Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Looking for a Paycheck?
These US Cities Have Jobs
Jan 6, 2023 10:42 AM CST
Looking for a Paycheck? These US Cities Have Jobs
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Memphis is at the bottom
- The nation's unemployment report released Friday indicates a still-strong labor market, with 223,000 jobs added in December—above the 200,000 jobs that were expected. And with the new year upon us, many are dusting off their resumes and applying, either to break back into the job market...
Pitt Students Accused
of Abusing Cadavers
Dec 28, 2022 11:50 AM CST
Pitt Students Accused of Abusing Cadavers
The school says such allegations are 'extremely rare'
- Students in an anatomy lab class at the University of Pittsburgh were taught about handling cadavers in a respectful manner, but two students allegedly went on to do the opposite. The
reports Amay Gupta and Sonel Jimenez, both 19, were charged this month with one count each of...
6 Wounded Outside Funeral
for Shooting Victim
Oct 28, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
6 Wounded Outside Funeral for Shooting Victim
Investigators look for a connection to the death of 20-year-old earlier this month
- The funeral for a 20-year-old shooting victim was interrupted Friday by gunfire outside a Pittsburgh church. Six people were wounded, one critically, in the Brighton Heights neighborhood during the service at Destiny of Faith Church, police said. The funeral of John James Hornezes Jr. was livestreamed, and viewers saw mourners...
Biden Praises Unions,
Refines MAGA Criticism
Sep 5, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Biden Praises Unions, Refines MAGA Criticism
Democrats and other Republicans must act, president says
- President Biden celebrated unions on Monday, while leaving time for attacks on "MAGA Republicans, the extreme right, and Trumpies" in his Labor Day speeches. "The middle class built America," Biden told workers in Milwaukee, CNBC reports. "Everybody knows that. But unions built the middle class."...
These Are the 10 Most
LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
Jun 6, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
These Are the 10 Most LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
San Francisco ranks No. 1, per LawnStarter
- June is Pride Month, and as LawnStarter notes, "Everyone wants the American dream—a home in a safe and supportive community—including LGBTQ people." That's why the site looked at 200 of the country's largest cities to see which ones qualify as LGBTQ-friendly, factoring in 19...
11 People Shot
During Airbnb Party
Apr 17, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
11 People Shot During Airbnb Party
No arrests yet in Pittsburgh; two juveniles were killed
- A second mass shooting in the US is making headlines this weekend. Police in Pittsburgh say two young males—both juveniles—were fatally shot and nine others were wounded when gunfire broke out at an Airbnb party Saturday night, reports the
. In a statement , the city's department of...
Cops: Banned Magician
Entering Casino Was
Just the Start
Mar 30, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Cops: Banned Magician Entering Casino Was Just the Start
Shaun Benward accused of scamming Pennsylvania casino—and not for the first time
- A self-described "magician" and "illusionist" with a long history of scamming casinos has allegedly struck again. Shaun Joseph Benward, 35, of Ocean Springs, Miss., is accused of working with 42-year-old Denielle Yvonne Derohan of Gulfport, Miss., to steal more than $10,000 from Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh, Pa....
Allegedly Killed Her,
Uber Driver Pleaded:
'I Have 4 Kids'
Feb 21, 2022 3:16 AM CST
Before Passenger Allegedly Killed Her, Uber Driver Pleaded: 'I Have 4 Kids'
Calvin Crew charged in Pittsburgh murder
- During an attempted robbery by an armed passenger on the night of Feb. 10, Uber driver Christina Spicuzza was captured on dashcam video pleading for her life before her passenger eventually killed her, police say. Calvin Crew, 22, allegedly held a gun to Spicuzza's head as he had her...
Jan 28, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Biden: We'll Fix That Bridge, Others
There are many more like the span that collapsed, local officials say
- President Biden had planned to give a speech about infrastructure needs Friday at Mill 19, a research and development hub that once was a major metals producer in Pittsburgh, WTAE reports. He did that, but he made a stop first at a place that made his point for him: the...
After Bridge Collapses,
a Human Chain Forms
Jan 28, 2022 9:05 AM CST
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
10 suffered minor injuries early Friday in Pittsburgh
- Ten people suffered minor injuries when a two-lane vehicle bridge collapsed in Pittsburgh early Friday, hours before President Biden was due to visit the city to discuss a $1 trillion infrastructure plan . The bridge, which stretches over a wooded ravine and creek in the Point Breeze neighborhood's Frick Park,...
