taxi driver in South Korea
- It might be another case of Secret Service employees behaving badly overseas : Two have been sent back to the US ahead of President Biden's trip to Asia , reports the AP . The details of what happened were still being investigated, but ABC News reports an agent got into a heated...
Uber Cuts Deal
With New York Taxis
Mar 24, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Uber Cuts Deal With New York Taxis
Company's app will list all city cabs
- Uber is short of drivers. Ride-sharing companies have cut into cabdrivers' income. An agreement that could ease both problems has been reached, allowing passengers in New York City to choose a cab when they order a ride on Uber's app, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. It's the first...
Cabbie in UK Bombing
Being Praised as Hero
Nov 15, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Cabbie in UK Bombing Being Praised as Hero
Liverpool mayor says David Perry, who survived, locked vehicle's doors on bomber
- The UK has raised its terror level threat after Sunday's explosion in Liverpool as authorities work to suss out what happened. Authorities say one person—the bomber—was killed when an explosive device detonated in a taxi cab outside the city's Women's Hospital, reports the
Debt Crisis for NYC
Taxi Drivers Just Eased
Nov 4, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Debt Crisis for NYC Taxi Drivers Just Eased
Relief deal will see medallion debt reduced to $170K per driver: 'NYT'
- A 14-day hunger strike may have helped rescue New York City's yellow taxi drivers from crushing debt . City officials announced Wednesday that a deal was reached with the largest holder of taxi loans in the city to reduce the amount owing for each owner of a medallion, a city...
She Lost a $13K Flute in a Cab.
She Got It Back 9 Years Later
Apr 22, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
She Lost a $13K Flute in a Cab. She Got It Back 9 Years Later
A music store clerk called police after a man came in to get instrument appraised
- Heidi Slyker says it was almost like losing a limb when she lost her beloved $13,000 flute in 2012. That missing piece is now back: Slyker's flute was returned with the help of a music store clerk. Slyker tells NBC Boston that she lost the silver flute in...
Cops: Cabbie Raped
Aug 12, 2020 6:10 PM CDT
Cops: Cabbie Raped 12-Year-Old Passenger
Rafael Martinez, 32, is facing multiple charges
- A New York cabbie was arrested Tuesday for allegedly raping a 12-year-old girl in the backseat of his car,
reports. A police source says Rafael Martinez, 32, picked up the girl in his livery cab Monday to take her home from her grandmother's—and, according to the girl,...
Cops: Cab Driver Saved
Woman, 92, From Scam
Feb 17, 2020 4:35 AM CST
Cops: Cab Driver Saved Woman, 92, From Scam
He took her to the police station instead of the bank
- An elderly woman in northern California would have had her bank account cleaned out by scammers if it wasn't for a conscientious cab driver, police say. Officers say the 92-year-old woman told Roseville Cab owner Raj Singh that she was going to the bank to withdraw $25,000 to...
What's Crushing So Many
Cab Drivers: Not Uber or Lyft
May 19, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
What's Crushing So Many Cab Drivers: Not Uber or Lyft
Some say it's the new predatory loan crisis
- For many New York City cabbies, the dream is to buy a medallion—a city permit that lets them own a yellow cab. But a cottage industry of sketchy loans and artificially high medallion prices ruined that dream for a generation of drivers, the
New York Times
With 7 Suicides This Year in
NYC, a 'Crisis' for Drivers
Oct 9, 2018 4:02 PM CDT
With 7 Suicides This Year in NYC, a 'Crisis' for Drivers
Taxi drivers, ride-sharing drivers face mounting debt, longer hours, too much competition
- This year, seven for-hire drivers have committed suicide in New York City. The most recent, Fausto Luna, was an Uber driver who jumped in front of a train at a Manhattan subway station Sept. 26, ABC 7 reports. The other six were yellow cab taxi drivers or drivers for livery...
Swiss Cops Bust Family
in World's Worst Getaway
Jul 22, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Swiss Cops Bust Family in World's Worst Getaway
Austrians hijacked taxi, crashed into boat, hit hedge, plunged off ledge
- Note to would-be taxi thieves with poor driving skills: Do not try this at home, or abroad. Swiss police say an Austrian family allegedly hijacked a taxi, crashed into a parked boat, drove through a hedge, and then plunged off a 4-foot-high ledge before trying to escaping on foot. St....
