Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Stories 1 - 20 |
Airline Accidentally Lets
Passengers Skip Immigration
Apr 7, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
Airline Accidentally Lets Passengers Skip Immigration
Norse Airlines tells customers to come back to JFK the next day
- A week into its Paris-New York service, Norse Atlantic Airways suffered what it calls a "disembarkation issue"—in which arriving passengers were able to step off their plane, walk through JFK, grab their luggage, and leave without going through customs. The April 5 flight evidently was treated as...
Is Out of Jail
Oct 8, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Anna Sorokin Is Out of Jail
Con woman who'd faked being rich heiress 'Anna Delvey' had been in ICE custody since March 2021
Anna Sorokin, the German national who faked being a rich heiress and inspired Netflix's
, is out of jail. The
reports that Sorokin's attorney confirmed her release Friday from Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention, where she'd been held since March 2021. "She will...
Biden's ICE Pick Caught Up
in Domestic Abuse Brouhaha
Mar 9, 2022 7:33 AM CST
Biden's ICE Pick Caught Up in Domestic Abuse Brouhaha
Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez and his wife both say the allegations are 'false'
- The Senate was expected to vote as soon as this week on President Biden's pick to lead the Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which has been without a Senate-confirmed director since 2017. That vote has now been delayed, however, following domestic violence allegations against the nominee. Senate Democrats withdrew a...
Con Artist Anna Sorokin
Sues Over COVID Case
Mar 6, 2022 8:03 AM CST
Con Artist Anna Sorokin Sues Over COVID Case
Faux socialite says federal authorities denied her request for a booster
- The US has logged more than 79 million cases of COVID since the pandemic began. Convicted con artist Anna Sorokin is making the case that hers stands out in a lawsuit against federal authorities. The 31-year-old Sorokin—who pretended to be a rich German heiress in New York City and...
ICE Deportations Hit
Lowest Point on Record
May 5, 2021 5:57 PM CDT
ICE Deportations Hit Lowest Point on Record
Biden administration emphasizes catching criminals
- Although illegal crossings into the US are still at elevated levels, Immigration and Customs Enforcement deported fewer people in April than in any month on record. According to preliminary figures, 2,962 immigrants were deported last month, a 20% drop from March. It was the first time the monthly total...
After 60-Plus Years in US,
Ex-Nazi Guard Gets the Boot
Feb 20, 2021 9:00 AM CST
After 60-Plus Years in US, Ex-Nazi Guard Gets the Boot
Friedrich Karl Berger, 95, deported for working at 'atrocious' Neuengamme subcamp in Germany
- Authorities in the US deported a 95-year-old man Friday who acknowledged working as a guard in a Nazi concentration camp. The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said in a statement that Friedrich Karl Berger, a German citizen, was sent back to Germany this month for serving as a guard for...
ICE Won't Make Arrests
at Vaccination Sites
Feb 1, 2021 6:58 PM CST
ICE Won't Make Arrests at Vaccination Sites
Government calls vaccine distribution 'a moral and public health imperative'
- No one going to a coronavirus vaccination site has to worry about Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the federal government announced Monday. All agencies "fully support equal access to the COVID-19 vaccines and vaccine distribution sites for undocumented immigrants," the Department of Homeland Security said. "It is a...
Mass Shooting Survivor
Swiftly Deported to Mexico
Feb 1, 2021 3:22 PM CST
Mass Shooting Survivor Swiftly Deported to Mexico
Rosa gave a statement to FBI, El Paso police after 2019 Walmart attack
- A woman thus far identified only as Rosa was pulled over in El Paso, Texas, on Wednesday for a faulty brake light. It turns out she had two outstanding misdemeanor traffic citations from 2015, reports KVIA . She was arrested and taken to the El Paso county jail annex, and by...
Driver Plows Into ICE
Protest, Sends 6 to Hospital
Dec 12, 2020 12:36 PM CST
Driver Plows Into ICE Protest, Sends 6 to Hospital
Suspect Kathleen Casillo said she panicked
- "It was traumatizing." That's how Desmond Marrero describes an incident Friday in which a woman plowed her car through a crowd of demonstrators in Manhattan. "One of the guys who was hit pushed me out of the way," Marrero tells the
New York Daily News
Migrant Women Who
Accused ICE OB-GYN
Are Being Deported
Nov 11, 2020 3:20 AM CST
Migrant Women Who Accused ICE OB-GYN Are Being Deported
At least 6 are already gone and 7 or more have been warned
- Six women who alleged mistreatment at the hands of a Georgia gynecologist at an immigration detention center have been deported, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement is trying to deport at least seven more, lawyers for the women say. One woman says that within hours of speaking to federal investigators, she...
