Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
2019 Was a Bad Year
for One Kind of Killing
Dec 14, 2019 11:30 AM CST
2019 Was a Bad Year for One Kind of Killing
From Burkina Faso to California, houses of worship came under deadly fire
- On Dec. 1, a band of assailants opened fire on worshippers at a small-town Protestant church in Burkina Faso, an impoverished West African country where the Christian minority is increasingly a target of attacks. The victims included the pastor and several teenage boys; regional authorities attributed the attack to “...
New Law in India May
Signal a Fundamental Change
Dec 12, 2019 8:16 AM CST
New Law in India May Signal a Fundamental Change
Critics say citizenship legislation undermines nation's policy of secularism
- A new citizenship bill is causing mass protests in India, and a big concern of critics is that India is on the path to abandoning its status as a secular nation because of the pro-Hindu policies put forward by the government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Coverage:
Perfect, but No
Dec 11, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Suu Kyi: We Weren't Perfect, but No 'Genocidal Intent'
Myanmar leader describes Rohingya exodus as 'tragic'
- Once touted as a human rights champion, Aung San Suu Kyi defended Myanmar against a claim of genocide on Wednesday, arguing the exodus of 700,000 Muslim Rohingya was an unfortunate consequence of a legitimate response to terrorist violence. Myanmar's security forces launched "counter-insurgency operations" following attacks by...
During School Shooting, Teen
Unlocks Mosque for Students
Dec 6, 2019 9:00 AM CST
During School Shooting, Teen Unlocks Mosque for Students
17-year-old Duaa Ahmad stayed calm, acted quickly during chaos at Wisconsin high school
- When students in an AP English class at a Wisconsin high school heard a gunshot Tuesday and the teacher yelled for the students to go, what followed was a complete state of confusion and chaos. One student, however, knew just what to do as she and her classmates at Oshkosh...
Teen Posts About 'Another
Holocaust,' Gets Banned
Nov 28, 2019 3:00 PM CST
Teen Posts About 'Another Holocaust,' Gets Banned
Feroza Aziz talked about more than beauty in TikTok video
- TikTok's decision to ban a US teenager and suddenly reverse course didn't pass unnoticed on Thanksgiving Day. "TikTok is trying to cover up this whole mess," Feroza Aziz, 17, tells the
Washington Post .
"I won't let them get away with this." It all...
for a Genocide
Case. A Big Name
Leads the Way
Nov 21, 2019 7:59 AM CST
Myanmar Readies for a Genocide Case. A Big Name Leads the Way
Country leader Aung San Suu Kyi will head legal team in Rohingya case
- Myanmar said Wednesday its leader Aung San Suu Kyi will head the legal team contesting a genocide case filed against it in the International Court of Justice over the crackdown on Rohingya Muslims two years ago that set off their exodus to Bangladesh. Myanmar’s military has been accused of...
No Bias in 'ISIS'
Cup for Muslim Man
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 7, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Starbucks Sees No Bias in 'ISIS' Cup for Muslim Man
Drink order was for Niquel Johnson, aka Aziz
- A man in Islamic dress believes he faced discrimination at a Starbucks in Philadelphia, where an employee at another location last year called police on two black men , prompting nationwide racial bias training . Niquel Johnson gave his Islamic name, "Aziz" (ah-zeez), to a Starbucks barista on Aug. 25 but...
India Is Banning 'Instant
Divorce' for Muslims
Aug 1, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
India Is Banning 'Instant Divorce' for Muslims
Men had been allowed to end marriages by saying 'Divorce' three times
- Indian lawmakers have approved a bill to end the Muslim practice of instant divorce, two years after the country's Supreme Court ruled that it violated the constitutional rights of Muslim women. Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said the bill's approval by the upper house of Parliament reflects the...
After Easter Bombings,
a Gruesome Retaliation
May 14, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
After Easter Bombings, a Gruesome Retaliation
Mobs attack Muslim homes, shops, mosques and hack a man to death
- A Sri Lankan Cabinet minister says a Muslim man was killed and dozens of shops and mosques were destroyed in communal violence in apparent retaliation for the Easter Sunday bombings that killed more than 250 people. Rauff Hakeem, leader of the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress, says that the man was...
Feds Make Arrest After
Threat to Muslim Lawmaker
Apr 6, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Feds Make Arrest After Threat to Muslim Lawmaker
The FBI says Patrick Carlineo Jr called her a 'terrorist'
- A western New York man has been charged with threatening to kill Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, the AP reports. Federal prosecutors announced Friday that Patrick Carlineo Jr. was arrested after placing a threatening call to Omar's office in Washington, DC, last month. Authorities did not say when Carlineo...