6th Driver Suicide in Months
Shakes NYC Taxi Industry
Jun 19, 2018 7:31 AM CDT
6th Driver Suicide in Months Shakes NYC Taxi Industry
'Something has to change'
- After driving a taxi in New York City for 30 years, 59-year-old Abdul Saleh ended up hanging himself in his rented room after finding himself $300 short of his car lease payment. Saleh is the sixth taxi driver to kill himself in the city in recent months, CBS News reports,...
Twist in Tale
of Taxi Driver
May 8, 2017 5:31 PM CDT
Twist in Tale of Taxi Driver Abducted by Prison Escapees
One convict, whom driver Long Ma today calls 'son,' had a change of heart
- Taxi driver Long Ma still remembers the words that changed a cab ride around Santa Ana, Calif., from uneasy to terrifying: "We need your help." What made that phrase, spoken to the 71-year-old Ma in his native Vietnamese, so frightening, as Paul Kix explains in his tale for...
Ohio Woman Charged
With Raping Cab Driver
Apr 12, 2017 9:40 AM CDT
Ohio Woman Charged With Raping Cab Driver
Brittany Carter indicted on two felony charges in alleged attack on 29-year-old
- It's the story of a 4:25am taxi ride and an alleged rape, but one that doesn't go the way you might expect. A 23-year-old Ohio woman was last week charged with raping her male cab driver, who was allegedly being held at knifepoint by one of the...
After Uber Kept
Giving Rides at JFK,
Jan 29, 2017 7:28 AM CST
After Uber Kept Giving Rides at JFK, #DeleteUber Surged
Ride-sharing app turned off surge pricing as taxi drivers protested
- New York City taxi drivers protested President Trump's immigration ban Saturday night with a one-hour work stoppage at JFK Airport—but Uber kept right on giving rides, reports Al Jazeera , even announcing that surge pricing had been turned off . That resulted in accusations of "strike-breaking," notes Mashable...
UK Woman: 'Cup of Tea' Invite
Led to 13 Years as Sex Slave
Dec 30, 2016 12:00 PM CST
UK Woman: 'Cup of Tea' Invite Led to 13 Years as Sex Slave
Author writes in memoir she had 4 kids while in captivity
- "Victims of slavery can be British," the BBC asserts, reporting on the story of a woman who says she was held captive for 13 years by a taxi driver she met as a teen. The tale is laid out in the memoir
, penned by an author...
Think Rideshares Minimize
Racism? Study: Think Again
Nov 1, 2016 7:47 AM CDT
Think Rideshares Minimize Racism? Study: Think Again
It's not just taxi drivers who pick up fewer African-Americans
- Research has suggested that Uber and the like are helping to alleviate some of the discrimination that runs rampant among taxi drivers—but a new study involving roughly 1,500 trips in Seattle and Boston may be casting some rain on that parade. Published by the National Bureau of Economic...
Cabbie Returns $187K,
Gets Meager Reward
Jul 6, 2016 5:03 AM CDT
Cabbie Returns $187K, Gets Meager Reward
Fare left inheritance in Boston taxi
- A man who left about $187,000 cash in a Boston taxi has been reunited with his money thanks to an honest cabbie, police say. Raymond "Buzzy" MacCausland, a driver for the Independent Taxi Operators Association, picked up a fare with a cast on one leg on Saturday. "...
in Japan: 'Ghost'
Feb 5, 2016 9:16 AM CST
Spooky Tale in Japan: 'Ghost' Taxi Passengers Near Tsunami
Taxi drivers swear they had eerie encounters
- When a Japanese college student started corresponding with taxi drivers in Ishinomaki in Miyagi prefecture for her senior sociology thesis, some became irritated, while others pretended they didn't hear her,
reports. But seven out of 100 drivers actually answered Yuka Kudo's odd question—"Did you...
Escapees Fought About
Killing Cabbie: Sheriff
Feb 1, 2016 5:55 PM CST
Escapees Fought About Killing Cabbie: Sheriff
California prison inmates allegedly drove him up to San Jose
- Three fugitives who broke out of a California jail in January—and were captured about a week later —apparently kidnapped a taxi driver and got in a physical fight about whether to kill him. That's one claim authorities made today about the remarkably complex breakout, the AP reports....
Cab Passenger Rants
About ISIS, Attacks Driver
Nov 30, 2015 3:45 PM CST
Cab Passenger Rants About ISIS, Attacks Driver
'He came out of the house carrying a rifle in his hand'
- Around 1am on Thanksgiving day, a Pittsburgh taxi driver picked up a man outside Rivers Casino—and ended up in a hospital bed after a possible hate crime. The passenger was talkative: "He started the conversation and began to ask questions like, ‘You seem to be like a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.