DHS Will Probe
Report of Mass
Sep 17, 2020 1:54 AM CDT
DHS Will Probe Report of Mass Hysterectomies
As will House Democrats
- A whistleblower's claim of mass hysterectomies performed at an ICE detention center in Georgia will be investigated by multiple groups. Nurse Dawn Wooten made waves with her report that multiple female immigrants held at the Irwin County Detention Center have had their uteruses removed without consent, though neither the...
Sep 15, 2020 6:27 AM CDT
Whistleblower: ICE Center Performed Mass Hysterectomies
Nurse quoted in complaint says it's not clear whether women knowingly consented
- An immigration detention center in Georgia performed questionable hysterectomies, refused to test detainees for COVID-19, and shredded medical records, according to a nurse quoted in a complaint filed Monday. The complaint to the Homeland Security Department's internal watchdog relies on the accounts of Dawn Wooten, who worked full-time as...
Harvard, MIT Sue Over ICE
Order on Foreign Students
Jul 8, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Harvard, MIT Sue Over ICE Order on Foreign Students
'Its cruelty surpassed only by its recklessness': Harvard president on order to send students home
- Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are suing the Trump administration over its plan to force international students to leave the US or transfer to another college if their schools offer online-only classes this fall. "The order came down without notice—its cruelty surpassed only by its...
ICE's New Rules on Foreign
Students Called 'Horrifying'
Jul 7, 2020 3:02 AM CDT
ICE's New Rules on Foreign Students Called 'Horrifying'
They will be forced to 'depart the country' or transfer schools if their classes go online-only
- International students will be forced to leave the US or transfer to another college if their schools offer classes entirely online this fall, under new guidelines issued Monday by federal immigration authorities. The guidelines, issued by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, provide additional pressure for universities to reopen even amid...
Judge: Centers Holding
Immigrant Kids Are 'On Fire'
Jun 27, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Judge: Centers Holding Immigrant Kids Are 'On Fire'
Order mandates that children held in 3 Texas, Pa. facilities be released by July 17 due to pandemic
- A federal judge on Friday ordered the release of children held with their parents in US immigration jails and denounced the Trump administration's prolonged detention of families during the pandemic. US District Judge Dolly Gee's order applies to kids held for more than 20 days at three family...
Feds: Detained Brits
Deliberately Crossed Border
Oct 17, 2019 4:57 AM CDT
Feds: Detained Brits Deliberately Crossed Border
2 of them had previously been denied entry to the US
- American authorities are disputing the account of a British couple who say they were taken into custody after accidentally crossing into the US from Canada. Customs and Border Protection's Northwest Division released a video Wednesday that it says shows the couple "slowly and deliberately driving through a ditch"...
to Call ICE
Oct 2, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Police Chief: Cop's Move to Call ICE 'Unacceptable'
Virginia officer contacted agency on driver involved in traffic accident
- A Virginia police officer who responded to a traffic accident Sept. 21 found that one of the drivers involved lacked a state driver's license. He then looked up the driver, found out they were wanted by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement for not showing up at a deportation hearing,...
Feel Like Shouting
Not Smart in NYC
Oct 1, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Feel Like Shouting 'Speak English'? Not Smart in NYC
City issues ban on discriminatory rhetoric like 'illegal alien,' threatening to call ICE to harass
- New York City is cracking down on xenophobia, with new guidelines that ban calling people "illegal aliens" in an attempt to "demean, humiliate, or harass" them; threatening to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement in an attempt to discriminate; or telling anyone to "speak English" or "go...
82 Days in Jail
Aug 28, 2019 10:21 AM CDT
He Brought Honey From Jamaica, Spent 82 Days in Jail
Lawsuit coming in case of Maryland's Leon Haughton
- "They put me through hell." So says a legal permanent resident of Maryland jailed for 82 days after a false-positive test indicated there was liquid meth in three bottles of honey he brought back from his native Jamaica. Leon Haughton initially thought canines at Baltimore's airport detected...
ICE Blocks Immigrant Hotline
After TV Characters Discuss It
Aug 24, 2019 9:32 AM CDT
ICE Blocks Immigrant Hotline After TV Characters Discuss It
Group provides free lawyers to detainees
- Less than two weeks after characters in
Orange is the New Black
discussed a hot line detained immigrants can call for help, ICE took the line down. Six actors from the show are among the people who signed a cease-and-desist letter sent to the acting director of ICE to try...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.