Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Least 75 Cops Open Fire
During Shootout in Pittsburgh
Aug 25, 2023 10:18 AM CDT
At Least 75 Cops Open Fire During Shootout in Pittsburgh
Officers are all on administrative leave following Wednesday's drama, which left a suspect dead
- At least 75 police officers have been placed on leave following a shootout with a man in Pittsburgh who allegedly fired on officers serving an eviction notice. The man died of a gunshot wound Wednesday following a 6.5-hour standoff, but not before hundreds if not thousands of bullets were...
Synagogue Shooter Is
Given Death Sentence
Aug 2, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
Synagogue Shooter Is Given Death Sentence
Robert Bowers killed 11 people in Pittsburgh in 2018, the nation's deadliest antisemitic attack
- The gunman who stormed a synagogue in the heart of Pittsburgh's Jewish community and killed 11 worshippers will be sentenced to death for perpetrating the deadliest antisemitic attack in US history. The same federal jury that convicted 50-year-old truck driver Robert Bowers on 63 criminal counts recommended Wednesday that...
In Deadliest Antisemitic
Attack in US History, a Verdict
Jun 16, 2023 1:29 PM CDT
In Deadliest Antisemitic Attack in US History, a Verdict
Truck driver Robert Bowers is found guilty of killing 11 in Pittsburgh's Tree of Life synagogue shooting
- A truck driver who expressed hatred of Jews was convicted Friday of barging into a Pittsburgh synagogue and shooting everyone he could find, killing 11 congregants in an act of antisemitic terror for which he could be sentenced to die. The guilty verdict was a foregone conclusion after Robert Bowers'...
This Is America's
Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
Jun 13, 2023 4:16 PM CDT
This Is America's Friendliest LGBTQ+ City
San Francisco takes the top spot in LawnStarter's rankings, while Florida's Hialeah falls to the bottom
- It's almost the midway point in Pride Month, the celebration and commemoration of LGBTQ+ pride, with events taking place nationwide—including at the White House . LawnStarter decided to scout out what parts of the country are most pride-friendly, looking at 20 metrics for 200 of the America's largest...
Short on Cash?
Buy a Home Here
May 23, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Short on Cash? Buy a Home Here
Head to Montgomery, Alabama, for the most affordable abodes; avoid Santa Barbara, California
- With soaring home prices and interest rates, it may not seem like the best time to plunk down a down payment on a new home. Some US cities, however, make that goal more attainable than others, and WalletHub sifted through the data to suss out the top contenders. The site...
Here Are the
10 Best, Worst
US Cities to
Start a Career
May 16, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Start a Career
Atlanta takes the top spot on WalletHub's list, while the Big Apple comes in last
- Not sure where to kick off that career you've dreamed about for years? Whether you're a new grad or kick-starting a second job path for yourself, some cities have better resources than others for making such moves. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the nation's largest...
America's 'Most Irish' Cities
Mar 17, 2023 1:47 PM CDT
America's 'Most Irish' Cities
New York takes the top spot in LawnStarter's rankings
- They say everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day, but you'll see more green bagels and beer in some US cities than in others. LawnStarter looked at 200 of the largest cities in America, using publicly available data to rank which ones are the "most Irish."...
Looking for a Paycheck?
These US Cities Have Jobs
Jan 6, 2023 10:42 AM CST
Looking for a Paycheck? These US Cities Have Jobs
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Memphis is at the bottom
- The nation's unemployment report released Friday indicates a still-strong labor market, with 223,000 jobs added in December—above the 200,000 jobs that were expected. And with the new year upon us, many are dusting off their resumes and applying, either to break back into the job market...
Pitt Students Accused
of Abusing Cadavers
Dec 28, 2022 11:50 AM CST
Pitt Students Accused of Abusing Cadavers
The school says such allegations are 'extremely rare'
- Students in an anatomy lab class at the University of Pittsburgh were taught about handling cadavers in a respectful manner, but two students allegedly went on to do the opposite. The
reports Amay Gupta and Sonel Jimenez, both 19, were charged this month with one count each of...
6 Wounded Outside Funeral
for Shooting Victim
Oct 28, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
6 Wounded Outside Funeral for Shooting Victim
Investigators look for a connection to the death of 20-year-old earlier this month
- The funeral for a 20-year-old shooting victim was interrupted Friday by gunfire outside a Pittsburgh church. Six people were wounded, one critically, in the Brighton Heights neighborhood during the service at Destiny of Faith Church, police said. The funeral of John James Hornezes Jr. was livestreamed, and viewers saw mourners...
