Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ginni Thomas Tells Committee
2020 Election Was Stolen
Sep 29, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Ginni Thomas Tells Committee 2020 Election Was Stolen
Clarence Thomas' wife won't say if the two discussed her belief on voting results
- The House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol interviewed Ginni Thomas on Thursday, and was told the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas maintains her belief that the 2020 presidential election was stolen. "She said that," Democratic Chairman Bennie Thompson told CNN afterward, despite a lack...
Jan. 6 Panel's Next Target:
Clarence Thomas' Wife
Jul 25, 2022 5:15 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel's Next Target: Clarence Thomas' Wife
If Virginia Thomas won't come willingly, committee will consider a subpoena, says Liz Cheney
- The House Jan. 6 committee wants to talk to Clarence Thomas' wife, and it's hoping she'll come voluntarily. If Virginia "Ginni" Thomas declines to do so, however, a subpoena could be coming her way. Liz Cheney, the panel's vice chair, said on CNN Sunday that following...
Petition to Impeach
Thomas Picks Up Steam
Jul 4, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Petition to Impeach Thomas Picks Up Steam
The online document has been around awhile, but it gained new attention after recent rulings
- There is a movement afoot to impeach Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Per
the petition on MoveOn.org was created earlier this year after revelations that Thomas' wife, Virginia "Ginni" Thomas, pressured lawmakers and White House aides to overturn the 2020 election results. Meanwhile, Justice Thomas was the...
In Clarence Thomas Opinion,
Line About COVID Vaccine,
Cells From 'Aborted Children'
Jul 1, 2022 1:21 AM CDT
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
The vaccines do not contain fetal cells
- The Supreme Court declined to hear a case challenging New York's COVID vaccine mandate for health care workers on the grounds of religious liberty. But Clarence Thomas's dissenting opinion is making headlines. The high court justice wrote that the health care workers who brought the case "object...
University Pushes Back on Calls
for Clarence Thomas Ouster
Jun 30, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
University Pushes Back on Calls for Clarence Thomas Ouster
George Washington University says SCOTUS justice can still teach there after outcry on Roe v. Wade
- Many students at George Washington University aren't happy at the overturning of Roe v. Wade , or at Clarence Thomas' concurring opinion that takes aim at contraception and same-sex marriage—and are articulating that since the Supreme Court justice holds a teaching position at the school. And so a petition...
Should We Relax on
Gay Rights? 'Yes—and No'
Jun 27, 2022 3:04 PM CDT
Should We Relax on Gay Rights? 'Yes—and No'
Ruth Marcus warns why we shouldn't dismiss Thomas' seemingly outlier push on nixing other precedents
- Attached to the Supreme Court's majority opinion in overturning Roe v. Wade on Friday was a solo concurring opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas that suggested he'd like to also reconsider cases involving contraception, same-sex marriage, and other private sexual conduct. The pundit consensus has since deemed the chances...
Jun 26, 2022 10:04 AM CDT
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
Justice appears to be inviting legal cases that could undermine gay marriage, contraception
- When the Roe v. Wade decision came down, Clarence Thomas made headlines with a controversial separate opinion . He suggested the court, as it did with abortion, should examine the legal underpinnings of issues including same-sex marriage and the use of contraception. Thomas, part of the powerful new conservative majority on...
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas
Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Jun 24, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Justice says Supreme Court should reconsider decisions on contraception, same-sex couplings
- Roe v. Wade has been officially overturned by the US Supreme Court, eliminating federal protections for abortion rights that have been in place for nearly 50 years, but a solo concurring opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas is also getting attention. In his writing, Thomas notes that, based on the reversal...
Offers 'Pep Talk'
Jun 17, 2022 2:16 PM CDT
Sotomayor Praises Thomas, Offers 'Pep Talk' to Progressives
Justice notes her colleague's kindness, deep concern over Supreme Court 'as an institution'
- With polarizing cases on immigration, gun rights, and abortion rights looming, things are said to be tense within the walls of the Supreme Court Building. Not helping those tensions is the fact that a draft opinion of the latter case was leaked to Politico last month or the fact that...
She 'Can't Wait'
Jun 17, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
Testimony From Ginni Thomas? She 'Can't Wait'
Wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas seems willing to talk to panel about election, Jan. 6
- It's not clear when the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol will be issuing its invitation to Ginni Thomas for her testimony, but she seems open to talking with them. Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, has been increaslngly linked to...