Muslim Group Sues
Over Shooting Videos
Mar 26, 2019 6:14 AM CDT
Muslim Group Sues Facebook, YouTube Over Shooting Videos
French Muslims beat NZ group to the punch
- A group representing Muslims in France is suing Facebook and YouTube over footage of the mosque shootings in New Zealand. The French Council of the Muslim Faith accuses the platforms, which raced to delete a livestream and copies that sprung up in the aftermath, of "broadcasting a message with...
2 Separate Massacres,
2 Acts of Kindness
Out of Pittsburgh
Mar 18, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
2 Separate Massacres, 2 Acts of Kindness Out of Pittsburgh
Jewish group fundraises for NZ mosque victims after Muslims did the same for Tree of Life victims
- When the Tree of Life synagogue shooting took place last October, killing 11, Muslims in the Pittsburgh area rallied to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for the victims and their families. Now, in the wake of the massacre at two Muslim mosques in New Zealand that has taken the...
Guns Used in Massacre Had
Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
Mar 15, 2019 1:28 PM CDT
Guns Used in Massacre Had Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
She was killed in 2017 terror attack, and her father is angry gunman cited her
- Stories are filtering in about what took place Friday during the mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that killed at least 49, and by all accounts they're terrifying. ABC News reports on worshippers diving under benches and leaping over fences to get away from the gunfire,...
Alabama Refuses to Allow
Imam in Execution Room
Feb 8, 2019 12:14 AM CST
Alabama Refuses to Allow Imam in Execution Room
5-4 Supreme Court decision allowed execution
- A Muslim inmate who filed a legal challenge because Alabama wouldn't let his Islamic spiritual adviser be present in the execution chamber was put to death Thursday after the nation's highest court cleared the way. Dominique Ray, 42, was pronounced dead at 10:12pm of a lethal injection...
Feb 6, 2019 9:10 AM CST
Cubs Owner Blasted for Controversial Emails on Obama, Islam
Among others sent by Joe Ricketts
- Splinter's "Billionaire's Inbox" offers a look at how "the other half" lives, and its most recent dive is quite the eye-opener. The news outlet got its hands on what the
New York Times
calls "a cache of racist emails" both sent and received by Joe...
They Blamed Politics for Their
Plot. A Judge Didn't Buy It
Jan 26, 2019 1:30 PM CST
They Blamed Politics for Their Plot. A Judge Didn't Buy It
Members of 'The Crusaders' militia group get 25+ years each
- They blamed America's divisive politics, but a judge dismissed that. "We have extremely divisive elections because our system is to resolve those through elections and not violence," said US District Judge Eric Melgren at an emotional hearing Friday for three men convicted of plotting to blow up...
Jan 10, 2019 6:25 AM CST
Has Many Seeing Red
Director Peter Farrelly says sorry for exposing himself
racked up big wins at the Golden Globes on Sunday, including a best picture honor, but it's now making headlines for different reasons.
reports the film had a "bad day" Wednesday, and the Cut reveals one issue: director Peter Farrelly used to "flash...
FB Ban Over
Dec 18, 2018 8:21 AM CST
Netanyahu's Son Earns 24-Hour FB Ban Over 'Hate Speech'
Yair Netanyahu wants all Muslims to leave Israel, called Palestinians 'monsters in human form'
- The oldest son of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was forced to take a bit of a break from Facebook over the weekend for a series of posts the social media platform said "included hate speech." The
New York Times
details some of what brought on the 24-hour...
Muslims Quickly Raise
Money for Synagogue Victims
Oct 29, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Muslims Quickly Raise Money for Synagogue Victims
The total has surpassed $100K
- In the immediate aftermath of the synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, two Muslim nonprofit groups set out to raise $25,000 for victims on the crowdfunding site LaunchGood . They passed that goal within six hours, reports the
Times of Israel
. In fact, as of Monday morning, the groups CelebrateMercy and MPower...
US May Make
Sep 11, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
US May Make Rare Move Against China
White House considers penalties over human rights issue, the treatment of Uighur Muslims
- President Trump has been quick to go after China on trade issues , but the
New York Times
reports his administration is poised to penalize Beijing on a human rights issue for perhaps the first time. The administration is considering sanctions in response to China's crackdown on minority Muslims, specifically...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.