Biden Praises Unions,
Refines MAGA Criticism
Sep 5, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Biden Praises Unions, Refines MAGA Criticism
Democrats and other Republicans must act, president says
- President Biden celebrated unions on Monday, while leaving time for attacks on "MAGA Republicans, the extreme right, and Trumpies" in his Labor Day speeches. "The middle class built America," Biden told workers in Milwaukee, CNBC reports. "Everybody knows that. But unions built the middle class."...
These Are the 10 Most
LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
Jun 6, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
These Are the 10 Most LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
San Francisco ranks No. 1, per LawnStarter
- June is Pride Month, and as LawnStarter notes, "Everyone wants the American dream—a home in a safe and supportive community—including LGBTQ people." That's why the site looked at 200 of the country's largest cities to see which ones qualify as LGBTQ-friendly, factoring in 19...
11 People Shot
During Airbnb Party
Apr 17, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
11 People Shot During Airbnb Party
No arrests yet in Pittsburgh; two juveniles were killed
- A second mass shooting in the US is making headlines this weekend. Police in Pittsburgh say two young males—both juveniles—were fatally shot and nine others were wounded when gunfire broke out at an Airbnb party Saturday night, reports the
. In a statement , the city's department of...
Cops: Banned Magician
Entering Casino Was
Just the Start
Mar 30, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
Cops: Banned Magician Entering Casino Was Just the Start
Shaun Benward accused of scamming Pennsylvania casino—and not for the first time
- A self-described "magician" and "illusionist" with a long history of scamming casinos has allegedly struck again. Shaun Joseph Benward, 35, of Ocean Springs, Miss., is accused of working with 42-year-old Denielle Yvonne Derohan of Gulfport, Miss., to steal more than $10,000 from Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh, Pa....
Allegedly Killed Her,
Uber Driver Pleaded:
'I Have 4 Kids'
Feb 21, 2022 3:16 AM CST
Before Passenger Allegedly Killed Her, Uber Driver Pleaded: 'I Have 4 Kids'
Calvin Crew charged in Pittsburgh murder
- During an attempted robbery by an armed passenger on the night of Feb. 10, Uber driver Christina Spicuzza was captured on dashcam video pleading for her life before her passenger eventually killed her, police say. Calvin Crew, 22, allegedly held a gun to Spicuzza's head as he had her...
Jan 28, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Biden: We'll Fix That Bridge, Others
There are many more like the span that collapsed, local officials say
- President Biden had planned to give a speech about infrastructure needs Friday at Mill 19, a research and development hub that once was a major metals producer in Pittsburgh, WTAE reports. He did that, but he made a stop first at a place that made his point for him: the...
After Bridge Collapses,
a Human Chain Forms
Jan 28, 2022 9:05 AM CST
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
10 suffered minor injuries early Friday in Pittsburgh
- Ten people suffered minor injuries when a two-lane vehicle bridge collapsed in Pittsburgh early Friday, hours before President Biden was due to visit the city to discuss a $1 trillion infrastructure plan . The bridge, which stretches over a wooded ravine and creek in the Point Breeze neighborhood's Frick Park,...
Meteor Likely Exploded Over
Pittsburgh on New Year's Day
Jan 3, 2022 1:35 AM CST
Meteor Likely Exploded Over Pittsburgh on New Year's Day
- Residents of suburban Pittsburgh were startled on the first day of the new year by a large boom, which even shook homes. It was heard and felt throughout much of western Pennsylvania, CBS Pittsburgh reports. After much speculation (earthquake? bomb? thunder? demolition?) the National Weather Service tweeted later on Saturday...
10 US Cities Where
People Really Care
Dec 14, 2021 11:05 AM CST
10 US Cities Where People Really Care
Madison, Wis., ranks highest in WalletHub's ranking
- In a world that's become unpredictable, it's comforting to know that across the country, there are still people who care. In some US cities, that compassion and concern for others' well-being has taken priority, and WalletHub is giving them their due. The site looked at America's 100...
Attorney Who Thinks 'Like
a Criminal' Is One Himself
Nov 18, 2021 1:25 PM CST
Attorney Who Thinks 'Like a Criminal' Is One Himself
Daniel Muessig, who put out viral ad, is now a felon in Pittsburgh
- In 2014, Pittsburgh defense attorney Daniel Muessig got internet famous with a YouTube video in which he fishes for clients with the boast, "Trust me, I may have a law degree, but I think like a criminal.” Any guesses on what just happened? Correct: The 39-year-old became an...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.