Jan. 6 Panel:
Jun 16, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel: We Want Ginny Thomas to Testify
Committee wants to question wife of Supreme Court justice about efforts to overturn election
The House Jan. 6 panel now wants to interview Ginni Thomas about her efforts to keep the 2020 election results from being certified. Chair Bennie Thompson said Thursday the committee will issue an invitation to the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, reports Axios . The development comes after...
May 20, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Has More Ginni Thomas Election Emails
They show she implored Arizona lawmakers to disregard 2020 vote, name 'clean' electors
has obtained more messages from Virginia "Ginni" Thomas in regard to her efforts to keep former President Trump in office. Thomas—wife of the Supreme Court's Clarence Thomas—emailed two Arizona lawmakers in November 2020 and implored them to disregard vote results showing a victory...
May 15, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Thomas: Justices Don't Trust Each Other Anymore
Breakdown of faith could threaten the court, he says, while suggesting he preferred past colleagues
- In his first public comments after the leak of a Supreme Court draft opinion on abortion rights, Justice Clarence Thomas used words like "unfortunate" and talked around the issue. Thomas addressed the issues more directly in a speech Friday night in Dallas, the
New York Times
May 7, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas Speaks On This Week's 'Unfortunate Events'
After leaked draft opinion tied to overturning Roe, justice says Supreme Court won't be 'bullied'
- Chief Justice John Roberts has spoken out on the leak of the Supreme Court's draft opinion on its plans to dismantle Roe v. Wade. Now, another justice on the nation's high court is weighing in, if a bit more indirectly. On Thursday, a "relaxed and upbeat" Clarence...
Mar 29, 2022 1:47 PM CDT
Progressives: Clarence Thomas Must Go
AOC among those raising the possibility of impeachment
- Clarence Thomas is back to his Supreme Court duties after a hospital stay , but if progressives have their way, his days on the court will be numbered. A number of lawmakers on the Democrats' left flank have raised the prospect of impeachment over the newly revealed texts of Ginni Thomas...
Report: Jan. 6 Panel Wants
to Interview Ginni Thomas
Mar 28, 2022 1:34 PM CDT
Report: Jan. 6 Panel Wants to Interview Ginni Thomas
Wife of SCOTUS justice urged Trump chief of staff to overturn election results
- Ginni Thomas should expect a call from the House committee investigating the Capitol attack, sources tell CNN and the
. Insiders say the conservative activist, wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, is one of many people the panel has been looking at—and the news that she urged...
Mar 27, 2022 9:09 AM CDT
A Defense of Those Ginni Thomas Texts
'Wall Street Journal' editorial says they're embarrassing, but she's entitled to her views as a private citizen
- The conservative editorial page of the
Wall Street Journal
is coming to the defense of Ginni Thomas, wife of the Supreme Court's Clarence Thomas. This week, the
and others reported on newly revealed texts showing that Ginni Thomas urged Mark Meadows , then chief of staff to President...
Mar 25, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas Released From Hospital
Supreme Court justice had an unspecified infection
Clarence Thomas is out of the hospital. The 73-year-old Supreme Court justice was released from Sibley Memorial Hospital in DC on Friday after a weeklong stay, reports CNN . There's still not much known about his ailment, beyond an earlier description from the court of flu-like symptoms and an...
Texts: Who Is
Mar 25, 2022 9:26 AM CDT
Question in Ginni Thomas Texts: Who Is 'Best Friend?'
Clarence's wife urged Trump aide to fight election results, but importance of that is disputed
- The buzzy story in DC Friday is the revelation that Virginia Thomas , wife of Clarence, urged then-President Trump's chief of staff in text messages to try to overturn the 2020 election results. At one point, she urged Mark Meadows to "release the Kraken and save us from the...
Clarence Thomas' Wife: I Was
at Jan. 6 'Stop the Steal' Rally
Mar 15, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Clarence Thomas' Wife: I Was at Jan. 6 'Stop the Steal' Rally
But Ginni Thomas says she left before Capitol riot
- Clarence Thomas' wife, who has already come under scrutiny , reveals to the
Washington Free Beacon
that she attended the Jan. 6, 2021, "Stop the Steal" rally that preceded the mob attack on the US Capitol. However, Virginia "Ginni" Thomas says she got cold and left before then-President Trump...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tagovailoa Speaks on His Latest Hard Hit
Trump Reacts to NYT Reporter's New Book: She's a 'Creep'
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
Woman's Mysterious Death Was 'Deliberate and Personal'
Couple Didn't Get the Memo on Over-the-Top Gender Reveals
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.