Meteor Likely Exploded Over
Pittsburgh on New Year's Day
Jan 3, 2022 1:35 AM CST
Meteor Likely Exploded Over Pittsburgh on New Year's Day
- Residents of suburban Pittsburgh were startled on the first day of the new year by a large boom, which even shook homes. It was heard and felt throughout much of western Pennsylvania, CBS Pittsburgh reports. After much speculation (earthquake? bomb? thunder? demolition?) the National Weather Service tweeted later on Saturday...
10 US Cities Where
People Really Care
Dec 14, 2021 11:05 AM CST
10 US Cities Where People Really Care
Madison, Wis., ranks highest in WalletHub's ranking
- In a world that's become unpredictable, it's comforting to know that across the country, there are still people who care. In some US cities, that compassion and concern for others' well-being has taken priority, and WalletHub is giving them their due. The site looked at America's 100...
Attorney Who Thinks 'Like
a Criminal' Is One Himself
Nov 18, 2021 1:25 PM CST
Attorney Who Thinks 'Like a Criminal' Is One Himself
Daniel Muessig, who put out viral ad, is now a felon in Pittsburgh
- In 2014, Pittsburgh defense attorney Daniel Muessig got internet famous with a YouTube video in which he fishes for clients with the boast, "Trust me, I may have a law degree, but I think like a criminal.” Any guesses on what just happened? Correct: The 39-year-old became an...
Cops: Man Blocked Mail Truck,
Shot Worker Multiple Times
Oct 8, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
Cops: Man Blocked Mail Truck, Shot Worker Multiple Times
Suspect Erik Kortz claimed that Louis Vignone had poisoned him
- A 58-year-old Pittsburgh-area mail carrier who was looking forward to retirement has become the latest postal worker to be killed in the line of duty. Police and postal inspectors say Erik Kortz blocked Louis Vignone's mail truck with his van in a Collier Township neighborhood before shooting him multiple...
to Switch Democrats
May 19, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
Pittsburgh Moves to Switch Democrats
Ed Gainey beats two-term incumbent for mayor, nearing historic general election
- Democrats voted out Pittsburgh's mayor in their primary Tuesday, putting a challenger on track to become the first Black person to hold the city's top job. Mayor Bill Peduto, who's in his second term, called Ed Gainey to congratulate him. "Wishing him well," Peduto tweeted...
'Shoot This Thing!': Alarming
Posts Fill Cops' Private Group
Mar 23, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
'Shoot This Thing!': Alarming Posts Fill Cops' Private Group
AP finds transphobic posts about Rachel Levine
- In a private Facebook group called the Pittsburgh Area Police Breakroom, many current and retired officers spent the year criticizing chiefs who took a knee or officers who marched with Black Lives Matter protesters, whom they called "terrorists" or "thugs." The AP reports they made transphobic posts...
Woman Charged in Death
of Husband Found Near Porch
Mar 3, 2021 5:31 PM CST
Woman Charged in Death of Husband Found Near Porch
An 'overwhelming' stench of decay led police to his body
- Late last year, Janet Winbush joined in on the search for her missing husband, Deric Davis, whose body was later found wrapped in garbage bags and duct tape and placed under a deflated air mattress near the front porch of the couple’s Pittsburgh duplex. Now, Winbush is a suspect...
Delta Jet Slides Off
Feb 11, 2021 12:07 AM CST
Delta Jet Slides Off Snowy Runway
No injuries reported in Pittsburgh incident
- Firefighters had to help 77 passengers and crew members off a Delta Air Lines plane after it came off the runway amid snowy conditions in Pittsburgh on Wednesday evening. WPXI reports that it took several hours to get everybody off the Atlanta-bound Boeing 717 because it was slanted toward the...
Pittsburgh Rocked by
2 Separate Explosions
Jan 4, 2021 11:47 AM CST
Pittsburgh Rocked by 2 Separate Explosions
Device used in one of the incidents appears to be an IED, police say
- Police in Pittsburgh are investigating after explosions in two different parts of the city over the weekend. Per the
and NBC News , police first responded to calls Sunday between 9pm and 9:30pm that reported an improvised explosive device had been chucked from a moving vehicle in the Lawrenceville...
USPS Finds Trash Bags Full
of Mail on Employee's Curb
Oct 14, 2020 1:57 PM CDT
USPS Finds Trash Bags Full of Mail on Employee's Curb
Pennsylvania employee is on unpaid leave
- Garbage bags filled with undelivered mail were left on the curb for trash collectors outside the home of a postal employee in Pennsylvania, according to the US Postal Service, which describes such cases as "exceedingly rare." Special agents with USPS on Sunday discovered the bags holding "several...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.